Upon Further Review - Mercer Game

StatTiger

• Auburn's defense finally surrendered their first 3rd down conversion during the first quarter this season. Mercer managed to convert two third-downs during the opening period.
  • Kamryn Pettway currently averages 3.6 yards per rush on his 56 attempts this season.
  • 47.5 percent of Auburn's offensive snaps netted 5-yards or more, a season high for the Auburn offense.
  • Through 3 games, 54.7 percent of the snaps defended by the Auburn defense has netted 2-yards or less. Last season through 3 games, it was 45.5 percent.
  • Auburn is currently averaging 6.6 yards per play on first down but 47.3 percent of their first down plays have gained 3-yards or less.
  • Last season through 3 games, 44.8 percent of Auburn's impact plays came on the ground. This season it is down to 27.3 percent.
  • Auburn has created a short field only 3 times this season, which is 7 percent of the team's possessions. The lack of forced-turnovers and lack of explosive plays in the return game has hindered the Tigers in this area.
  • Jarrett Stidham was 13 of 16, throwing on first down for 176-yards. Stidham had just 48-yards on first down coming into the Mercer game.
  • Stidham on the season has completed 19 of 25 passes on third down, converting 52 percent for a first down.
  • The tale of the tape for the Auburn Tigers against Mercer was lost opportunities and the failure to finish drives. Auburn had five possessions that netted a total of 237 yards on 37 snaps. The five drives ended in four turnovers and one missed field goal. The current yards to point ratio is 14 to 1, meaning Auburn lost out on 17 points against the Bears.
  • 55.3 percent of Jarrett Stidham's pass attempts this season has been within 5-yards of the line of scrimmage.
  • Looking at the combined 86 carries by Auburn's top-3 running backs, 55.8 percent have been held to 3-yards or less. The offensive line has struggled creating running lanes through three games.
  • Auburn had a passing grade in 33 of 37 statistical categories against Georgia Southern. Against Mercer, it was 26 of 37.
  • Auburn has averaged 4.6 yards per rush during the first half and 3.0 yards during the second half.
  • 155 of the 190 snaps (81.6 percent) defended by the Auburn defense failed to be part of a scoring drive.
  • Auburn's offense has produced only 8 touchdowns on the season and 7 turnovers.
  • Jarrett Stidham's 13 completions on first down was the most during the Malzahn era at Auburn and his 176-yards on first down was the second most.
  • Auburn has averaged only 23.4 PPG during their last eight games.
  • The four fumbles lost against Mercer was the most by an Auburn team since the 2001 Syracuse game.
  • From 2013-2017, wide receivers at Auburn have accounted for 26.9 percent of the team's fumbles. From 2008-2012, it was 11.7 percent.
  • During the last 4 seasons, Auburn has failed to score a TD inside the red zone less than 2/3 of the time in 22 of 42 games. Auburn is 10-12 during those games.
  • Auburn's opponent has been placed into an average distance of 6.9 yards needed to convert third down. The opponent has gained an average of 2.7 yards on third down.
  • Of the 18 times Auburn elected to run on first down against Mercer, 17 involved Kamryn Pettway running the football and 12 times were up the middle. 

War Eagle!

• Thanks 1

• Last season through 3 games, 44.8 percent of Auburn's impact plays came on the ground. This season it is down to 27.3 percent.

Not really a surprise.  As the offensive mindset has become more and more narrow.  The predictability of where Pettway is going is so obvious to the entire stadium, this stat surprises me the most.  I'm amazed it is that high!

Well Stat, maybe they are listening to you on first down passes.   To continue O improvement we need more explosive run plays, Pettway seems not as quick this yr, and some deep balls.  

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic

who is the fastest player on the team?  This should be an easy fix with getting whoever is the fastest player return kicks. If we turn the ball over this many times, we are going to have a hard time with just about all of our SEC games.  I did like the improvement of JS, but he has a long way to go to be able to win in the SEC consistently.  I think he can be a solid QB for us if he keeps on improving and making good decisions on the fly.

9 hours ago, StatTiger said:

• Auburn's offense has produced only 8 touchdowns on the season and 7 turnovers.

Auburn's offense has 8 turnovers. 

3 against Georgia Southern and 5 against Mercer.

1 hour ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Auburn's offense has 8 turnovers. 

3 against Georgia Southern and 5 against Mercer.

The offense has 7 turnovers and special teams has 1.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

The offense has 7 turnovers and special teams has 1.

My bad. Thanks for correcting me.

"Auburn has averaged only 23.4 PPG during their last eight games."

Auburn is currently 74th nationally in PPG, of 130 teams. When you consider we've played GA Southern and Mercer, that's  the definition of "mediocre" -- if not abysmal.

Auburn will not beat MSU, LSU, UGA or UA with mediocre, and OM is a tossup. Must do better than that, even for 8-4.

Edited by AURex

20 hours ago, AUGoo said:
  • Last season through 3 games, 44.8 percent of Auburn's impact plays came on the ground. This season it is down to 27.3 percent.

Not really a surprise.  As the offensive mindset has become more and more narrow.  The predictability of where Pettway is going is so obvious to the entire stadium, this stat surprises me the most.  I'm amazed it is that high!

Seems to me that a successful running game is about execution...not deception.  Our running game is no less predictable than it has been for years.   We always knew where Can or Nick or Tre was going with the ball...but execution and their talent as runners made for success.  

Not so this year...execution by OL and RB is very sub-par...and stats show it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

My bad. Thanks for correcting me.

Some consider ST (returns at least) to be part of the offense so not that big of a mistake. Either way, it's an abysmal start.

Edited by Linayus

7 hours ago, AU64 said:

Seems to me that a successful running game is about execution...not deception.  Our running game is no less predictable than it has been for years.   We always knew where Can or Nick or Tre was going with the ball...but execution and their talent as runners made for success.  

That, with the true read option and a true hurry up pace all contributed to our prior success.

Gone like a fart in the wind. SMH. What happened?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

That, with the true read option and a true hurry up pace all contributed to our prior success.

Gone like a fart in the wind. SMH. What happened?

Guess it could come back with Willis...or Joey...but JS is not a read-option guy and neither was SW. 

Gotta have the right QB for that offense...simple as that I think.

We're on the same page.

Just can't figure the loss of offensive IQ regardless of who the QB was.

He didn't have that read option guy everywhere and adjusted.  Again. What happened?

8 hours ago, AU64 said:

you can be both. should be both.  

On 9/17/2017 at 10:27 AM, StatTiger said:

From 2013-2017, wide receivers at Auburn have accounted for 26.9 percent of the team's fumbles. From 2008-2012, it was 11.7 percent.

This speaks volumes about Kodi Burns ability to demand excellence. One or two fumbles is one thing; but this stat is absurd. Kodi may be a great person and and a great Auburn man but that doesn't translate to a great WR coach; or even a good one. I know his tenure doesn't encompass the entire '08-'12 timeframe but I think we have suffered long enough. He was a nepotism hire with little experience and sadly is now in over his head...IMO. 

Edited by tigereye78