I got off the Gus Bus after Mercer.

Newbomb

First let me say I bleed orange and blue.  I remember the Barfield years.  I witnessed a team that was just plain going through the motions.  They were uninspired.  I almost got off the Gus bus with the whirly bird and the hydra headed QB at Clemson last year.  Let me restate this before I go on.  Gus as HC at Auburn is 2-2 vs LSU, 1-3 vs Georgia and 1-3 vs Alabama.  We are one miracle play and one last second heads up coaching call from Gus being 2-10 versus our biggest rivals.  The very best I can see us finishing the regular season is 9-3. Winning only one game verses our three biggest rivals. Saying this I will be extremely happy to eat crow if Gus proves me wrong.  I have had enough.  I lived through the time when it was an accomplishment to win enough just to go to a bowl game.  I expect a bit better.

My question to those that are still on the Gus Bus is how many of those 9-3 seasons with two losses versus LSU, Georgia or Alabama are you ready to settle for?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After giving Gus every benefit of the doubt over the past 5 years and now looking at his teams' performances up to this past game with Mercer and our teams' records it is pretty obvious to me that Gus just does not have what it takes to be a power 5 head coach. He would be well suited to be coaching in an FCS conference, or just go back to being an OC. He is the worst in-game adjustment coach I have ever seen; it's plan A or nothing. he should have already had Willis in a couple of these games getting experience and getting him ready. Up until this last game he had not turned the O over to anybody and still had the headsets on this past game seemingly influencing the offense. I feel like his players on offense are quitting on him (evidenced by all the fumbles and lackluster efforts of our offense thus far.) One way or the other unless some unexpected major changes are made on offense before we get to the meat of our schedule, Gus will be saying goodbye by the end of this season.

51 minutes ago, Newbomb said:

First let me say I bleed orange and blue.  I remember the Barfield years.  I witnessed a team that was just plain going through the motions.  They were uninspired.  I almost got off the Gus bus with the whirly bird and the hydra headed QB at Clemson last year.  Let me restate this before I go on.  Gus as HC at Auburn is 2-2 vs LSU, 1-3 vs Georgia and 1-3 vs Alabama.  We are one miracle play and one last second heads up coaching call from Gus being 2-10 versus our biggest rivals.  The very best I can see us finishing the regular season is 9-3. Winning only one game verses our three biggest rivals. Saying this I will be extremely happy to eat crow if Gus proves me wrong.  I have had enough.  I lived through the time when it was an accomplishment to win enough just to go to a bowl game.  I expect a bit better.

My question to those that are still on the Gus Bus is how many of those 9-3 seasons with two losses versus LSU, Georgia or Alabama are you ready to settle for?

You're a little late to the party friend, but welcome to the reality club. We aren't winning 9 games this year. We will lose to our rivals, and all other SEC games are toss ups, including this week against a piriful Missouri team. I'm really hoping that Mississippi State doesn't completely embarrass us. Our defense may be the only thing that prevents that. Gus should have been ran out of town after the Clemson, and Georgia debacles last year. We could barely block GA Southern, and Mercer. I truly don't believe Gus could take our talented roster, and win the Sunbelt conference. 

21 minutes ago, CullmanTiger said:

I believe Gus will be back next year even though I have no idea why

jayjacobs[1].jpg

At the risk of beating a dead horse in YAGBT (Yet Another Gus Bus Thread), I'll ride with Gus as long as Jacobs is AD. I don't want that man making another hiring decision for the position of head football coach at Auburn University or even managing the AD (a multi-million dollar organization).

