Let's expose the excuses and face reality

oracle79

I think it's kind of crazy that since he has come aboard, we've asked Malzahn to fix the defense. That took some time, but it's been done. Now we have asked him to upgrade the passing attack, and he's in the process of doing that. Neither were/are going to be smooth sailing but we've asked for changes and we are getting them. 

Does he have some flaws? Yes. He's paranoid almost to a fault and it affects how he handles injuries, suspensions, and the media. He also has issues adjusting at halftime. He is stubborn. However he's got some positives as well. He has kept us stable and recruited well. He's created an atmosphere that top players want to come play in. He (knock on wood) seemingly has done this the right way with no violations and we also (knock on wood) don't have to worry about hooker phone calls or motorcycle rides ending in scandal. He also has done a great job with discipline as well. He booted Jovon and Duke even when they certainly could have made our record prettier at the end of the year. 

Do I think it's time for a change? Possibly, but you do have to weigh what you have before do that. There aren't a lot of Sabans, Meyers, Harbaughs who are just going to swoop on down here and make it all better. Anyone we get will either come with inexperience, or baggage, or both. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Every national title team has one or two "IT guys."  Watson for Clemson, Winston for FSU, Ingram/McCarron/Henry for Alabama.  So we can't discount our titles because we had an IT guy. I would also throw in Fairley for us as well, and Dee Ford.  

+1

Have to add Fairley & Ford AND a seasoned/experienced OLINE that helped Cam do what he did.  Cam absolutely does not deserve all the credit for that NC season, there was a team full of seasoned, fundamentally sound and well developed players that played a huge part in that 2010 season.

34 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Every national title team has one or two "IT guys."  Watson for Clemson, Winston for FSU, Ingram/McCarron/Henry for Alabama.  So we can't discount our titles because we had an IT guy. I would also throw in Fairley for us as well, and Dee Ford.  

We don't discount our titles but one thing you have to look at is what us and the rest of those teams have done since losing those IT guys. We lost Cam and nose dived. We lost Mason and Robinson, still had Marshall, and dropped to middle of the conference. All of those other teams are still competing at the top of their conferences. The difference is coaching. 

8 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

Sadly, I think that Gus is either the 3rd or 2nd best coach in the SEC. It's obvious who number one is, and Mullen is either second or third. This season is far from over. We are fortunate to have mediocre teams coming up that could allow us to get in a groove. Be patient.

WHAT?  I respect your opinion but I must disagree.  I would take Vandy's coach in a second over Gus.  Look what he has done with far less talent.  I would put Kirby over Gus.  If you want to talk about just coaches and not records due to the inability to get good players then there are many coaches who coach and develop talent in the SEC who are better than Gus.

1. Saban

2 Mullen 

3. Smart

4   Stoops 

5   Muschamp

6  mason

7   Florida coach 

8   Bielima

9 malzhan

10 ole miss coach

11 Missouri coach

12  oregeron

i base this off of if these guys were coaching at auburn instead of their current school    Would AU be better off.  That's how I would rate them

With GM as our head coach, as long as he uses and we accept his favorite reply to our issues, "We just didn't get it done", there will be no more football championships at AU. Listen for his favorite excuse the rest of our season as these same issues do not improve.

I am extremely pleased with our D coaches, but the O coaches and HC have to go! No more excuses!!

5 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Oh, I agree with that. I am one of Gus' biggest critics, and I can tell you I do not expect him to contend for a natty every year, or to win 10-11 games. What I do expect is a team that looks like they have a clue who is the starting QB should be against a team like Clemson in 2016. I expect a team that can make a damn first down in an entire half of football against the worst GA team in 25 years. I expect a team that doesn't struggle against the likes of GA Southern, and Mercer. I expect a team that can gain more than 17 yards in a half of football against Clemson in 2017. I don't care how many sunshine pumpers call them the greatest defense in the history of football. Colorado State put up almost 400 yards of offense this past week against Alabama, a team they didn't have any business being on the same field with. 

I was at the Colorado State & Bama game this weekend & I can tell you state has some athletes (gf is a nursing student). I was impressed with their QB. I was watching their offense & they ran a lot of intermediate passing routes. That's how they put up close to 400. I'll never understand why our coaches haven't adapted. 

I think we are all forgetting the first part of this thread.  The original fight scene that was to occur.  If I may join, I have my guys ready:

IMG_2172.GIF

16 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

I was at the Colorado State & Bama game this weekend & I can tell you state has some athletes (gf is a nursing student). I was impressed with their QB. I was watching their offense & they ran a lot of intermediate passing routes. That's how they put up close to 400. I'll never understand why our coaches haven't adapted. 

seems Auburn never adjusts or is slow to. Its hard to change in the middle of the game but it just seems our gameplan is 2 or three scripted drives then its whatever afterwards and hope it works.

Also which coaches evaluate tendencies for Auburn and the opponent. When Auburn plays someone there should no surprises.

Had a year to prepare for Clemson again and AU played like they had just got together the week before.

14 hours ago, oracle79 said:

We're young.  We've had injuries. Blah, blah, blah.  Let's take a look year by year at Auburn's recruiting rankings and their final AP rankings. (Using 247 composite starting with the Big Chiz in 2009 because we know TT didn't recruit worth a crap but was never accused of not developing his players.)

2009 - Recruiting #23  Final AP rank #NR

2010 - Recruiting #6     Final AP rank #1 (BCS Champ)

2011 - Recruiting #5      Final AP rank #NR

2012 - Recruiting #11    Final AP rank #NR

2013 - Recruiting #10   Final AP rank #2 (BCS Choke Job)

2014 - Recruiting #6     Final AP rank #22

2015 - Recruiting #8     Final AP rank #NR

2016 - Recruiting #9     Final AP rank #24

2017 - Recruiting #9     Final AP rank #????

