A few thoughts on M. Willis....

TecmoBoJackson

8 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Probably not even then. I believe the he red-shirts no matter what, not that this makes any sense.

With the incoming potential talent (if you go by the star rankings) of the QB classes each season and the expectation of most recruits that early playing time is in their future, I am not sure what redshirting really accomplishes in the first place. 

I know, I know, some players are simply not ready to play their freshman year and need a year or two to develop but it is rare now-a-days to see someone play for 3-4 seasons.  I guess I am just wondering how valuable redshirting really is.  Particularly in our situation.  We've had some redshirt QB's end up leaving the team for a variety of reasons and never see any playing time. 

To add to this, it seems that more and more freshman QBs are coming into college football and playing well right out of the gate.  So, does it seem to you that redshirting is losing some of its worth?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Hypothetically let's say that Stidham gets an unsportsmanlike penalty called for losing his cool after a late hit and then a little later he gets a second unsportsmanlike penalty for taunting the defense after a score. He gets ejected and then Malzahn has to play Willis. That's about as likely as the Missouri game being a blowout. I have a sinking feeling and I hope I'm wrong that Malzahn  won't lift the redshirt until he is forced to. :dunno:

According to most that watched Gus' presser (I refuse to listen to him) he mention that MW was his #2, but in the same presser Gus mentioned that Adams can run the base offense and he is giving Davis reps at QB.  The Gus faithful believe he will play MW if the game is a blowout as MW is #2.

I have another take; I believe if the game is a blow out in the 4th qtr Auburn will only require the base offense to run the clock, therefore, Adams will get the mob up duty in that game.  Gus tells the truth again, you just have to know how to read him.  His plan is to red shirt MW.  JMO

On 9/15/2017 at 8:53 AM, ArgoEagle said:

I really think the whole matter comes down to this:

Gus has proven that the only 2 years his offense has worked in the SEC is when we had true dual threat qbs (Cam and Nick). Obviously we could tell by the play calling Sat. that he has not turned the offense over to anybody. The only thing different was we were trying to throw the ball downfield 30-40 yards (bad strategy).

One of 2 things needs to happen:

1. If Gus insists on running this same offense, then Stidham is not the guy to run it b/c he is not a threat to run and the defense can pin their ears back and sack, sack, sack all night. In this case, he may as well go ahead and put Willis in being as he is much closer to a dt qb.

2. What I would like to see is Gus truly turn the O over to Chip and install a conventional passing game that is more suited to JS' skills.

If Gus does not make a change one way or the other, then you can rack up losses to good defenses ( GA, ALA, LSU and possibly atm) resulting in either an 8-4 or 7-5 season and Gus' firing.

I hope Gus finally sees the light and changes b/c I don't know we could get the coach we need to take us to the next level.

See, I keep hearing about how these QBs are dual threat QBs when they're brought in and then to hear that they're not (JJ, JS)! Either that, or they're all of a sudden "a project." So will we be hearing how Malik isn't a dual threat too?!

Malik SEEMS tailor-made for this offense (if any QB is, that is).

Oh, I haven't been following him, but what's the latest on Joey Gatewood? Is he "not a running QB" or a "project" too?

31 minutes ago, Shift said:

With the incoming potential talent (if you go by the star rankings) of the QB classes each season and the expectation of most recruits that early playing time is in their future, I am not sure what redshirting really accomplishes in the first place. 

I know, I know, some players are simply not ready to play their freshman year and need a year or two to develop but it is rare now-a-days to see someone play for 3-4 seasons.  I guess I am just wondering how valuable redshirting really is.  Particularly in our situation.  We've had some redshirt QB's end up leaving the team for a variety of reasons and never see any playing time. 

To add to this, it seems that more and more freshman QBs are coming into college football and playing well right out of the gate.  So, does it seem to you that redshirting is losing some of its worth?

I was more going with the idea that he'll be needed or required to win a game at some point, but instead we'll just decide to not win. It's the capstone to making this season perfectly identicle to last season, which I could swear to you is the goal.

12 hours ago, AUwent said:

See, I keep hearing about how these QBs are dual threat QBs when they're brought in and then to hear that they're not (JJ, JS)! Either that, or they're all of a sudden "a project." So will we be hearing how Malik isn't a dual threat too?!

Malik SEEMS tailor-made for this offense (if any QB is, that is).

