Note on statistical report cards

StatTiger

From 2013-2014, Auburn had a passing grade on offense during 75 percent of their games and 49 percent on defense.

From 2015-2017, it is 50 percent on offense and 64% on defense.

From 2016-2017, it is 53 percent on offense and 73 percent on defense. (Almost a complete flip from 2013-2014)

The manner the grading system is structured, there are 15 categories for offense and defense each and 7 on special teams. This is a combined 37 categories to pass or fail. I have been doing this feature since 2009 and found the following...

When Auburn has a combined (off, def & special) percentage of at least 60 percent, the Tigers are 46-0.
When the Tigers dip below 40 percent in all three units combined, Auburn is 0-23.

Auburn is 63-9 during games they have a passing grade in at least 2 of the 3 phases of the team.

I have graded out 107 games from 2009-2017. The best combined score came against Arkansas in 2016, when the Tigers had a 33 of 35 score or 94.3 percent. The worst grade came against Alabama in 2012 with a combined 3 of 33 score (9.1 percent).

Top-5 team performances against Power-5 competition with a winning record:

Arkansas 2016 (33 of 35)
LSU 2014 (32 of 37)
TAMU 2015 (29 of 37)
South Carolina SECCG 2010 (27 of 35)
Arkansas 2014 (29 of 37)

Bottom-5 team performances against Power-5 competition with a winning record:

Alabama 2012 (3 of 33)
Georgia 2011 (4 of 34)
Georgia 2012 (4 of 33)
LSU 2011 (5 of 35)
Alabama 2011 (6 of 34)

ICYMI: Clemson Game Report Card

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

Interesting to know, appreciate you sharing your efforts with the rest of us Stat.

5 minutes ago, StatTiger said:
I have graded out 107 games from 2009-2017. The best combined score came against Arkansas in 2016, when the Tigers had a 33 of 35 score or 94.3 percent. The worst grade came against Alabama in 2012 with a combined 3 of 33 score (9.1 percent).

I was in attendance at the Arky game last year, wish we could pull off an effort like that this year against ThuGA or the Updykes (preferably both).

Looks like we can't chew and walk at same time. We only can address one problem at a time and when it is corrected something else is broken.

There's been a long standing feeling that tempo teams cannot have strong Ds bc of the speed at which they score. Quick scores, little rest and more time on the field for the D.

Ironically, our inept O has not been able to manage first downs and sustain drives creating a similar scenario , yet our D is stronger than ever.

Not sure what to make of that but thought it was a point worth mentioning.

Edited by au_bsci_04
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

There's been a long standing feeling that tempo teams cannot have strong Ds bc of the speed at which they score. Quick scores, little rest and more time on the field for the D.

Ironically, our inept O has not been able to manage first downs and sustain drives creating a similar scenario , yet our D is stronger than ever.

Not sure what to make of that but thought it was a point worth mentioning.

This line of thinking bothers me. A defense has no better friend than points on the other team's scoreboard. Also, a team that can sustain drives at any pace will give the defense time to rest. And, as you point out, a terrible offense that can't stay on the field can still be kept in a game by a very good defense. Muschamp-era Florida was proof of that. He never once fielded an adequate offense, and yet he had a top-25 defense every season he was there. 

Now, there might be something to be said for defenses that are forced to practice against unusual offenses all the time, but I don't know if that's accurate. Seems like Urban Meyer's Florida teams still had pretty good defenses. Not '85 Bears good, but pretty good. 

Of course, there continue to be numerous misconceptions about any offense that involves heavy use of the shotgun and any professed affinity for tempo. 

• Like 1

3 of the bottom 5 in 2011, that's a shocker, I would have thought all would have been in the dumpster fire that was 2012.

Just now, kd4au said:

3 of the bottom 5 in 2011, that's a shocker, I would have thought all would have been in the dumpster fire that was 2012.

Been trying to tell y'all. We should've seen 2012 coming, and it wasn't Loeffler's fault. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Been trying to tell y'all. We should've seen 2012 coming, and it wasn't Loeffler's fault. 

I for one never blamed all the problems on him or Chizik either. Chizik may turn out to be right about Gus and his offense in the long run. The main problem was trying to change offenses without the players to run that offense and the players not buying into the new system. JMO

Rating every offensive performance from 1992-2017, the 2008 and 2012 Auburn offenses are tied for the most appearances (5 each) on the Bottom-45 worst performances during the last 308 games. The 2011 Auburn offense made the list two times.

The rating is based on yardage, yards per play, scoring, TD ratio, 1st down production, 3rd down production, impact play ratio and strength of schedule.

20 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Stat what are the top and bottom 5 of malzahn era?

2017 Clemson game, 2nd worst since 1992.

2016 Georgia, No. 5

2011 Alabama, No. 7

2016 Alabama, No. 36

2011 Georgia, No. 40

2009 Kentucky, No. 48

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, alexava said:

nick marshall. we need another nick marshall.

We need a passing game. We are way to one dimensional. And it's not just the players, it's the play calling. It would be nice to see some short passes over the middle.

• Like 1