Auburn is a top 10 team rn...

austudnt23

For us to be a top 10 team, we have to get a better push/hole in our run game from the o-line and need to get deep in the pass game.   

Those are two glaring weaknesses imo

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the info you give to us 23. And man i appreciate the positive thinking, but this team is not crisp and clean enough (right now) to go undefeated. The Oline still has pass pro and run block issues. When Mercer brought a fifth guy we didnt have an answer. The only way we shut it down was by going into max pro.  Teams will look at what venebales did schematically and copy it. 

Stidham is still holding the ball too long- i think he'll get better but idk  Our pass plays still seem to take 45 seconds to develop. And i have no idea what our rbs can do behind KP and KJ. 

I think the talent is there, we all do, we love our players, its coaching thats pissing everyone off and its coaching thats holding us back

1 minute ago, austudnt23 said:

we had 5 turnovers

That's the whole problem. Yeah we would have won by 5 TDs if we hadn't turned the ball over 5 times. The fact that this is an issue is concerning. The reality is, we didn't win by 5 TDs precisely because of the turnovers, and we didn't actually beat Clemson so we should stop acting like we did or are anywhere on the same level as them right now. The defense is great. That's half of a football team. The defense was great in 1998 too. Same in 2008. Neither of those teams made bowl games those years. We need the offense to actually step up and do what they're supposed to do and that includes "not turn the ball over 5 times in a game." They are failing in that department right now. Maybe they'll straighten up and play better from here on out but when you look at recent history against P5 teams, I'm sure you can understand why people aren't very encouraged by talk about "talent and potential" when all that talk has yielded nothing meaningful in 3 years on the field. 

On 9/17/2017 at 8:54 AM, austudnt23 said:

I just find it funny people panic because we didn't win by 40 points we had 5 turnovers. Did you see clemson last nite. They r best team in country. We went to their stadium without Kerryon and Kam banged up and should have won game. I am not basing my opinion on my thoughts for season on that but some need to calm down and let the season play out. I saw what I needed to seeee from JS yesterday. He is becoming more comfortable everyday and when he fully hit's his stride it will help our oline out alot. 

The talent is there, but there's no focus or discipline on the offensive side of the ball.  Until those issues are resolved, we won't be winning many SEC games and will struggle to become bowl eligible.  

Also, it wouldn't shock me at all if the defense effort starts to slide if the offense doesn't start fulfilling their end of.the deal.  

5 minutes ago, WDE2829 said:

Top 10 talent?  I think so. The execution just hasn't been there on the field.  I'm not completely done with this team yet, but I inch closer to the edge with every anemic performance out of this offense. 

Anemic performance? We put up over 500 yards and had a QB with a passer rating of 168...

I appreciate the optimism of the OP.  I'm not as optimistic, and I think a 9-3 season would be over-achieving unless the offense does a 180.  But I like optimism.

austdnt23 did not say that Auburn should be ranked in the top ten, he said we are a top ten team--there is a difference. The five turnovers were NOT because of coaching. Our play calling was better and our QB play was WAY better. If we can get better WR play and OL play then who can beat us? We sucked against Clemson and still could easily have won. They might be the best team in the country. I would love to see us put as much effort into being good Auburn fans as we want the players to put effort into being good players and the coaches to put effort into being good coaches.

I think austdnt23 is right. Things will look bright very soon!

I think Stidham improved yesterday.  He started the game only throwing to a WR that was wide open and is probably why he seems to hold the ball too long.  As the game progressed, he started to throw into a tighter window with success.  I know the slant was intercepted, but the ball was there, the receiver was there it's just the DB jumped the route.  The WR should have placed his body where that couldn't have happened, but the WR probably hasn't caught a slant since he played in HS.  He sure hasn't caught one playing for Auburn.

I'm looking forward to seeing more improvement in the Missouri game.

5 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Anemic performance? We put up over 500 yards and had a QB with a passer rating of 168...

Sorry, anemic may have been a poor choice.  Perhaps inept would be the more appropriate adjective.  Given the 5 turnovers, we would lose to any other team in the SEC.  Ball security should not be such a glaring issue right now.  I don't care if Stidham puts up 1000 yards and has a perfect passer rating.  If the receivers are fumbling, those stats are just message board fodder.  At the end of the day, these stats don't mean a damn thing if our team isn't punching the ball across the goal line as often as they should.  Points win games, stats win arguments.  I'd rather win the games and lose the arguments.  What about you?

