I got off the Gus Bus after Mercer.

Newbomb

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Not sure if I'm on or off the bus. However , compared to the likes of arky, tn, fl, a and m,LSU; I'm a bit scared of the devil we don't know when everyone gets their way and sends Gus packing.

I understand your fear but don't live in fear.  Fear God and nothing else.  Look at it like this.  You are in a car heading towards the cliff ( Auburn under Gus on offense).  You are scared to jump out because you are going fast and may get hurt.  If you stay in the car there is a zero probability rate of surviving.  You don't stay in the car.  You jump out, take whatever injuries may occur and go on living your life.  Getting rid of Gus will possibly cause some painful moments like recruiting and busting up the defensive staff we like so much.  It will hurt short term.  But it won't hurt nearly as bad as keeping Gus around longer than needed.  That is like staying in the car that is going over the cliff.  We need to get the he!! out of the car asap.  It's only getting faster and the injuries will hurt much worse the later you make your decision.

5 hours ago, Newbomb said:

First let me say I bleed orange and blue.  I remember the Barfield years.  I witnessed a team that was just plain going through the motions.  They were uninspired.  I almost got off the Gus bus with the whirly bird and the hydra headed QB at Clemson last year.  Let me restate this before I go on.  Gus as HC at Auburn is 2-2 vs LSU, 1-3 vs Georgia and 1-3 vs Alabama.  We are one miracle play and one last second heads up coaching call from Gus being 2-10 versus our biggest rivals.  The very best I can see us finishing the regular season is 9-3. Winning only one game verses our three biggest rivals. Saying this I will be extremely happy to eat crow if Gus proves me wrong.  I have had enough.  I lived through the time when it was an accomplishment to win enough just to go to a bowl game.  I expect a bit better.

My question to those that are still on the Gus Bus is how many of those 9-3 seasons with two losses versus LSU, Georgia or Alabama are you ready to settle for?

Welcome brother. (In my best Jay Jaccobs voice, brother part) 

5 hours ago, CullmanTiger said:

I believe Gus will be back next year even though I have no idea why

well, we have to wait for all the decent coaches to find a new home before we try our hand at the free market.  atleast thats how it feels when we are in need of a coach to fill the spot. 

Nothing but respect to all of you. I think the Gus Bus exit has warrant merit. My opinion and tell me where I am wrong please!

1.) Jarrett is a new QB. Cam, and Nick were magical, but they also were healthy complements to a simple run and zone read scheme. JS is not them. I remember Chris Todd in 09' lightening up through the air, but he was a Senior. This kid is a Sophomore. WHAT IF, he gets the kinks and bugs sorted out and finishes strong? Would you want Gus gone with returning experienced QB? (Side note: Sean White is sad, but watching him warm up with JS, he was no where near physically able to throw even half as hard as JS.)

2.) Kam and Kerryon are banged up. The battle for the three spot tells me there is inconsistency. WHAT IF Kam and KJ return healthy and crush MSST? Would you want Gus to leave because his injured players didn't add highlight reels against Mercer?

3.) Defense is so good! Given this sounds like a loved one defending a harmful relationship, I have to accept that the concern about Gus' teams in 2013 and 2014 was "where is the defense?" To say that Sacks, and Turnovers are on the head coach for not drilling or preparing players is nullified considering the consistency and limited miscues on defense. Corners aren't getting caught looking, or very many tackles missed. This tells me that Gus has it right on 1/3 of the team.

4.) Daniel Carlson. Leggatron exemplifies to me the players spirit. Unfocused and lazy. This can be fixed in a very short period of time, and I believe that leadership in the Auburn Locker room will get better.

5.) Who would you want to replace him more than see him make improvements? Gary Patterson had seasons of complete rubbish and learned. Who wants a new coach to come in and potentially hurt for a season or two, instead of seeing Gus get the players he needs to run his team. QB, RB, WR, and OL have massive opportunity. Would Jim Tressell fix this team in one season? 

My thoughts are that Gus has approx. 45% chance of returning to his HC post, but I hope he does because he fixed the issues. We won the game against Mercer, that is what matters. If it was 42-0, but JS threw more picks, and they only scored on special teams, this same conversation would be going on because you like me want excellence. I just hope we are supporting these players and students!    

5 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I was off after last year's clemson game and never thought about getting back on.

Ditto

8 hours ago, LakeBum said:

Bye!

I hope the ones jumping off stay off. We have a good team and the season is not over!

36 minutes ago, WDG said:

I hope the ones jumping off stay off. We have a good team and the season is not over!

We have good players that is not my argument, nor would I ever root against Auburn.  I hope Gus turns this around, I just don't think he is capable of doing so.

44 minutes ago, WDG said:

I might have jumped off the Gus bus, but I haven't jumped off the Auburn bus, and nor will I ever.  If Gus can get this bus turned around (he hasn't in the last three seasons with top 10 recruits), then more power to him.  His success is Auburn's success.  However, if he continues to not steer this bus in the right direction, Auburn needs to do what is in the best interest of the program and find another bus driver.

8 hours ago, auol72 said:

Sort of untrue to say the new OC could not hire who he wanted when the wide receiver coach is the one he just hired to coach his wide receivers at ASU dont you think? For all the bashers and please i am not a gus sunshine pumper by any means yall need to get your facts correct or just hush.

Hello pot. Have you met my friend the kettle? 

If you want to call someone out for not having their facts straight, please have your facts straight when you do so, or you just look foolish and everything else you said is negated.

Kodi was NOT hired at ASU to coach WRs. He was hired at ASU as a RB coach. 

Seriously, maybe make sure you have your own facts straight before you want to call out someone for theirs. 

