FWIW.

WarDamnEagleWDE

Regarding JS, you get sacked 11 times it will make you gun shy and he probably got a talking to about throwing int's. It's hard to remember to drain the swamp when your up to your ass in gators.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

This is exactly what I saw when I watched the replay (without the emotion involved). Yes the O line struggled. Yes there could have been some quicker plays drawn up. 

That said, the offense called could very easily have put up 21+ points if only JS would have hit open receivers in the middle. He never even threw them the ball when he had time. If they weren't wide open, he refused to let the ball go. All the people complaining about no crossing routes or slants only saw that none of those passes were thrown. The routes were run and were quite often plenty open to get the ball in there. The ball just wasnt thrown. The qb was scared and not seeing the field.   I think he will settle in the next few weeks and this whole argument will at least calm down.  I'd bet we are clicking by the time LSU rolls around. If we aren't then JS won't be the qb anymore. 

I said the same thing in another thread. It doesn't fit the narrative or the agenda of some poster/posers on this board. 

9 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

This is exactly what I saw when I watched the replay (without the emotion involved). Yes the O line struggled. Yes there could have been some quicker plays drawn up. 

That said, the offense called could very easily have put up 21+ points if only JS would have hit open receivers in the middle. He never even threw them the ball when he had time. If they weren't wide open, he refused to let the ball go. All the people complaining about no crossing routes or slants only saw that none of those passes were thrown. The routes were run and were quite often plenty open to get the ball in there. The ball just wasnt thrown. The qb was scared and not seeing the field.   I think he will settle in the next few weeks and this whole argument will at least calm down.  I'd bet we are clicking by the time LSU rolls around. If we aren't then JS won't be the qb anymore. 

While I wasn't happy with play calls, particularly the 2nd half, there is no question our execution sucked. 

I hate to use them as an example, but I will. Watch bama and you will see a team run a handful of plays, execute, fight and knock the snot out of you. We need a bit more of that.

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Any chance he complies now? I have a hard time believing he will. The fact that he can't just run the ship and delegate things to his Coordinators (he's never even given them a chance) is disturbing. 

Chip is in the booth, Herb on the sidelines and if Gus doesn't comply this is an option for the remainder of the season. :-\

42046_Hannibal18.jpg

21 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Any chance he complies now? I have a hard time believing he will. The fact that he can't just run the ship and delegate things to his Coordinators (he's never even given them a chance) is disturbing. 

Honestly...50/50

Good lord we have people telling the HC who was hired to coach offense not to interfere with the offense. If they feel the need to tell the coach how to coach that should tell them all they need to know about keeping him. 23, I always appreciate your insights but this has disaster written all over it.

2 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

They already have.  He has been instructed  Despite what you think of Gus he has assembled major talent across the board.  I didn't expect JS to start out like this but like WDE said we are not running the offense we practiced.  Gus still knows how to call a game with the right personnel but we don't have the right guy at qb for Gus.  We played against the best defensive line we will see all year by far.  Let this play out.  The players have not given up on him and neither have recruits yet.

Well if Gus wants to keep his job then he might want to hurry up and find the right QB, because time is running out.  

2 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

They already have.  He has been instructed  Despite what you think of Gus he has assembled major talent across the board.  I didn't expect JS to start out like this but like WDE said we are not running the offense we practiced.  Gus still knows how to call a game with the right personnel but we don't have the right guy at qb for Gus.  We played against the best defensive line we will see all year by far.  Let this play out.  The players have not given up on him and neither have recruits yet.

23, Given all of this, why is Gus still trying to fit a QB into his system if he isn't the right QB for the system? Not the first time for that. Also, wouldn't our defensive line be a good measuring stick to go by all spring and summer? JS wouldn't face a much better line than Auburn has either. I just don't get it. Thanks for your info, it's just hard to digest. 

3 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

This.  Gus has been told do not interfere with the offense anymore.  Now the running scheme is the same, but we are not running any of the RPO or passing routes we practiced all summer.  Gus thought our defense was going to win it for us which they almost did with a couple fumbles that could have been returned for tds.  The sacks all aren't on the OL either JS needs to throw the damn ball. How many did Bryant throw up for Clemson that were 50/50 and they came down with them.  I know of at least 3.  Middle of field was open all night especially 2nd half when they were blitzing lb on regular basis.

