Null



austudnt23

Bad loss for AU but...

Recommended Posts

We must look a lot different against Mercer is where it starts.  Next, better see a different looking offense as we start conference schedule.  No reason why we should lose to anyone not named Bama, regardless of whether its at home or on the road.  We have too much talent to beat by others.  Happy with the defense, but the offense better get it together or they will be over at Gus's house helping him load the U-Haul truck very soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

It kind of is there.  Averaging 8-4 doesn't get someone fired there.  It very well may at AU.

For example, Holgerson went 4-8 in 2013, his third year at the school after posting 10-3 and 7-6 records his first two years.  He's still the coach there.  You think a coach at Auburn survives a 4-8 season in his third year with that kind of downward trend?  We're all talking about firing Gus and he's pretty much locked on 8 wins a year and has a national title appearance to his credit.

That's because he pulled out a winning season last year. The 2013 season was the first losing season since 2001.  They averaged 10 wins during a nine year stretch until 2011. Which was the big Easts last hoorah and the 70-33 beat down of yep...Clemson. They pushed out a coach who won 9 games three straight years!!!.

They don't have SEC superiority complex but they are some of the most passionate fans in the country and just as well throw down if you disrespect them. The mediocrity put Holg on the hot seat until last year.  I know because I'm from there. 

So don't pretend you know West Virginia.

You must mean Tennessee. Or Miss St.

Also, during the holidays after the iron bowl and leading up the national championship after the kick 6. I was chatting about football and I had an Alabama fan tell me that "Auburn stepped up. Before they were content winning 8 games as long as they beat bama. Maybe they throw in an 9 or 10 win season to boot. Now they needed to challenge Sabear and get them some." They were being honest. That was the perception. And now.. Look at where we are now. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. 

Edited by Randman5000
Turd story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

They've averaged 8.4 wins a season going back 10 years.

They had 11-win seasons each of the two years before that, but 10 years seemed like a good place to stop. 

They have 3 double-digit win seasons in that time and 1 losing season.

I don't know if I'm supporting or refuting anyone's argument, honestly. 

Yeah I know. See my other post. Especially the part where Bill Stewart was pushed out despite 3 consecutive 9 win seasons.

Now watch us both go 8-5 and keep our coaches!

Let's go mountaineers. 

Edited by Randman5000
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, alexava said:

Wth was he supposed to do? How do you know he didn't have a viable option? 

He could have played Willis in the game against GSU to get him game experience. He suspended SW before that game, well before the public knew it, and he did nothing. Who goes into a game like the Clemson game with a walk on and a freshman QB with no experience as a backup QB?  Would you call a walk on and a freshman QB a viable option?

Stidham was struggling (similar to SW in the UGA game last year) and Gus handcuffed himself. Burning Willis' red shirt would be productive as the season goes on, especially if Gus can't count on SW.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

That's because he pulled out a winning season last year. The 2013 season was the first losing season since 2001.  They averaged 10 wins during a nine year stretch until 2011. Which was the big Easts last hoorah and the 70-33 beat down of yep...Clemson. They pushed out a coach who won 9 games three straight years!!!.

They don't have SEC superiority complex but they are some of the most passionate fans in the country and just as well throw down if you disrespect them. The mediocrity put Holg on the hot seat until last year.  I know because I'm from there. 

So don't pretend you know West Virginia.

You must mean Tennessee. Or Miss St.

Also, during the holidays after the iron bowl and leading up the national championship after the kick 6. I was chatting about football and I had an Alabama fan tell me that "Auburn stepped up. Before they were content winning 8 games as long as they beat bama. Maybe they throw in an 9 or 10 win season to boot. Now they needed to challenge Sabear and get them some." They were being honest. That was the perception. And now.. Look at where we are now. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. 

1) This post makes you sound like every West Virginia fan I met during my trip there in 2008 for the game.  That's not a compliment.

