***FINAL: Auburn 24 Mercer 10***

RunInRed

Just now, Barnacle said:

If anyone has a semi-reasonable explanation for this, please tell me what I might be missing. 

As an aside, how did KP look? Still not 100%?

Gus does not trust them in close games. Pettway averaged less than 4 ypc.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

After the Iron Bowl. I would like him gone sooner as an effort to show that we're willing to move the program in a different direction. 

Why would Gus resign? :dunno:

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I will stick with what I said earlier this week - these four games are about getting better, not doing the easy stuff to get a win only to run into the same problems we had at Clemson vs LSU, UGA and Alabama.  I think we had a good plan to do that this week but shot ourselves in the foot with sloppy ball handling.  If that becomes a pattern it's a problem but one game isn't a pattern.

Like you, I wanted to see a strong focus on passing in this game.  I think the lacking aspect of the plan was having Pettway on the field, and then keeping him on the field throughout the game.  He was injured last year, and was obviously not 100% against Clemson.  Kerryon is already injured.  If that is not a glaring example of why you need your backups to get reps in games like this, I do not know what is.

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I didn't watch. Really no other backs got carries? 

We got the ball to Barrett a couple of times, and he showed some good speed, and ability to get hit, but they didn't give him enough opportunities; also Ibighanee (or however you spell it, although he is not a back got a couple of chances, but as well they never went back to him

Great win today holding off a Mercer juggernaut. Team was motivated, and their concentration level was outstanding. I don't know what Gus said to them this week to motivate them after that disappointing performance last week. I feel really good about the remainder of the season now. I actually think we could contend for the Southern Conference title. Too bad our next 3 games are not against Furman, Chattanooga,  and the Citadel. I don't care if Jarrett threw for a thousand yards. What I saw was a very disturbing lack of effort for the most part, and a team that was going through the motions. We cannot effectively run block a FCS team. It is going to get much uglier from here folks.

9 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

You're right. He's stubborn. He'll ride this sinking ship until he's told to resign or be fired. 

But there's no financial incentive for him to resign.  Just the opposite.

I thought had we not turned it over we looked really good. Obviously those were terrible plays but I liked our game plan much better and JS showed he can really throw the ball well. Talent-wise we looked good..effort-wise we looked terrible. Might be worse that way than the other way around though.

23 minutes ago, War Knight said:

Doesn't look promising. Here's how I see it:

Mizzou - Win, but we'll have to play an insane level of defense to keep it from being a high scoring game. Their defense is atrocious.

This right here is where I stopped reading your post.  We need to play an insane level of defense?  Dude, they've scored 16 points COMBINED the last two weeks with both games being at home.  Purdue held them to 203 yards total today.  Please stop ranting and actually watch football before commenting on other teams.

2 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

I thought had we not turned it over we looked really good. Obviously those were terrible plays but I liked our game plan much better and JS showed he can really throw the ball well. Talent-wise we looked good..effort-wise we looked terrible. Might be worse that way than the other way around though.

That's pretty much it.  Eliminate the turnovers, or even cut it down from 5 to 1 or 2 and we win 42-3 and Stidham's stat line has a couple of TDs added to it.

The criticism with Pettway getting all the carries is valid, but I do wonder if we'd have put Mercer away like we could have, if he'd have been taken out earlier.

How predictable is the play when you bring in a fresh RB, only to throw a screen or swing pass to him, and then watch him trot out of the game for Pettway?  Good grief. Happened in every game so far.  The last two, the RB's have gotten NO carries to complement it. 

I was listening to the post game interviews as I was driving home from watching the game over a relatives house. Gus was asked about not subbing at RB and working Pettway so hard for this game. His remarks "Pettway is our guy, the game was to close and that was the game plan in so many words". Gus interviews are about 99% the same each week with no relevant subject to the actual game "we will get better"... when Gus, when will we see this better that you keep talking about. What a complete joke and embarrassment he is bringing to this football program. 

