austudnt23

Bad loss for AU but...

Recommended Posts

AU64    1,962
6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I've worked in athletics before.  I can guarantee you that my level of expectation is the same as the coaches and players.  Compete for the SEC West title year in and year out.  There's nothing unreasonable about that considering our recruiting and resources.  Note that I'm not saying win it every year.  I'm saying compete and make November games matter.

You seem to have the attitude that 8-4 is ok year in and year out with a mediocre bowl and maybe we'll hit a 10-win season every now and then.  That's fine for West Virginia.  We aren't West Virignia.  9-10 wins should be the standard at Auburn, especially given that three of our games are bought and paid for wins every year.

Hoping that is what is going on and I've seen not indication that AU players or coaches expect anything less.    I also know that just about every team in the SEC starts the season with the same goals or expectations.  

Just wondering if our relentless drive to make that 10+ win season as the standard is not a deterrent to actually accomplishing it if we bounce a coach for a couple bad season and then start over again every half dozen years.  I kind of enjoy watching Tennessee  and Notre Dame and numerous other chasing some imagined glory.... and changing coaches so frequently that they never stabilize their programs.   I hate to see AU doing that but I guess that's where we are headed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




lca408    64
1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Just wondering if our relentless drive to make that 10+ win season as the standard is not a deterrent to actually accomplishing it if we bounce a coach for a couple bad season and then start over again every half dozen years. 

If said coach averages 7 or 8 wins a year for 3-4 straight years regardless of recruiting success at a program with plenty of resources and budget, doesn't it seem likely that it's a trend and no longer an aberration en route to success?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PigskinPat    184
1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

jax st. should have won and deserved it....just another crack in the dam

They were definitely the better prepared team that day and should have won. There is no excuse for that game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
McLoofus    3,609
46 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just wondering if our relentless drive to make that 10+ win season as the standard is not a deterrent to actually accomplishing it if we bounce a coach for a couple bad season and then start over again every half dozen years.  I kind of enjoy watching Tennessee  and Notre Dame and numerous other chasing some imagined glory.... and changing coaches so frequently that they never stabilize their programs.   I hate to see AU doing that but I guess that's where we are headed.

Fair question, but regarding the specifics of our situation at Auburn: Do you think that Gus has done anything since the *2015 season ended to improve our offense? I don't mean has he tried, but has he succeeded? 

If the answer is yes, then I'm okay agreeing to disagree. If the answer is no, then a followup question: If he hasn't done it in 2 full offseasons and a regular season, what makes you think he will? I hope that is phrased in a way that isn't any more confrontational than intended. It's an honest question and I'm prepared for your usual cogent response. 

Some of us who were quick to point out that Gus made all the right moves in the offseason feel a little bit burned by what transpired the other night and are wondering, "If not already, then when?"

*I continue to give Gus a pass on 2015. I just can't give him a pass on still being shaken by that experience. 

 

 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BJCrawford    58

Is it everyone's contention that Malzahn intends to let his OC call the game (lashlee or Lindsey) and when the least thing goes wrong (like the stidham interception against southern) he panics and takes back the reigns? I'm also thinking of LY when KP and SW were injured. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
McLoofus    3,609
1 minute ago, BJCrawford said:

Is it everyone's contention that Malzahn intends to let his OC call the game (lashlee or Lindsey) and when the least thing goes wrong (like the stidham interception against southern) he panics and takes back the reigns? I'm also thinking of LY when KP and SW were injured. 

That is exactly what I think. Can't speak for anyone else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
doverstutts    155
7 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Is it everyone's contention that Malzahn intends to let his OC call the game (lashlee or Lindsey) and when the least thing goes wrong (like the stidham interception against southern) he panics and takes back the reigns? I'm also thinking of LY when KP and SW were injured. 

Who knows what goes through his psychotic mind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Randman5000    480
1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I've worked in athletics before.  I can guarantee you that my level of expectation is the same as the coaches and players.  Compete for the SEC West title year in and year out.  There's nothing unreasonable about that considering our recruiting and resources.  Note that I'm not saying win it every year.  I'm saying compete and make November games matter.

You seem to have the attitude that 8-4 is ok year in and year out with a mediocre bowl and maybe we'll hit a 10-win season every now and then.  That's fine for West Virginia.  We aren't West Virignia.  9-10 wins should be the standard at Auburn, especially given that three of our games are bought and paid for wins every year.

Poor example. That's not the standard for West Virginia either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
McLoofus    3,609
15 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Poor example. That's not the standard for West Virginia either. 

They've averaged 8.4 wins a season going back 10 years.

They had 11-win seasons each of the two years before that, but 10 years seemed like a good place to stop. 

They have 3 double-digit win seasons in that time and 1 losing season.

I don't know if I'm supporting or refuting anyone's argument, honestly. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Southwest    32
18 hours ago, AUwent said:

They ring up those big passing yards against FCS opponents. They only scored 13 on USCe.

Studnt23, thank you so much for providing a desperately needed ray of sunshine on this board.

We put up how many points again against Clemson and total yards? Lets see what other top 25 team clemson holds to that..I am by no means saying we are going to lose,they just seem more of a trap game team to me then some of the others that are mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oracle79    817
3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

It has been a bumpy ride, for sure.  I can tell you though I am sure thankful I was a student in 2010 and 2013.

Thanks for that info.  I understand your posts now.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad_ATX    654
1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

Poor example. That's not the standard for West Virginia either. 

