TitanTiger

New AU Softball Head Coach announced

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, InfernoOrangeSS said:

Consensus seems to be that it's an excellent hire.  Does JJ get credit for that?

 

 

Of course not. Either Jimmy Rane or President Leath is responsible for this hire. Or maybe Pat Dye did it. Anybody but JJ! :)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Of course not. Either Jimmy Rane or President Leath is responsible for this hire. Or maybe Pat Dye did it. Anybody but JJ! :)

Or Richard Shea, Courtney's dad. He pretty much got the Myers to AU thing done.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Or Richard Shea, Courtney's dad. He pretty much got the Myers to AU thing done.

Or Bo Jackson. Just as long as JJ gets no credit lots of people will be happy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I did.  Because even though there are established big time guys out there, softball is still in its nascent stage and not all schools support it the way the SEC does.  Auburn has some of the better facilities and support for a non-revenue sport like softball compared to anywhere in the country.  Clint had recruited well so they'd walk into a stocked cupboard, there's great fan support and a pattern of winning and competing at the highest level.  And we pay well.  All of those factors bode well for us - until the scandal hit the press.

Agree with most except the facilities part. Even though many other stadiums are smaller there are a good number of teams that have better facilities overall than AU. If the renovation plans & indoor practice facility go though then that will change for the better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Athletic Department executed a plan!!!!!    They were committed to build off this foundation and had the green light  to go big and like I said they will keep all cards close to the vest.   Thought for sure someone would leak info, but this one has been dead quiet, like they said.  There is hope!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Whitney has moved on to get her student teaching in so she can get her degree.  She is 23 years old and ready to get on with her life, her teaching and her coaching career.  Wishing the best of everything for Whitney.  

 

 

Clint would not work around her schedule. The new coach might if she chooses to resume the game. I know people who know her dad real well and he acted like there was more to it than the school and scheduling conflict. That's the only reason mentioned it because she is a hometown girl. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The athletic department was determined to make a point with this hire.  They really hit it out of the park.   This is a terrific hire that stunned many people involved with the sport around the country.  As bad as it can get on our own message boards, you can imagine the mis-information and negative assumptions made by many with no connection to Auburn.  There was a belief held by many that Auburn would slowly drift back to irrelevance.  This is a hire that has changed the narrative.

It looks pretty clear that Auburn also contacted the Oklahoma staff in some capacity and received positive feedback.  To counter that effort, Oklahoma announced this morning that they had approved raises for their entire staff.  The raises aren't simply marginal increases. 

Oklahoma HC Patty Gasso - Previous Salary - $481,000 increased to $725,000 plus a $200,000 yearly retention bonus on Feb 1st each year. Total yearly compensation: $925,000.00

Melyssa Lombardi, after 21 years as Assistant Coach, was elevated to Associate Head Coach and salary increased from $109,000 to $185,000

J.T. Gasso, Patty Gasso's son, currently an assistant coach, salary increased from $83,400 to $125,000

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got home from broadcasting a high school football game and saw this.  Really great hire.  Pleasantly surprised by this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ellitor said:

You're kite about that roach!

Where did I hear this phrase from? Was it an old osmicote "yella wood" commercial talking about the Troy ST head football coach in the 90s? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I strongly encourage others to visit his twitter. He seems like a really fun coach to play for. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/deanAU_TigersSB

Edited by aujeff11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was upset with all the drama and uncertainty with the softball team in the last few months. I had never really followed softball until Coach Myers came to AU. I just really enjoyed watching the team on TV and watching us rise to a national power. I thought we would go away once Coach Myers left. I am so happy that we were able to make a quality hire and that we will (fingers crossed) be able to continue to have an elite program. War Eagle!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't catch this last night but it's a nice thing to see early in the morning. He was one of the first guys that I thought of when Myers left. He was probably Number one as far as people I thought we had a good shot at. My wife and I have really enjoyed watching the last few years and this should help keep the momentum going and the fans supporting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Where did I hear this phrase from? Was it an old osmicote "yella wood" commercial talking about the Troy ST head football coach in the 90s? 

 

Edited by The Freak
Wrong info - deleted.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And here's the interesting part.  Dean turned down the offer to come to Auburn last week.  I'm curious to see what his salary is when it is announced.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gibson SG said:

And here's the interesting part.  Dean turned down the offer to come to Auburn last week.  I'm curious to see what his salary is when it is announced.

So you are saying he said no unless other considerations were added? salary perks? hope it does not include a son hire:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

So you are saying he said no unless other considerations were added? salary perks? hope it does not include a son hire:)

 

I'm sure that the fact that he would be leaving mid fall was not too appealing to him.  I guess Auburn sweetened the deal and made to where he couldn't refuse.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Luck and War Eagle coach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fired up about the hire of Coach Dean. He's exactly what we need to keep the program moving forward. Kinda shocked but let's face it...it is AU. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gibson SG said:

And here's the interesting part.  Dean turned down the offer to come to Auburn last week.  I'm curious to see what his salary is when it is announced.

Glad Auburn didn't take no for an answer. Impressive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AU9377 said:

The athletic department was determined to make a point with this hire.  They really hit it out of the park.   This is a terrific hire that stunned many people involved with the sport around the country.  As bad as it can get on our own message boards, you can imagine the mis-information and negative assumptions made by many with no connection to Auburn.  There was a belief held by many that Auburn would slowly drift back to irrelevance.  This is a hire that has changed the narrative.

It looks pretty clear that Auburn also contacted the Oklahoma staff in some capacity and received positive feedback.  To counter that effort, Oklahoma announced this morning that they had approved raises for their entire staff.  The raises aren't simply marginal increases. 

Oklahoma HC Patty Gasso - Previous Salary - $481,000 increased to $725,000 plus a $200,000 yearly retention bonus on Feb 1st each year. Total yearly compensation: $925,000.00

Melyssa Lombardi, after 21 years as Assistant Coach, was elevated to Associate Head Coach and salary increased from $109,000 to $185,000

J.T. Gasso, Patty Gasso's son, currently an assistant coach, salary increased from $83,400 to $125,000

Thanks..  .  and not surprised. .figured several other coaches would benefit from our coaching search...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, warladytigers said:

Reading from a softball forum that Jennifer Herzig may come with him.....her bio - http://www.jmusports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1494&path=softball

Great hire for the team!  Hope they will rally around the changes that are sure to come!  We have full roster with plenty of talent!  WDE!

And the #2 & 3 ranked recruiting classes in the nation coming in the next 2 years also.

Edited by ellitor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now