Mercer Game Report Card

StatTiger

I hate that you work so hard to try and put some sanity into an insane situation. 

With his emotions, and his work ethic, he shows that he has already quit on this team. He is starting to remind me of Shula or Dubose at Alabama. Same tired cliched non-emotional dead to the world reactions to below level play and execution. Gus, we hired you to coach and win, not be Dr Phil. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2
  • Sad 1

Stats insight would probably save Gus his career, assuming he'd listen. Good work nab keep it up.

I'm baffled as to what we're doing on special teams though. Both punt units are pathetic 

• Like 1

Thanks, StatTiger the team is improving but sadly some posters are not. I think the special teams will come around and turn overs will stop. The receivers must be more proactive about insisting the ball is theirs when it is thrown to them. War Eagle

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

6 hours ago, War Knight said:

Stats insight would probably save Gus his career, assuming he'd listen. Good work nab keep it up.

I'm baffled as to what we're doing on special teams though. Both punt units are pathetic 

Gus has been very 'hands on' with special teams practice...just sayin'

I just wish we ran our offense like Clemson runs our offense...............

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

I just wish we ran our offense like Clemson runs our offense...............

I wish we developed our talent like Clemson develops theirs........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic

I've never been a kicker but for whatever reason Carlson is pulling his kicks to the left on a fairly consistent basis even during warm-ups. Seems like it should be easily correctable though. Not sure if it's just in his head now after missing a few but man is it weird hearing the entire stadium audibly gasp when we miss a FG (even one over 50 which should honestly be amusing considering what some teams would do for a kicker like ours). :)

I was happy to see Stidham throwing the ball well but he had a lot of time back there to let deeper routes open up like his shot downfield to Hastings. Even then, he was a little slow to pull the trigger. He's also still not seeing when receivers are getting open. Sal was open on a couple of plays that could have been bigger gains. We still didn't work the shorter routes like we should be considering our offensive line issues. Mizzou might not be a huge challenge but you can bet State will be in our backfield early and often if we don't make them open up with quick throws.

On 9/17/2017 at 7:14 AM, johnnyAU said:

Iggy looks fast twitch and ready to make an impact to me. It's a shame he isn't getting more touches either at WR or in the return game.

I think he earned more playing time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Linayus said:

I've never been a kicker but for whatever reason Carlson is pulling his kicks to the left on a fairly consistent basis even during warm-ups. Seems like it should be easily correctable though. Not sure if it's just in his head now after missing a few but man is it weird hearing the entire stadium audibly gasp when we miss a FG (even one over 50 which should honestly be amusing considering what some teams would do for a kicker like ours). :)

I was happy to see Stidham throwing the ball well but he had a lot of time back there to let deeper routes open up like his shot downfield to Hastings. Even then, he was a little slow to pull the trigger. He's also still not seeing when receivers are getting open. Sal was open on a couple of plays that could have been bigger gains. We still didn't work the shorter routes like we should be considering our offensive line issues. Mizzou might not be a huge challenge but you can bet State will be in our backfield early and often if we don't make them open up with quick throws.

All of this.