Who is holding Gus to the fire?

Newbomb

I have waded through at least two separate threads that have made the same insinuation.  If Gus does not let our offensive coordinator run the offense he is done.  I asked this simple question in another thread and it was ignored except for a joke answer.  Who is making this threat?  Could an AD that is under investigation be making this threat?  Who is behind the curtain?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Newbomb said:

I have waded through at least two separate threads that have made the same insinuation.  If Gus does not let our offensive coordinator run the offense he is done.  I asked this simple question in another thread and it was ignored except for a joke answer.  Who is making this threat?  Could an AD that is under investigation be making this threat?  Who is behind the curtain?

I would love to know the answers to these questions myself.  Alas, I don't think we will find out, Auburn could ill afford to allow this information to become public at this time, even on this forum.  We will see how the season goes and who starts to distance themselves from Gus and JJ.  Patience is a virtue, just frustrating.

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I would love to know the answers to these questions myself.  Alas, I don't think we will find out, Auburn could ill afford to allow this information to become public at this time, even on this forum.  We will see how the season goes and who starts to distance themselves from Gus and JJ.  Patience is a virtue, just frustrating.

yep, it will filter its way out eventually.     I am keeping an eye out on a guy on the rant that has been right about a couple of things so far this year,to see if he is given more.    He knew about the suspensions and pettways foot long before it became public.    we wait

1 hour ago, Newbomb said:

It don't matter. Gus isn't listening. 

This time? Don't know. Over the summer it was a couple of different people. Mac Crawford and Bo were two. And a couple of trustees, yellowman is one, that tired to talk to him. He agreed with all of them. Gus gave his word. Why Gus was given the opportunity to hire hire his guy, turned out to be Chip.  But Gus is Gus. All about him. 

1 hour ago, Newbomb said:

I asked twice yesterday and never answered. Since JJ is in the doghouse because softball, I'd imagine its a few trustees, which is fine as they're patient fans of the team as well. They just carry more vocal weight.

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It don't matter. Gus isn't listening. 

This time? Don't know. Over the summer it was a couple of different people. Mac Crawford and Bo were two. And a couple of trustees, yellowman is one, that tired to talk to him. He agreed with all of them. Gus gave his word. Why Gus was given the opportunity to hire hire his guy, turned out to be Chip.  But Gus is Gus. All about him. 

Well, I guess JJ can't reel him in, who does that leave?  Has Auburn created this monster with his contract?  What's the next step?  A sternly worded letter in his file.

Don't like the idea that former players and trustees are meddling . However , I do understand that you got to make the power brokers happy. Seems to me his direct upper should have a handle on this situation .

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Don't like the idea that former players and trustees are meddling . However , I do understand that you got to make the power brokers happy. Seems to me his direct upper should have a handle on this situation .

It has come to the point that someone needs to hold Gus' feet to the fire we are one miracle play and one heads up coaching call from having zero wins for his career as a head coach against our three biggest rivals.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

They weren't meddling. They really were trying to help. 

With his buyout, ain't nobody holding his feet to the fire, they can only try.  

At this point I think we are better off for everyone for the sake of this season to get out of his way and let him do things his way the rest of the season, and if he fails on his own merits let him suffer the consequences for it after the season, than to engage in a week-to-week game of tug-of-war. That's what happened in 2008 and it's what's happening now, and the results are equally inept. And our players deserve better, much better.

15 minutes ago, Newbomb said:

It has come to the point that someone needs to hold Gus' feet to the fire we are one miracle play and one heads up coaching call from having zero wins for his career as a head coach against our three biggest rivals.

I know. This is what lead me to believe we will see the end of Gus. Whether by his own admission or the higher ups .

11 minutes ago, BhamTiger98 said:

With his buyout, ain't nobody holding his feet to the fire, they can only try.  

At this point I think we are better off for everyone for the sake of this season to get out of his way and let him do things his way the rest of the season, and if he fails on his own merits let him suffer the consequences for it after the season, than to engage in a week-to-week game of tug-of-war. That's what happened in 2008 and it's what's happening now, and the results are equally inept. And our players deserve better, much better.

Buyout isn't a problem. One person was willing to write that check. 

I'll say this. Only folks in the AD who are safe are the BBall and Baseball coaches. Everyone else? Walking on glass. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'll say this. Only folks in the AD who are safe are the BBall and Baseball coaches. Everyone else? Walking on glass. 

