Who is holding Gus to the fire?

Newbomb

1 hour ago, BhamTiger98 said:

And yet this is the same coach who won us our first national championship in over 50 years and played for another 3 years later, and did it at a time when bama is on their best run ever. I'm not saying that to argue your point. I'm saying that to point out what an enigma Gus us, and really what an enigma Auburn football is.

As a counter point, he is one Cam Newton away from not even having this HC job. Think about that.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

As a counter point, he is one Cam Newton away from not even having this HC job. Think about that.

Or one Nick Marshall away from not having been in the National Championship game as a head coach.  Its not the X's and the O's but the Jimmy's and the Joe's.

2 minutes ago, Newbomb said:

Or one Nick Marshall away from not having been in the National Championship game as a head coach.  Its not the X's and the O's but the Jimmy's and the Joe's.

2011 Gus Malzahn OC post Cam Newton 8-4, with all 4 losses being blowouts. Offensive production in the 4 losses: 14, 10, 7, 14. Sound familiar?

I know CGM got us to the 2010 MNC as an OC and 2013 Game as a HC, but as a HC, but take away those 2 huge plays, we dont make the 2013 trip. 

Take away those 2 plays, and CGM becomes very mortal as a coach and he may have lost 1-2 more to our biggest rivals. His record versus our rivals is as almost bad as it can be. 

:lsu: 2-2

:uga:: 1-3

:ua:: 1-3

2 hours ago, BhamTiger98 said:

And yet this is the same coach who won us our first national championship in over 50 years and played for another 3 years later, and did it at a time when bama is on their best run ever. I'm not saying that to argue your point. I'm saying that to point out what an enigma Gus us, and really what an enigma Auburn football is.

Selective memory is a strange thing.    There is no enigma!  

Malzahns  offense has always sucked.  It is boring, unorganized,  and more stressful than fun.     Yes, even in our championship year.  Go back and watch the games.  Our best plays were mostly broken plays during the season.  We skidded by, by the skin of our teeth. Often looking like a Chinese fire drill  (just like last week).     If it wasn't for a QB that turns broken plays into 20 yard gains, we would have been 8-4 at best.

That is also the reason we went so far with Marshal.    There were maybe 4 games were we played like a championship team in both those runs.  The rest we looked like last week,  but won anyway.   Anyone who thought  Gus'  O was genius had the wool pulled over their eyes.   Nothing has changes except the people that  believed Gus was a genius debated so hard to prove he was a genius that pride keeps them from admitting to themselves that Gus is a failure.  Keeping  Malzahn around will put us further behind.  The emperor has no  cloths.

p.s.    Gus didn't win us a NC,  Chizik did.  As much as people like to cut on Chizik around here,  it is the truth.  You can say it was Gus all you want,  but the fact of the matter is Chizik was head coach.    Gus didn't win a NC.      

All these fans that hung their hat on Gus  are deperate to place blame somewhere else.  First it was Chizik meddling,  then Pat dye,  then JJ,  who know who will get the blame for meddling,  but no matter who gets the blame,  the offense still looks the same.   This goes back to when he coached under Nutt.  The same gimmicks, the same plays,  just different proportions.  The only thing that makes the offense run is an exceptional QB (that someone else coached) that can turn broken plays into 20 yard gains.  Without it he is dead in the water.

Truthfully one of those wins against LSU he had was pretty flukey as well. No offensive TDs and an LSU TD taken off the board after instant replay because they barely didn't get the snap off in time as time was expiring.

So without some crazy late game fortune his record vs our rivals would be 1-11 holy shoot

1 hour ago, Newbomb said:

He still was responsible for recruiting both to Auburn and coaching them up, and designing an offense around them that utilized their talents. And he was responsible for recruiting all the other pieces around Marshall in 2013. And someone on our staff in 2010 did one hell of a job coaching Cam on his throwing; he left Auburn a much more polished passer than he arrived as. Even urban meyer begrudgingly acknowledged this in the BCS title game pregame show.

That's the thing, we can't with a straight face act like Gus has never been able to coach before.  The turnaround we achieved from 2008-2009 was remarkable, and the turnaround from 2012-2013 is legendary. You can't pretend those aren't part of his record or explain them away. Even if the "fluke plays" don't happen in 2013 that's still a turnaround from 3-9 to 9-3.