We've been in the top 25 EVERY year for the past 8 years and we've been ranked in the top 25 half of those years.

Has any team in the HISTORY of college football done less with more?  Seriously make that case (maybe Texas and maybe Notre Dame?)  What would explain this other than coaching incompetency?  Seriously curious about how you pumpers can spin this one.

Pretty sure someone debunked this way of thinking last year.

Our average recruiting ranking in the SEC alone in the past decade is only like 4th. Bama UGA Florida LSU... one of those we were close to for 4th.

If we were in the sunbelt and getting those recruiting numbers then yes, we should be pissed anytime we don't win the conference. But in the SEC we aren't the big fish in recruiting, hell we're not even the 2nd or 3rd biggest fish in the SEC pond.

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

1. Saban

2 Mullen 

3. Smart

4   Stoops 

5   Muschamp

6  mason

7   Florida coach 

8   Bielima

9 malzhan

10 ole miss coach

11 Missouri coach

12  oregeron

i base this off of if these guys were coaching at auburn instead of their current school    Would AU be better off.  That's how I would rate them

Mostly agree but I'd switch Malzahn and Bielema. The wheels never got on and they are already coming off. 

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

1. Saban

2 Mullen 

3. Smart

4   Stoops 

5   Muschamp

6  mason

7   Florida coach 

8   Bielima

9 malzhan

10 ole miss coach

11 Missouri coach

12  oregeron

You lost all credibility when you put BB over Gus

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

Our average recruiting ranking in the SEC alone in the past decade is only like 4th. Bama UGA Florida LSU... one of those we were close to for 4th.

If we were in the sunbelt and getting those recruiting numbers then yes, we should be pissed anytime we don't win the conference. But in the SEC we aren't the big fish in recruiting, hell we're not even the 2nd or 3rd biggest fish in the SEC pond.

You realize there is not much parity between ranks 2-4 , right ? Definitely not enough to be getting completely dominated by equal competition 

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

WHAT?  I respect your opinion but I must disagree.  I would take Vandy's coach in a second over Gus.  Look what he has done with far less talent.  I would put Kirby over Gus.  If you want to talk about just coaches and not records due to the inability to get good players then there are many coaches who coach and develop talent in the SEC who are better than Gus.

We don't know enough about either to put them above Gus. They may not be doing any better here under the same circumstances. 

7 hours ago, VAtiger12 said:

I think it's kind of crazy that since he has come aboard, we've asked Malzahn to fix the defense. That took some time, but it's been done. Now we have asked him to upgrade the passing attack, and he's in the process of doing that. Neither were/are going to be smooth sailing but we've asked for changes and we are getting them. 

Does he have some flaws? Yes. He's paranoid almost to a fault and it affects how he handles injuries, suspensions, and the media. He also has issues adjusting at halftime. He is stubborn. However he's got some positives as well. He has kept us stable and recruited well. He's created an atmosphere that top players want to come play in. He (knock on wood) seemingly has done this the right way with no violations and we also (knock on wood) don't have to worry about hooker phone calls or motorcycle rides ending in scandal. He also has done a great job with discipline as well. He booted Jovon and Duke even when they certainly could have made our record prettier at the end of the year. 

Do I think it's time for a change? Possibly, but you do have to weigh what you have before do that. There aren't a lot of Sabans, Meyers, Harbaughs who are just going to swoop on down here and make it all better. Anyone we get will either come with inexperience, or baggage, or both. 

If reading correctly, I don't think most here have a problem with Gus as a coach. It is his meddling in play calls and affinity for yes men that seem to be of issue. But then again, perhaps I only speak for myself?

1 hour ago, DAG said:

You lost all credibility when you put BB over Gus

If Bert was coach at AU, do you think AU would be better than now or worse? That was my reason for the ranking.   I believe that that style of offense is what would consistently win games for AU.   It's no doubt in my mind that he is a better coach than GUS.   Gus wouldn't have won squat at Wisconsin 

3 hours ago, Mims44 said:

4th in the SEC puts you top 10 in the country most years. We have not played like a top ten team in a long time. As a counter point Dabo recruits just below our ranking most years, yet Clemson has become a perennial top 10 team. Coaching, Coaching, Coaching.

3 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Bama had too many athletes for them. They are well coached. 

17 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Check your PM and keep talking. I'm done unless you want to take it further in person.

Been all day but I'm still laughing at this 

9 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Been all day but I'm still laughing at this 

One of the funniest post for various reasons. I'll just leave that there. 

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

Now put those teams in the sec west, would they be as successful? They might be, but I would give them all 1-3 losses each year.

As of recent history,  Oklahoma would probably have the most success in the West as far as regular season goes.  They don't handle championship games as well,  but I used to think they would falter in the SECw. Unfortunately they have beaten the SEC in every test as of late, granted only their game against us and a lame duck at QB was against a West team. So what do I know? :laugh:

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

If Bert was coach at AU, do you think AU would be better than now or worse? That was my reason for the ranking.   I believe that that style of offense is what would consistently win games for AU.   It's no doubt in my mind that he is a better coach than GUS.   Gus wouldn't have won squat at Wisconsin 

I can almost guarantee CGM would've ran the board with a transfer QB like Russel freaking Wilson at his disposal. 

That was one year.    And it shows that he can coach a variety of style of players.  People may not like the guy because of the stuff being said by him towards Gus when he got to the SEC, but to deny the man's overall resume compared to malzahn is laughable 

Archived