Who is holding Gus to the fire?

Newbomb

1 hour ago, keesler said:

From what some insiders say, Gus got his scrotum clipped this week which more than likely reduced the size of that ego and shrunk his balls considerably.  We'll see if he takes notice and listens to his superiors in the next couple of months.  

Here's a little notion that should put some anxiety into everyone.....what of Chip actually prepped that game plan, drew up the scheme and called the lions share of those plays on Saturday?  :dead:  YIKES!

You wash your mouth out with soap. ;D

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/14/2017 at 10:40 AM, BhamTiger98 said:

Paying the buyout may not be a problem, but holding Gus' feet to the fire is.  If Gus knows a pot of gold is waiting at the end of the rainbow, what leverage does anyone have to hold his feet to the fire?

Being a failure.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This guy gets it. Great post. 

I made this meme! WDE

Hilarious all the people wanting Gus fired to "save the season". Name the last team anywhere that won a championship with a hc fired midseason. Anyone?  He is here for the year regardless. Might as well deal with it and hope he gets it right. Anyone hoping for failure deserves to have a coach fired midseason and another hired that does no better.  If he wins 11 games (not suggesting he will) then the likelihood of getting a better coach won't be as high as most here assume.  After all, he is the one that hired the guys that made the defense what it is. I'm not a Gus fan, but I'd much rather he and Chip get an awesome offense rolling than start over hoping the next coach doesn't get fired in 4 years, and then the next....and the next....

I am in the camp that this could be salvaged if we

lose to LSU, but not with Gus.  If we score less than 14 vs LSU, does Gus stay?    Real question for anyone with insider ties  

There is an argument to made here: try to save the season and audition Steele or save the season and begin the recruiting immediately (before tx a&M gets the inside track)    

???

21 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Hilarious all the people wanting Gus fired to "save the season". Name the last team anywhere that won a championship with a hc fired midseason. Anyone?  He is here for the year regardless. Might as well deal with it and hope he gets it right. Anyone hoping for failure deserves to have a coach fired midseason and another hired that does no better.  If he wins 11 games (not suggesting he will) then the likelihood of getting a better coach won't be as high as most here assume.  After all, he is the one that hired the guys that made the defense what it is. I'm not a Gus fan, but I'd much rather he and Chip get an awesome offense rolling than start over hoping the next coach doesn't get fired in 4 years, and then the next....and the next....

If we win 11 games than this discussion will be pointless, no?  That means we would at minimum be in the SEC title game. There would be zero % chance he would get fired.

7 hours ago, DAG said:

If we win 11 games than this discussion will be pointless, no?  That means we would at minimum be in the SEC title game. There would be zero % chance he would get fired.

Not if you include a bowl game and a loss to an undefeated bama...but otherwise you are correct. My point is I would much rather Gus go ahead and start winning than have to hope the next guy is capable. Coaching changes don't always improve the situation.  Just ask Texas, Tennessee, Florida, Oregon....and the list goes on 

1 hour ago, FoundationEagle said:

Not if you include a bowl game and a loss to an undefeated bama...but otherwise you are correct. My point is I would much rather Gus go ahead and start winning than have to hope the next guy is capable. Coaching changes don't always improve the situation.  Just ask Texas, Tennessee, Florida, Oregon....and the list goes on 

I agree . Hopefully this will all work out.

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

I agree . Hopefully this will all work out.

me too.   But, when you lose confidence in a person, and the job he does, AND when you can't trust what he says, its hard to trust him ever again, no matter what he does

Hypothetical, if losing to Mercer meant that there would be a 100% guarantee for GM to be gone... would you, even in the slightest, be hoping for an Auburn loss?

6 minutes ago, War Knight said:

Hypothetical, if losing to Mercer meant that there would be a 100% guarantee for GM to be gone... would you, even in the slightest, be hoping for an Auburn loss?

I don't know, and that is an honest answer..    I can't fathom pulling against AU, but I am witnessing a sinking ship under this assclown that we have for a coach.    I could give you bu*****t answer and say "hell yeah" but it just wouldn't be an honest answer

4 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I don't know, and that is an honest answer..    I can't fathom pulling against AU, but I am a sinking ship under this assclown that we have for a coach.    I could give you bu*****t answer and say "hell yeah" but it just wouldn't be an honest answer

I'm in the same boat.

Could never pull against our Tigers but man it would be a nice consolation prize for Gus to hit the road. Though, if JJ doesn't go with him, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Does anyone truly think if Auburn loses to Georgia and Alabama for the 4th year in a row, that Gus will hang on to his job? if anybody does, give me some of what your drinking.

On 9/14/2017 at 9:52 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It don't matter. Gus isn't listening. 

This time? Don't know. Over the summer it was a couple of different people. Mac Crawford and Bo were two. And a couple of trustees, yellowman is one, that tired to talk to him. He agreed with all of them. Gus gave his word. Why Gus was given the opportunity to hire hire his guy, turned out to be Chip.  But Gus is Gus. All about him. 

Is Gus a Narcissist?

On 9/15/2017 at 2:54 PM, keesler said:

From what some insiders say, Gus got his scrotum clipped this week which more than likely reduced the size of that ego and shrunk his balls considerably.  We'll see if he takes notice and listens to his superiors in the next couple of months.  

