Bad loss for AU but...

austudnt23

@doverstutts, There are a lot of opinions on this board with varying degrees of knowledge supporting them. Most on here really love Auburn and a few are trolls. The ones that care about Auburn all want the same thing. We just have various ways of saying it;  frustration, humor and sarcasm seem to be the major ones but make no mistake, we love our Auburn Tigers. There are some on here who will argue their point with a brick wall. It doesn't take long to find out who it is. I don't agree with everything I read here but it's their opinion. I have no inside sources except for a few of the folks on this board. It's where I get my info. You'll have way more friends on here without the needless back and forth with insults. That happens plenty in the political forum if you feel the need. The best advice is to not react to a post but to respond to a post instead. By the way, welcome to AU Family. Family will not always agree with each other but they respect each other. 

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

On the flip side however, Oklahoma does not have a good defense, Clemson has one of the best defenses in the country.  We lost because of their defense, not because of their offense.  Each game was decided for different reasons, true.  But both are valid.  Both teams (Ohio State and Auburn) have deficiencies right now.  I would say that Ohio State has more issues than us though in watching their game.  Both sides of the ball are having issues, where for us, it is only on offense.

Just so you know, I am a guy (:laugh:).  In those three games though, two of those were against the top defenses in the country, which deserve credit like our defense does.  The other I will give to you as I was confused like you of what was happening.

For both of you, the way I am approaching everything is from a 7,000 foot view.  I try to see all of the factors of these games.  And I want to pull more data before hitting the panic button.  That is why I want more than two games.  No study would be accurate with only two data points.

They very well may have more issues than us but their staff will get it resolved . Will ours? That is where the anger comes from . As for Clemson , they have a pretty good defensive line . This has been known and a few of us try to tell some of you guys this , but to no avail it was blown off . Some even cited the Akron game which is ironic because Akron did better than us offensively . I will reserve how good the totality of the defense is when they play Louisville . If they dominate Louisville like LSU, then I will salute them . As of now , I am not going to make them the gold standard of defense , as they have played pitiful offenses. Their defensive line does the deserve praise though .

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

They very well may have more issues than us but their staff will get it resolved . Will ours? That is where the anger comes from . As for Clemson , they have a pretty good defensive line . This has been known and a few of us try to tell some of you guys this , but to no avail it was blown off . Some even cited the Akron game which is ironic because Akron did better than us offensively . I will reserve how good the totality of the defense is when they play Louisville . If they dominate Louisville like LSU, then I will salute them . As of now , I am not going to make them the gold standard of defense , as they have played pitiful offenses. Their defensive line does the deserve praise though .

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I'm an SEC homer. I believe the SEC is a ball control conference with elite defenses. With that said, we are going to have to face LSU, UGA, and Bama's great defenses this year and according to the Clemson game, they are going to tee off on Stidhams head. We are going to have to figure something out for those games. Take a look back at our offensive woes against those teams since 2015.   We have to get over that hump. 

I think both of those are valid and fair assessments.  No rebuttal from me.  In time we will see if we can make the correct changes to turn this thing around.  Looking forward to it, and it starts with Saturday...  War Eagle gentlemen

6 minutes ago, gr82be said:

@doverstutts, There are a lot of opinions on this board with varying degrees of knowledge supporting them. Most on here really love Auburn and a few are trolls. The ones that care about Auburn all want the same thing. We just have various ways of saying it;  frustration, humor and sarcasm seem to be the major ones but make no mistake, we love our Auburn Tigers. There are some on here who will argue their point with a brick wall. It doesn't take long to find out who it is. I don't agree with everything I read here but it's their opinion. I have no inside sources except for a few of the folks on this board. It's where I get my info. You'll have way more friends on here without the needless back and forth with insults. That happens plenty in the political forum if you feel the need. The best advice is to not react to a post but to respond to a post instead. By the way, welcome to AU Family. Family will not always agree with each other but they respect each other. 