15 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I just find it funny people panic because we didn't win by 40 points we had 5 turnovers. Did you see clemson last nite. They r best team in country. We went to their stadium without Kerryon and Kam banged up and should have won game. I am not basing my opinion on my thoughts for season on that but some need to calm down and let the season play out. I saw what I needed to seeee from JS yesterday. He is becoming more comfortable everyday and when he fully hit's his stride it will help our oline out alot. 

Agree. Felt like Stid got more comfortable as the game went on. Think he really needed one like this but I wish we would have done it against GA Southern more. Gus has issues but turnovers aren't one of them so I trust he will get that solved.

To the original post, I don't see it. I see an outstanding defense. I love our defense.

But the problems on offense. We don't own the line of scrimmage. So we pass protected against Mercer? Woo hoo. There's no evidence our OL play is ready for the SEC schedule. And our receivers can't get open against Georgia Southern or Mercer?

As for Stidham, no question he can toss the ball. But his big completions involved having enough time for coverage to break down. And I noticed he's still late hitting routes. So again, the pretty passes might not be there when we run into our rivals.

Just now, WDE2829 said:

Sorry, anemic may have been a poor choice.  Perhaps inept would be the more appropriate adjective.  Given the 5 turnovers, we would lose to any other team in the SEC.  Ball security should not be such a glaring issue right now.  I don't care if Stidham puts up 1000 yards and has a perfect passer rating.  If the receivers are fumbling, those stats are just message board fodder.  At the end of the day, these stats don't mean a damn thing if our team isn't punching the ball across the goal line as often as they should.  Points win games, stats win arguments.  I'd rather win the games and lose the arguments.  What about you?

I'm not even sure inept is right, to be honest. 2012 was inept. We were...I dunno, bipolar. And unfortunately, the switches between highs and lows were awfully frequent.

Yesterday wasn't an offense problem, it was an execution problem, and it was happening to lots of individuals on offense. Semantic difference, maybe.

Just now, Auctoritas said:

I'm not even sure inept is right, to be honest. 2012 was inept. We were...I dunno, bipolar. And unfortunately, the switches between highs and lows were awfully frequent.

Yesterday wasn't an offense problem, it was an execution problem, and it was happening to lots of individuals on offense. Semantic difference, maybe.

Which is still on the coaches.  It begins and ends with Gus. 

I remember getting slammed and being told I didn't know what I was talking about last year when Chip was hired because I wanted someone else because it ment Kodi would be retained since Chip had hired Kodi at ASU to coach RBs. 

Kodi is a FCS WR coach, not a FBS WR coach.  I've been saying that since he was hired. It is good to see the masses waking up to this fact other than me getting slammed for questioning his ability at this level.

27 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I am just standing by the same thing I have been saying. We will see who is right. 

I truly appreciate the in or you give us 23. Correct me if I'm wrong, but  I seem to remember you swearing up and down JF3 would start last season and was the absolute best QB on the roster. Maybe ya wear some really orange and blue shades sometimes? 

30 minutes ago, auskull said:

Just too big of a mess to even fix. I have grown so tired of being embarrassed. This is our 5th year and we should be humming and in the mix for SEC championships. The Clemson game should have been just another slug fest between AU and a top ten team. Somehow we are in these games but the outcome is not really in doubt. Got off the Guss bus last year when we looked like a high school team. Really amateurish. I haven't developed confidence in any of our Offense position coaches. Where did they get their experience and who have they studied under.  Some may be okay but compared to Kevin Steele, I just don't trust the judgement of the Head Coach in selecting position coaches. They may be his people but we also need some who have been there and done that. Ability to make adjustments with players on the fly. They look over their heads and lost. We simply don't develop QBs, but must find lightening in a bottle at a JR College. We didn't even realize Pettway was a keeper until he was the only one left standing early last year.  Player evaluation and development seems sub par. Just on and on. Sorry for the rant.

Horton is very much better than OK and to say that negates everything else. We would be worst than lost without Horton.

4 minutes ago, Grumps said:

austdnt23 did not say that Auburn should be ranked in the top ten, he said we are a top ten team--there is a difference. The five turnovers were NOT because of coaching. Our play calling was better and our QB play was WAY better. If we can get better WR play and OL play then who can beat us? We sucked against Clemson and still could easily have won. They might be the best team in the country. I would love to see us put as much effort into being good Auburn fans as we want the players to put effort into being good players and the coaches to put effort into being good coaches.