Now that is music to my ears.    Clean up in aisle 9,bobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22 minutes ago, BhamTiger98 said:

At this point I think we are better off for everyone for the sake of this season to get out of his way and let him do things his way the rest of the season, and if he fails on his own merits let him suffer the consequences for it after the season

If we weren't stacked at every position I'd agree, wait until the end of the season. But it appears we have across-the-board talent to win the SEC this year....IF we can get the offense going. We know that won't happen with Gus calling the plays.  The defense can hang with anyone and we have the best kicker in the country. If Gus and HIS offense doesn't move out of the way, we'll lose to LSU, UGA, and UA and ultimately waste what can be a championship season. So do we remove the problem and let CCL and Borges implement changes, or go with Gus? If I were Gus I'd seriously entrust in my offensive coordinator from here on out.

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Paying the buyout may not be a problem, but holding Gus' feet to the fire is.  If Gus knows a pot of gold is waiting at the end of the rainbow, what leverage does anyone have to hold his feet to the fire?

8 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

If we weren't stacked at every position I'd agree, wait until the end of the season. But it appears we have across-the-board talent to win the SEC this year....IF we can get the offense going. We know that won't happen with Gus calling the plays.  The defense can hang with anyone and we have the best kicker in the country. If Gus and HIS offense doesn't move out of the way, we'll lose to LSU, UGA, and UA and ultimately waste what can be a championship season. So do we remove the problem and let CCL and Borges implement changes, or go with Gus? If I were Gus I'd seriously entrust in my offensive coordinator from here on out.

My comments considered only two options, trying to force Gus to let go of the reigns and him refusing to do so, or getting out of Gus' way and riding out the season.  You present a third option, which is to fire Gus now to salvage the season.  I don't argue that that isn't a viable option to consider. I just remember firing Tony Franklin in the middle of the season in 2008, and that didn't salvage our season. Different circumstances I know.

If that option is on the table, you have to wonder if Gus doesn't just say screw it and take the money and run. I don't think he will allow himself to be forced to do anything.

At any rate, the Auburn fan base is in a familiar spot, held hostage by a leader or leaders who care more about their own personal agendas than they do the program.

Well somebody needs to solve this HC issue and soon. It doesn't matter if the solution is that Gus changes now and becomes a true HC or if Steele becomes the interim HC or something else. We are at a moment in time where we can still have a good season and we have the talent to do it. Two weeks from now who knows.

But whatever does happen we need to be smart about it and not blow the whole thing up. We have spent literally years trying to develop a defense like the one we have now and we can't afford to go backwards. So if it is at all possible, we need to keep Steele and his staff in place. As we have seen first hand, an offense can be turned around much faster than a defense. 

1 hour ago, BhamTiger98 said:

Paying the buyout may not be a problem, but holding Gus' feet to the fire is.  If Gus knows a pot of gold is waiting at the end of the rainbow, what leverage does anyone have to hold his feet to the fire?

Why such a big buyout in the first place? Its not like Gus is getting inquiries every year to coach somewhere else. :dunno:

1 hour ago, TheBeachTigger said:

Why such a big buyout in the first place? Its not like Gus is getting inquiries every year to coach somewhere else. :dunno:

It's what Auburn does, they are very generous.....just ask Tommy Tubs, he "resigned" with a +$5mm golden parachute because Auburn felt like "it was the right thing to do."

1 hour ago, TheBeachTigger said:

We thought he was going to leave us in his dust on his way to coaching an NFL franchise

giphy.gif

Just now, TheBeachTigger said:

I can only assume by the number of posts that you are not familiar with who is in charge and what the standard operating procedure is.  And if I tried to explain it to you I am absolutely certain you wouldn't believe it.  Worst business model ever, put a former offensive lineman who raised a bunch of money once upon a time in charge of a $150,000,000 company when he's not fit to run the local 7 eleven.  Absolutely ********* crazy, and here we are just like last year, and the year before.....

And if I went on to tell you that the accrediting body that holds all universities accountable put Auburn on three years probation exactly one year prior to said AD taking the reigns for reasons mostly related to the Board of Trustees micro managing certain areas of personal interest (see: athletics/football) which left this current void of legitimate "nut cutters" for administrators to fear.  You simply would not believe me.  And if I went on to tell you that said AD's football coach at Auburn who was in charge at the time that the NCAA last levied very serious sanctions (see undefeated football team which was not seen on TV and did not appear in a bowl game) was now the only quasi "Power That Be"....You just can not believe how this whole ridiculous set up was concocted.

While I'm on a tear....this whole insidious thing was then wrapped up and package so beautifully under the banner of "Family".  So if you can't buck up and get with the program, then it's you that has the problem and we should probably get you some counseling.  Oh, and God Bless.

Image result for what about bob baby steps

11 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I do know that Danny Sheridan, a Vegas Odds maker and someone in the know, came out saying that if Gus does loses 3-4 more games and loses to UGA & bammer, he will be fired. Not sure where Sheridan gets his information, but I do not think he would say this if there was not something of validity behind it. I saw this on Al.com for what it is worth.

Archived