I understand that, but I know folks in the state of Arkansas that know the skinny on Malzahn and what went down when he went to U of A.   This guy is not what you think he was in high school.   He recruited from other schools to out- talented his competition and he extorted his way to the Arkie job with the Shilo 5.   AU bought a pig in a polk and he has had enough time to prove himself, and wasting all of this talent will put the program in dire straits with this years recruiting class

15 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

I don't expect us to lose again until the Iron Bowl.  The iron bowl will decide the west.  Our defense is that good and our offense will improve.  LSU will be our biggest test and I don't see anyway Etling can beat us.  We will get the OL fixed.  Despite how bad we played if we score on the 1st drive we win the game.  IF we go up 7-0 and have momentum then we would have scored again after they turned the ball over.  Our defense is very very good, and despite what we saw Saturday our offense is not near that bad.  Gus took the reigns on offense, but I don't expect him to do this again.  Now you can say he has done it since 2015 but that was with RL.  Very bad loss and offensive performance I know this.  Like I said though I don't expect us to lose again until the Iron Bowl which will be a toss up.

Bless  your  heart.

1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

I understand that, but I know folks in the state of Arkansas that know the skinny on Malzahn and what went down when he went to U of A.   This guy is not what you think he was in high school.   He recruited from other schools to out- talented his competition and he extorted his way to the Arkie job with the Shilo 5.   AU bought a pig in a polk and he has had enough time to prove himself, and wasting all of this talent will put the program in dire straits with this years recruiting class

Springdale 5. Wouldn't call it extortion . More like a deal between two sides . Also had the opportunity to stay in Springdale / bentonville. Some of what you say is true . He is not well liked back in Arkansas . Part of it is due to his stubbornness which we are seeing a glimpse of it right now , but that is neither here nor there. 

13 minutes ago, gr82be said:

My family, and it's a very large extended contingent, are a microcosm of this board.  we are all over the country and the views are one extreme to the other. Many "I told you so's" were passed around Saturday. Makes me love reading this board, even when the negatives are higher than the positives. 

33 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

For both of you, the way I am approaching everything is from a 7,000 foot view.  I try to see all of the factors of these games.  And I want to pull more data before hitting the panic button.  That is why I want more than two games.  No study would be accurate with only two data points.

I'm like you as I try to see things from a larger POV.  However, the data I mentioned yesterday is what scares me, because this is a trend not based on two games.  Reposting here in case you missed it.

AU is 19-17 in it's last 36 games, 11-17 when rent-a-win cupcakes are removed.  (That's three full regular seasons of football.)

AU has scored 19 points or less in 10 of its last 15 games against Power 5 competition.  All five of those 20+ point performances were while Rhett Lashlee was supposedly calling games instead of Gus.  (2015: A&M, 2016:  MSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, & Vandy)

Meh. 

We've been trending down for a long time with this guy at the helm. His record against the SEC and rivals are mediocre and atrocious. It's not just the losses, it's the way we've lost. He's a mediocre coach who cannot get out of his own way. We've been here before and the story will be the same, along with his message. He has embarrassed Auburn too many times with top notch talent.  He doesn't deserve to be the HC at Auburn and Auburn deserves more. It's so clear he's not the guy to turn this around.

I'll believe all of these sunshine pumpers when I see it on the field. 

9 hours ago, alexava said:

I think SW is better based on the last two weeks. JS looked good throwing deep in spring game but looks hesitant. SW will let it fly. That's not to say JS can't get there but he has to come on quick. I wanted to roll Willis out and try to make him Lamar Jackson #2 Saturday night. No way I redshirt him. 

SW would have definitely aired it out on some JS held the ball and connecyes on some of the throws. SW is a warrior on the I and would have probably played saturday. SW has issues leading the team with his attitude and off field issues. No doubt we win if SW had been playing Saturday imo. Now I don't think he is betterrible qb JS is very rusty and hesitant in hos 5th start at the college level against a basically nfl dline. MW would have been effective with his legs alone but he didn't play for reason.

