FWIW.

WarDamnEagleWDE

On September 11, 2017 at 9:17 PM, augolf1716 said:

Don't get me started its just hard to see how AU has not progressed one little bit. I've seen Auburn coaches before even Shug and this guy  blows my head off

On September 11, 2017 at 9:19 PM, OnthePlains said:

Damn how old are you???

Let's put it this way. Back when Coach Heisman was here,  Golf helped clean the team's leather helmets.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, around4ever said:

I'll take the job.  I have previous experience as OC and as HC. 

Me too.  I have taken many teams to championships on Madden and NCAA Football :)

9 hours ago, DAG said:

My question is why does he always end up in these predicaments ? The assumption is that he is always at odds with someone whether it is head coaches or assistant coaches . I know he is not well liked at all in the state of Arkansas . This is just not at the collegiate level either .

Having many friends in Arkansas, the one thing that I know for certain is that Gus is actually really popular with a lot of people in Arkansas.  Do you remember the Arkansas State game 2 years ago when Ark State came to Auburn?  When the game was over and Ark State had lost, the team and everyone that traveled with them could have been expected to run back to the locker rooms and then get to their bus for the trip back. Instead, around 50 people formed what looked like a receiving line so that each one of them could speak to Gus and shake his hand before heading home.  To Gus's credit he made the time to speak to every one of them.  You don't do that for someone that you don't like or respect. 

His first coaching job was at Hughes High School.  They have named their field after him. He has been honored at Springdale and at Shiloh Christian. He was voted into the Arkansas Coaches Hall of Fame by his peers in Arkansas.  The primary reason he has always been under Bret Bielema's skin at the University of Arkansas is that Bielema resented being compared to what Gus was doing at Auburn and resented even more the fact that when he would throw verbal barbs Malzahn's way, someone would stop by his office and tell him to lay off of Gus. 

Gus may have already coached his best teams at Auburn and without serious improvement, he will likely not be Auburn's HC in 2018.  That doesn't mean that he isn't a good man or that he doesn't know how to coach.  It simply means that it isn't working at Auburn any longer.

Louisville's defense isn't on the same level as either our or Clemson's defense.  Can Louisville score enough to overcome that?  I don't know.  We will see./

57 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Having many friends in Arkansas, the one thing that I know for certain is that Gus is actually really popular with a lot of people in Arkansas.  Do you remember the Arkansas State game 2 years ago when Ark State came to Auburn?  When the game was over and Ark State had lost, the team and everyone that traveled with them could have been expected to run back to the locker rooms and then get to their bus for the trip back. Instead, around 50 people formed what looked like a receiving line so that each one of them could speak to Gus and shake his hand before heading home.  To Gus's credit he made the time to speak to every one of them.  You don't do that for someone that you don't like or respect. 

His first coaching job was at Hughes High School.  They have named their field after him. He has been honored at Springdale and at Shiloh Christian. He was voted into the Arkansas Coaches Hall of Fame by his peers in Arkansas.  The primary reason he has always been under Bret Bielema's skin at the University of Arkansas is that Bielema resented being compared to what Gus was doing at Auburn and resented even more the fact that when he would throw verbal barbs Malzahn's way, someone would stop by his office and tell him to lay off of Gus. 

Gus may have already coached his best teams at Auburn and without serious improvement, he will likely not be Auburn's HC in 2018.  That doesn't mean that he isn't a good man or that he doesn't know how to coach.  It simply means that it isn't working at Auburn any longer.

