Byron Cowart

au_bsci_04

If he doesn't want to compete and take on a challenge, we don't need him. Good luck to him in the future (unless of course he is one of our opponents). Kinda how I feel about our HC too 

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

I don't agree.  I think Malzahn is a cancer to the program and his influence is being felt now even on Cowart.  

I do not mean to be rude (I really don't), but respectfully, that is a blind shot in the dark just to try and put this on Gus.  It would be like saying Gus forced Sean to get drunk and made him walk down Ross.  If you have followed Byron to any degree, you would know that he just is not cut out for a D1 school.  His first year he had zero technique as in high school he just relied on his power to get to the QB.  His second year, he was pushed down the depth chart because Marlon jumped him.  His third year RG switched him from DE to DT because everyone knew Byron would never be good enough to play DE.  And now at DT, Bryron is a third stringer.  Over the summer, at coach interviews, when RG was asked about RG, all he could muster is that "he is working."  Players who get a hard reality of not starting when they think they are all that transfer.  Happens everywhere.  Look at the QB transfers from Texas A&M, Alabama, etc.  

Note:  I also updated my other post if you would like a further explanation.

2 minutes ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

Based on what exactly?  What Malzahn and Garner have said?

And Muschamp. He received valuable playing time as a true freshman, but didn't breakout like Marlon Davidson, Derrick Brown, and Monty Adams did. After it appeared he wasn't cutting it as an end, they moved him to DT to try and take advantage of his size and speed and it still didn't work out. He hasn't really seemed to take his opportunity here serious, with the silly Chuckie doll in his locker, to the Twitter post.  I wish BC well and hope he finds what he's looking for. WDE BC.

He's been passed up on by other underclassmen. For those in the "it's Gus' fault" camp, explain that? Why have they played and excelled while he hasn't?

17 minutes ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

Based on what exactly?  What Malzahn and Garner have said?  

Based off of his technique when he does play.  He disengages way too late, overshoots his man, and get overpowered just due to his technique.  In D1 play, technique becomes everything, which he is still learning.  For example, I power lift.  When you look at me, I am really not that big.  You would not think much of me compared to other people who do it.  But I am one of the strongest guys in my gym, in particular my squats, because I have my technique down that allows me to deliver power in the most efficient way.  Another example, is for cars.  Mid engine cars can get more power than front engine cars because the engine has less distance to the rear axle (the technique supercar engineers choose). That is why people are now saying for Corvette to make any further advancements, they need to start considering a mid-engine car (which I am against selfishly).  I hope this helps.

16 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I do not mean to be rude (I really don't), but respectfully, that is a blind shot in the dark just to try and put this on Gus.  It would be like saying Gus forced Sean to get drunk and made him walk down Ross.  If you have followed Byron to any degree, you would know that he just is not cut out for a D1 school.  His first year he had zero technique as in high school he just relied on his power to get to the QB.  His second year, he was pushed down the depth chart because Marlon jumped him.  His third year RG switched him from DE to DT because everyone knew Byron would never be good enough to play DE.  And now at DT, Bryron is a third stringer.  Over the summer, at coach interviews, when RG was asked about RG, all he could muster is that "he is working."  Players who get a hard reality of not starting when they think they are all that transfer.  Happens everywhere.  Look at the QB transfers from Texas A&M, Alabama, etc.  

Not just aTm.  Look at Turd town.  They have had 2 or 3 5* QBs transfer out to other colleges and none of them are starting of their respective teams.  This happens at every school at every position.

Best of luck Mr Cowart.

54 minutes ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

Unfortunately I think he sees the writing on the wall.  May get blasted for this, but who would want to play for Malzahn? 

My thoughts also. My first thought is this is Malzahn losing the team.

47 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Nothing to do with Malzahn, he simply didn't develop into an SEC player and kept getting outplayed by younger guys. He's had every opportunity to excel on the d-line but can't get it together.

And you are entitled to your opinion as are we.

33 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I guess losing the two redshirt freshmen before the season started also isn't about Malzahn? At some point you have to stop blaming things other than Malzahn. A&M and Bama dont have redshirt freahmen leaving....But i do agree White isn't on Malzahn

27 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

He's been passed up on by other underclassmen. For those in the "it's Gus' fault" camp, explain that? Why have they played and excelled while he hasn't?

Sure the DL has excelled. But the offense (which is why we hired him) sure isn't. You just don't have redshirt freshmen leaving before the season, now someone basically quitting during the season. At what point do these things get laid at the feet of the HC? 