No, it's like he's forgotten how to coach, and that's what is so befuddling. Best I can tell is that other defenses have figured him out and he has no answers, which means he was a one-trick pony, and in typical Auburn head coach fashion he hires a bunch of yes men as assistants who are way under-qualified for their roles. No doubt the guy is stubborn and has a Texas-sized ego, and that ego is crippling us.

3 hours ago, aubietiger14 said:

Jay Jacobs SMH.  Worst contract negotiator in the history of contract negotiators.    Twill should be paid more than Kodi.   

Sadly, Jacobs remaining in his present post is the most perversely logical reason for not (yet) firing CGM -- otherwise, JJ will be involved in the negotiation for the next football HC.   

4 hours ago, Strychnine said:

I doubt any major program (what I meant by this level) would be scooping him up to run their offense.  If his offense fails this year and gets him fired, he (and his offense) will be known as the cause.  I cannot imagine why any other major program would want to bring stubbornness of that magnitude on board.  Not after it was so clearly displayed here at Auburn.  Like BhamTiger98 said, he likely ends up at a Conference USA or MAC program.  His stock as an offensive guru is busted, and unwillingness (or inability) to adjust exposed.

Gene Chizik's post-Auburn situation was very different from what Gus' would be.  Chizik was not considered to be or portrayed as a defensive guru/mastermind, just a good defensive coordinator.  He was also not considered to be involved at a neck-deep level with the defense.  He does not have a reputation as a control freak or for stubbornness.  Most importantly, he is probably much more familiar with the concept of humility than Gus, and I suspect he is just a generally more likeable fellow.

Gene Chizik is a wonderful person and possibly the finest man to ever coach in the SEC.   Hse did things that he will not get credit for in this life.    

16 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I do know that Danny Sheridan, a Vegas Odds maker and someone in the know, came out saying that if Gus does loses 3-4 more games and loses to UGA & bammer, he will be fired. Not sure where Sheridan gets his information, but I do not think he would say this if there was not something of validity behind it. I saw this on Al.com for what it is worth.

I believe he was instrumental in the Cam Newton investigation and his claims were false but in this situation I believe it.  You can't keep losing to UGA and Bama and expect to stay here.  

4 hours ago, DAG said:

People don't care about a lot of that stuff you mentioned when it comes to desperation and winning . I don't like CGM as a HC, but he is a damn great offensive coordinator . Unfortunately , with being a head coach , you can't spend as much time as just strictly working on the offensive end. You don't have to agree , but I am going to give him the benefit of a doubt as a coordinator , as there have been quite a few people who have fell on their faces as head coaches but have returned to be great coordinators. Like there is no way someone like Syracuse will say you failed at AU so we aren't going to take you as an offensive coordinator. I just can't see that happening. 

This is so true. Gus would be a coach if he chose to be. The majority of teams don't see a season as a failure if you don't win the championship like most SEC teams do.

On 9/14/2017 at 11:49 AM, IronMan70 said:

Well somebody needs to solve this HC issue and soon. It doesn't matter if the solution is that Gus changes now and becomes a true HC or if Steele becomes the interim HC or something else. We are at a moment in time where we can still have a good season and we have the talent to do it. Two weeks from now who knows.

But whatever does happen we need to be smart about it and not blow the whole thing up. We have spent literally years trying to develop a defense like the one we have now and we can't afford to go backwards. So if it is at all possible, we need to keep Steele and his staff in place. As we have seen first hand, an offense can be turned around much faster than a defense. 

THIS x 100!!!

giphy[1].gif

4 hours ago, BhamTiger98 said:

You may be right. I base my comments on his taking a huge pay cut to leave here for Arkansas State when he wasn't allowed to run his offense his way.  He was so adamant about running his offense his way he was willing to cost himself a lot of money. Now the alternative to being told how to run his offense is a truck load of money.

A multi-million dollar buyout, a year analyzing games for bspn, and a job at some Conference USA-type program where his offense will work and everyone will leave him alone, and he has no pressure. Vs. his current reality, where I bet even the Waffle House managers are down on him.

I think we are both saying that his ego will drive whatever happens, just in different ways.

You would think after having that experience with both Houston Nutt and Gene Chizik, Gus would get it. But instead what does Gus do ? He hires a new OC and does the same thing they did. He won't let his OC Chip Lindsey run the offense his own way. 

