Bashing Gus

AU64

31 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I do not see anyone being a proponent or satisfied with a consistent 4 or 5 loss team every year. I do see some of us not agreeing with "chicken little the sky is falling" so soon assessment of this season. You believe it is falling. It is apparent by your comparison of our current situation to the "Barfield years", you were obviously not around then or have a horrible memory due to aging or whatever. 

To many post about Bammer in this thread also, and you are responsible for a few. Some of us quit worrying about Tuscaloosa after the "Barfield years". Quite confident that Auburn will take care of that situation.  

ok

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, keesler said:

I addressed it in another thread a few minutes ago, but there seems to be a notion permeating through the board to not make a coaching change, stick with what we have until Saban retires.

My retaliation for that notion is what makes folks think our coach/coaches will miraculously be able to do their job just because NS is gone?  What has Nick Saban done to prevent Gus from putting an effective offense on the field, or stopped Herb Hand from coaching an SEC level oline?  

Will Saban's retirement allow Auburn to shine and jump up to the kings throne in this conference?  Will his removal allow us to kick UGA 's butt, or somehow win more bowl games?

Exactly. Plus it reeks of little brother syndrome.  We just aren't good enough to go head to head with Saban so why try?  That mentality drives me crazy.  Maybe we can't compete year in year out but at least give me the coach who will pull out all the stops and do all it takes and stand eye to eye with Saban and not be scared to try.  What happened to "I believe in work, HARD work"? 

4 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Exactly. Plus it reeks of little brother syndrome.  We just aren't good enough to go head to head with Saban so why try?  That mentality drives me crazy.  Maybe we can't compete year in year out but at least give me the coach who will pull out all the stops and do all it takes and stand eye to eye with Saban and not be scared to try.  What happened to "I believe in work, HARD work"? 

Quite frankly, I am not even worried about NS at the moment. We need to be able to stand toe to toe with freaking UGA, LSU, Clemson. Alabama is on an unprecedented run so whatever, but we should be able to compete competently against the other three. Not to mention MSU.  Gus is 2-2 against them as an HC.  2-2 against Kevin Sumlin and the Aggies.

Just now, DAG said:

Quite frankly, I am not even worried about NS at the moment. We need to be able to stand toe to toe with freaking UGA, LSU, Clemson. Alabama is on an unprecedented run so whatever, but we should be able to compete competently against the other three. Not to mention MSU.  Gus is 2-2 against them as an HC. 

Well said.  I have made it plain to all of my AU friends that I am more than happy to give Gus a pass on losing to bammer as long as we stay competitive but its the other losses that haunt me.  The SEC has not been the gauntlet recently that everyone wants to make it out to be.  The SEC East is horrid and except for the brief Ole Miss revival has the West really been that good?  Arky and A&M are perennial underachievers (put AU in there too), MSU is MSU and LSU hasn't been themselves in a while.  I still want the coach that wants to figure out a way to take down bammer but at least show me you can handle the teams we should be beating every single year. 

If you have a team that is beating all the other teams in the SEC, that team will compete against bama.    Bama is not unbeatable, you just have to compete against them.    I think all everyone wants is a reason to believe that AU can win and currently there isn't a reason to believe that it can happen 

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

I do not see anyone being a proponent or satisfied with a consistent 4 or 5 loss team every year. I do see some of us not agreeing with "chicken little the sky is falling" so soon assessment of this season. You believe it is falling. It is apparent by your comparison of our current situation to the "Barfield years", you were obviously not around then or have a horrible memory due to aging or whatever. 

To many post about Bammer in this thread also, and you are responsible for a few. Some of us quit worrying about Tuscaloosa after the "Barfield years". Quite confident that Auburn will take care of that situation.  