44 minutes ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

I don't agree.  I think Malzahn is a cancer to the program and his influence is being felt now even on Cowart.  

Considering he played on the 2nd best defense in the nation shows CGM had little to do with his decision. Wake up.

This season seems to be taking a negative trajectory already.

I don't even know what's more concerning, QB depth or RB depth. 

And we lost some DL depth. 

44 minutes ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

I am far from a Malzahn supporter as everyone knows, but blaming Cowart being a bust/transfering and/or for SW having off of the field problems (not saying you did with SW but others did) on Malzahn is just ridiculous.  There are plenty of legitimate reasons for wanting Gus gone without having to go full-on black helicopter, tin foil hat crazy.

wde

29 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Another example, is for cars.  Mid engine cars can get more power than front engine cars because the engine has less distance to the rear axle (the technique supercar engineers choose). That is why people are now saying for Corvette to make any further advancements, they need to start considering a mid-engine car (which I am against selfishly).  I hope this helps.

A couple of weeks ago I watched a 3 part series "The Cars That Built America"  on the History Channel it was a really good program.  (My God, Henry Ford was a stubborn horses ass.)

This happens a lot when these so called 5* recruits are never challenged by the level of competition they face in high school.  They can rely on their God-given abilities to blow people away on Friday nights and never have to really get after it in the weight room or on the practice field.

Then, once the competition is level in college, they have forgotten how to compete.  Sometimes it takes 2-3 years to get that competitive fire back up and that aura of invincibility back down.  BC is another in a long list of "big-fish, small pond" talents who never quite adjusted to life in the open sea.  

I hope he gets it before his window of opportunity closes.

8 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I guess losing the two redshirt freshmen before the season started also isn't about Malzahn? At some point you have to stop blaming things other than Malzahn. A&M and Bama dont have redshirt freahmen leaving....But i do agree White isn't on Malzahn

I do not know their stories on why they left, so I will not comment as I am not confident in my response.  But everyone knew how Byron has been doing in practice and could see him during his gameplay.  I don't want to beat a dead horse, but my explanation is in the comments above on why this is not on Gus or RG at all.

Look, its not Gus' fault that Byron was never cut out to be a SEC caliber DT. The kid has a lot of talent but just never unlocked it here. Not everyone can be coached by Rodney Garner. Best of luck to him though.

To me, trying to blame Gus for Byron's personal issues and inability to deal with hard coaching is just people who want Gus gone trying to pad the stats.  This is on Byron.  Period.  

26 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

My thoughts also. My first thought is this is Malzahn losing the team.

And you are entitled to your opinion as are we.

Sure the DL has excelled. But the offense (which is why we hired him) sure isn't. You just don't have redshirt freshmen leaving before the season, now someone basically quitting during the season. At what point do these things get laid at the feet of the HC? 

Alabama had a running back transfer after his freshman year just last season.

They've had 5 QBs transfer out of the program since Saban got there.  Two of them just last year and one of them only 2-3 games into the season.

It does happen everywhere.

17 minutes ago, keesler said:

A couple of weeks ago I watched a 3 part series "The Cars That Built America"  on the History Channel it was a really good program.  (My God, Henry Ford was a stubborn horses ass.)

Not to derail, but my Dad had (2) 1929 Model A's.  I read where Ford had the engineers re-design the 30 bolt carburetor assembly to make it simpler to work on. When the engineers proudly returned with a 5 bolt version, he told them that it had 5 bolts too many.  The final version had a single bolt and the article stated that if it was running rough you could probably safely bet your paycheck that taking it apart and blowing it out would resolve the issue.  Ford was a hell of a design freak.  

Cowart had the benefit of being taught by two outstanding coordinators. Our defense has become stellar. So the logic of some state that Cowart didn't pan out and it's Gus' fault. People on here are hysterical in their anti-Gusness. There are plenty of faults that are legitimate in regards to Gus. Choose one of those to focus on. There are plenty. No need to make up stupid connections.

If we were losing a starter who'd been performing well, this would be cause to panic. As it's not, all I see is a player who wants to get more snaps realizing that he won't get them at AU because there are better players in front of him. Best of luck to him.

Its funny that we talk about players not developing but is it not the goal of the coaches to bring in someone better every year. Bryon didn't pick it up, they brought in Marlon and he picked it up faster. If you can't cut it, you can't cut it. its not like he has been a better option and we have left him benched. He was outplayed. Why would you want that on the field?

Archived