2) What happened during the Rich Rod era isn't really what I'm talking about here. But if you want to go back further, Nehlen coached there 20 years and only fielded two 10+ win teams, but had four with losing records.  He was mostly an 7-8 win coach during his tenure. 

However, the relevant info is that right now, their head coach is an 8 win coach in his 7th season.  He was still given a chance after declining results during his first three seasons, the last of which included at 4-8 year.  That kind of leash doesn't happen at Auburn.

3) No, I meant West Virginia.  They occasionally win championships at Tennessee.

 

Now, back to arguing about teams that matter.  War Eagle.

 

Edited by Brad_ATX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

1) This post makes you sound like every West Virginia fan I met during my trip there in 2008 for the game.  That's not a compliment.

2) What happened during the Rich Rod era isn't really what I'm talking about here. But if you want to go back further, Nehlen coached there 20 years and only fielded two 10+ win teams, but had four with losing records.  He was mostly an 7-8 win coach during his tenure. 

However, the relevant info is that right now, their head coach is an 8 win coach in his 7th season.  He was still given a chance after declining results during his first three seasons, the last of which included at 4-8 year.  That kind of leash doesn't happen at Auburn.

3) No, I meant West Virginia.  They occasionally win championships at Tennessee.

 

Now, back to arguing about teams that matter.  War Eagle.

 

I was there in 2008 as well, partying along the likes of them and showing them a good time when they came here.  You picked a team and a passionate fanbase and I defended them because I'm from there numbskull. Now you want to jump back to Nehlen eras and throw up the championships thing because you are offended behind your keyboard. The relevant history is EXACTLY what I'm referencing but your too much of an Almighty SEC type to see it. The problem is you don't know what you're talking about... BRAD. <_<

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

He could have played Willis in the game against GSU to get him game experience. He suspended SW before that game, well before the public knew it, and he did nothing. Who goes into a game like the Clemson game with a walk on and a freshman QB with no experience as a backup QB?  Would you call a walk on and a freshman QB a viable option?

Stidham was struggling (similar to SW in the UGA game last year) and Gus handcuffed himself. Burning Willis' red shirt would be productive as the season goes on, especially if Gus can't count on SW.

I would have played Willis too. But he may not be ready even for that. SW being suspended just sucked. ,no way I redshirt Willis especially on the hot seat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, alexava said:

I would have played Willis too. But he may not be ready even for that. SW being suspended just sucked. ,no way I redshirt Willis especially on the hot seat.

I'm just not sure what Gus is thinking other then he doesn't think he is on the hot seat.  WDE mentioned in another thread, he has been told SW might not be ready for the Mercer game.  If so, it will be interesting to see who Gus trots out there when we are 35 point ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

I was there in 2008 as well, partying along the likes of them and showing them a good time when they came here.  You picked a team and a passionate fanbase and I defended them because I'm from there numbskull. Now you want to jump back to Nehlen eras and throw up the championships thing because you are offended behind your keyboard. The relevant history is EXACTLY what I'm referencing but your too much of an Almighty SEC type to see it. The problem is you don't know what you're talking about... BRAD. <_<

 

HA!  You should see a thread in the political forum between myself and Jeff.  Trust me, I'm not an almighty SEC type.  In fact, I spend that entire thread talking about how the SEC isn't the dominant force in college football anymore, instead advocating that good football is played throughout the country.  But really nice of you to make assumptions there "numbskull".  I'll also point out that you devolved into name calling, not me.

And if a passionate fan-base is one that threatens to beat up women and 70-something year old men minding their own business, then I wouldn't want to be associated with them, because that's exactly what I experienced in Morgantown.  West Virginia is the only place I've ever been where a fan came to me, pointed at my girlfriend, and said "Keep an eye on her all night, because people will take liberties here".  That's a direct freaking quote from a WVU grad student randomly who stopped by my tailgate.  He was right.