Just FYI there Salty if you find it in another thread I actually think we are going to improve this year to the point that we could run the table right up to Amen Corner.  Yes, thats right Im optimistic.  I wouldn't even be shocked if ol Gussy boy finds a way to beat UGA and win 10 games.  What I am upset about is why people are defending what he has done up to this point and why we should be expecting anything more after a 4 plus year sample size and if we are ever going to look like a decent football team at the start of a season.  I have lost faith in Gus being the guy who will sustain long term success at Auburn and I hope he proves me wrong I truly truly do.  I have said I will eat all the crow you guys can feed me if he does.  I have also not once advocated for firing him now.  I have said repeatedly the season should play out and lets see where we are.  

I don't think 4 losses should ever be acceptable here. That should be our floor, in a vacuum. Especially in a post-2010 world. More than one 4 loss season should be a fireable offense here. That means you are basically not beating any of the teams you have or should have have equal talent as. That's just a poor job coaching.

We are a program that has proven you can win national titles here in the modern era. IMO our floor has raised, and should be raised, because of this. Is there another team that's perennially in the top 10 in recruiting rankings that shart out 4 and 5 loss seasons back-to-back-to-back? Is Gus doing less with more? Or is he winning 8 games in spite of sub-par QB play?

11 hours ago, selias said:

Actually, it is year 5

2013 - Year 1

2014 - Year 2

2015 - Year 3

2016 - Year 4

2017 - Year 5

The statement was :"Year five of this disaster. "  Unless you consider '13 and '14 disaster years, this isn't year five of a disaster.

Just now, Mikey said:

The statement was :"Year five of this disaster. "  Unless you consider '13 and '14 disaster years, this isn't year five of a disaster.

By that criteria, I would agree. This is not year five of a disaster but the downward trend is...concerning.

On 9/20/2017 at 3:07 PM, bigbird said:

37. So when we hit that number, please start another thread to let us know its time. Thanks for the cooperation.

"37 is the age of adulthood in most modern and even primitive cultures."  -- Anthopologist Darrell Whiteman, retired professor in Missions Graduate School, Asbury Theological Seminary and former Vice President for Missions Mobilization and Resident Missiologist of The Mission Society. .  

I was 37 at the time I heard it. :jossun: Sitting in a sea of 20-somethings that thought they had arrived (no disrespect to any 20-somethings reading.  That was then.).

Still not sure how to interpret it...something about that age having lived through some typical maturing events...loss of a parent, raising teens, asking deeper life questions, etc. Having worked in Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands, he noticed the same transition in the primitive cultures.

According to his theory, it may explain a lot...or then again, not.  Every time I hear "37", though, it brings it to mind.  That class was amazing!!!

Happy GameDay everyone!  At least for today, I'm trying to stay focused on JUST the game...which does, admittedly, get harder and harder to do.

:wareagle:

5 hours ago, CountStandya said:

ONE...haha Two....haha...TREE...hahah  FOUR...haha...FIVE hahaha.....Six haha....SEHWEN...hahaha... EIGHT.....eight Gus Malwhan....hate post....hahahahaha Thunder lighting.

What? Sounds like Auburn Dungeon Master has an alter.

I have a cycle of being vocally mad at gus on saturdays and luke-warming or trying to be diplomatic toward end of the week, to get in the mindset of being optimistic about Auburn again. But truth is, Im sick of it. It's week 4 and he has us looking like garbage. Taking a world class defense and losing, or squeeking by need-to-wins by sheer bumbling incompetency. It's a joke. Sick of it. Listen to us..."I hope we improve this week at Mizzou!". Bunch of bullcrap. He's not our guy. I hope we can all still be friends. WDE

On 9/21/2017 at 1:10 PM, NorthGATiger said:

Great question.  Gus needs to show us many things on the offensive side of the ball as well as special teams and putting playmakers in position to succeed.  I will try to condense it from my standpoint.

Gus needs to show the ability to come up with an actual game plan that utilizes our strengths against the particular team we are playing every week.  Up to this point he has not done that.  What we have seen up to this point is Gus just running the exact same things over and over again regardless of who we are playing.  To him, he has some plays and he runs them.

