FWIW.

WarDamnEagleWDE

My fear: we go on a win streak.  Someone gets injured.  We lose to UGA and the turds, AGAIN.  The built in excuse is there, AGAIN.  

After watching us against Clemson, I feel like it's dang Groundhog Day, all over again.  This is not funny.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

I'm not entirely convinced that it's been "figured out" so much as Gus has forgotten how to run it. Think about it, during those runs in 2010 and 2013, every commentator working an Auburn game fell all over themselves talking about what a genius Gus was and raved about how special a playcaller he was. If you go back and watch games during those seasons, he really did seem to have a knack for calling the exact play at the exact time. Then go back and watch last year and 2015. When he switches up tendencies and actually calls the offense the way it's meant to be called (i.e. actually running tempo, calling more than one run play, throwing on first down occasionally, etc.) it works. When he  starts calling the same dive play every first down and slipping into his run the ball, run the ball, do something wacky to convert 3rd down! pattern is when things bog down. 

So with this being the case(and I agree with your assessment) we can only conclude that we have a schizophrenic, multiple personality play calling coach; essentially two Gus Malzahn's in one body. So, my question is: Which Gus picks his nose and which one chews double bubble. I need to know his tell so I can be ready for what pathetic or somewhat intelligent playcall my come on the following play. SMH

On 9/12/2017 at 6:10 PM, casatiger said:

When the articles stop giving the head coach ANY wiggle room something is up.  Usually, the writer gives the coach some wiggle room because they want to be able to interview said coach again.  When they put their thumb on the coach and keep it there something is up.  IMO.  I think the pressure will ramp up considerably and that Gus will be held accountable for everything from here on out.  

One can only hope....

12 hours ago, jAUSon said:

Play calling and style has been such a departure from Gus's, I wonder if the person or people who may or may not have issued the directive to announce the "clipboard retirement", are also issuing other directives- like what plays to run. Curious. 

Good question and I'm curious as well.  

Are the folks giving directives/ultimatums to the head football coach in a position of experience and do they have a thorough enough knowledge of college football to qualify them to make these stringent directives?

That also leaves the question of who the hell in authority has enough knowledge and coaching experience that they feel like they can pull the HC off his area of expertise?

I just know that here are some HC's in the business today would never accept that kind of directive from the Administration.  They basically cut Gus' balls off when they laid down the law and gave him strict directives to lay off the offense after the CU game.

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Good question and I'm curious as well.  

Are the folks giving directives/ultimatums to the head football coach in a position of experience and do they have a thorough enough knowledge of college football to qualify them to make these stringent directives?

That also leaves the question of who the hell in authority has enough knowledge and coaching experience that they feel like they can pull the HC off his area of expertise?

I just know that here are some HC's in the business today would never accept that kind of directive from the Administration.  They basically cut Gus' balls off when they laid down the law and gave him strict directives to lay off the offense after the CU game.

Well that's the thing, he's not accepting this kind of directive. He went directly against that. He has a history of wiggling himself free of such situations (Arky and AU 1st time around). Maybe the pay he's earning now is too much for him to just say "fine i'll do it my way somewhere else" but if the past indicates anything Gus was not the type of guy to like to be told what to do or how to run his O.

To me it's not more about who's calling the shots (it should always be the HC), but more about why can't our HC recognize that our O looks significantly better with someone else calling the O? When Rhett had the reigns last year (even if it was teams we were better than) the way the offense operated was smoother. When Gus took control back vs Vandy last year we looked stuck in the mud again and we should've blown them out. Now, I have no problem with someone in the administration pointing this out to him to make sure he knows because frankly it displays such a lack of self awareness in running the big business that is AU football that a higher up stepping in and suggesting some changes in an attempt to keep him employed may not be the worst of ideas. He's going to get fired if he doesn't listen to the advice based on on-field performance so I don't see it as someone trying to neuter Gus as much as help him keep his job. I wish he would view this the same way. Sink on your own accord or float with the help of others? Seems like an easy choice. Especially considering the national title level talent we have on the offensive side of the ball someone with the capability AND TIME to prepare to appropriately call the offense can prosper greatly IMO

It's weird: fans always bitch about playcalling, when running a team is so much more than that. Except our team, where playcalling is just a disaster.

With no inside knowledge, it seems to me anxiety is at the core of it. Gus can't allow the team to form its own identity. He has to insert himself into possessions with gimmicky plays that show he doesn't trust anyone.

To be kind, what happened with Jeremy Johnson could make you anxious. But it's killing us now and has been for awhile.

21 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Well that's the thing, he's not accepting this kind of directive. He went directly against that. He has a history of wiggling himself free of such situations (Arky and AU 1st time around). Maybe the pay he's earning now is too much for him to just say "fine i'll do it my way somewhere else" but if the past indicates anything Gus was not the type of guy to like to be told what to do or how to run his O.

