Bashing Gus

AU64

29 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

You think those are designed plays? "Ridley you go long. Hurts you throw it to Ridley or run if he is not open". Hurts is running instead of looking to his second or third option. I read today that Ridley has been targeted 33 times this year and the next most targeted guy is 6. 

They have been running a lot of pistol and shotgun for a while now. If they ran 2 tight ends it is because OJ Howard was split in the slot. 

Everbody offense changes to their talent. Ours have. We quit running run option after Nick Marshall left but we were a very good running team. Our offense looks nothing like 2013/2014 so Gus has changed doesn't mean it's always good. 

Yes I do think they are designed. Jalen Hurts not only leads the team in rushing yards, he leads the team in rushing attempts. If you think their offense is the same offense that they ran with McElroy you are not paying attention man. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, WeagleAU said:

I think people vent their frustration with Gus and for some it just turns into a “bashing Gus” session, which is unnecessary and unhelpful.  I for one am frustrated with what I’m seeing on the field offensively, and naturally the HC gets most of the blame.  Im not an insider and I don’t know what’s going on on the plains.  But this program has the most extreme ups and downs, no consistency or stability whatsoever.  Yet they continue to pour millions of dollars to upgrade the stadium and football facilities.  That’s all great, but look at the product on the field.  What is going on at auburn that keeps them from consistently being competitive in their division?  They have one good season here or there and the majority of their seasons are mediocre/average. Just disappointed.

I have been saying the same thing and wonder if our football fortunes will ever get over the hump of inconsistency.

12 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

I can't understand why the Gus lovers think that those who are upset are only upset with how this season has started. 

NOBODY is in love with Gus. Some of us are able to distinguish poor play from poor coaching.

5 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Yes I do think they are designed. Jalen Hurts not only leads the team in rushing yards, he leads the team in rushing attempts. If you think their offense is the same offense that they ran with McElroy you are not paying attention man. 

Sandlot football ?

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

NOBODY is in love with Gus. Some of us are able to distinguish poor play from poor coaching.

In my experience poor play is a result of poor coaching...tell me how many times you have seen bama play "poorly" under saban?? Not many. Because his teams are prepared week in and week out.  Our teams look like they missed an entire fall camp. 

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Poor play IS FROM POOR COACHING.

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

That's because you, me, 64 and some others aren't from the "instant gratification, I'm entitled" generations.

What defines instant gratification?

We're in Season 5 of Gus' tenure. He is 37-19, with 12 of those wins coming in 2013 (8.5 avg wins/season). We're 1-3 in bowl games during that time period. 4 games above .500 in conference play (18-14). Since 2013, we are 4-8 against our 3 rivals. The offense, his supposed schtick, is languishing. We're going into our 2nd season of red zone problems. So on and so forth...

On 9/18/2017 at 9:27 AM, AU64 said:

Maybe the question of the day.

How many different threads that end up as "bashing Gus"  will the mods allow on this site? 

1, 2...or maybe 5?  ....more still?  

In. He's done such a great job the last three years we should be praising him. Nothing is his fault or doing. Just the most unlucky coach in the history of history. He will get this thing figured out in a couple of years. Just needs more time. 

People like to point out that Saban's primary advantage over other teams isn't his on the field coaching, but more talent to work with. I agree. But he also typically has fundamentally sound teams that don't make a lot of mistakes and he tends to get the most from his best talent. Malzahn is the opposite. We typically look lost until nearly midway through the season, make consistent fundamental mistakes in the same places, we've had a carousel of coordinators in five years and pretty absurd attrition. This program in year five looks like a program still in year one and with as much talent and experience as we've had in many years. I think the bashing is more than warranted.

30 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

In. He's done such a great job the last three years we should be praising him. Nothing is his fault or doing. Just the most unlucky coach in the history of history. He will get this thing figured out in a couple of years. Just needs more time. 

Well, this is not good.  If Gus is the most unlucky coach in history and Gus is relying on luck in managing his personnel (KP and JS staying healthy) we are doomed.

15 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Well, this is not good.  If Gus is the most unlucky coach in history and Gus is relying on luck in managing his personnel (KP and JS staying healthy) we are doomed.

Well people are saying that its been injuries the last 3 years that have made the impact on Gussy's O and its not his fault. That is some damn bad luck. We should feel sorry for Gus and not bash him. Poor thing. 