Oh, I haven't been following him, but what's the latest on Joey Gatewood? Is he "not a running QB" or a "project" too?

That's the thing I don't like about Gus. He doesn't tell it like it is; keeps everything tight lipped and has to do a lot of explaining after something don't work like he had planned. Gus does not have anybody snowed about himself, or his offensive genius (laugh) anymore.

12 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

According to most that watched Gus' presser (I refuse to listen to him) he mention that MW was his #2, but in the same presser Gus mentioned that Adams can run the base offense and he is giving Davis reps at QB.  The Gus faithful believe he will play MW if the game is a blowout as MW is #2.

I have another take; I believe if the game is a blow out in the 4th qtr Auburn will only require the base offense to run the clock, therefore, Adams will get the mob up duty in that game.  Gus tells the truth again, you just have to know how to read him.  His plan is to red shirt MW.  JMO

Probably correct...since there is almost  no chance of JS running off to the NFL after this year....barring injury we have our QB for next season too.... and save MW a season for the future unless we need a backup for more than just a few plays..

Just rip the bandaid off and burn his redshirt (I say that in a positive manor).  He will most likely play this season anyways, so if we are up comfortably, go ahead and pull Stidham to preserve his health and give Willis some experience.  He honestly looked ready when he played in the A-Day game.

15 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Just rip the bandaid off and burn his redshirt (I say that in a positive manor).  He will most likely play this season anyways, so if we are up comfortably, go ahead and pull Stidham to preserve his health and give Willis some experience.  He honestly looked ready when he played in the A-Day game.

I share your thinking on this, in fact I've was hoping to see MW in the GSU game and some playing time in the Mercer game.  It's the only way to gain experience.  Gus' personnel management has been mind boggling to me, in the GSU game, KJ goes down and Kmart comes in and does an excellent job and we haven't seen him since.  Gus would rather play a RB that is not 100% and not spelling him for the entire game.

If MW doesn't get playing time in this game, with the SEC schedule we have coming up, he may not see the field this year unless JS is injured. This will set us up for another year where we may not have an experienced backup QB for amen corner.  Gus doesn't seem to like to make a decision on his personnel until he is forced to by circumstances.

Gus will be Gus and I understand that.  If he doesn't have a successful season it's all on him as it should be.  Good luck to Auburn because that is what Gus seems to be relying on.

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I share your thinking on this, in fact I've was hoping to see MW in the GSU game and some playing time in the Mercer game.  It's the only way to gain experience.  Gus' personnel management has been mind boggling to me, in the GSU game, KJ goes down and Kmart comes in and does an excellent job and we haven't seen him since.  Gus would rather play a RB that is not 100% and not spelling him for the entire game.

If MW doesn't get playing time in this game, with the SEC schedule we have coming up, he may not see the field this year unless JS is injured. This will set us up for another year where we may not have an experienced backup QB for amen corner.  Gus doesn't seem to like to make a decision on his personnel until he is forced to by circumstances.

Gus will be Gus and I understand that.  If he doesn't have a successful season it's all on him as it should be.  Good luck to Auburn because that is what Gus seems to be relying on.

I think with KP, Gus was really trying to get him back into form so I was not as concerned with that.  We also don't know what goes on in practice.  KM has had fumbling issues, so maybe that is why he was held out?  With Willis' redshirt, it is like with a new car.  You are so paranoid not to let it get a scratch, until someone has had enough and just scratches it once so you can take a chill pill.  I am also hopeful we land Justin Fields in 2018, and Bo Nix in 2019 so those guys (if they live up to the hype) will only stay 3 years, redshirt or not.  Same goes for Willis as much as people have raved about him.

9 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I think with KP, Gus was really trying to get him back into form so I was not as concerned with that.  We also don't know what goes on in practice.  KM has had fumbling issues, so maybe that is why he was held out?  With Willis' redshirt, it is like with a new car.  You are so paranoid not to let it get a scratch, until someone has had enough and just scratches it once so you can take a chill pill.  I am also hopeful we land Justin Fields in 2018, and Bo Nix in 2019 so those guys (if they live up to the hype) will only stay 3 years, redshirt or not.  Same goes for Willis as much as people have raved about him.

Are you in sales?  Malik Miller is another option for RB that Gus could use, but doesn't and paranoid is a great description of Gus.  With regard to Justin Fields in 2018, when was the last time Gus pulled in a 5* QB out of HS?  When Gus got the job as OC I was thinking that Auburn will never have a QB issue again.  Anybody and everybody who is a 5* QB would be fighting to go to Auburn and play.

