New AU Softball Head Coach announced

12844127.jpeg

Mickey Dean has been named Auburn's head softball coach, Auburn Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs announced Thursday. Dean comes to Auburn after five seasons as the head coach at James Madison.

Dean is widely regarded as one of the elite coaches in the country for taking programs to unprecedented heights while developing student-athletes to earn national acclaim.

"Coach Dean's accomplishments at JMU are remarkable," Jacobs said. "He's won consistently at every level throughout his career. He's done it the right way, winning with class and integrity while graduating his student-athletes at a high level. Auburn already has a winning program and we're going to get even better. He's a great fit for Auburn."

In 11 years at the collegiate level, Dean has coached seven NCAA Tournament teams, including one super regional participant, and won nine conference championships.

A native of Elkton, Va., Dean has guided 76 all-conference players, 40 all-region honorees and seven all-Americans, including 2017 National Player of the Year, Megan Good. He has also been touted as the conference coach of the year eight times.

"It is an honor to be named the leader of the Auburn softball program," Dean said. "I want to thank President Leath, Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs and the Board of Trustees for the exciting opportunity to lead this program.

"The future is bright for Auburn softball. We want the fans to be as excited as we are to come out and watch the program represent them in the highest standing."

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/091417aaa.html

Capture.PNG

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I immediately suggested him when we had an opening.  I'm beyond thrilled.   This is an absolutely terrific hire.     Now, it would be great to see Meagan Good transfer and come with him.

7 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

I immediately suggested him when we had an opening.  I'm beyond thrilled.   This is an absolutely terrific hire.     Now, it would be great to see Meagan Good transfer and come with him.

I agree.  Great hire and it would be double great if she did come with him.

When Clint resigned I didn't think it would be hard to get a great replacement given where he'd taken the program to.  Then the ESPN article and stuff hit the fan and I was worried we'd be having to settle for a lesser hire because the good ones would be scared off.  This is a pleasant surprise.

Not familiar at all with softball coaching but sounds like a lot of happy folks so I'll get behind it. WDE Coach Dean!  So what about the assistants? Do they stay from last staff or does he have to hire them?

Fantastic!  Glad to get a proven Head Coach.  Pitching should remain solid with this hire.  So glad to see a hire we are not disappointed in.  

Archived