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

Meh. 

We've been trending down for a long time with this guy at the helm. His record against the SEC and rivals are mediocre and atrocious. He's a mediocre coach who cannot get out of his own way. We've been here before and the story will be the same, along with his message. He has embarrassed Auburn too many times with top notch talent.  He doesn't deserve to be the HC at Auburn and Auburn deserves more. 

I'll believe all of these sunshine pumpers when I see it on the field. 

Gus Malzahn:

vs. Georgia 1-3

vs. Bama 1-3

vs. LSU 2-2

vs. OM 3-1

vs. MSU 2-2

vs. ARK 3-1

vs. aTm 2-2

Bowl Record 1-3

is this the record of a coach that should be given a long leash at AU?

8 hours ago, WeagleAU said:

I appreciate your optimism.  With that said, I've heard much of the same from Gus that this team is going to get better.    He's been saying that for the last three years.  Yet it is not happening on the field.  The passing offense is ranked 117th, their the FBS-worst in total sacks allowed.  The offense Saturday had the worst showing of any other in the Gus Malzahn era with 117 total yards.

So please forgive me for being skeptical and frustrated.  I just see a repeat of the last several years.  But I hope your right, I hope they can go on a roll and compete in the west.  I love Auburn football and I want to see the best for the program.  But if the evidence on the field recently is any indication of what is to come, I'm really concern for the direction of this football program.

This team can win running a ball control game management TT style offense if we have too. This will not be the case. Well it was actually pretty much the strategy going in to Clemson focusing on not turning ball over and putting the defense in bad spots. Problem was the passing plays we called were mainly go or seem routes and JS held the ball when they were open. We did run deep crossing routes where we had guys open. We needed KJ bad this game the screen pass was there. Also running the go route or seem is fine but why we don't have Stove running an underneath crossing route T same time is beyond belief. If we could have gotten Eli the ball across the middle he would have killed them until they aadjusted. Now Hastings is getting pushed around and can't complete his routes which is a very good strategy against him like on the out and up that was there for the taken but he was knocked off his route. Offense will improve 

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

23, concerning the comment about SW, I think SW does have more experience and would have given us a better chance to win, if he started the game.  What I would like to know, if you know, what does the PTB think of the fact Gus suspended SW for two games?  Gus went into the Clemson game with no viable backup to play if his starter struggled, very much like the UGA game last year.  Does the PTB have any comment on Gus' mismanagement of his personnel?  

You also mention, in another post, that we were reluctant to play another RB other than KP because the other RBs may have fumble issues.  Do you think this will be our strategy going forward with teams that have a formidable defense or is he waiting for the offense to come into its own?

The PTB seem to be very patient.

SW has been given many chances this was not his first time. You can't have a discipline policy and let a guy slide that is defying u time and time again. Then you have other players thinking they can gwt away with it. With the rbs we will definitely see more rbs. Kam Martin would have been destroyed trying to block and probably hurt against Clemson imo. We needed Kerryon but DB has alot of potential and I would like to see him more. Malik Miller I think should have playet alot more especially when Kam P aggravated his injury. 

Sean White must be some kind of split personality monster.  Looks pleasant and" leaderly" on TV.  When he gets home I guess the demons come out.

17 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

SW has been given many chances this was not his first time. You can't have a discipline policy and let a guy slide that is defying u time and time again. Then you have other players thinking they can gwt away with it. With the rbs we will definitely see more rbs. Kam Martin would have been destroyed trying to block and probably hurt against Clemson imo. We needed Kerryon but DB has alot of potential and I would like to see him more. Malik Miller I think should have playet alot more especially when Kam P aggravated his injury. 

I actually agree with the suspension and because I don't know  the circumstances surrounding it other than rumor, but I am of the mind that he should have been dismissed if the rumors are close to fact

One more attempt at logical thinking here, and then I'm done with this silly thread.

11/8/14.     TA&M.   L.                