Fast forward to today, I'll be pleasantly surprised if Fields commits to Auburn.  It may depend upon how JS progresses, but if I were a QB coming out of HS, I would look at what coach can develop me into a polished and poised QB with a possible future in the NFL.  If we're going up against FSU, game over.

JG seems to be solid to Auburn and Gus wanting to save MW red shirt, to me, is a tell tale sign that Gus is not sure Fields is committing.  If, as you say, a QB is skilled and will only stay for 3 years, why save a red shirt if he can contribute?  Somebody has to be the backup, they can't all start.  There is a possiblity that if MW doesn't play this year, he may never play if we are successful in getting Fields and Gatewood.

It's a crap shoot, but the priority should be the current year, not what may happen in the future.  JMO.

Of the 95 players who went into this last draft with remaining eligibility, 5 of them were QBs. QBs don't often go pro early.

It would not be logical to keep Willis's redshirt on him on the off chance that any other QBs- particularly ones that haven't yet signed with Auburn or aren't even in this recruiting cycle- go pro early. 

And, certainly, we've been provided no assurances that this offense is quarterback-friendly enough to send a guy early. 

On 9/15/2017 at 7:29 AM, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

This is not directed at the OP- I long for the day when Auburn fans get behind the current starting QB when things get tough.

I'm behind Stidham 100%. It's not his fault he has practiced one thing and then been called on to preform something different. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Probably correct...since there is almost  no chance of JS running off to the NFL after this year....barring injury we have our QB for next season too.... and save MW a season for the future unless we need a backup for more than just a few plays..

No chance. I'd hold up on that thought. He gets a good grade from some scouts, he may well be gone. If that grade is in the first 4 rounds. 

36 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Are you in sales?  

Never been asked that before on here.  What makes you ask?  But the answer to you question is not really, but sort of.  I am a financial/estate planner.  I sell people on myself and the job I can get done for them with estate tax/charitable/succession planning issues.

Back to football:  It will be interesting to see for sure.  I am just in the mindset, if his redshirt will be burned, go ahead and do it.  Need need to do what Ole Miss did to Sea Patterson.

8 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Never been asked that before on here.  What makes you ask?  But the answer to you question is not really, but sort of.  I am a financial/estate planner.  I sell people on myself and the job I can get done for them with estate tax/charitable/succession planning issues.

Back to football:  It will be interesting to see for sure.  I am just in the mindset, if his redshirt will be burned, go ahead and do it.  Need need to do what Ole Miss did to Sea Patterson.

We should've run our actual offense against GSU and, if Stidham had gotten his issues worked out in the first 3 quarters of that game- instead of waiting until our 3rd game to run our real offense- then we should have burned it late in that game. Instead, we were still working out the kinks in the offense against Mercer and didn't get an opportunity to play the backup. We absolutely need to take the next opportunity to do that. Not holding my breath that it will be against Mizzou but, hey, hope is all we've got, right?

54 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

The reason I asked is you are always looking at the optimistic side of Auburn Football.  It's a mindset I sometimes wish I had more of, just not wired that way.  I am of the same mindset, I'm disappointed Gus hasn't already burnt the shirt. 

My take is this.  If you have already made the decision that if something happens to Stidham then MW will be your starter, you had better be getting the kid some playing time now. Take off the redshirt and put him in the game. 

13 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

My take is this.  If you have already made the decision that, if something happens to Stidham then MW will be your starter, you had better be getting the kid some playing time now. Take off the redshirt and put him in the game. 

Hard to imagine that decision hasn't already been made. Or maybe Adams is way better than we know. 

47 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The reason I asked is you are always looking at the optimistic side of Auburn Football.  It's a mindset I sometimes wish I had more of, just not wired that way.  I am of the same mindset, I'm disappointed Gus hasn't already burnt the shirt. 

I've got to be the pumper droppin those beats:

hqdefault.jpg

So everyone else in this forum can carry on without losing their minds:

200_s.gif

@WarDamnEagleWDE any thoughts on how we might use Willis going forward? It seems important, maybe imperative, hat we get him some real game reps in the event he has to take over should Stidham go down with an injury. Do you think we're building a package similar to JJ in 2013 to get Willis' feet wet?

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Nice to hear that you're in such a happy place!

Archived