20 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

You would think after having that experience with both Houston Nutt and Gene Chizik, Gus would get it. But instead what does Gus do ? He hires a new OC and does the same thing they did. He won't let his OC Chip Lindsey run the offense his own way. 

Bingo.  We go go round and round about all the reasons for our struggles, whether Gus could ever coach or not, who gets credit for what seasons, etc. But the one thing that can't be argued is that Gus' giant-sized ego is killing us. And as I have said in a previous thread here and many times on the other board where I have posted for years, we, the folks that love Auburn, are yet again being held hostage by someone who loves their own ego and their bank account far more than they love Auburn. And it's sickening.

We deserve better.

But 100 X more important, our players deserve better.

6 minutes ago, BhamTiger98 said:

Bingo.  We go go round and round about all the reasons for our struggles, whether Gus could ever coach or not, who gets credit for what seasons, etc. But the one thing that can't be argued is that Gus' giant-sized ego is killing us. And as I have said in a previous thread here and many times on the other board where I have posted for years, we, the folks that love Auburn, are yet again being held hostage by someone who loves their own ego and their bank account far more than they love Auburn. And it's sickening.

We deserve better.

But 100 X more important, our players deserve better.

From what some insiders say, Gus got his scrotum clipped this week which more than likely reduced the size of that ego and shrunk his balls considerably.  We'll see if he takes notice and listens to his superiors in the next couple of months.  

Here's a little notion that should put some anxiety into everyone.....what of Chip actually prepped that game plan, drew up the scheme and called the lions share of those plays on Saturday?  :dead:  YIKES!

I use to be Gus's number one fan! Something changed when he became a head coach.  Clemson defense would shift right before the snap because they knew what play was coming based on formation and personnel. 

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Between-the-Lines-Dissecting-what-went-wrong-for-Auburns-offense-107355497

This happenes all of the time. Everyone has adapted their defenses to our offense but he hasn't adapted anything too counter it. He rufuses to give up control of the offense. He lies to us about players hurt not hurt or suspened. 

IMG_1454.PNG

16 minutes ago, ncaajunkie said:

I use to be Gus's number one fan! Something changed when he became a head coach.  Clemson defense would shift right before the snap because they knew what play was coming based on formation and personnel. 

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Between-the-Lines-Dissecting-what-went-wrong-for-Auburns-offense-107355497

This happenes all of the time. Everyone has adapted their defenses to our offense but he hasn't adapted anything too counter it. He rufuses to give up control of the offense. He lies to us about players hurt not hurt or suspened. 

IMG_1454.PNG

And on the failed pitch to Chandler Cox, our tight ends were standing still while nobody got a hat on Clemson's linebackers, which makes it clear they had no clue what to do.

If the defense is going to know what play we are calling, it would helpful if at least our players knew the play as well.

55 minutes ago, keesler said:

From what some insiders say, Gus got his scrotum clipped this week which more than likely reduced the size of that ego and shrunk his balls considerably.  We'll see if he takes notice and listens to his superiors in the next couple of months.  

Here's a little notion that should put some anxiety into everyone.....what of Chip actually prepped that game plan, drew up the scheme and called the lions share of those plays on Saturday?  :dead:  YIKES!

If this is true, then we are about to find out how important money is to Gus. This would leave him with two choices: do what's best for the team, or coach for his buyout.

Of course the problem would be that Chip Lindsey has very little experience and was hired by Gus to be his yes man, and now we need him to be a good coach, and his offense to be a good offense.  Let's hope he's up to it.

22 minutes ago, ncaajunkie said:

IMG_1454.PNG

This guy gets it. Great post. 

5 hours ago, casatiger said:

Was it the Jimmy's and Joe's Saturday?

Jimmies and Joes are a NECESSARY, but not SUFFICIENT condition for winning championships.  A minimum modicum of competent coaching and player development is still required, especially in college.

5 hours ago, casatiger said:

Was it the Jimmy's and Joe's Saturday?

I think it was much more the Xs and Os not giving the Jimmys and Joes much chance for success. The Jimmy and Joes had their mistakes, but the game plan and the adjustments have to be much better (or existent) for the personnel to be successful.

Just remember MSU is always notorious for 2 things; at least one upset and getting opposing coaches fired.  The reason I say MSU is because if we lose to Missouri, Gus would not be fired.  However lose the following week to MSU, and I could see a midseason firing.   

Archived