55 minutes ago, WDG said:

AU always & forever -- never going to say otherwise.  But that doesn't mean I have to be for a coach that can't seem to figure out what to do when finding his team 1st & goal to go from the 4-yd line in the 1Q and has to call a TO.  This is his 5th year as HC, right?  smdh

6 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

AU always & forever -- never going to say otherwise.  But that doesn't mean I have to be for a coach that can't seem to figure out what to do when finding his team 1st & goal to go from the 4-yd line in the 1Q and has to call a TO.  This is his 5th year as HC, right?  smdh

all of the things like this add up over time, and will continue with Mr. Wizard at the helm.   Eventually, even those with their index fingers stuck in their ears, with their eyes closed tightly singing "lalalalalalalalalalalalalal" with have to come to terms with the situation.   Mr. Wizard is clueless

I kinda gave Gus a pass on last year. Last year's Clemson game was embarrassing for sure. But late in the season, with White and Pettway hurt, those were too much to overcome. I was encouraged with Lindsey's hiring.

Right now, something just seems wrong with the team. We've had disciplinary issues. We had players leave over the summer, whom we really didn't want to lose. And while the defense is close to spectacular, the OL and WR play raise big concerns. The overuse of Pettway when he's hurt and to predictable playcalling bother me a lot. (I do see more first down passes.) But I'm more concerned with the locker room.

Gus has had long enough to build all this talent. I grudgingly accept that Bama is just in a superior place. But consistent losing to Georgia and the 8-win ceiling since 2013 are just too much.

I stayed on last year but after Clemson this year, I jumped off and am never looking back! I think Auburn Nation is at a crossroads. Either the fans who demand excellence and want a nationally competitive team win out or the sunshine pumpers do and we become a fan base much like pre championship Cubs or Red Sox and we all go and support our 'lovable' Auburn Tigers in spite of their mediocrity 

Our offense has sputtered, but our defense has rocked everyone we played.  Our  fan base is lamenting the Mercer game, but we actually went up in the USA Today Coach's Poll. (I guess coaches think turnovers are a correctable problem.)   By the way, our quarterback almost equaled our passing efficiency record in the Mercer game, mostly because our "horrible" offensive line game him all day to throw.  I'm sure we focused almost exclusively on pass blocking after Clemson, and now we need to get our run blocking where it needs to be.  We have no SEC losses and can still win the championship.  Life's good.

4 minutes ago, im4au said:

Our offense has sputtered, but our defense has rocked everyone we played.  Our  fan base is lamenting the Mercer game, but we actually went up in the USA Today Coach's Poll. (I guess coaches think turnovers are a correctable problem.)   By the way, our quarterback almost equaled our passing efficiency record in the Mercer game, mostly because our "horrible" offensive line game him all day to throw.  I'm sure we focused almost exclusively on pass blocking after Clemson, and now we need to get our run blocking where it needs to be.  We have no SEC losses and can still win the championship.  Life's good.

it was MERCER!            MERCER          M  E  R  C  E  R

The local glee club could block mercer

Can't understand ....all these folks got off the bus a number of stops ago....but seems every time I  check the site.....there they are..   JMO but getting off the bus means you go on about your business and don't worry where the bus is headed or who is still riding on it....instead seems you would just get on another bus to somewhere else and not worry.... :dunno:

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Can't understand ....all these folks got off the bus a number of stops ago....but seems every time I  check the site.....there they are..   JMO but getting off the bus means you go on about your business and don't worry where the bus is headed or who is still riding on it....instead seems you would just get on another bus to somewhere else and not worry.... :dunno:

Or maybe a big, ugly elephant!   Most are running along beside it, ready to jump back on 'just in case' they were wrong.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Being off the bus does not mean you cease being an Auburn fan. I await the day that Jacobs and Malzahn are shown the door but that doesn't mean I stopped being an Auburn fan.

19 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

it was MERCER!            MERCER          M  E  R  C  E  R

The local glee club could block mercer

Yes it was Mercer and take a look at the stats below.  Add an interception to the fumbles and that's the reason you didn't get the score you were looking for.  I'm saying we have things to fix, but the rumors of our death are greatly exaggerated.  (tip of the cap to Mark Twain)

Total Offense Yards 246 510
Fumbles: Number-Lost 0 - 0 5 - 4

2 minutes ago, selias said:

Being off the bus does not mean you cease being an Auburn fan. I await the day that Jacobs and Malzahn are shown the door but that doesn't mean I stopped being an Auburn fan.

That's good....but sounding like you are hoping for the worst to prevail ......so you can be right. about Gus ?....and then find the next coach that AU can fire some years afterward because he doesn't satisfy.   Sorry....but that's how it sounds to me.  

AU has fired 8 of it's last 9 coaches going back to my youth...that's not an enviable record.....but probably not unusual these days either.  Everyone in search of the Holy Grail.....and not finding it...or if they stumble upon it, they are not able to hold on to it long enough to satisfy the fan bases. .

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

That's good....but sounding like you are hoping for the worst to prevail ......so you can be right. about Gus ?....and then find the next coach that AU can fire some years afterward because he doesn't satisfy.   Sorry....but that's how it sounds to me.  

AU has fired 8 of it's last 9 coaches going back to my youth...that's not an enviable record.....but probably not unusual these days either.  Everyone in search of the Holy Grail.....and not finding it...or if they stumble upon it, they are not able to hold on to it long enough to satisfy the fan bases. .

Hoping for the worst? Not at all. However, there's nothing in CGM's tenure as Auburn's head coach that suggests to me he is capable of consistent on-field success.

Archived