FWIW.

WarDamnEagleWDE

18 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

He is running a very solid program, he just can't admit and move on from a system that he built that is failing because he can't evolve it.  Gonna get him fired if he doesn't.

I'm not trying to argue with you, I like your posts and don't take part in the bickering on this forum. But I don't know what metric we can use to say he is running a very solid program. Other than two miracle plays in two big games, he has lost the rest of our big games. We seem to routinely shoot ourselves in the foot before the season starts. After we lost the '13 championship I thought man we are in a great position to challenge Bama for the SEC. Great returning QB and skill players and coaches with another year in the system. But we have gotten worse and worse on offense every year. I don't want our team to play musical chairs with the head coach, but Malzahn just doesn't have it. The players and our program will suffer the longer he is our coach.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, MaxP said:

I'm not trying to argue with you, I like your posts and don't take part in the bickering on this forum. But I don't know what metric we can use to say he is running a very solid program. Other than two miracle plays in two big games, he has lost the rest of our big games. We seem to routinely shoot ourselves in the foot before the season starts. After we lost the '13 championship I thought man we are in a great position to challenge Bama for the SEC. Great returning QB and skill players and coaches with another year in the system. But we have gotten worse and worse on offense every year. I don't want our team to play musical chairs with the head coach, but Malzahn just doesn't have it. The players and our program will suffer the longer he is our coach.

Agree with everything that you said.  When I say he runs a good program I am referring to quality of student athletes, behavior, graduation rates,  recruiting, etc.   WIth all that being said I am not in favor of him continuing as our head coach.  He has shown an amount of stubbornness and other characteristics that I am not sure are gonna allow him to be an elite level coach in the SEC.

17 minutes ago, MaxP said:

I'd take solid to mean graduation rate, guys staying relatively trouble free, going to a bowl, that sorta thing. I could be way off though of course. 

17 minutes ago, MaxP said:

It's been said before. Aside from the floundering O, everything is run well. Limited off field issues, high grad rates, high qualification rates, high Team morale, great recruiting, great D, great Special teams. If his O was clicking, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

On 9/11/2017 at 10:29 PM, corchjay said:

I'll put it this way.  I fact checked something he said last week with my sources.  There was no mention of what he said and that was straight from Chip to a high school coach and then to me.  He has an agenda and that agenda is to create turmoil around Gus.  Any opportunity he gets he jumps on it because his hero D. Craig got canned for being terrible position coach.  

But I will add I have no doubt WDE has sources but some are from the bunker and the insider sources he has is just as tainted as he is.  Hit 23 up with a personal message if you want to know if we are running a different offense.  

Plus at this point Gus is the head coach.  It's his show.  He can do what he wants.  When the powers that be decide they don't want him then they will get rid of him.  

You said that your guy didn't ask Chip if he was angry. That Chip was working on the game plan for Clemson and seemed ok. He was in fact angry after GA Southern. And my info came from someone who had a headset on that night. 

And 23 confirmed in this thread that I was right on the offense. 

You can apologize here if you like. 

8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You said that your guy didn't ask Chip if he was angry. That Chip was working on the game plan for Clemson and seemed ok. He was in fact angry after GA Southern. And my info came from someone who had a headset on that night. 

I heard this on "THE DRIVE" yesterday.   Exactly as you stated

10 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I obviously missed that.  Why was he angry?

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Last time and I'm really done with this thread. Angry that Gus didn't let him run his offense against GA Southern. 

Thank you.  That is what I thought it would be.  It would anger me too if I was told to run something other than what I had practiced and prepared the team for.

That's the rub right there. All the way back to the OP. It was supposed to look different this season. Better? Who knows. But our ace in the hole was that we could play D, and our offense would look different. Apparently even the players and half the coaches felt the same. Hot mess. No forgive.

10 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

We scored wth like 2 minutes left in that game to take the lead. The D failed to stop FSU  on the next drive where they retook the lead in the final seconds...

not that I disagree with the sentiment, but relevant facts help a case, incorrect ones hurt it

not getting into a dirt clod throwing contest, but we scored 21 pts in the first half and like 9-10 points in the second half.  I remember scoring most of those 21 within the first 15-20 minutes of play I think.  That's what I mean....  had we not got that late TD it would have been 21 vs 3 points in the second half.  

My point is it's a trend:  FSU game, the recent UGA games, Clemson.   Against better defensive coordinators, I don't see us making adjustments that help.  I am sure there are others, but it's against the better teams.  Auburn used to win more than half of our tough games.  Now we are like 4-14 I read earlier. 

Same old, same old mess.  Same mess, different year.

53 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

That's the rub right there. All the way back to the OP. It was supposed to look different this season. Better? Who knows. But our ace in the hole was that we could play D, and our offense would look different. Apparently even the players and half the coaches felt the same. Hot mess. No forgive.

All the while the conference is vulnerable and Clemson was very beat-able (again). And by the way ^ I personally don't lump the FSU loss in with the rest of this. It was a different deal altogether. My $.02

23 hours ago, tinman said:

Here is the problem as I see it.  Gus is a NERD.  Sleeps only 2 or 3 hours per night.  He is then up for the remainder of the night and day with all kinds of thoughts going through his brain.  It would not surprise me one bit that he changes things at the last minute.  He outsmarts himself.  We've all seen it with some of his trickery.  Looks good on paper but falls flat on it's face in game situations.

That is why Auburn has the practice field covered with cardboard.  They always look good on paper! 

3 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Things were made perfectly clear before not encouraged,  I am positive of that.  

Oh you are positive ok then. Things were not made clear like they were after saturday. Chip will be moving to booth as I am sure all have heard. There is a reason for this. 

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

Honestly...50/50

I think he will give it a shot. He is an offensive coach and it is hard for him to stay out. Do yall honestly believe Saban is not involved in the bama defense? I am with Bird I am not sure he will comply but if he doesn't he better hope he gets his groove back and is able to call a game again. I do believe he gives chip a chance now and I am glad chip will be in booth away from gus.

22 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Oh you are positive ok then. Things were not made clear like they were after saturday. Chip will be moving to booth as I am sure all have heard. There is a reason for this. 

not sure what is with the attitude, but I have been told this and it comes from the opposite side that your sources are on I believe.

7 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Other than getting Chip away from Gus, could this also mean quiet Hand's input and let him focus more on his o-line?

10 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I think he will give it a shot. He is an offensive coach and it is hard for him to stay out. Do yall honestly believe Saban is not involved in the bama defense? I am with Bird I am not sure he will comply but if he doesn't he better hope he gets his groove back and is able to call a game again. I do believe he gives chip a chance now and I am glad chip will be in booth away from gus.

Of course he is. But once uat has a string of 3 years of a dumpster fire at defense, he will either step out of it or resign.

16 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

You just used Saban as an example, sooooooooo, lets compare the "coaching family tree" concerning the two, Saban and Malzahn.    Who has the experience to fall back on?.     And at what levels of the game?.....See the difference?

16 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Did Saban ever say he will retire himself from defense?

strawman at best 

23 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Saban is probably involved in all facets of the team. However, the results are vastly different. With his involvement, they are perennial championship contenders. Gus' involvement hasn't proved to be the same.

Archived