I'm not a smack talker when I go to games.  I like to see a new campus, cheer for AU, and meet people.  However, I'd rather spend 100 Saturdays in Tuscaloosa before going back to that drunken hell hole.  Hope the 'eers lose every game they ever play after that display.  Go Pitt.

Edited by Brad_ATX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

HA!  You should see a thread in the political forum between myself and Jeff.  Trust me, I'm not an almighty SEC type.  In fact, I spend that entire thread talking about how the SEC isn't the dominant force in college football anymore, instead advocating that good football is played throughout the country.  But really nice of you to make assumptions there "numbskull".  I'll also point out that you devolved into name calling, not me.

And if a passionate fan-base is one that threatens to beat up women and 70-something year old men minding their own business, then I wouldn't want to be associated with them, because that's exactly what I experienced in Morgantown.  West Virginia is the only place I've ever been where a fan came to me, pointed at my girlfriend, and said "Keep an eye on her all night, because people will take liberties here".  That's a direct freaking quote from a WVU grad student randomly who stopped by my tailgate.  He was right.

I'm not a smack talker when I go to games.  I like to see a new campus, cheer for AU, and meet people.  However, I'd rather spend 100 Saturdays in Tuscaloosa before going back to that drunken hell hole.  Hope the 'eers lose every game they ever play after that display.  Go Pitt.

Ha. Got alittle scared of some name calling or West Virginia fans I see where it stems from. They are rough and trash talk more than most that's for sure. Let's go Mountaineers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Ha. Got alittle scared of some name calling or West Virginia fans I see where it stems from. They are rough and trash talk more than most that's for sure. Let's go Mountaineers. 

Scared?  No.  Did I find them trying to fight a 73 year old man and harassing a woman despicable?  You betcha.  That's not rough or trash talking.  That's just acting like uneducated trash.

But alas, my 8 win comparison stems from the fact that they were the first team I could think of that matched my point.  I stand by it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't want to get into this, but dismissing someone else's experience that you didn't witness is poor form. That is the same thing that LSU apologists do. No matter how many accounts they hear of people being treated poorly in Red Stick, they insist that those people are just wimps and that they should toughen up. Never mind that many LSU fans tend to get belligerent at the mere suggestion that there might be an unacceptable element in their ranks, exposing some rather thin skin of their own.

As for West Virginia fans, I mean...

image.png

As for that last suggested result...
 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Scared?  No.  Did I find them trying to fight a 73 year old man and harassing a woman despicable?  You betcha.  That's not rough or trash talking.  That's just acting like uneducated trash.

But alas, my 8 win comparison stems from the fact that they were the first team I could think of that matched my point.  I stand by it.

We'll, you are right that their fans can be crazy. However. I'm from there, have family there and I'm familiar with their fanbase , I know that going mediocre 8 wins consistently is not acceptable by any stretch! Holg was on the hotseat until he put up 10 wins last year. I know that Oliver Luck pushed out a 9 win coach because they thought he was mediocre. Now if you hate the fanbase because of a game experience, fine. I hate Thuga because of that...however you were calling the the kettle black. I know you are wrong on that part. That's not their perception by any means. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I really don't want to get into this, but dismissing someone else's experience that you didn't witness is poor form. That is the same thing that LSU apologists do. No matter how many accounts they hear of people being treated poorly in Red Stick, they insist that those people are just wimps and that they should toughen up. Never mind that many LSU fans tend to get belligerent at the mere suggestion that there might be an unacceptable element in their ranks, exposing some rather thin skin of their own.

As for West Virginia fans, I mean...

image.png

As for that last suggested result...
 

 

Ha. I will NOT defend their fans, except the ones I know. They're the only fan base I know that will make LSU fans seem tame. Haha

Edited by Randman5000
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

HA!  You should see a thread in the political forum between myself and Jeff.  Trust me, I'm not an almighty SEC type

This is true. Good times. 