It kind of is there.  Averaging 8-4 doesn't get someone fired there.  It very well may at AU.

For example, Holgerson went 4-8 in 2013, his third year at the school after posting 10-3 and 7-6 records his first two years.  He's still the coach there.  You think a coach at Auburn survives a 4-8 season in his third year with that kind of downward trend?  We're all talking about firing Gus and he's pretty much locked on 8 wins a year and has a national title appearance to his credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I_M4_AU    490
7 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

SW has been given many chances this was not his first time. You can't have a discipline policy and let a guy slide that is defying u time and time again. Then you have other players thinking they can gwt away with it. With the rbs we will definitely see more rbs. Kam Martin would have been destroyed trying to block and probably hurt against Clemson imo. We needed Kerryon but DB has alot of potential and I would like to see him more. Malik Miller I think should have playet alot more especially when Kam P aggravated his injury. 

I have no problem with SW being suspended, my issue is; Auburn did not have a viable option for the backup QB if Stidham struggled.  We had a walk on and a true freshman that has no game experience.  When Gus suspended SW, it seems he didn't work on a contingency plan and went into the Clemson game the same way he did the UGA game last year.  Is any of the PTB concerned how he manages his personnel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gr82b4au    418
23 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

 Like I said though I don't expect us to lose again until the Iron Bowl which will be a toss up.

I may not see it but I like your optimism. I hope you are right. I really do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AUwent    178
1 hour ago, Southwest said:

We put up how many points again against Clemson and total yards? Lets see what other top 25 team clemson holds to that..I am by no means saying we are going to lose,they just seem more of a trap game team to me then some of the others that are mentioned.

In terms of difficulty, Clemson on the road >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> South Carolina at home. There is no excuse to even come close to losing to Mizzou. I'm all for firing Gus if our offense keeps performing like that and we go 8-4 again with losses to  our rivals--don't think I'm okay with that. But can we not think we're going to lose to every P5 opponent because we lost by one score to the defending champs at their place?

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Southwest    32
24 minutes ago, AUwent said:

In terms of difficulty, Clemson on the road >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> South Carolina at home. There is no excuse to even come close to losing to Mizzou. I'm all for firing Gus if our offense keeps performing like that and we go 8-4 again with losses to  our rivals--don't think I'm okay with that. But can we not think we're going to lose to every P5 opponent because we lost by one score to the defending champs at their place?

.That wasn’t my intention with my post; I was piggybacking off people stating who they thought we would have trouble with or trap games etc... I honestly don’t think ARKY will pose a threat nor MissS, some do, I only pointed out Mizzu because they can score in bunches and we seem to lack that ability at times. Now to the point of difficulty AU should have had more yards than Kent State let that sink in...Clarification though I don’t see us losing to just any p5 teams I only listed that one as a potential trap game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WarEagleSteve    139
3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Fair question, but regarding the specifics of our situation at Auburn: Do you think that Gus has done anything since the *2015 season ended to improve our offense? I don't mean has he tried, but has he succeeded? 

If the answer is yes, then I'm okay agreeing to disagree. If the answer is no, then a followup question: If he hasn't done it in 2 full offseasons and a regular season, what makes you think he will? I hope that is phrased in a way that isn't any more confrontational than intended. It's an honest question and I'm prepared for your usual cogent response. 

Some of us who were quick to point out that Gus made all the right moves in the offseason feel a little bit burned by what transpired the other night and are wondering, "If not already, then when?"

*I continue to give Gus a pass on 2015. I just can't give him a pass on still being shaken by that experience. 

 

 

I like to think that Gus can right the ship. He's had enough genuine success that I still have a tiny sliver of hope that he can recapture whatever magic he harnessed at Tulsa and in 2010 and 2013. The pieces are (theoretically) there. Realistically though, it is harder and harder to maintain that sliver of hope as the games go by. It's hard not to conclude that he's regressing from a personnel management/gameplanning standpoint. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JGLEATON    255

But...

on a positive note....

at least we aren't arguing for or against Alternate Uniforms now.                :beer2:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abw0004    785
2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Thanks for that info.  I understand your posts now.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but I can certainly say I have lived through the highs and lows for Auburn.  Everything from 2010 to 2012.

But no matter the season I can always say I am in that stadium no later than 1 hour before kickoff and do not leave until the clock hits zero.  If my team is out there, then so am I.  I tell anyone who is with me, if I have a heart attack and am dying in my seat, if the medics can't treat me on the spot, don't you dare move me from my seat or I will come back and haunt them forever.  :abmbu:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AUTigergrad08    128
3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I have no problem with SW being suspended, my issue is; Auburn did not have a viable option for the backup QB if Stidham struggled.  We had a walk on and a true freshman that has no game experience.  When Gus suspended SW, it seems he didn't work on a contingency plan and went into the Clemson game the same way he did the UGA game last year.  Is any of the PTB concerned how he manages his personnel?

I'm not sure Gus knows how to tie his shoes in the morning.  Does that answer your question?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
alexava    1,207
3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I have no problem with SW being suspended, my issue is; Auburn did not have a viable option for the backup QB if Stidham struggled.  We had a walk on and a true freshman that has no game experience.  When Gus suspended SW, it seems he didn't work on a contingency plan and went into the Clemson game the same way he did the UGA game last year.  Is any of the PTB concerned how he manages his personnel?

Wth was he supposed to do? How do you know he didn't have a viable option? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ClaytonAU    825
12 hours ago, AUDevil said:

 I guess the demons come out.

Just one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now