Top 10 teams don't have 5 turnovers against FCS teams. Just sayin...

1 minute ago, Auctoritas said:

Either way, I think we both agree that our team CAN DO BETTER.  My fear is that we are going to have to endure another frustrating season. 

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes, everyone needs to let the season play out including you . To say we are a top ten right now is very scary thinking and I hope our coaches aren't feeling this way nor the players. I hope they also don't think staying within Clemson is some sort of accomplishment . We got lots of work to do and sugar coating it or exeggarating how bad it really is are extreme in nature.

Our toughest 2 games at home State and UGA. We have lots of work no doubt but who is going to beat us. Nobody is taking us hanging with Clemson as a victory in locker room trust me. 

Talent wise we have a top ten team but unfortunately they are being coached by a 7-5 coach at best.

There is just no sunshine pumping to do after that game yesterday.  Even Mercer's defense had our WR routes figured out.  We need a REAL WR coach.  Love Kodi but he's in over his head.

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I think Stidham improved yesterday.  He started the game only throwing to a WR that was wide open and is probably why he seems to hold the ball too long.  As the game progressed, he started to throw into a tighter window with success.  I know the slant was intercepted, but the ball was there, the receiver was there it's just the DB jumped the route.  The WR should have placed his body where that couldn't have happened, but the WR probably hasn't caught a slant since he played in HS.  He sure hasn't caught one playing for Auburn.

I'm looking forward to seeing more improvement in the Missouri game.

Question as i didn't get to watch the second half

What I saw in the first half was Stidham completely scared to throw the ball unless a receiver was open (which they very rarely will be against any decent defense). 

Did Stidham start throwing receivers open (required to be an even remotely decent SEC qb) or was he just hitting tighter windows on crossing routes where receivers had a step?  I'll take any improvement, but until he starts seeing where receivers are going to come open before they do, our o won't succeed. I hope he starts seeing it

7 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I remember getting slammed and being told I didn't know what I was talking about last year when Chip was hired because I wanted someone else because it ment Kodi would be retained since Chip had hired Kodi at ASU to coach RBs. 

Kodi is a FCS WR coach, not a FBS WR coach.  I've been saying that since he was hired. It is good to see the masses waking up to this fact other than me getting slammed for questioning his ability at this level.

I truly appreciate the in or you give us 23. Correct me if I'm wrong, but  I seem to remember you swearing up and down JF3 would start last season and was the absolute best QB on the roster. Maybe ya wear some really orange and blue shades sometimes? 

Horton is very much better than OK and to say that negates everything else. We would be worst than lost without Horton.

Top 10 teams don't have 5 turnovers against FCS teams. Just sayin...

I said coaches wanted him JF3 to win job. SW had same issues last year just because I didn't call him out on it. SW has had the attitude and substance issues for 2 years.  I mean what does me saying that have to do with this statement.

Look believe me or don't but that is how I see our season going.

3 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Question as i didn't get to watch the second half

What I saw in the first half was Stidham completely scared to throw the ball unless a receiver was open (which they very rarely will be against any decent defense). 

Did Stidham start throwing receivers open (required to be an even remotely decent SEC qb) or was he just hitting tighter windows on crossing routes where receivers had a step?  I'll take any improvement, but until he starts seeing where receivers are going to come open before they do, our o won't succeed. I hope he starts seeing it

I only saw the tighter windows on crossing routes.  I am anxiously awaiting the next step of his evolution.

15 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Did you really just say we could have easily have won against Clemson?  Dude, we had like 9 total yards the entire 2nd half. I swear some of you guys have got to be Gus's kinfolks. Geesh!

I understand the Clemson point but it kind of cancels itself out when you perform like that versus Mercer. I think they just started back playing football 3 years ago(could be wrong),just got back to scholarship players(which are probably all 1star or lower)even with 12 turnovers we should of put up 40 plus. Over 40 rushes for fewer than 150 yards MERCER it’s a little concerning.

7 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Our toughest 2 games at home State and UGA. We have lots of work no doubt but who is going to beat us. Nobody is taking us hanging with Clemson as a victory in locker room trust me. 

Good, they need to take it one game at a time and be ready for Mizzou. Looks like Miss State will be the new hot trending team, so a lot of happenings will occur within the next three weeks.

21 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Ironic, you say this and then go into us turning the ball over 5 times against an FCS opponent. That is not the characteristics of a top ten team. See the difference?

Archived