I am going to completely disagree with you seeing as I lived in northwest Arkansas when he coached there. The general consensus is dislike. First, he coached at Shiloh Christian. Shiloh Christian is one of the most hated private schools in Arkansas. Part of it was because they ran the score up on a bunch of public schools and were very uppity which didn't sit right with folks. Another huge reason for his dislike was he took some priced prospects from Arkansas including Frazier and Dyer. Then there are also people who partly blame him for the divide between him and nutt. The Springdale 5 were great players but they also caused internal issues within the program. They were partly the reason he got the gig at Arkansas. Also when he was at Arkansas state ( here some inside information) he told those Boys he was not leaving them and then he did a 180 and said he would only do something like this for Auburn. CGM is not liked by the majority of that state. In fact, Jeff Long didn't even waste his time giving him an interview because he is such a controversial figure in that state.

now, this doesn't negate what he did in Arkansas. He did a lot there. Heck, he did a lot here. He has definitely transcended the game. You can't argue stats and data. But that doesn't necessarily mean he is liked.  Just go take a look at hogville and search any thread about Gus Malzhan dating back to 2008 and on and see the responses. He is very much liked in Northwest Arkansas because he made his impact there, but that is one small portion of the state.

And here, from my POV, It looks like he has had internal strife almost every where he went at the power 5 level. Issues with Nutt, Issues with Chizik, supposedly issues with Craig, I don't think him and Rhett Lashlee are on the best of terms..potentially issues with the power brokers now...just too much to ignore.

6 hours ago, DAG said:

I am going to completely disagree with you seeing as I lived in northwest Arkansas when he coached there. The general consensus is dislike. First, he coached at Shiloh Christian. Shiloh Christian is one of the most hated private schools in Arkansas. Part of it was because they ran the score up on a bunch of public schools and were very uppity which didn't sit right with folks. Another huge reason for his dislike was he took some priced prospects from Arkansas including Frazier and Dyer. Then there are also people who partly blame him for the divide between him and nutt. The Springdale 5 were great players but they also caused internal issues within the program. They were partly the reason he got the gig at Arkansas. Also when he was at Arkansas state ( here some inside information) he told those Boys he was not leaving them and then he did a 180 and said he would only do something like this for Auburn. CGM is not liked by the majority of that state. In fact, Jeff Long didn't even waste his time giving him an interview because he is such a controversial figure in that state.

now, this doesn't negate what he did in Arkansas. He did a lot there. Heck, he did a lot here. He has definitely transcended the game. You can't argue stats and data. But that doesn't necessarily mean he is liked.  Just go take a look at hogville and search any thread about Gus Malzhan dating back to 2008 and on and see the responses. He is very much liked in Northwest Arkansas because he made his impact there, but that is one small portion of the state.

And here, from my POV, It looks like he has had internal strife almost every where he went at the power 5 level. Issues with Nutt, Issues with Chizik, supposedly issues with Craig, I don't think him and Rhett Lashlee are on the best of terms..potentially issues with the power brokers now...just too much to ignore.

Truth and a well known fact

7 hours ago, DAG said:

A few years ago, I asked for their opinion on an Arkansas forum.  I got the feeling that it was a split between wishing they had him at Arkansas, and seething hatred (for mostly the reasons you mentioned).  One thing was for certain:  there was no middle ground.  People either loved him or hated him.

As for internal strife, by all accounts he is a control freak and stubborn.  I can see that being a recipe for internal strife, especially when things are not going perfectly.

32 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

A few years ago, I asked for their opinion on an Arkansas forum.  I got the feeling that it was a split between wishing they had him at Arkansas, and seething hatred (for mostly the reasons you mentioned).  One thing was for certain:  there was no middle ground.  People either loved him or hated him.

As for internal strife, by all accounts he is a control freak and stubborn.  I can see that being a recipe for internal strife, especially when things are not going perfectly.

Your assessment is probably more accurate. I also agree with the stubbornness comment 

8 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Ex: Nick Saban 

Saban is a control freak . Wouldn't call him stubborn . He knows what he knows and what he doesn't know. He is willing to adapt with the game as seen with him hiring lane kiffin. The best leaders can do that.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Saban is a control freak . Wouldn't call him stubborn . He knows what he knows and what he doesn't know. He is willing to adapt with the game as seen with him hiring lane kiffin. The best leaders can do that.

He can adapt when needed but he can also be stubborn.  Not like Malzahn stubborn but stubborn in his own way. 

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

To take your statement a little further, Saban seems to listen to his assistance and they feel a part of the process.  As Strychnine mentions above, Gus doesn't seem to listen to his assistance and they do not feel like their input is appreciated or listened to.  A receipt for internal strife.  We don't know the real reason our assistance leave, but it seems this internal strive is a part of the exodus.

