A few thoughts on M. Willis....

TecmoBoJackson

I recently went back and started watching some of his highlight film and film from A-Day.  I'm not saying this kid will be get the start anytime soon but if his number gets called, I will certainly being paying attention.  Seems like he has no problem making the reads and finding open guys as well as being smart with running and passing options.  Again, most of what I am pulling from is A-Day, not a "real" game as some would say but I also watched Stidham too, and a lot of the plays he made in the Spring look like duplicates of the first two games this year.  I believe (hope) JS will get settled in, but if he doesn't and MW gets put in, could be fun to watch.

Looking forward to game day  and Mercer!

WDE!!!!

Here is a shortened version of A-Day if anyone is interested:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Until the O line issues are addressed I would hate to see Malik exposed to the beating he would be sure to take.  It might ruin him forever.  

I agree.  I am certainly not putting the Clemson game all on JS either....just thinking outside the box bc I get tired of reading the same stuff all the time....and MW does make me excited about the future if he lives up to billing (I learned my lesson w/ JJ) :-\

Willis may be good at some point and I think ideally it would be good for him to keep his RS bc we have Stidham and White to fall back on.

My thing is we have seen JS do well in games -- he was just wearing another jersey. This is enough for me to know he has skills they just arent being utilized properly. This isn't JJ where we only have 30 minutes of good football on film against a team that was preparing all summer to face the standard Nick Marshall offense. JS has 3 full games against P5 competition and looked good -- because that staff knew how to put their players in a position to succeed. 

Now, there is a chance that our staff is so dumb they don't know how to utilize any other skill set at the QB spot and maybe Willis is actually the best guy to run Gus' "system" bc he can run himself out of bad play calls but chances are Gus is not going to coach him for the rest of Willis' eligibility at AU so I'd rather he keep his redshirt.

3 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

A CHANCE!!!!:hammerin:

LOL hey since Chip Lindsey has been handcuffed the previous 2 games I have a sliver of hope that with him calling the shots our O looks like it's supposed to now that he supposedly will be in charge of the O now. Maybe he knows how to utilize a guy who's strength is his arm talent.

Hoping hard as hecks right now!

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

LOL hey since Chip Lindsey has been handcuffed the previous 2 games I have a sliver of hope that with him calling the shots our O looks like it's supposed to now that he supposedly will be in charge of the O now. Maybe he knows how to utilize a guy who's strength is his arm talent.

Hoping hard as hecks right now!

And now Coach Hand is on the field where he should have been the entire time.. coaching his Oline. 

8 hours ago, TecmoBoJackson said:

I recently went back and started watching some of his highlight film and film from A-Day.  I'm not saying this kid will be get the start anytime soon but if his number gets called, I will certainly being paying attention.  Seems like he has no problem making the reads and finding open guys as well as being smart with running and passing options.  Again, most of what I am pulling from is A-Day, not a "real" game as some would say but I also watched Stidham too, and a lot of the plays he made in the Spring look like duplicates of the first two games this year.  I believe (hope) JS will get settled in, but if he doesn't and MW gets put in, could be fun to watch.

WDE!!!!

The problem is JS looked great and was not hesitant in the spring game either.

37 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Hmmm, maybe we should break out the ORANGE jerseys so our QB's will think they won't get hit in the real games either.

8 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

No one was trying to take his head off in the spring game.

18 hours ago, TecmoBoJackson said:

WDE!!!!

I didn't see the same thing as you in the spring game with Stidham. I thought he looked really good in the spring game. He makes quick decisions, makes accurate throws, goes through progressions, checks the ball down when he has that option. Part of that could be that he wasn't facing our best pass rush and that he couldn't be hit. I thought he looked really composed and confident. When he has time, he's really good. He even showed that in the Clemson game on the very few occasions that he was given time.

I really think the whole matter comes down to this:

Gus has proven that the only 2 years his offense has worked in the SEC is when we had true dual threat qbs (Cam and Nick). Obviously we could tell by the play calling Sat. that he has not turned the offense over to anybody. The only thing different was we were trying to throw the ball downfield 30-40 yards (bad strategy).

One of 2 things needs to happen:

1. If Gus insists on running this same offense, then Stidham is not the guy to run it b/c he is not a threat to run and the defense can pin their ears back and sack, sack, sack all night. In this case, he may as well go ahead and put Willis in being as he is much closer to a dt qb.

2. What I would like to see is Gus truly turn the O over to Chip and install a conventional passing game that is more suited to JS' skills.

If Gus does not make a change one way or the other, then you can rack up losses to good defenses ( GA, ALA, LSU and possibly atm) resulting in either an 8-4 or 7-5 season and Gus' firing.

I hope Gus finally sees the light and changes b/c I don't know we could get the coach we need to take us to the next level.

