Is our offensive line actually that bad?

mikeholiday

This guy is an idiot. He wants to blame Stidham more than anything. STIDHAM WAS NOT THE PROBLEM.

And for the love of god, his disclaimer at the start says it all. He has never even played football much less coached it. So his opinion (by NOT EVEN PLAYING) means less than NOTHING. 

DISCLAIMER: I’m not a coach. I’ve never played football outside of practice in middle school. I don’t have the All-22 film. All conclusions here are my best guesses based on watching football my entire life and being a play-design nerd. Those conclusions should be interpreted as such.

13 hours ago, mikeholiday said:

https://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2017/9/11/16289348/remedial-film-school-why-is-football

Sacks are not always the fault of the line. For all those interested. 

It is up to the QB to read defense at the LOS.  I talked about this in another thread and the QB should be able to move the line based on the coverages he sees.  But here at Auburn, the QB doesn't even look at the defense till after the ball is snapped.  It's not all on JS at all bc he's operating in the world of Malzahn.  

I feel that in a game similar to ours where you are playing an SEC caliber defense (which Clemson def. is), the qb has 3-4 seconds max. to throw from the time he gets the snap. If no one is open, then he must make a decision between his options which are:

Dump the ball off to a RB or WR running a short route.

Run with the ball and p/u as much as you can.

Throw the ball away and try again.

I feel the o line was giving Stidham adequate time, but the problem was our brilliant offensive mind(s) were calling 30-40 yard passing plays and when they were not open immediately he was taking his very worst option, which was holding the ball. Stidham was probably able to do this and get away with it in the Big 12 where they could care less about playing defense, but not gonna happen here in the SEC. The coaches need to adjust to shorter routes and Stidham needs to realize that when that 3-4 seconds is up and there is no open receiver he needs to opt to his check downs, or either run the ball, or throw it away. Don't hold the ball and get sacked!

If these adjustments are made by the coaches and by Stidham, I believe our o line will be fine.

Watching the Saints game last night, I noticed that they were getting blitzed almost every play but that the RB would chip the DE on the weak side of the OL and then slip into a screen. Not sure why we never see any of that -- check downs seriously help in a couple different ways.

Here is my take on the OL

On the left side we have Mike Horton at guard who is getting his first chance to get significant playing time.

At the all important LT position we have Wanogho who.has played football for about three years.

In the first two games this unit has given up 14 sacks and 22 tackles for loss and the offensive coaches do not expect to make any changes.

As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it. ?

Archived