WDE, PTB and 23 are all essentially saying the same thing. I think that might be as close to a sure thing as we've seen regarding AU football in awhile.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Honestly...50/50

If that is the case then I don't see how the PTB/salary funders/auburn brass can allow him to be the coach next year - regardless of how the season plays out.  

If this continues then I see a mid year firing coming on ... crazy it has gotten to this.

like someone mentioned earlier, there may be a lot of open coaching slots.  It may be a race to see who can hire chip Kelly first (assuming he wants back in)

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

he was last year too.

Not like this. Lashlee ran the exact same offense as Gus so he was expected to throw some input in.  I honestly believe we will be undefeated goinf into Alabama. So all these mad people will be happy by years end. Our defense if the corners will start getting their head around is GOOD like best in conference good. Offense will get it together, but as long as we can get some offense going I don't see anybody beating us until a toss up in Iron Bowl. 

58 minutes ago, gr82be said:

23, Given all of this, why is Gus still trying to fit a QB into his system if he isn't the right QB for the system? Not the first time for that. Also, wouldn't our defensive line be a good measuring stick to go by all spring and summer? JS wouldn't face a much better line than Auburn has either. I just don't get it. Thanks for your info, it's just hard to digest. 

JS is a very good fit for CL RPO offense not the slow game manage offense don't lose the game type we are running with a few deep shots. We need to be speed the hell up and run the offense we have been practicing.

3 hours ago, auburnphan said:

If you are told not to do something and then you do it at one of the earliest chances you get and you fail, it angers people.

he was more encouraged before and agreed not to get involved with offense and said publicly he wouldn't. He was instructed this time.

7 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

he was more encouraged before and agreed not to get involved with offense and said publicly he wouldn't. He was instructed this time.

So he was instructed before the start of the season, or since the Clemson game?

Two points:

1. What we saw was the very best we could muster after 8 months of prep?  Makes me want to barf.

2. I fear the winning streak we are about to go on will gain enough MO to ride us to 9 wins and Gus keeps his job.  Later on we will have a couple of injuries and that will be the excuse.

I heard today for the last 2-3 yrs we have scored early against UGA and never scored again.  Happens a lot in big games - we go up, the opponent adjusts, we slow down b/c we can't counter.  Happened against FSU in 2013.  Gus can't make in game adjustments.

Face it guys, Gus is our Mike Shula. Time to pull the bandaid off and try and salvage this season. If we don't, our program will start to hemorrhage talent. There is no point in waiting, it will not get better. This is plain as day, our coach is the laughing stock of college football.

Also...what is the bucket of crap, JS isn't the kind of QB Gus needs?  If Gus is such an idiot to go get him and the others that didn't work out, then he can't tailor an offense around these talents, dude, don't pay him $4 million/yr.   If that is the case, Gus should have never recruited Stidham.

12 minutes ago, Beaker said:

we go up, the opponent adjusts, we slow down b/c we can't counter.  Happened against FSU in 2013.  Gus can't make in game adjustments.

We scored wth like 2 minutes left in that game to take the lead. The D failed to stop FSU  on the next drive where they retook the lead in the final seconds...

not that I disagree with the sentiment, but relevant facts help a case, incorrect ones hurt it

7 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Things were made perfectly clear before not encouraged,  I am positive of that.  

7 hours ago, MaxP said:

Face it guys, Gus is our Mike Shula. Time to pull the bandaid off and try and salvage this season. If we don't, our program will start to hemorrhage talent. There is no point in waiting, it will not get better. This is plain as day, our coach is the laughing stock of college football.

Here. here!   This guy gets it.   I listen to stuff all day during the season, and the above statement is spot on.   People are laughing at AU and the football program

8 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Things were made perfectly clear before not encouraged,  I am positive of that.  

If our offensive head coach is being told to not run the offense, what is he being paid to do? The guy looks like he is about to poop his pants on the sideline the minute the game starts. 

2 minutes ago, MaxP said:

If our offensive head coach is being told to not run the offense, what is he being paid to do? The guy looks like he is about to poop his pants on the sideline the minute the game starts. 

He is running a very solid program, he just can't admit and move on from a system that he built that is failing because he can't evolve it.  Gonna get him fired if he doesn't.

8 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

If someone has to basically order the head coach to do (or not do) something, is that not an indicator that you probably have the wrong man for the job?

All this time I thought I made a wise choice getting into IT work...  The amount of blatant brain farts that coaches are allowed to get away with, while continuing to be paid millions of dollars for doing it, is ridiculous.

Archived