18 hours ago, alexava said:

My question is how many crybaby fans can one program possibly have. How ridiculous do you think you sound bashing a coach and wanting him fired after two games of a season with 10 to go? If he goes " Chizik 2012" it will happen the morning after the iron bowl. But he might go 2013 all over again. Drink a beer or twelve, hope for the best and live with what happens. But for gods sake quit whining. It's more embarrassing to me than the offense vs Clemson. 

You do have some great ideas Alex...............can you coach offense?

Honest question here. What would you have to see specifically for Gus to get out of your Dog house. This question is not directed at anyone in particular just curious if there is anything that could change peoples minds. For me since I think our Def. is outstanding it would be consistence on Off. and opening it up more. Actually what I saw last week if you could take away the turnovers was a good start for me. I knew things were changing when I saw that Gus didn't have the play card in his hand. If we come out these next two weeks and do well on Off. and mix in pass and runs well I would think most people would start to come around. But I am sure it's to late for some folks on here.

10 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Honest question here. What would you have to see specifically for Gus to get out of your Dog house. This question is not directed at anyone in particular just curious if there is anything that could change peoples minds. For me since I think our Def. is outstanding it would be consistence on Off. and opening it up more. Actually what I saw last week if you could take away the turnovers was a good start for me. I knew things were changing when I saw that Gus didn't have the play card in his hand. If we come out these next two weeks and do well on Off. and mix in pass and runs well I would think most people would start to come around. But I am sure it's to late for some folks on here.

Was he chewing bubble gum last week? At the game and could not tell.....always wanted him to slow down on the gum thing.

14 minutes ago, bg5 said:

This is a good question. I think first we will need to be successful on O to match our awesome D. Gus gets credit for the defense. He has made good hires (I'll admit I was wrong as hell about Steele) and has overseen a complete 180 on the defensive side of the ball. However, our O has unfortunately also done a complete 180 and that was with him in control. Whether it's his inability to update his O, inability to dedicate enough time to fully call an offense on gameday due to his plate being full as a HC, or inability to assess his personnel, he has really dropped the ball here. Now, as a HC he has an opportunity to still get a ton of credit if the O turns it around. IMO he can achieve this by letting someone who has the time to assess the entire offense, assess the defense's weaknesses and tendencies, and time to put together a game plan actually operate the offense. 

And really, if we turn the offense around with Gus calling the shots, that would be great too. But I am of the opinion he no longer has the ability to do that for the reasons I previously listed. I also think he has some areas like roster management, talent evaluation, time management that have not improved one bit since he's been hired so the lack of growth in these areas is just as alarming as the offensive struggles.

TLDR:  I would need to see tangible improvement on the offensive side of the ball and some improvement in his managerial aspects of the game.

42 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Part of it would take me seeing a team that looks disciplined and organized and fundamentally sound. It would take a team showing they have found an identity and build off that identity. It would take a completely re-vamped offense that caters to our strengths (whatever those are) and works to mask the weaknesses. It would take giving the QB the ability to make simple checks at the LOS to adjust things when he sees trouble (which we may not be able to do due to Stidham's comfort level with and understanding of the offense). It would take me seeing him go into hostile road environments and winning while looking like we have the potential to be among the best in college football. It would take us being consistent and balanced on offense and aggressive in the play calling. 

Part of it is I'm not sure what Gus wants his system to be, and in his uncertainty, it has failed him on the recruiting trail.We don't recruit key positions like QB, OT, or RB well at the HS level. And because he's seemingly unsure on his offense, he can build no continuity in recruiting classes or with players to establish any sort of carryover from season to season. We've seemingly run a different offense every year of his HC tenure at Auburn. And the Lindsey hire is now starting to feel a bit like the Tony Franklin hire, although not nearly to that level of dysfunction yet.

But ultimately for me, it's really hard to see a path for Gus to both get this team back on track and prove his worth to this program, largely because I think he doesn't seem trustworthy anymore. As a fan, I want to believe in the HC when he says he has a plan to fix things or he won't get involved with play calling or he's bringing in a new OC to run the offense. I just don't believe him anymore, and that is something I don't think he will ever get back.

2 hours ago, aucom96 said:

People like to point out that Saban's primary advantage over other teams isn't his on the field coaching, but more talent to work with. I agree. But he also typically has fundamentally sound teams that don't make a lot of mistakes and he tends to get the most from his best talent. Malzahn is the opposite. We typically look lost until nearly midway through the season, make consistent fundamental mistakes in the same places, we've had a carousel of coordinators in five years and pretty absurd attrition. This program in year five looks like a program still in year one and with as much talent and experience as we've had in many years. I think the bashing is more than warranted.

this, don't ever seem to use all the weapons at our disposal, supposedly great players don't play because they aren't ready (why not).

