Who is holding Gus to the fire?

Newbomb

1 minute ago, doc4aday said:

I do know that Danny Sheridan, a Vegas Odds maker and someone in the know, came out saying that if Gus does loses 3-4 more games and loses to UGA & bammer, he will be fired. Not sure where Sheridan gets his information, but I do not think he would say this if there was not something of validity behind it.

me

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, augolf1716 said:

me

hey Golf, how did you make out with the storm? I know you live in the sunshine state, and hope all is well with your family.

Just now, doc4aday said:

hey Golf, how did you make out with the storm? I know you live in the sunshine state, and hope all is well with your family.

made it OK thanks for asking

3 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Validity and Sheridan do not go together. Remember the bagman he was going to expose?

forgot about that one. You know though, his assessment is not too far off base.  I do think if we lose 3-4 more games and lose to UGA & turds, we better have a new HC for 2018, and one who can right the ship.  I do think JJ will be in a situation where he better make a solid hire and one that can do the job.

12 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

forgot about that one. You know though, his assessment is not too far off base.  I do think if we lose 3-4 more games and lose to UGA & turds, we better have a new HC for 2018, and one who can right the ship.  I do think JJ will be in a situation where he better make a solid hire and one that can do the job.

My teenage son's assessment is better than Danny's any day of the week

32 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I do know that Danny Sheridan, a Vegas Odds maker and someone in the know, came out saying that if Gus does loses 3-4 more games and loses to UGA & bammer, he will be fired. Not sure where Sheridan gets his information, but I do not think he would say this if there was not something of validity behind it. I saw this on Al.com for what it is worth.

That's not exactly going out on a limb

19 hours ago, Newbomb said:

It has come to the point that someone needs to hold Gus' feet to the fire we are one miracle play and one heads up coaching call from having zero wins for his career as a head coach against our three biggest rivals.

This is the thought that keeps me up at night. We are two plays from having indisputably the worst coach we have had since Barfield, and let' s face it, worse than Barfield.

16 hours ago, Tiger said:

We thought he was going to leave us in his dust on his way to coaching an NFL franchise

giphy.gif

And draft JJ as his QB in the first round after,his 2015 Heisman season. 

Sheridan doesn't know squat and he never has.  He speculates like most of the rest of us. I'd agree that if he loses to LSU, UGA and Bama  yet again this season, after bungling the 2nd straight big time matchup with Clemson, he's probably history.  

40 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

This is the thought that keeps me up at night. We are two plays from having indisputably the worst coach we have had since Barfield, and let' s face it, worse than Barfield.

I'm sorry but Gus has at least been a part of two National Championship games winning one and 13 seconds away from winning another.. Barfield in his wildest dreams never even came close to accomplishing that. He was a nice guy but had no business being Auburn's head coach. A good friend and I had season tickets to Barfield's first year as our HC and it was agonizing to sit through those games. To compare Gus to Barfield is ridiculous. I realize people are not happy with what is going on with our team, me included, but I at least want to see what happens against LSU, GA, and bama before exercising the "off with his head" mentality.

WDE!!!

20 hours ago, BhamTiger98 said:

Paying the buyout may not be a problem, but holding Gus' feet to the fire is.  If Gus knows a pot of gold is waiting at the end of the rainbow, what leverage does anyone have to hold his feet to the fire?

I do not really consider Gus to be a guy that would be content with taking a pot of gold and riding off into the sunset.  If he gets fired from Auburn, especially because his offense consistently struggled, it would effectively end his coaching career at this level.  While not necessarily leverage, I suspect Gus understands that.

10 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I do know that Danny Sheridan, a Vegas Odds maker and someone in the know, came out saying that if Gus does loses 3-4 more games and loses to UGA & bammer, he will be fired. Not sure where Sheridan gets his information, but I do not think he would say this if there was not something of validity behind it. I saw this on Al.com for what it is worth.

I wouldn't put it past Sheridan emailing the info to his self and calling it a reliable source.

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

And yet this is the same coach who won us our first national championship in over 50 years and played for another 3 years later, and did it at a time when bama is on their best run ever. I'm not saying that to argue your point. I'm saying that to point out what an enigma Gus us, and really what an enigma Auburn football is.

2 minutes ago, BhamTiger98 said:

And yet this is the same coach who won us our first national championship in over 50 years and played for another 3 years later, and did it at a time when bama is on their best run ever. I'm not saying that to argue your point. I'm saying that to point out what an enigma Gus us, and really what an enigma Auburn football is.

I know what you mean, i know what you mean.         lol

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

I do not really consider Gus to be a guy that would be content with taking a pot of gold and riding off into the sunset.  If he gets fired from Auburn, especially because his offense consistently struggled, it would effectively end his coaching career at this level.  While not necessarily leverage, I suspect Gus understands that.