To me it's not more about who's calling the shots (it should always be the HC), but more about why can't our HC recognize that our O looks significantly better with someone else calling the O? When Rhett had the reigns last year (even if it was teams we were better than) the way the offense operated was smoother. When Gus took control back vs Vandy last year we looked stuck in the mud again and we should've blown them out. Now, I have no problem with someone in the administration pointing this out to him to make sure he knows because frankly it displays such a lack of self awareness in running the big business that is AU football that a higher up stepping in and suggesting some changes in an attempt to keep him employed may not be the worst of ideas. He's going to get fired if he doesn't listen to the advice based on on-field performance so I don't see it as someone trying to neuter Gus as much as help him keep his job. I wish he would view this the same way. Sink on your own accord or float with the help of others? Seems like an easy choice. Especially considering the national title level talent we have on the offensive side of the ball someone with the capability AND TIME to prepare to appropriately call the offense can prosper greatly IMO

My question is why does he always end up in these predicaments ? The assumption is that he is always at odds with someone whether it is head coaches or assistant coaches . I know he is not well liked at all in the state of Arkansas . This is just not at the collegiate level either .

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

My question is why does he always end up in these predicaments ? The assumption is that he is always at odds with someone whether it is head coaches or assistant coaches . I know he is not well liked at all in the state of Arkansas . This is just not at the collegiate level either .

Thats why I raised so much hell when he was hired and after 2014.      The guy has some issues.    The people in Arkansas hate his guts

2 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

Thats why I raised so much hell when he was hired and after 2014.      The guy has some issues.    The people in Arkansas hate his guts

I guess hindsight is 20/20 on my part . He was a hot commodity, still you can't ignore the constant conflicts .

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well that certainly helps clear up why he always hires yes men or people who have grossly underqualified to be on staff at particular positions in the SEC.

But I'll admit I was not happy about T-Will being promoted to LB coach but he has turned out to be a freakin rock star

3 hours ago, DyeCampAlum said:

It's weird: fans always bitch about playcalling, when running a team is so much more than that. Except our team, where playcalling is just a disaster.

With no inside knowledge, it seems to me anxiety is at the core of it. Gus can't allow the team to form its own identity. He has to insert himself into possessions with gimmicky plays that show he doesn't trust anyone.

To be kind, what happened with Jeremy Johnson could make you anxious. But it's killing us now and has been for awhile.

I respect your opinion, but the mess we are in has more layers and the demonstrated dysfunctional processes.   For instance:  take the progress from the spring and  ask, "did we see any of that against the first two games?"    or - last year, you have 8 months to figure out who your best QB is and you decide to play all three in meaningful minutes against Clemson???  If you couldn't figure out JF3 couldn't throw by September, you don't need to be HC.   Or....you go into UGA banged up with zero contingencies if you can't move the ball.  We ran the same plays throughout the game.....the list is long and excruciating.

It's more than Gus' hubris.

what cracks me up ... wasnt the party line that chizik wouldnt leave gus alone and made gus be too conservative ... so gus bailed.  well at least that head coach won the natty.  this head coach ... ummmmm, almost did ...

On 9/13/2017 at 4:21 PM, mom2kid said:

Has anyone else noticed how the media has been relentless going after Gus this week?  The negative articles continue very pointedly and charging that he is still controlling the offense and not letting CL do what he was hired to do.  They are on the warpath and determined not to let Gus escape this charge.  He dodged the question every which way at the press conference which just got everyone more irate.  This is not going away.

Gus comes across as stiff and evasive and is not a media darling for sure. They wouldn't be coming after him if he were reeling off 12 win seasons, but when you're doing poorly the media is going to make you pay. 

3 hours ago, DAG said:

I hope the next AU coach has some personality and is even somewhat entertaining in a Spurrier way. 

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I respect your opinion, but the mess we are in has more layers and the demonstrated dysfunctional processes.   For instance:  take the progress from the spring and  ask, "did we see any of that against the first two games?"    or - last year, you have 8 months to figure out who your best QB is and you decide to play all three in meaningful minutes against Clemson???  If you couldn't figure out JF3 couldn't throw by September, you don't need to be HC.   Or....you go into UGA banged up with zero contingencies if you can't move the ball.  We ran the same plays throughout the game.....the list is long and excruciating.

It's more than Gus' hubris.

my opinion about the clemson game last year ... we had a bonifide stud in jovon robinson last year.  i think he had heisman candidate written all over him.  when he got the boot, gus freaked because he knew we didnt have an sec qb.  therefore we were subjected to 5 (or was it 6) different people take snaps and the coxcat and whirlybird offensive plays (yes purposeful double entendre placement there) introduced to the auburn family forever!  after that, he was freaked for the year.

39 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I hope the next AU coach has some personality and is even somewhat entertaining in a Spurrier way. 

Give me the job.  I'll let the coaches do their thing.  Meanwhile, I'll handle the clock management, time-out usage, player/ref ass chewings, and big money glad handing.  And I promise to be a good quote for the press.  All for the low, low price of $1M per year.

21 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Give me the job.  I'll let the coaches do their thing.  Meanwhile, I'll handle the clock management, time-out usage, player/ref ass chewings, and big money glad handing.  And I promise to be a good quote for the press.  All for the low, low price of $1M per year.

I'll take the job.  I have previous experience as OC and as HC. 

4 hours ago, doverstutts said:

What forum were you member of at that time?

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

12115937_10153797570035530_8311388532392281412_n.jpg

Archived