Let's not forget our OL coach.....

TigerfanKM

4 minutes ago, TigerfanKM said:

I realize CGM is responsible for hiring coach Hand and the new guys we have  playing, but I think he should be held way more accountable for the double digit sacks. Your thoughts?

we had a good Oline coach, now i don't know what we have, but i ain't impressed with him at all

Apparently, Hand is a run game coordinator with obvious strengths in the run game. However, we ran 42 pass plays last game and pass protection isn't his strength.

Herb certainly had a Hand in the 11 sacks if you know what I mean. 

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Apparently, Hand is a run game coordinator with obvious strengths in the run game. However, we ran 42 pass plays last game and pass protection isn't his strength.

Herb certainly had a Hand in the 11 sacks if you know what I mean. 

Well, our run game was not exactly lighting it up against Clemson either.  Of course, running an obviously less than 100% RB into the ground probably did not help things.

wde

Worse O-Line coach in recent history at Auburn. Watch the games and see how many players go completely untouched and the O-Line acts like they don't even know who they are supposed to be blocking a lot of the time. He doesn't compare to JB Grimes.

2 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Worse O-Line coach in recent history at Auburn. Watch the games and see how many players go completely untouched and the O-Line acts like they don't even know who they are supposed to be blocking a lot of the time. He doesn't compare to JB Grimes.

True and JB Grimes was not exactly stellar either.

wde

12 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Well, our run game was not exactly lighting it up against Clemson either.  Of course, running an obviously less than 100% RB into the ground probably did not help things.

wde

RBU has a shortage of RB's. Both primary backs are banged up, our speed back was a no-go because he would've had problems with the size of the blitzing linebackers in pass pro, and Barrett is either young or not very good. Malzahn has started a Michael Dyer as a TF afterall. 

Remind me to remind others that we need running backs whenever we miss on the next 5* RB . "Gus never has problems at RB" isn't true when we have to rely on Kerryon running 16 straight or gimpy, slow-poke Pettway in the 4th quarter against Clemson. 

But Geez people, he has appeared on celebrity cooking shows and feeds the press and guys from time to time. Quite the impresario on the BBQ Grill and laying in the menu. Oh, that's not what we are paying big bucks for? But, he and Gus are such a team. After all, they were together at Tulsa and we all know what a powerhouse they were. Tongue planted firmly in cheek!

The dude is way more interested in trying to be funny and amass twitter followers than being a hard nosed, kick a$$ O-line coach. I wasn't super familiar with him before the hire but can tell you he's literally done nothing to impress since he's been here. We've done pretty good in recent years at bringing in some O-line recruits and if anything, been able to out talent some opponents. That's about it. 

Honestly surprised it took this long to bring up CHH. This was one of the first things I thought about. His track record is not exactly the best. The guy can apparently recruit - but our line should be pretty dang stout in the run and pass game by now. Neither have looked great to this point. We look lost at LT. Kudos to Smith and Golson though - those two are still doing a great job. I am a bit disappointed in Darius James. He should have much better footwork at this point in time. I am not very sure who that is on.

It seems like every offensive position is being under coached, especially in the blocking scheme.  I think when you run a simpleton offense and the defense can focus in on a couple of plays they gain the first step and know how to attack the weaknesses of the scheme.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

It seems like every offensive position is being under coached, especially in the blocking scheme.  I think when you run a simpleton offense and the defense can focus in on a couple of plays they gain the first step and know how to attack the weaknesses of the scheme.

Gus doesnt work without a fast tempo,  something we didnt have outside of the first quarter (and that wasnt even that fast).   Everything suffers when we slow it down. 

Just now, auskip07 said:

Gus doesnt work without a fast tempo,  something we didnt have outside of the first quarter (and that wasnt even that fast).   Everything suffers when we slow it down. 

My point is more of this, we run up the middle, do a jet sweep and hope to hit a play action bomb pass.  This is all the defense has to focus on.   In comparison to basketball it is like having the guard that can't shoot a 3 pointer or can only shoot a 3 pointer or doesn't have a solid weak hand.  It simplifies defending him.  A pitcher that only has a good fastball is not gonna be good, etc.   

