Dem Rep. Gutierrez Says He ‘Could Have Been More Careful’ in His Attack on John Kelly

Auburn85

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/dem-rep-gutierrez-says-he-could-have-been-more-careful-in-his-attack-on-john-kelly/

After the White House’s announcement on ending DACA, you may remember the reaction from Congressman Luis Gutierrez and his attack in particular on Chief of Staff John Kelly.

In addition to his criticisms of the Trump administration, Gutierrezsaid the following about the retired General and Homeland Security Secretary:

General Kelly, when he was the head of Homeland Security, lied straight to the faces of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus about preventing the mass deportation of DREAMers. Now as Chief of Staff, this former general is executing the plan to take away their lifeline and taking steps to criminalize young people who live and work here legally. General Kelly is a hypocrite who is a disgrace to the uniform he used to wear. He has no honor and should be drummed out of the White House along with the white supremacists and those enabling the President’s actions by ‘just following orders.’

Gutierrez received some serious backlash for those remarks, and Kellyresponded in a statement saying, “As my blessed mother used to say ’empty barrels make the most noise.'”

On CNN this morning, Alisyn Camerota asked Gutierrez about those remarks, and he said, “I could have been more careful with the use of my words, and there are times you need to reevaluate.”

But this wasn’t an apology, for he went on to strongly criticize Kelly for his tenure at DHS and his “heartless” actions.

Camerota asked him why he had to “bring his military service into it.” Gutierrez said he didn’t look at Kelly in terms of his military service, but as a politician working for President Trump.

Archived