Ole Miss voting on replacing mascot....again

PigskinPat

I have no words:

http://m.oxfordeagle.com/2017/09/18/ole-miss-students-vote-either-keep-replace-rebel-bear-mascot/

"The Ole Miss Associated Student Body announced Monday the Landshark Referendum. The ASB will hold a student vote on September 26 to either keep ‘Rebel’, their current black bear mascot, or replace it with a Landshark mascot."

Anyone remember how close Admiral Ackbar came to getting voted in over the bear? Bet he gets some write ins again. 

http://techland.time.com/2010/09/08/the-saga-of-admiral-ackbars-bid-to-be-leader-of-the-ole-miss-rebels/

yup, that is "Time" magazine doing the article

Barely even tangentially related, but

back when I was at South Alabama, we elected a sheepdog named Shasta for Homecoming Queen.

Faculty/Staff actually issued a press release to clarify that overturning of the results was due to lack of a valid student ID# for said sheepdog on file.

They did, however, bow to student-body consensus and release our poor caged jaguar to a Fla. nature preserve.

Keep on voting until the powers to be get the answer they want...but "land sharks"....my gosh that's about as dumb as it gets.

Might as well call themselves the Catfish since that is supposed to be the largest revenue source for the state....and probably would not offend anyone either..

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Might as well call themselves the Catfish since that is supposed to be the largest revenue source for the state....and probably would not offend anyone either..

Except the 40 year old dudes who get hoodwinked by other 40 year old dudes online

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Keep on voting until the powers to be get the answer they want...but "land sharks"....my gosh that's about as dumb as it gets.

I actually kind of dig it.  At least the roots of the land sharks have tie-ins with the football team, unlike the Black Bear.  Plus, if this can mean a Dan Akroyd appearance at an Ole Miss game saying "candygram", then it's totally worth it.

Technically a "land shark" and catfish might be confused with each other by those who are not familiar with the big tabby cats that populate the Mississippi River.  If they go for the land shark mascot, I can see lots of opponents using sketches of the big catfish as a caricature of the team's mascot.

Probably not popular with some, but I think if they don't have the cajones to call themselves the rebels anymore they should just shut the place down. That's how I feel about it, and will not debate it further. 

41 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Probably not popular with some, but I think if they don't have the cajones to call themselves the rebels anymore they should just shut the place down. That's how I feel about it, and will not debate it further. 

They aren't changing their nickname.  This is about the on field costumed mascot.  A few years ago they got rid if Col Reb and replaced him with a Rebel Black Bear.  Now they are talking about changing said Bear to a Land Shark (in honor of their "Land Shark" defense).  They will still be the Ole Miss Rebels.

Think of it like Bama.  An elephant has nothing to do with a Crimson Tide, but it's there based on an old column.  Same concept.

I get that. My comment was based on their taking old Col. Rebel off the field. Although it was always a misnomer anyway, nothing rebellious about sovereign states declaring their independence, the University of Mississippi always wore the label with pride. Just another step in the complete neutering of the American South, and I'll leave it at that as any more discussion of the subject belongs in the political forum.

Has the other athletic teams bought into being called the land sharks?  It just seem appropriate for the gymnastics team.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:43 PM, AU64 said:

oh yeah somebody would be offended

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:36 AM, Brad_ATX said:

They aren't changing their nickname.  This is about the on field costumed mascot.  A few years ago they got rid if Col Reb and replaced him with a Rebel Black Bear.  Now they are talking about changing said Bear to a Land Shark (in honor of their "Land Shark" defense).  They will still be the Ole Miss Rebels.

Think of it like Bama.  An elephant has nothing to do with a Crimson Tide, but it's there based on an old column.  Same concept.

how about the Big Freeze

On 9/18/2017 at 7:43 PM, AU64 said:

They'd still be the Ole Miss Rebels. No one would call them the land-sharks just like no one calls Auburn the War Eagles. 

On 9/19/2017 at 0:36 AM, Brad_ATX said:

Thanks, you beat me to it. The Land-Shark makes more sense than the Bear ever did, IMO. It's something that has grown organically by the students and fan base, as opposed to something selected by the University. 

Their landshark defense will probably be just a memory in a few years.

Saw some Landshark beer at the mart the other day.....made me think of OM  party school....they may be on to something.

• 2 weeks later...

They just need to yank a sorority sis out of the grove, give her a sweater  with  "Toddy" embroidered over her heart.

Little doc  ( I've been to there and know a thing or two)

Sounds like nobody in leadership wants to own a decision on the mascot.

And by the way, if native american nicknames are offensive to those groups, wouldn't the "Rebels" nickname also be offensive to confederate soldier groups...those groups that are considered extremely racist...so then the PC left should be OK with a nickname that degrades a "racist" group?  The "Woke" folks should be encouraging a Colonel Reb mascot, correct?

Just shooting from the hip...

On 9/20/2017 at 2:37 PM, Barnacle said:

They'd still be the Ole Miss Rebels. No one would call them the land-sharks just like no one calls Auburn the War Eagles. 

My 3 year old son calls us the War Eagles.....  "Daddy, is War Eagle on? I want to watch War Eagle."

Archived