Gus needs to show the ability to make offensive adjustments to his game plan, that he does not have, as well as personnel to adjust if needed during the game.  This ability would be awesome during the game but hell at this point we will take it at halftime if needed.  Stop running Pettway into the ground because you don't know of anything else to do.  Gus has players at his disposal.  He just REFUSES to use them.

Gus needs to get over his fear of youth and put his play makers in a position to succeed.  We have too many guys who offer way too much to never see the field.  Nowhere is this more prevelant than on Special Teams.  I'm literally shocked he does not have Pettway returning kicks and punts at this point.  Put your burners back there in practice every day and find the guy that can catch the ball and use his speed to run north and south while making people miss.  I have nothing against KJ and I have heard all of the arguments on his 20 something yard average but please tell me the last time we housed a punt or kickoff for 6 points against a good team.  Isn't that what killed us against FSU in the Natty or am I getting old.

Gus needs to quit acting like a turd in front of the media.  When he feels the pressure, like the last three weeks, he answers more questions about things without being so standoffish.  When he does not feel the pressure he acts like a jerk.  If you are winning and kicking teams teeth in, then yeah act how you want to.

My biggest complaint.  Flex posted some very good information here after one of our games.  It had really good insight as far as X's and O's of what we are doing wrong.  This is the part that really gets me with Gus......I don't think he understands these simple concepts.  Let me reword that. he does not understand why what he is doing is not working.  That is the killer.  Where in the hell are our TE's?  Why is McClain who runs like a friggin gazelle not lined up in that spot making LBs and Safeties cringe?  For all of the stuff Gus has done in the past trying to stretch the defense out wide with that horrible WR Screen why in the world does he refuse to attack the guys on defense that are blitzing every play killing us???????????  It is mind numbing to watch.  And he makes 4 bills as our HC and offensive guru.  If our O-line has issues then why in the world are these issues never worked out before the season?  It's the same every year with this guy.

Fix these and I will be on board.  My fear is that he does not know how to fix the real issues of why it isn't working.  If we can't run then his solution will be to pass more ect. instead of being able to diagnose why the running game is not successful.  My reason for this thinking is that there is no way Al Borges and Chip Lindsey don't already see these problems and he refuses to change.  Maybe just maybe he will let others have some input for the remainder of the season.

My question to the Gus lovers in return is as follows

If we hired Gus mainly because of his ability, that he had shown, to compete with anyone as a great offensive mind, then why would anyone want to keep him in year five of this disaster?

I have to give kudos to Gus' post game presser.  I thought he was much more amicable and less terse than he has been known for.  This is what, in my opinion, will help win back some people as long as we keep seeing improvement.   

8 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

I have to give kudos to Gus' post game presser.  I thought he was much more amicable and less terse than he has been known for.  This is what, in my opinion, will help win back some people as long as we keep seeing improvement.   

No, winning big games against rivals and top 25 opponents will help win back some fans, not slapping the mud sticks out of a wounded animal that doesn't play well on either side of the ball. Frankly, I don't give pay an ounce of attention to his press conferences because they're predictable, repetitive and not in the least bit productive. I can already predict his responses if Auburn somehow loses to LSU in a few weeks..... " We're a good football team." "We have a bunch of hard workers and we are going to improve as a football team, I can promise you that." "We have to do a better job as a coaching staff to prepare our football team and put our players in situations where they can succeed each week, and we will." "I'm proud of this football team."

The SEC as a whole is awful this year. There's zero excuses for losing to teams like Miss St., LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas and A&M. Anything less than 9-3 or 10-2 would be a massive disappointment.

59 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

The SEC as a whole is awful this year. There's zero excuses for losing to teams like Miss St., LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas and A&M. Anything less than 9-3 or 10-2 would be a massive disappointment.

You have a most appropriate avatar.

10 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

He acted like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders when he handed play calling over to Rhett last year. Maybe it will stick this time.

Archived