Mercer Assessment from the Stadium

abw0004

Good morning/afternoon all,

I was going to write this post yesterday, however, I was instead writing my will as I felt like I was dying from food poisoning from one of my favorite restaurants in Auburn.  :cry3:I was at the game on Saturday to its entirety and thought I could provide some insight that was not shown on TV.  I will apologize it I repeat anything that has been said already, I just was not able to even look at my phone yesterday.

Darius James:  Can I first state that I am really glad that young man is okay.  For about 30 minutes everyone was just silent.  I could not even figure out who it was.  When I saw the stretcher and the neck brace, all I could think about was Kris Frost in 2014, and Zac Etheridge in 2009.  MAJOR KUDOS to Mercer.  Every single player of their got down on one knee, and about 90% of their players came on the the field near him and kneeled.  I was happily surprised to see that and could not be more thankful for how respectful they were.

The score:  I know people are not happy with the score yesterday, but we actually played better than those think.  If it were not for those turnovers, we would have had a score of 40+ points.

Mentality:  I think this goes hand in hand with the score.  I could tell none of the players wanted to be there.  During Tiger Walk, no one was pumped up, including Deshaun Davis and Tre Williams.  On the sidelines no one was really talking.  After a big play, no one was pumped up.  Everyone also looked sluggish.  I believe this was due to the 3:00 PM time slot, and the temperature/humidity.  The fans were the same way.  No one ever stood up, except when military personnel were recognized.  Even when it was a one score game, I think our players knew we would win anyways, so they put in just enough effort to win.  None of this is excusable, but my interpretations nonetheless.  I do not expect this demeanor for Mississippi State.

Gus Malzahn:  Gus made a point this game to show everyone he was not interfering with Chip Lindsey.  When we were on offense, he was always 20-30 yards from the line of scrimmage, and did not have his clipboard.  He also had his mic flipped up for most of the game.  And it showed.  Our offense threw the ball like crazy.

Stidham:  Jarrett looked a lot calmer in this game.  His vision was narrowed a few times, but he is becoming every game more and more the guy we knew he could be.  That game was the second most efficient game in SEC history.  Auburn did that.  Wow.

Sean White:  I hate to see him spiraling out of control like this.  I really liked him.  I have a feeling this is lashing out over losing his starting job.  I really hope he gets help because he is a talented quarterback.  I will applaud Gus for dong the right thing.  Like him or hate him, Gus really has come in and cleaned things up.  He does not care how important you are to the team, if you break the rules you are gone.

Defense:  Man is it fun to watch a good Auburn defense.  Our true freshmen played pretty well.  I noticed we started playing third stringers/true freshmen on the third drive of the game.  This can only help our depth.  The only thing I would say, was I was hoping to see KJ Britt play in place of Dashaun Davis as I could see him limping on the sideline.  We need him healthy for SEC play.  I feel confident that from here on out under Steele we can "reload," not "rebuild."  We need to pay our defensive staff whatever it takes to keep them.  

Around the country:  Every other team is struggling it seems, with the exception of Clemson.  Alabama showed it weaknesses, LSU's floodgates opened, etc.  We are looking better and better with how we handled Clemson on their field.  I would love play them again down the road when our offense is squared away.  

This forum:  I have noticed lately that discussions on this forum have really escalated.  Many from new posters on here, but some older posters too.  Remember we are all on the same team.  We all root for Auburn, and want to see those Oaks rolled.  If someone disagrees with you, your first response does not need to attack their integrity and go on the offensive.  That only makes them respond the same way.  I am not perfect, but I try to set the example in how to respond to people who disagree with me.  Disagreements are good.  Maybe you see something I missed, and vice versa.  

We are in a unique position with everything going on.  I believe in what 23 said in that we can really do something special down the stretch of our season.  Defense is there, and our offense is making improvements.  I know I am a noted pumper on here, and many may disagree, but it is just how I feel.  :wedance:

38 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Good morning/afternoon all,

I was going to write this post yesterday, however, I was instead writing my will as I felt like I was dying from food poisoning from one of my favorite restaurants in Auburn.  :cry3:

Was it Niffers? I've gotten sick from there before (though not full food poisoning). My favorite place was Cheng Du on College but it closed up like 5 years ago sadly.

Darius James:  Can I first state that I am really glad that young man is okay.  For about 30 minutes everyone was just silent.  I could not even figure out who it was.  When I saw the stretcher and the neck brace, all I could think about was Kris Frost in 2014, and Zac Etheridge in 2009.  MAJOR KUDOS to Mercer.  Every single player of their got down on one knee, and about 90% of their players came on the the field near him and kneeled.  I was happily surprised to see that and could not be more thankful for how respectful they were.

Amen to that. It was scary!

The score:  I know people are not happy with the score yesterday, but we actually played better than those think.  If it were not for those turnovers, we would have had a score of 40+ points.

Yep - we had great stats just not in turnovers or on the scoreboard. I wasn't happy with the ground game either but we didn't do as bad as it seemed.

Gus Malzahn:  Gus made a point this game to show everyone he was not interfering with Chip Lindsey.  When we were on offense, he was always 20-30 yards from the line of scrimmage, and did not have his clipboard.  He also had his mic flipped up for most of the game.  And it showed.  Our offense threw the ball like crazy.