I have never thought it was all about a certain win total.  Face it, much of your record is dependent on who you are playing and, in my opinion, we play one of the toughest schedules in America year in and year out.  What I expect to see is a well coached and well prepared team.  Looking back, the culture of our defense was terrible 3 years ago.  Our offense went over to Tuscaloosa and set all sorts of records on a Nick Saban defense but our defense was so horrible they couldn't get a single stop and we lost the game.  So Gus brings in Boom the next year and the whole culture of the defense was changed.  Then he brings in Steele when Boom gets the HC job and our defense is now championship level.  At the same time the offense regressed to be the worst we have seen since the Nallsminger fiasco.  This was mostly blamed on Gus meddling in the play calling.  The supposed offensive genius was now an idiot.  The DC's in the SEC had figured him out.  QB development was non-existent.  The 20016 offense was rolling till Sean was hurt but it went totally in the toilet when he went out because the backup plan was a joke.  Great defensive efforts against GA and Bammer were wasted because of the inept offense.  So out goes Lashlee and in comes Lindsey with the new QB recruit who throws the beautiful passes.  But the thing is the culture of the rest of the offense hasn't changed.  The OL is the worst we have seen in years despite having a bunch of guys with a lot of experience and depth most coaches would kill for.   Not only could they not block Clemson they couldn't even push GA Southern and Mercer around.  The WR corps is horrible despite having the top ranked recruiting class two years ago that should be coming into its own right now.   A 165 lb walk on is the best receiver we have.  The coaching for those two groups is unbelievably bad for a supposed top level SEC team.  When most HC's bring in a new OC they allow him to choose the position coaches, but not Gus.  He brought in Lindsey but dictated the position coaches and thereby missed the opportunity to change the culture.  It is very likely going to get him booted at the end of this season unless there are some dramatic changes in attitude in the OL and WR groups.  The OL looks soft and WR group just appears to be lackadaisical in running their routes and catching and hanging on to the ball.  IMHO they need to be back at practice with all positions in those two groups opened back up and going against the #1 defense every day till they find out who wants to play.  Of course, you run the risk of injury when you do that but I would much rather see guys hurt during the week than see lack of effort on Saturday.  As Bear used to say a lesser talented player giving 100% on every play will beat a more talented player giving 80% every time and if someone was going to quit on him he wanted them quitting during the week not quitting on Saturday.  

I still believe Gus can pull this out but he is going to have to get mean to do it.  He and his assistants on offense are going to have to change their attitude if they are going to change the attitude of those two critical position groups.  A real coach would have been all over those guys after what we saw Saturday yet he comes out with the same old tired excuses we have seen the past 4 years.  He needs to take some lessons from Saban.  Go on a rant.  Get in guys faces when they start wallowing around instead of playing like we expect.  Put some of those guys with all the talent who are out there just going through the motions on the bench and bring in some guys who are going to give 100% every play.  That is what I want to see, a fired up and well prepared bunch of guys on offense to match the fired up and well prepared bunch of guys on the defense.  

I'm off as well. If you were to look back at my posts I've always been a supporter of Gus. Looking at things in a positive light is my natural disposition and especially when it comes to rooting for Auburn. Unfortunately I don't see any sign of improvement over the previous few years. Continual top recruiting classes and we have a hard time competing with teams who have half the talent.

We should have the best Oline in the SEC with the talent recruited over the past four years, same goes with running backs and wide receivers. I don't want Petrino at Auburn but I can't help but be impress by what he is doing with two and three star players and the occasional four star. 

Gus had a new and inventive offensive scheme when he first came to Auburn as an offensive coordinator. He has put out the reputation of a guy who spends 23 hrs a day thinking and working on new offensive strategies. Yet, it seems like he picked up a lost playbook from the 70's and that's all the plays he can ever run. It's like he is the living representation of Coach Red Beaulieu from the Water Boy movie. 90% of us fans can tell you what play is coming next.

Opposing coaches don't even need to watch tape! Georgia Southern told the announcers before the game what Auburn was going to do! What kind of coaching is that on Gus's part? I would be so humiliated. Gus's approach worked with Cam and Nick at QB because we had great running games and even though everyone knew what play we were running we could plow over them. It's just a terrible strategy though and everyone else can see it but Gus. I feel like a dope for believe that Chip Lindsey was going to run his offense, maybe Chip does too at this point.  

