New AU Softball Head Coach announced

22 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Fantastic!  Glad to get a proven Head Coach.  Pitching should remain solid with this hire.  So glad to see a hire we are not disappointed in.  

Yes.  He's the pitching coach.  His 2 assistants coach the position players.  Wonder if they will come with him.  They're all from Virginia.  Their top gun is Meagan Good and they beat us 2 out of the last 3 games.  The only game we won was when she didn't pitch.  Matter of fact, if my memory serves me correctly, they hung our first loss of the season on us in 2016.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

When Clint resigned I didn't think it would be hard to get a great replacement given where he'd taken the program to.  Then the ESPN article and stuff hit the fan and I was worried we'd be having to settle for a lesser hire because the good ones would be scared off.  This is a pleasant surprise.

I can't believe you or anyone would have thought AU would get a big time already established HC like Dean. A top flight assistant sure but a national top 5-10 HC? no way. And it's not even the issues AU is dealing with that had me thinking no for a big time HC. It's the fact the new calendar season has already started even though the playing season hasn't yet. Just didn't see a big time HC leaving his or her team this late.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I can't believe you or anyone would have thought AU would get a big time already established HC like Dean. A top flight assistant sure but a national top 5-10 HC? no way. And it's not even the issues AU is dealing with that had me thinking no for a big time HC. It's the fact the new calendar season has already started even though the playing season hasn't yet. Just didn't see a big time HC leaving his or her team this late.

Actually an a amazing hire for the times/situation

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I did.  Because even though there are established big time guys out there, softball is still in its nascent stage and not all schools support it the way the SEC does.  Auburn has some of the better facilities and support for a non-revenue sport like softball compared to anywhere in the country.  Clint had recruited well so they'd walk into a stocked cupboard, there's great fan support and a pattern of winning and competing at the highest level.  And we pay well.  All of those factors bode well for us - until the scandal hit the press.

Great Hire!  Glad to see this level of coach come in and should help our pitching.  Looking forward to some fall ball now!  Glad I got season tickets lined up for next year.

Absolutely fantastic hire. This guy has coached international and professionally before moving into the college ranks. 8 conference titles in 11 years at two different schools, that means he can flat out coach. War Eagle!!!!

15 minutes ago, Gibson SG said:

From the father of a current player, the players are really excited about the hire.

Great to hear.  

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

weird

You've never heard that saying with someone flipping the "r" & "ca" sounds in right & coach? Man that's a old school saying.

1 hour ago, saminbama said:

One of his assistants, Loren LaPorte was named as his replacement at JMU.  Be interesting to see who he hires.  Be nice if one or two of our recent grads got a shot.

We need a qualified full time woman on staff IMO.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You've never heard that saying with someone flipping the "r" & "ca" sounds in right & coach? Man that's a old school saying.

yes  just giving you a hard time

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Actually an a amazing hire for the times/situation

Absolutely a spot on awesome hire!!

8 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

That would be fantastic. 

Whitney has moved on to get her student teaching in so she can get her degree.  She is 23 years old and ready to get on with her life, her teaching and her coaching career.  Wishing the best of everything for Whitney.  

9 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

That would be fantastic. 

Archived