I noticed him up the field a few times myself which made me happy. 

Stidham:  Jarrett looked a lot calmer in this game.  His vision was narrowed a few times, but he is becoming every game more and more the guy we knew he could be.  That game was the second most efficient game in SEC history.  Auburn did that.  Wow.

He's going to have to get even better in a hurry if we don't work out the issues on our o-line. It was fun to watch him throw though!

Around the country:  Every other team is struggling it seems, with the exception of Clemson.  Alabama showed it weaknesses, LSU's floodgates opened, etc.  We are looking better and better with how we handled Clemson on their field.  I would love play them again down the road when our offense is squared away.  

Defensively, yes, but they still embarrassed us with the way they manhandled our offense. We can only hope to improve enough to still be in consideration for a rematch down the road. :)

Re the comment on Darius James.....I was at the stadium and don't think I ever heard the announcers tell us who was hurt...name was not mentioned while he was down or while he was being removed from the field...instead we were subjected to blaring commercials for what?....I can't even recall except my wife was really put out about how the situation was treated. .

In my view, the injured player deserved more respect from the producers of the game....players on both teams were kneeling but otherwise, it was "business" as usual from the video board.   Too Bad....

As for Gus or whatever...yep we threw the ball like crazy, ran up about 400 yards passing and yet had to resort to the wildcat to actually score a TD.   Not sure that's an improvement over the Gus offense.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Re the comment on Darius James.....I was at the stadium and don't think I ever heard the announcers tell us who was hurt...name was not mentioned while he was down or while he was being removed from the field...instead we were subjected to blaring commercials for what?....I can't even recall except my wife was really put out about how the situation was treated. .

In my view, the injured player deserved more respect from the producers of the game....players on both teams were kneeling but otherwise, it was "business" as usual from the video board.   Too Bad....

As for Gus or whatever...yep we threw the ball like crazy, ran up about 400 yards passing and yet had to resort to the wildcat to actually score a TD.   Not sure that's an improvement over the Gus offense.

Considering its usage the last few years, I think that was called by Gus, or Lindsey was told to use it.  I would love it if we had effective red zone options beyond wildcat or field goal.

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

Considering its usage the last few years, I think that was called by Gus, or Lindsey was told to use it.  I would love it if we had effective red zone options beyond wildcat or field goal.

Actually if you check, you will find that Chip ran the wildcat at this last school quite a bit....didn't need anyone to tell him to do it....would hope that someday soon fans will accept that the entire offensive staff are not a bunch of marionettes with Gus pulling all the strings...

1 hour ago, AUFlyer99 said:

Food poisoning from Niffers?   Say it ain't so!!

Nope!  Unfortunately it was from... Jim & Nick's.  I knew I should have gone to Mike & Ed's!  They are my favorite BBQ restaurant in Auburn anyways.

39 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Nope!  Unfortunately it was from... Jim & Nick's.  I knew I should have gone to Mike & Ed's!  They are my favorite BBQ restaurant in Auburn anyways.

Yep.  You can get food poisoning from Jim n Nicks anywhere.   Gotta eat local when in Auburn  

Hope you're feeling better.  

3 hours ago, Strychnine said:

My disdain for the wildcat comes from how predictable it has become.  The formation used to have more variety, but we even run the same direction every time.  I am really surprised it worked twice.  Remember all of the ways McFadden would run it when Gus introduced it?  I will say that the formation using the RB to accept the snap has varied a bit under Lindsey.  

Please tell me you are still not a sunshine pumper after everything that has gone down this season. getting food poisoning is a sign man!! you need to change your ways! lol

29 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

My disdain for the wildcat comes from how predictable it has become.  The formation used to have more variety, but we even run the same direction every time.  I am really surprised it worked twice.  Remember all of the ways McFadden would run it when Gus introduced it?  I will say that the formation using the RB to accept the snap has varied a bit under Lindsey.  

Who cares about predictable? ....what I want to see is results...and that's pretty good.   The RB usually has some choices about where to run and I'm assuming he's looking to see where the is a crack that he can slip through.  

I don't like the Wildcat with the QB standing out in some split alignment just watching the play unfold.   The effective Wildcat is a power move and a play that usually includes an extra blocking back to help open a hole.  

As mentioned earlier....what was more predictable on third and 2 than Cam standing in the shotgun to take the snap and crowd his way though the line.  Everyone in the stadium knew what was coming....and what good did it usually do them ?

Thanks for the perspective. I'm especially encouraged to hear Gus was making a point to clearly not interfere with the play calling.

its sad that the media focuses on Gus and if he is carrying a clipboard or play sheet (which he had folded up in his pocket)

You can tell that its eating Gus alive to not be involved like he used to be.

You forgot to mention just how much slower Pettway looked in person! Like a lineman trying to run the ball, but with less fervor. It was extremely evident that he is not 100%. 

Yet we did not get anyone else any reps.

And Stidham has always looked good when he has had time to throw. Unfortunately, SEC defense don't give much time. Hopefully we can keep the quick hitters coming.

It was a fun atmosphere for the day, but the team looked like they could care less. They also looked a but unprepared. Hopefully the SEC opener will have them focused.

I will say that if we had used this game plan against Clemson (minus the TOs), we just might have won.

We are slowly getting better. I just hope we can hang in there till the O gets up to speed...if ever!

Archived