You may be right. I base my comments on his taking a huge pay cut to leave here for Arkansas State when he wasn't allowed to run his offense his way.  He was so adamant about running his offense his way he was willing to cost himself a lot of money. Now the alternative to being told how to run his offense is a truck load of money.

A multi-million dollar buyout, a year analyzing games for bspn, and a job at some Conference USA-type program where his offense will work and everyone will leave him alone, and he has no pressure. Vs. his current reality, where I bet even the Waffle House managers are down on him.

I think we are both saying that his ego will drive whatever happens, just in different ways.

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

My only disagreement there is that in both of those games our offense looked really good. We did not look as inept as this past Saturday.

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

I don't think so . As bad as he has been as a HC on the offense side of the ball , some school would be willing to take him in as a coordinator . Maybe being a HC at this level is too much. If Gene chizik could get a coordinator gig with how bad the defenses was at AU, CGM definitely will be able to get a coordinator job.

1 minute ago, Newbomb said:

Cannot believe someone like Gene Chizik is getting paid that much smh

2 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Agree. He doesn't come off as the guy who wants a paycheck and a job, but maybe I'm wrong. I think he's proud to be in the SEC, but it appears he's having a very hard time putting his ego aside and adapting to a head coach role. I'm really pulling for Gus to let go and trust his coordinators. I don't like coaching changes unless it's an absolute necessity like it was in 2012. Auburn is literally and offensive coordinator away from making a championship run. I really hope we take the Mercer game as an opportunity to practice CCL offense and improve the passing game. I don't want us to run it 50 times for 400 yards.

Just now, DAG said:

I don't think so . As bad as he has been as a HC on the offense side of the ball , some school would be willing to take him in as a coordinator . Maybe being a HC at this level is too much. If Gene chizik could get a coordinator gig with how bad the defenses was at AU, CGM definitely will be able to get a coordinator job.

I doubt any major program (what I meant by this level) would be scooping him up to run their offense.  If his offense fails this year and gets him fired, he (and his offense) will be known as the cause.  I cannot imagine why any other major program would want to bring stubbornness of that magnitude on board.  Not after it was so clearly displayed here at Auburn.  Like BhamTiger98 said, he likely ends up at a Conference USA or MAC program.  His stock as an offensive guru is busted, and unwillingness (or inability) to adjust exposed.

Gene Chizik's post-Auburn situation was very different from what Gus' would be.  Chizik was not considered to be or portrayed as a defensive guru/mastermind, just a good defensive coordinator.  He was also not considered to be involved at a neck-deep level with the defense.  He does not have a reputation as a control freak or for stubbornness.  Most importantly, he is probably much more familiar with the concept of humility than Gus, and I suspect he is just a generally more likeable fellow.

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

Cannot believe someone like Gene Chizik is getting paid that much smh

Jay Jacobs SMH.  Worst contract negotiator in the history of contract negotiators.    Twill should be paid more than Kodi.   

58 minutes ago, BhamTiger98 said:

Yeah, the enigma of the athleticism and play making ability of Cam Newton and Nick Marshal.  No mystery there.

2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I doubt any major program (what I meant by this level) would be scooping him up to run their offense.  If his offense fails this year and gets him fired, he (and his offense) will be known as the cause.  I cannot imagine why any other major program would want to bring stubbornness of that magnitude on board.  Not after it was so clearly displayed here at Auburn.  Like BhamTiger98 said, he likely ends up at a Conference USA or MAC program.  His stock as an offensive guru is busted, and unwillingness (or inability) to adjust exposed.

Gene Chizik's post-Auburn situation was very different from what Gus' would be.  Chizik was not considered to be or portrayed as a defensive guru/mastermind, just a good defensive coordinator.  He was also not considered to be involved at a neck-deep level with the defense.  He does not have a reputation as a control freak or for stubbornness.  Most importantly, he is probably much more familiar with the concept of humility than Gus, and I suspect he is just a generally more likeable fellow.

People don't care about a lot of that stuff you mentioned when it comes to desperation and winning . I don't like CGM as a HC, but he is a damn great offensive coordinator . Unfortunately , with being a head coach , you can't spend as much time as just strictly working on the offensive end. You don't have to agree , but I am going to give him the benefit of a doubt as a coordinator , as there have been quite a few people who have fell on their faces as head coaches but have returned to be great coordinators. Like there is no way someone like Syracuse will say you failed at AU so we aren't going to take you as an offensive coordinator. I just can't see that happening. 

5 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Like BhamTiger98 said, he likely ends up at a Conference USA or MAC program.  His stock as an offensive guru is busted, and unwillingness (or inability) to adjust exposed.

From Milton's "Paradise Lost";  "Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."

Archived