However with this comparison to our offense, it is being done by choice of the coaching staff because of the scheme and failure to adjust and adapt.  Not from a lack of skill at the positions.  I think it handcuffs position coaches as well.   JMO

We didn't block very well at all.. but Stidham still failed to pull the trigger many times and also would not throw the ball away. 

How many times do you run to the sideline and let yourself go down behind LOS? Throw the ball away!!!

In 2015, the oline at penn state was a record breaking one.....coached by herb hand, they set a record for the "MOST SACKS ALLOWED" in the history of penn state football....let that sink in!............then go watch video of offensive line play at vandy 3 years ago....i promise that you'll be just as impressed as you were saturday night

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

RBU has a shortage of RB's. Both primary backs are banged up, our speed back was a no-go because he would've had problems with the size of the blitzing linebackers in pass pro, and Barrett is either young or not very good. Malzahn has started a Michael Dyer as a TF afterall. 

Remind me to remind others that we need running backs whenever we miss on the next 5* RB . "Gus never has problems at RB" isn't true when we have to rely on Kerryon running 16 straight or gimpy, slow-poke Pettway in the 4th quarter against Clemson. 

You're assuming Gus from 2010 is the same Gus from 2017.  And he's not.  Gus from 2010 wouldn't be calling these asinine plays or coming up with these putrid game plans.  Malik Miller and DB would have been just fine to play Saturday.  But the stubbornness of Gus is what led to them being on the bench.

14 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

In 2015, the oline at penn state was a record breaking one.....coached by herb hand, they set a record for the "MOST SACKS ALLOWED" in the history of penn state football....let that sink in!............then go watch video of offensive line play at vandy 2 years ago....i promise that you'll be just as impressed as you were saturday night

Don't need to watch it.  Gus goes directly against the Auburn creed and makes a mockery of the university by using nepotism to hire coaches on his staff.  His entire offensive staff is yes men who aren't qualified and certainly didn't earn it as our Auburn creed suggests that we can count on only what we earn.  I'm tired of Gus using nepotism to hire unqualified coaches and I'm sure someone will say that's life and it happens and you're right BUT in this case it's costing Auburn wins and I'm sick of it.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

I think someone off the street could be an instant millionaire overnight bc they could defend Gus offense.  It's the most predictable offense I've ever seen.  I honestly think Gus offense is as stinky as that Tony Franklin trash offense that was here.

4 minutes ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

Don't need to watch it.  Gus goes directly against the Auburn creed and makes a mockery of the university by using nepotism to hire coaches on his staff.  His entire offensive staff is yes men who aren't qualified and certainly didn't earn it as our Auburn creed suggests that we can count on only what we earn.  I'm tired of Gus using nepotism to hire unqualified coaches and I'm sure someone will say that's life and it happens and you're right BUT in this case it's costing Auburn wins and I'm sick of it.

While I agree in principle,  cant include Steele, Brown, Horton, or Williams in that catagory

Just now, Auburn2Eugene said:

While I agree in principle,  cant include Steele, Brown, Horton, or Williams in that catagory

Offensive side of the ball I meant.  That's the cancerous side he's created of his own doing.

1 hour ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

Offensive side of the ball I meant.  That's the cancerous side he's created of his own doing.

I agree but Horton is on the offensive side and I feel he is our best/most important assistant

1 hour ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

I think someone off the street could be an instant millionaire overnight bc they could defend Gus offense.  It's the most predictable offense I've ever seen.  I honestly think Gus offense is as stinky as that Tony Franklin trash offense that was here.

Tony Franklin could have let Dabo Swinney pick his QB for him and he would've put up more than 6 points and 117 yards against Clemson. And he could've done it with the same roster he was working with in 2008, which wasn't nearly as good as this one. 

Very obvious our O line, despite all the experience, was totally over matched against the Clemson front.  Heck, they even looked over matched at times against GA Southern.  We will have no chance against the likes of LSU, UGA and Bammer if someone doesn't straighten that mess out.  

On several run plays I saw the OL do a terrible job of coming off their combo blocks and allow a scraping LB to fill the hole untouched.  Even if you don't come off the double, you at least have to push that DL back into the LBs lap, and that ain't happening.  That stuff is zone blocking 101, but it takes lots of live reps to nail it.  Of course Malzahn runs a lot of man powers and counters as well, but that stuck out at me a few times.

Archived