This strife maybe manifesting itself in front of our eyes, especially with unrest between Gus' new hire OC and Gus.  We'll see how it works out.  If Gus can adapt, he may have a chance.

20 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

To take your statement a little further, Saban seems to listen to his assistance and they feel a part of the process.  As Strychnine mentions above, Gus doesn't seem to listen to his assistance and they do not feel like their input is appreciated or listened to.  A receipt for internal strife.  We don't know the real reason our assistance leave, but it seems this internal strive is a part of the exodus.

This strife maybe manifesting itself in front of our eyes, especially with unrest between Gus' new hire OC and Gus.  We'll see how it works out.  If Gus can adapt, he may have a chance.

This.  When Ohio State beat Alabama a few years ago, Saban flew in the offensive coordinator for OSU and asked what they saw on Bama's defense and how did they exploit it.  He also hired Kiffin, which is not something you would normally associate with Saban, because it was the best move for his team.  More than anything, he's willing to constantly learn and adapt.  Gus hasn't shown that.

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This.  When Ohio State beat Alabama a few years ago, Saban flew in the offensive coordinator for OSU and asked what they saw on Bama's defense and how did they exploit it.  He also hired Kiffin, which is not something you would normally associate with Saban, because it was the best move for his team.  More than anything, he's willing to constantly learn and adapt.  Gus hasn't shown that.

Pretty much this . 

Gus's situation reminds me of an old newspaper cartoon called "Pogo". I don't even know if it is still around anymore. Pogo and his friends used to say "we have met the enemy and they is us", which is where Gus is IMO. I just hope he recognizes this situation and how it applies to him. Time will tell.

WDE!!!

17 hours ago, DAG said:

Ofcourse, there is always internal strife when things start going poorly.  When things are going great, not so much.  Every situation you pointed to in Arkansas had nothing to do with Gus personally, and everything to do with either where he was coaching or the fact that he made a decision to leave and take a job paying millions that enabled him to secure his family's future.  The line of people that would not have made that same decision doesn't exist.  The Springdale 5 was the vehicle that allowed Gus to make the jump to college football.  That situation worked two ways.  It was also the final bargaining chip that Nutt could use to get those kids to stay in state and play at Arkansas.  Houston Nutt is a fine one to complain about loyalty...see Ole Miss. 

Maybe its just me, maybe I'm different in this regard, but I simply think that its distasteful to pile on a man's character when things aren't going well.  Especially given the fact that when he engineered the biggest turn around in college football history the same people were quiet as a church mouse.  I think its more than clear who got the better coach when Arkansas hired Bielema and Auburn Malzahn.  One has a championship ring as a coordinator, to go along with an SEC Championship and National Title game appearance as a head coach, while the other has ______________.  Part of the reason that Long didn't make a push for Gus was his fear of being told no.

7 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Gus does need to adapt to the changing landscape, but its more than that.  The interesting thing is that Clemson won the title last year running the offense that Gus taught to Chad Morris. Morris then passed it down to the current co-coordinators when he went to SMU.  Clemson's co-coordinators spent time in Auburn last summer fine tuning that offense even more.  Its really perplexing/

5 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Gus does need to adapt to the changing landscape, but its more than that.  The interesting thing is that Clemson won the title last year running the offense that Gus taught to Chad Morris. Morris then passed it down to the current co-coordinators when he went to SMU.  Clemson's co-coordinators spent time in Auburn last summer fine tuning that offense even more.  Its really perplexing/

So maybe they were there secretly spying ?Lol

5 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

It comes down to the willingness to adapt the changing landscape.  Gus truly is mentally stunted in that he believes what worked at Shiloh Christain, Arky 2006, AU with Cam 2010, AU with Nick and Tre 2013 will still work when most DC's figured Gus out by 2011.  Yes, his HS O will work with a Cam Newton or a Nick Marshall turning chicken crap calls into chicken salad based on individual talent alone, but lightning in a bottle is rare.

wde

Archived