I'm very open to being proved wrong and who knows maybe Gus will get so scared of being fired that he'll let Chip run the offense...I'd love nothing more than for Gus to turn over a new leaf but this off season would have been the time to do that. I hate to see Gus go because I love having stability at the HC position. He just can't get out of his own way.

P.S. It makes me sad to write this...

24 minutes ago, selias said:

At the risk of beating a dead horse in YAGBT (Yet Another Gus Bus Thread), I'll ride with Gus as long as Jacobs is AD. I don't want that man making another hiring decision for the position of head football coach at Auburn University or even managing the AD (a multi-million dollar organization).

I would agree with this as there are many moving parts to replacing a coach.  We, as fans, can get upset at what we see on Saturdays and see trends that I know the PTB see, but until most of the PTB are willing to act, nothing will happen.  The typical fan does not know what is going on behind the scenes (at least I don't), but there seems to be smoke with JJ and his administration.

We, as fans, are a very reactionary group with little thought or knowledge of the behind the scenes puzzle that is Auburn athletics (see the Sean White arrested thread).  So we sit and wait and see this drama unfold week after week, hoping for the best.  It's frustrating and we do have to vent, not panic, just therapeutic venting.  JMO

Not sure if I'm on or off the bus. However , compared to the likes of arky, tn, fl, a and m,LSU; I'm a bit scared of the devil we don't know when everyone gets their way and sends Gus packing.

Sort of untrue to say the new OC could not hire who he wanted when the wide receiver coach is the one he just hired to coach his wide receivers at ASU dont you think? For all the bashers and please i am not a gus sunshine pumper by any means yall need to get your facts correct or just hush.

59 minutes ago, selias said:

This is exactly how I feel, why pay 25M for a man and his staff to not coach for us anymore, when Jacobs will turn around and make another dud hire, and we have to pay an additional 25M to another set of coaches in 4 years to leave.

3 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

After giving Gus every benefit of the doubt over the past 5 years and now looking at his teams' performances up to this past game with Mercer and our teams' records it is pretty obvious to me that Gus just does not have what it takes to be a power 5 head coach. He would be well suited to be coaching in an FCS conference, or just go back to being an OC. He is the worst in-game adjustment coach I have ever seen; it's plan A or nothing. he should have already had Willis in a couple of these games getting experience and getting him ready. Up until this last game he had not turned the O over to anybody and still had the headsets on this past game seemingly influencing the offense. I feel like his players on offense are quitting on him (evidenced by all the fumbles and lackluster efforts of our offense thus far.) One way or the other unless some unexpected major changes are made on offense before we get to the meat of our schedule, Gus will be saying goodbye by the end of this season.

100% spot on. I agree completely.

3 hours ago, Newbomb said:

As my wife said to me when I woke up on the morning of my 40th birthday, "Welome to the club!"

7 minutes ago, Wrights_Mill_Road said:

off the gus bus since 2nd half of 2015 louisville.

have no idea how anyone could stay on after the 2016 clemson circus.

good news is that i get a lot more things done around the house during the fall these days.

Do not get me wrong.  I am still watching and rooting for a win but one of the definitions of insanity is to do things over and over again the same way and hoping for different results.

9 minutes ago, gctiger said:

As my wife said to me when I woke up on the morning of my 40th birthday, "Welome to the club!"

I have three nickles years on you and I have seen what Auburn Football could be like during the CTT years before he decided to go duck hunting.  I guess I have higher expectations than to every handful of years beating Bama.

I'm at the point where if we don't beat 2 of the big 3 ( LSU, GA &UAT) then I'm getting off the bus. Until then the optimist in me still holds out hope that we are on the cusp. It would be a shame to give up just before the breakthrough  happens. 2010 & 2013 seasons there were a bunch of coache naysayers early in those seasons. Once the online play improves the offense will click. I know that a lot will respond in kind that falls on coaching but my response is... you can lead the sheep to water but you cannot make them drink

Archived