11/15/14.    UGA      L

1/1/15.        Wisc      L

9/5/15.       LOUISVILLE.   L

9/19/15.      LSU.            L

9/26/15.     MSU.          L

10/15/15.    KENTUCKY.   W 

10/24/15.    ARK.        L

10/31/15.       OM.        L

11/7/15.         A&M.     W

11/24/15.        UGA.     L

11/28/15        UA.        L

12/30/15.      MEMPHIS.     W 

9/3/16.         CLEMON.      L

9/14/16.        A&M.           L

9/24/16.        LSU.           W

10/8/16.         MSU.          W

10/22/16.       ARK.          W

10/29/16.       OM.            W

11/5/16.          VANDY.      W

11/12/16.        UGA.            L

11/26/16.        UA.              L.  

1/2/17.             OK.             L

9/9/17.             CLEMSON.   L

That's  our last 25 games against teams with a pulse.  9wins- 16 losses.

I even included wins over those bastions of college football strength : 

Memphis,  Vanderbilt, and Kentucky. Take away those, and it's 6-16.

Now we have an insider that is telling us that our offensive guru head coach has been instructed by someone, don't known who, was it the Athletic Director?, some booster?, or the head cheerleader?, to keep his hands off the offense. The spin that is coming out of Auburn over the last 3 years is worthy of being included in a congressional investigation. I'm confused though,  do we actually have a viable insider to the program posting on this message board of meddling in the program? I am so done with the entire Gus Malzahn conundrum. Unfortunately,  Gus is still selling his snake oil, but I'm encouraged by the fact that there only seems to be a small handful of my fellow Auburn fans who are still buying it.

1 minute ago, Eagle-1 said:

One more attempt at logical thinking here, and then I'm done with this silly thread.

11/8/14.     TA&M.   L.                

11/15/14.    UGA      L

Now we have an insider that is telling us that our offensive guru head coach has been instructed by someone, don't known who, was it the Athletic Director?, some booster?, or the head cheerleader?, to keep his hands off the offense. The spin that is coming out of Auburn over the last 3 years is worthy of being included in a congressional investigation. I'm confused though,  do we actually have a viable insider to the program posting on this message board of meddling in the program? I am so done with the entire Gus Malzahn conundrum. Unfortunately,  Gus is still selling his snake oil, but I'm encouraged by the fact that there only seems to be a small handful of my fellow Auburn fans who are still buying it.

Does Jay Jacobs and the scholarship donors know about this???

4 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

11/8/14.     TA&M.   L.                

11/15/14.    UGA      L

We beat Louisville , but thanks for posting those stats. Good reminder next time someone wants to reference Saban or tOSU.

Just now, DAG said:

We beat Louisville , but thanks for posting those stats. Good reminder next time someone wants to reference Saban or tOSU.

Yeah, I included Louisville 

2 hours ago, doverstutts said:

Yeah, and Ohio State does not have a consistent pattern of crapping the bed against good competition, and certainly not for almost 4 years.   Every day that passes is one day closer to basketball season, which should be exciting under a competent coach

Take a look at Ohio State's game against Clemson in the play-offs last year....maybe you missed that one.https://www.google.com/search?q=ohio+state+vs+clemson

39 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Take a look at Ohio State's game against Clemson in the play-offs last year....maybe you missed that one.https://www.google.com/search?q=ohio+state+vs+clemson

It's one game, not a pattern.  That's what Dover is getting at in his comment.  Ohio State wins those big games far more often than they lose.

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Does Jay Jacobs and the scholarship donors know about this???

the donors probably do, but Jethro Jacobs?   doubtful     Jethro is like a wild goose in that he wakes up in a new world every morning

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's one game, not a pattern.  That's what Dover is getting at in his comment.  Ohio State wins those big games far more often than they lose.

Well that's true but they sure clutched up that game....and if AU had looked that bad in a play-off game, Gus would have had to hitch hike home.  I was happy to see that game....and to see OSU look lost against Oklahoma this past weekend. .

Archived