Execution, timing, clock management are all issues after 4 weeks. Fall camp must be brutally boring and chaotic.

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

You do have some great ideas Alex...............can you coach offense?

I can't organize any offense or motivate players. But I could call plays already installed based on defensive looks and tendencies and based on player strengths. IOW I am great on Madden ps4. I must have beer tho. 

2 hours ago, bg5 said:

Great question.  Gus needs to show us many things on the offensive side of the ball as well as special teams and putting playmakers in position to succeed.  I will try to condense it from my standpoint.

Gus needs to show the ability to come up with an actual game plan that utilizes our strengths against the particular team we are playing every week.  Up to this point he has not done that.  What we have seen up to this point is Gus just running the exact same things over and over again regardless of who we are playing.  To him, he has some plays and he runs them.

Gus needs to show the ability to make offensive adjustments to his game plan, that he does not have, as well as personnel to adjust if needed during the game.  This ability would be awesome during the game but hell at this point we will take it at halftime if needed.  Stop running Pettway into the ground because you don't know of anything else to do.  Gus has players at his disposal.  He just REFUSES to use them.

Gus needs to get over his fear of youth and put his play makers in a position to succeed.  We have too many guys who offer way too much to never see the field.  Nowhere is this more prevelant than on Special Teams.  I'm literally shocked he does not have Pettway returning kicks and punts at this point.  Put your burners back there in practice every day and find the guy that can catch the ball and use his speed to run north and south while making people miss.  I have nothing against KJ and I have heard all of the arguments on his 20 something yard average but please tell me the last time we housed a punt or kickoff for 6 points against a good team.  Isn't that what killed us against FSU in the Natty or am I getting old.

Gus needs to quit acting like a turd in front of the media.  When he feels the pressure, like the last three weeks, he answers more questions about things without being so standoffish.  When he does not feel the pressure he acts like a jerk.  If you are winning and kicking teams teeth in, then yeah act how you want to.

My biggest complaint.  Flex posted some very good information here after one of our games.  It had really good insight as far as X's and O's of what we are doing wrong.  This is the part that really gets me with Gus......I don't think he understands these simple concepts.  Let me reword that. he does not understand why what he is doing is not working.  That is the killer.  Where in the hell are our TE's?  Why is McClain who runs like a friggin gazelle not lined up in that spot making LBs and Safeties cringe?  For all of the stuff Gus has done in the past trying to stretch the defense out wide with that horrible WR Screen why in the world does he refuse to attack the guys on defense that are blitzing every play killing us???????????  It is mind numbing to watch.  And he makes 4 bills as our HC and offensive guru.  If our O-line has issues then why in the world are these issues never worked out before the season?  It's the same every year with this guy.

Fix these and I will be on board.  My fear is that he does not know how to fix the real issues of why it isn't working.  If we can't run then his solution will be to pass more ect. instead of being able to diagnose why the running game is not successful.  My reason for this thinking is that there is no way Al Borges and Chip Lindsey don't already see these problems and he refuses to change.  Maybe just maybe he will let others have some input for the remainder of the season.

My question to the Gus lovers in return is as follows

If we hired Gus mainly because of his ability, that he had shown, to compete with anyone as a great offensive mind, then why would anyone want to keep him in year five of this disaster?

In the past the first 2-3 drives were scripted and usually were somewhat successful. After the defense made adjustments it became try this, no try this, try this gimmick play, go back to what we do a lot.

I would just want to see a competent offense. One where oline blocks, qb makes good reads, players make few mental mistakes (fumbles, flags, etc).

I think everyone here believes this team is as talented as any other in the country. So we're awful frustrated that in YEAR 5 our team cant run a base set of plays- not just zone read- im talkin about base football plays. Double slants, jet sweep, counter, all curls. You can be effective- ie run clock and flip the field on ab ten plays. Plays that kids shouldve been running since they were in middle school. Somone started a thread called culture of excellence- thats what people want to see.

I know when i watch a game whether our team is getting beat or we're beating ourselves. We havent beat the other team ONCE this year. And honestly we only beat a few teams last year. We've won games this year but we havent beaten anybody. 

Archived