FWIW.

WarDamnEagleWDE

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Its really perplexing/

Nah, not really.  It's really Cam Newton, Tahj Boyd, Nick Marshal, DeShaun Watson, and now maybe Bryant.  It's not Barrett Trotter, Clint Mosley, Kiehl Frazier, JJ, Sean White and maybe not Jarrett Stidham.  We'll see how this plays out.

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

This.  When Ohio State beat Alabama a few years ago, Saban flew in the offensive coordinator for OSU and asked what they saw on Bama's defense and how did they exploit it.  He also hired Kiffin, which is not something you would normally associate with Saban, because it was the best move for his team.  More than anything, he's willing to constantly learn and adapt.  Gus hasn't shown that.

I don't know if Gus can afford plane tickets for all of the defensive coordinators that have stopped his offense. :-\

46 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I don't know if Gus can afford plane tickets for all of the defensive coordinators that have stopped his offense. :-\

Be cheaper just to do it at SEC media days.

On 9/13/2017 at 9:15 AM, Beaker said:

not getting into a dirt clod throwing contest, but we scored 21 pts in the first half and like 9-10 points in the second half.  I remember scoring most of those 21 within the first 15-20 minutes of play I think.  That's what I mean....  had we not got that late TD it would have been 21 vs 3 points in the second half.  

My point is it's a trend:  FSU game, the recent UGA games, Clemson.   Against better defensive coordinators, I don't see us making adjustments that help.  I am sure there are others, but it's against the better teams.  Auburn used to win more than half of our tough games.  Now we are like 4-14 I read earlier. 

Same old, same old mess.  Same mess, different year.

Had they not scored their last touchdown it would have been 14-10 in the second half. You can't exclude things to make an argument valid. Are there cases where your thinking is correct?  Yes. Was FSU one of them?  Not really

On 9/14/2017 at 0:35 AM, tigereye78 said:

So with this being the case(and I agree with your assessment) we can only conclude that we have a schizophrenic, multiple personality play calling coach; essentially two Gus Malzahn's in one body. So, my question is: Which Gus picks his nose and which one chews double bubble. I need to know his tell so I can be ready for what pathetic or somewhat intelligent playcall my come on the following play. SMH

man, that is too damn funny. i did laugh at that

As I visit with my son here in auburn I realize based on his W-L record in important games, I am done emotionally with Gus.  2013 was successful b/c of three things we don't have today: a rare talent at QB (very rare), a pressing HUNH that just created advantages and two awesome plays.  Edit: and crazy durable beast of a RB  

Without any of those three, Gus would not be here today. 

IHe's made $10-12 mil since then and will be compared to Barfield. 

Ciao. 

7 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

It comes down to the willingness to adapt the changing landscape.  Gus truly is mentally stunted in that he believes what worked at Shiloh Christain, Arky 2006, AU with Cam 2010, AU with Nick and Tre 2013 will still work when most DC's figured Gus out by 2011.  Yes, his HS O will work with a Cam Newton or a Nick Marshall turning chicken crap calls into chicken salad based on individual talent alone, but lightning in a bottle is rare.

wde

All those offenses you mentioned are totally different from each other. 

I think Gus can actually be a really good actual Head Coach!!! That is what he does best these days. If he would just get out of Chips way and let him run the offense like HE WANTS it. It worked wonders for Steele and the defense. HE has completely lost his way as a playcaller because he refuses to adapt. His ego refuses to let him see this though. If he just would be a head coach we could become a really good team by the end of the year because he does so many things well that CEO Head Coaches do. But of course Gus does not see himself like that.

On 9/13/2017 at 5:43 PM, Strychnine said:

While I think that point is completely valid, I doubt that is why Lindsey was on the sideline then, and now going up to the box.

Gus confirmed it on the pregame report. And I was being sarcastic haha.

17 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think Gus can actually be a really good actual Head Coach!!! That is what he does best these days. If he would just get out of Chips way and let him run the offense like HE WANTS it. It worked wonders for Steele and the defense. HE has completely lost his way as a playcaller because he refuses to adapt. His ego refuses to let him see this though. If he just would be a head coach we could become a really good team by the end of the year because he does so many things well that CEO Head Coaches do. But of course Gus does not see himself like that.

My exact thoughts the other day. Gus could be a good HEAD coach but he needs to do just that and stop with all the micromanaging. It's infuriating. Honestly if I was CCL I wouldn't take ownership over the play calling at Clemson if it wasn't me because that was embarrassing and I would not want that on my record. 

Just now, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

My exact thoughts the other day. Gus could be a good HEAD coach but he needs to do just that and stop with all the micromanaging. It's infuriating. Honestly if I was CCL I wouldn't take ownership over the play calling at Clemson if it wasn't me because that was embarrassing and I would not want that on my record. 

That absolutely was not a chip lindsey offense as I am sure most of us know from watching his offenses this offseason when he was at southern miss and ASU. That was such a gus malzahn offensive gameplan if I ever saw one. Gus has no idea how to execute a pass first attack in the sec. He is trying to run the same ol stuff he has always ran and defenses have never had a easier time preparing for it.  He cannot accept that he is not the guru anymore or "genius" he thinks he is. I will admit that is what we hired him for but man oh man alive like you said he would be a really good HEAD coach if he just finally accepted that. I MEAN COME ON!! Harbaugh, Urban and Dabo NEVER called offensive plays before they became Head Coach and those 3 are 3 of the top 5 in the game now.

Archived