Here's a little notion that should put some anxiety into everyone.....what of Chip actually prepped that game plan, drew up the scheme and called the lions share of those plays on Saturday?  :dead:  YIKES!

Could you  please go into said scrotum clipping in a bit more detail?  Do you know what was said?

31 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Is Gus a Narcissist?

No, just a prideful Coach that skyrocketed to a top spot in the strongest division of the toughest conference in the nation.  

My Lord, name another P5 HC that is only a decade removed from the joys of Friday Night Football.  You leap from a private school HC salary of +/-$100,000/yr to an Auburn salary of $4.5million/yr and it would be damn near impossible to not get a big head and a giant size ego.

I've cut Gus slack for years, I felt like he was a HC in training and we'd all need to exercise an enormous amount of patience with him. But I've never gone out of my way to cover for him, make excuses for his coaching, or do all sorts of mental gymnastics to make him or his W-L record look better than it is.  

I'm still not ready to can him because I get more acid reflux over the thought of his replacement than I do of him remaining in service.  There may not be enough Tums/Rolaids on the shelves to get relief through another "committee" lead coaching search.

But the training wheels should have been removed at the beginning of 2016 last season.  He had his players, he had his staff - 100% of the team is on him going forward. Now it appears he is no longer allowed to make decisions on his own team because he has been directed to step away from the very thing that catapulted him to the elite position he holds today.  And I have a sinking feeling that the very people giving out such stringent directives have zero coaching qualifications to do so.

Excuse me while I unwrap another roll of Tums and hope for the best.:sad2:

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

No, just a prideful Coach that skyrocketed to a top spot in the strongest division of the toughest conference in the nation.  

My Lord, name another P5 HC that is only a decade removed from the joys of Friday Night Football.  You leap from a private school HC salary of +/-$100,000/yr to an Auburn salary of $4.5million/yr and it would be damn near impossible to not get a big head and a giant size ego.

I've cut Gus slack for years, I felt like he was a HC in training and we'd all need to exercise an enormous amount of patience with him. But I've never gone out of my way to cover for him, make excuses for his coaching, or do all sorts of mental gymnastics to make him or his W-L record look better than it is.  

I'm still not ready to can him because I get more acid reflux over the thought of his replacement than I do of him remaining in service.  There may not be enough Tums/Rolaids on the shelves to get relief through another "committee" lead coaching search.

But the training wheels should have been removed at the beginning of 2016 last season.  He had his players, he had his staff - 100% of the team is on him going forward. Now it appears he is no longer allowed to make decisions on his own team because he has been directed to step away from the very thing that catapulted him to the elite position he holds today.  And I have a sinking feeling that the very people giving out such stringent directives have zero coaching qualifications to do so.

Excuse me while I unwrap another roll of Tums and hope for the best.:sad2:

Why?  Whats wrong with Will  Muschamp?

8 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Could you  please go into said scrotum clipping in a bit more detail?  Do you know what was said?

Page #1 of this thread where WDEWDE posted that Mac/Bo/Jimmy were sent to talk to Gus in the off-season and tried to offer advice, give him some guidance, etc.  Then there was a separate thread in the aftermath of the Clemson loss in which Passthebiscuits, WDEWDE, and a couple of other pretty reliable posters said Gus was issued a directive to trash the clip board and take his damn hands off the offense.

When I say clipped his scrotum, I simply mean that when the very thing you are known for (Gus-offense, Urban-offense, Nick-defense, Bobby-offense, Will-defense) gets pulled out of your hands it probably feels like a castration.  I'd think any man would feel insulted after two former AU players and a BOT member critiqued my offense and then chose to addressed it with me.  And any Administration that feels like they have to send folks to "talk to" the HC and check up on him can't be viewed to have much trust in the man in HC.

I've tried to back off the proverbial cliff since Saturday and would like to enjoy an Auburn football season so I am looking at the Mizzou game as a start over and give it another chance game.  I have done this several times over the last couple of years but as much as don't believe Gus is the guy long term I want to wake up excited for an Auburn game instead of dreading how bad things will be offensively.  I know we can't prove anything against a dreadful Missouri defense but it will probably speak volumes if we struggle to score again.  

The thing that worries me most is some of the things I have heard opposing coaches and former players and "experts" say the last couple of years  are not things that can just be changed overnight and are really inherent in Gus's system.  Things like a too simple passing tree with receivers who don't know how to run proper routes.  Look at our WRs in the NFL right now as an example.  Thats not something you just change during practice if its part of your basic offense.  

I cling to this...in 2010 and in 2013 about this time in the season no one would have bet a dime on Auburn being in the National Title Game and then look what happened.  I have about a .0000000001 hope of something like that this year but with Auburn there is always that hope.  

9 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Why?  Whats wrong with Will  Muschamp?

I'd rather not see AU give a king's ransom to another HC that hasn't proven he can run an operation the magnitude of Auburn football.  

Do you honestly think Will Muschamp would take direction, advice, instruction, or directives from a couple of former AU players or a few big $$ donors at the Talon Club level?  

I'm of the opinion that by year 4-5 a Coach sinks or swims on his own merit ~ to hell with influential higher-ups meddling with a Head Coach pulling Gus' salary.  And my respect for a HC diminishes greatly if he allows himself to be lead around like a bull with a nose ring without giving a huge amount of resistance.    

Archived