I'll wait unil next week to say if the sky is falling or not. We were flat out awful today but that was mainly because we couldn't hold onto the ball. but we only lost to Clemson (who looks like the best team in the country) by 8 points last week. Our Guys just weren't up for this game and that's it. I still think we have the talent to make some noise in the SEC but execution and play calling will be a big part of that. 

27 minutes ago, War Knight said:

Doesn't look promising. Here's how I see it:

Mizzou - Win, but we'll have to play an insane level of defense to keep it from being a high scoring game. Their defense is atrocious.

I generally try to refrain from using this word and in doing so I mean no insult to those with developmental disabilities.  But this is retarded.  Mizzou is an awful team that hasn't been able to score since playing video games against Missouri State.  I don't mind being upset, but at least retain a scintilla of common sense when doing it.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I generally try to refrain from using this word and in doing so I mean no insult to those with developmental disabilities.  But this is retarded.  Mizzou is an awful team that hasn't been able to score since playing video games against Missouri State.  I don't mind being upset, but at least retain a scintilla of common sense when doing it.

How much better is Mizzou compared to Mercer?  We beat Mercer by 14 at home and struggled to do so.  

wde

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

That's pretty much it.  Eliminate the turnovers, or even cut it down from 5 to 1 or 2 and we win 42-3 and Stidham's stat line has a couple of TDs added to it.

The criticism with Pettway getting all the carries is valid, but I do wonder if we'd have put Mercer away like we could have, if he'd have been taken out earlier.

You're right. If we hadn't turned it over, it would've been 31-3 at half IMO with the way we were owning the intermediate throws and moving the ball. I think if that's the case then all 3 backup RBs split the second half because turnovers wouldn't have been so huge if we were up 28. It's certainly possible that CGM just stupidly doesn't trust the other guys, but we didn't really put ourselves in the best position to play our backups either.

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

How much better is Mizzou compared to Mercer?  We beat Mercer by 14 at home and struggled to do so.  

wde

Are you under the assumption that we're regularly going to commit 5 turnovers along with multiple untimely penalties? 

We didn't struggle with Mercer.  We struggled with us.

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

Who said Mizzou was better?

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

This right here is where I stopped reading your post.  We need to play an insane level of defense?  Dude, they've scored 16 points COMBINED the last two weeks with both games being at home.  Purdue held them to 203 yards total today.  Please stop ranting and actually watch football before commenting on other teams.

It really does damage the credibility.  Mizzou is the SEC team on the schedule that I am least concerned about, and I cannot see how they have displayed anything to lead any rational person to believe that an insane level of anything would be needed to defeat them.  Based on their play thus far, the only way Auburn loses that game is they repeat today's turnovers.

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

It really does damage the credibility.  Mizzou is the SEC team on the schedule that I am least concerned about, and I cannot see how they have displayed anything to lead any rational person to believe that an insane level of anything would be needed to defeat them.  Based on their play thus far, the only way Auburn loses that game is they repeat today's turnovers.

Yep.  I plan on enjoying my day/evening in Columbia next week and then hitting the blackjack tables with a smile afterwards.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Are you under the assumption that we're regularly going to commit 5 turnovers along with multiple untimely penalties? 

We didn't struggle with Mercer.  We struggled with us.

I am under the assumption that the ineptness that is our O is going to struggle in whatever ways that manifest themselves on gameday whether it be turnovers, penalties, poor play calling, playing obviously injured players, etc due to the ineptness of our HC and his handpicked O coaching staff.

wde

1 hour ago, bikeriderga said:

We win a game over an extremely weak opponent by 14 points, who was actually only down by 7 until the last 7 minutes of the game.

Folks, that was one of the worst performances against a extremely over matched opponent I have ever seen. 

If there is not a MAJOR IMPROVEMENT in the next two weeks, we may not make it to a bowl game. Think about how bad that is considering  all of this talent on this team.

This was just pitiful.

I would say since the Jax St game.

Archived