New AU Softball Head Coach announced

FYI.  Scout is supposed to have a video feature/interview with Dean up on the site sometime tomorrow.      I haven't seen any info regarding contract terms.  I would like to know those details.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

FYI.  Scout is supposed to have a video feature/interview with Dean up on the site sometime tomorrow.      I haven't seen any info regarding contract terms.  I would like to know those details.

I agree.  I would like see the contract details as well.  Someone posted that he turned down the original offer.  Wonder what made him change his mind.

I suppose we are always interested in the "What did it take to get him" aspect of hiring a new coach.  We know that Myers was making a tad over $200K.  As a frame of reference we were just made aware that Oklahoma blew the top salary out of the water with a base of $725K for Gasso plus what appears to amount to $200K annually as a retainer.  Walton at Florida (2016) made $305K base with bonus potential $45-90K).  Mike Smith at Ole Miss as of August 2017 got raise 140K up to $190 K.  Coach Dean, I believe was making roughly $130K at his previous gig.  Seems to have been a recent boom in popularity of Women's Softball and competition for top level coaches.  Considering he is from the state of Virginia, has a well established program and is basically the top dog in his conference it will be interesting to see what it took to have him take the helm at Auburn.  You don't ever want someone to pull a "Patrick Murphy" on you. However, I doubt JMU would have the resources to make that happen and they have clearly moved on.  Also curious about any assistants.  

5 yr deal with a salary roughly $250K.  Presume that is base salary.  He will be conducting practice this Tuesday and practices are "open".   A video of his  statements from today is up on YouTube and on AL.com.  Some interesting comments about pitching to contact vs pitch to strike out.  Also, I really liked his position regarding potential transfers from JMU to Auburn stating it would not be fair to either university.  He will inform the media as soon as there are any new staff announcements.  One of his interesting quotes for his players: "The only time we will have a problem is if I am out working you or you are out working me".

JMO but that sounds like a reasonable and fair deal.  I have the feeling that Clint was somewhat underpaid but it also seemed to be a family deal in which he did not push his own salary. 

Even if JMU could have matched the salary offer there was no way they could match facilities or the up-side to coaching in the SEC and coming into a program with a stocked roster.  We got the guy we should have been after from day #1 and if he is happy, then I'm  happy.

I'm late as well.  with everything that went down I would have never imagined us in a 1000 years being able to land a coach of his stature.

I really imagined us losing recruits and players and struggling to find a quality coach.

I'm very happily suprised.

2 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

I'm late as well.  with everything that went down I would have never imagined us in a 1000 years being able to land a coach of his statute.

I really imagined us losing recruits and players and struggling to find a quality coach.

I'm very happily suprised.

Yes, I agree.  I hope he can lay down the law. :rimshot:  

A nice interview from over year ago, especially when he talks about team leaders and recruiting good people.  I think we got an A+ coach and goes right up there with the Bruce Pearl hiring.  I am sure we will see a couple leave after fall ball, but that is normal.  The one thing that he makes clear is that if you are not 100 percent commit to the plan, then it is time to move on.  

Hoping Clint comes out of the investigation in good shape.....he put the AU program on the map and has set the table for Mickey Dean to take things to the next level with a good roster and some fine commits.    Can't wait until the new season gets under way.

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Hoping Clint comes out of the investigation in good shape.....he put the AU program on the map and has set the table for Mickey Dean to take things to the next level with a good roster and some fine commits.    Can't wait until the new season gets under way.

Agreed.  I like Clint. He is a great coach and recruiter.  He did put Auburn in the conversations.  His crappy son put him in a terrible position.  What would we do if faced with that?   Family or job?  

9 hours ago, around4ever said:

Agreed.  I like Clint. He is a great coach and recruiter.  He did put Auburn in the conversations.  His crappy son put him in a terrible position.  What would we do if faced with that?   Family or job?  

I'm thinking family...and expect he was thinking of his grandchildren who were innocent victims of his son's transgressions. 

After hearing Coach Dean acceptance speech, I was under the impression that practice would start last week. I recently got an email from the On Deck Club (soft ball support group) that practice would start 9/27. This would be roughly 3 weeks prior to first fall game. From looking at twitter of a couple of players I got the impression that they began some early morning conditioning workouts about 2 weeks ago. As I posted in a different thread, I left a voice mail with Megan Reynolds suggesting they post practice schedule/times on the AU Softball twitter page. Also the email from the ON Deck Club indicated the schedule/times would be posted. As others have posted, I was also saddened the Coach Myers had to retire in the setting of a program scandal. Not what he deserved in my opinion. Under the circumstances we came out better than I could have imagined and I look forward to continued success in the softball program.

Looks like Coach Dean is filling out his staff with some impressive hires.  Glasco from T A&M and Smith from LSU (was GaSouthern head coach before that).  I don't know that much on these folks, but I like what stats they bring with them.  Seem to be an impressive bunch and not necessarily from one coaching tree.

Looking forward to seeing the team in action again in fall ball.

On 9/21/2017 at 10:33 AM, auburnphan said:

Has there been any word from yesterdays practice?

Word about what? We don't typically follow day to day softball practices like we do football.

On September 21, 2017 at 10:33 AM, auburnphan said:

Has there been any word from yesterdays practice?

Yeah, you know, Gus said that the softball team had a good week of practice. Yeah, you know, They have some things to work on.  They will get better. 

54 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Yeah, you know, Gus said that the softball team had a good week of practice. Yeah, you know, They have some things to work on.  They will get better. 

No doubt about it.

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

Did he mention injuries or suspensions yet?  :)

4 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Wondering if we might see Ashlee Swindle at the plate.  She had a prodigious bat for Curry, but Clint didn't allow his pitchers to hit.  Dean does.

Same might be said of Chardonnay Harris, the left handed freshman pitcher.  Not only did she have a 19 - 0 record and 0.29 ERA, she had a batting average of .524 with 51 RBI's. 

Very good article about her in Chicago Tribune (6/21/17) titled " Pioneer Press softball player of the year: OPRF's  Chardonnay Harris.  You can find it via google.  Her mother died when she was 5 and her biological father is incarcerated.  She was adopted and raised by her aunt (mother's sister) and uncle and considers them her parents.  Very good read and will likely make you an instant Chardonnay fan. 

Also, since mentioned here...the practice schedule is up on the Auburn Softball twitter page ...auburntige.rs/au17practice.

9/27   3:30 - 6:30

9/28   4 - 7

9/29   3 - 6

9/30   9 - 12

10/1   no practice

Archived