46 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

This is not directed at the OP- I long for the day when Auburn fans get behind the current starting QB when things get tough.

Nobody is really not behind the QB or any of the other players.    When a player makes a mistake, hey that happens, he'll get better.    When the player keeps making the same mistake again and again, thats not on the player

4 hours ago, doverstutts said:

Nobody is really not behind the QB or any of the other players.    When a player makes a mistake, hey that happens, he'll get better.    When the player keeps making the same mistake again and again, thats not on the player

^^^^This^^^^

6 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

This is not directed at the OP- I long for the day when Auburn fans get behind the current starting QB when things get tough.

I'm behind Stidham I'm not behind Malzahn as he's worn out his welcome.

On 9/14/2017 at 2:43 PM, weagl1 said:

Until the O line issues are addressed I would hate to see Malik exposed to the beating he would be sure to take.  It might ruin him forever.  

if malzahn does't ruin him first

5 hours ago, doverstutts said:

When the player keeps making the same mistake again and again, thats not on the player

What? That's exactly who its on. Look,  every play a coach designs or calls is designed to score.  There are a multitude of reasons why they don't always work, but that's for another time. If the coach calls the play,  and the players don't execute it, then its not the coach's fault. To blame player's execution on a coach is beyond laughable. They might be bad plays being called, but its not the coach's job to execute them.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

What? That's exactly who its on. Look,  every play a coach designs or calls is designed to score.  There are a multitude of reasons why they don't always work, but that's for another time. If the coach calls the play,  and the players don't execute it, then its not the coach's fault. To blame player's execution on a coach is beyond laughable. They might be bad plays being called, but its not the coach's job to execute them.

Think about that for a bit though.  For the most part you are correct, but there are schemes and plays that are inherently flawed to the point of non-executionable (new word).  For example, the greatest guard of all time is not going to pull and block Myles Garrett off the backside edge.  The greatest left tackle of all time isn't going to cutoff an inside backer playing inside eye of the backside guard.  Stupid play design is not executable.  Now a normal play design and call that the player doesn't do a reasonable job on is not on the coach, IF the play has been coached and repped sufficiently in practice.  IMO of course.

40 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Think about that for a bit though.  For the most part you are correct, but there are schemes and plays that are inherently flawed to the point of non-executionable (new word).  For example, the greatest guard of all time is not going to pull and block Myles Garrett off the backside edge.  The greatest left tackle of all time isn't going to cutoff an inside backer playing inside eye of the backside guard.  Stupid play design is not executable.  Now a normal play design and call that the player doesn't do a reasonable job on is not on the coach, IF the play has been coached and repped sufficiently in practice.  IMO of course.

The guard kicking out the back side end is a play you will see 50 times on Sunday and 100 on Saturday. Its a good blocking scheme. That said, Myles isn't a typical DE and the guard took the wrong path. He took it as if playing against a normal college end. He should have pulled at a deeper angle to offset Myles' speed. The play wasn't bad, nor the scheme. Rather the execution of of the block was...but the guard should've been prepared for his speed through reps and film study.

17 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Could also be because he was running CL's offense, which @WarDamnEagleWDE, @passthebiscuits, and others have said Gus changed a few weeks before our game(s)

I have been out of touch with football developments due to surgery this past week, so please forgive my question. I read a hint somewhere on this site today that it was hinted that Stan White may not be available again this..now the 3rd week of the season. Can anyone provide any real info and thoughts. Has he gone "rogue", has CGM blackballed him or is he in one working through one of his perpetual injuries? I was hoping that if nothing else this season, we would at least have 2 reasonably capable Quarterbacks available on Saturdays??

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The guard kicking out the back side end is a play you will see 50 times on Sunday and 100 on Saturday. Its a good blocking scheme.

I may agree with you and just used the wrong terminology.  I referenced back side, because Myles was lined up over the LT and Braden was RG.  However, (and i just went back and rewatched the two plays), and Myles was actually the play side DE (meaning the QB/RB mesh was going to him).  If he was truly backside and we were running away from him, I'd agree the playside guard could cut him off (instead of the backside guard trying to block the playside DE).  I think the way we ran it was unsound and not physically possible.  But, maybe we just disagree.

9 minutes ago, au701948 said:

I have been out of touch with football developments due to surgery this past week, so please forgive my question. I read a hint somewhere on this site today that it was hinted that Stan White may not be available again this..now the 3rd week of the season. Can anyone provide any real info and thoughts. Has he gone "rogue", has CGM blackballed him or is he in one working through one of his perpetual injuries? I was hoping that if nothing else this season, we would at least have 2 reasonably capable Quarterbacks available on Saturdays??

I am pretty sure STAN used up his eligibility in the 90s.  However, SEAN has been "reported" here on this site to still be injured and may not be available.

Archived