Seems your broad perception of 'eers fans has been developed through anecdotal experience. That's common but I don't necessarily have to believe they're as bad as you say they are

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing says Auburn football quite like 2 Auburn fans going toe to toe over West Virginia football/ fans.  ;D

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Nothing says Auburn football quite like 2 Auburn fans going toe to toe over West Virginia football/ fans.  ;D

Hey numnuts my wife's a Hatfield from WV be very careful

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess what I'm trying to say: if last week is indeed indicative of the way the season will go, then Gus absolutely needs to go. I am NOT happy with this level of offensive production. But I am very optimistic that improvement will take place. To me, this looked like a team that would start slow and have one game where they struggled (and maybe a heartbreaker loss) before coming on hot at the right time--think Penn State last year, or closer to home if we want to go back, us in 2005. That's why I maintained last week (and still maintain) that Clemson was a very affordable loss, so long as we didn't have injuries or get blown out (put it this way, I would not be optimistic if WDEWDE's score prediction last week had been correct).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Nothing says Auburn football quite like 2 Auburn fans going toe to toe over West Virginia football/ fans.  ;D

Their West Virginia FBs though! Pretty sure Schmidt put steroids in his home grown moonshine for breakfast.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Hey numnuts my wife's a Hatfield from WV be very careful

Then you need to join their discussion, lol.  I hear one of them is a McCoy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2017 at 7:36 PM, auburntiger1987 said:

Mizzu's defense cant stop a fart. They do not scare me

Seems that the mediocre teams always play their best against the Good Guys:gofig:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, FASTCOMPANY said:

Seems that the mediocre teams always play their best against the Good Guys:gofig:

Kinda like that brand new QB who we knocked out of the game and then came back in and started dropping dimes that literally couldn't have been covered any better and turned into game changing completions? I hate football so much.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:17 AM, austudnt23 said:

What is my opinion? That we will go undefeated until the iron bowl? Do you not see how good this defense is? It's better than last year and prob one of best I have ever seen at Auburn. Do you not think we are capable of scoring some points when our qb gets a few more starts under his belt. We faced the best dline n country at their field the defending national champs. If we score the first drive it is a different outcome and we are happy today.  I will guarentee you we will improve offensively. How the hell could we not. As critical as I have been on Sean White if he starts that gane we win. As terrible as the play calling was we had some guys open downfield and JS held the ball. JS admits this himself. You tell me 1 game on schedule we will not be favored in besides LSU before the iron bowl. DANNY Etling isn't beating us at qb for them imo. I never expected to be undefeated going into iron bowl but i did expect it to decide west. We were bound to lose 1 road game and Clemson being the #3 team a game we should have won despite the shite show on offense. I have been critical of Gus  he doesn't need to be calling plays. He is a great offensive mind but he can't be a coach all week then decide he will call plays on Saturdays. We practiced all spring and summer with a different approach offensively. The first sign of trouble Gus abandoned it. He has been instructed to let CL do his job. 

23, just curious... when in the Clemson game did Gus panic and went back to running his plays?

Were the first 2 drives his playcalling? 

Do u think it was his call for Cox to run that key play down on goal line too? geez  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

23, just curious... when in the Clemson game did Gus panic and went back to running his plays?

Were the first 2 drives his playcalling? 

Do u think it was his call for Cox to run that key play down on goal line too? geez  

Not 23, but I'm of the opinion that it happened either before the GSU game or when KJ got hurt. It was definitely before the Clemson game. 

Edit: As for the first 2 drives, that's classic Gus. Work the ball down the field on early possessions, fail to score in the red zone, defense adjusts, we just keep running the same plays and getting worse and worse results.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

23, just curious... when in the Clemson game did Gus panic and went back to running his plays?

Were the first 2 drives his playcalling? 

Do u think it was his call for Cox to run that key play down on goal line too? geez  

He has been meddling the past 2 weeks.  The gameplan for Clemson was if you believe it pretty much followed to the T.  Problem was the gameplan was not working and we stuck with it all game and didn't adjust offensively.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now