Byron Cowart

au_bsci_04

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

It's not that.  It's more of him having his head blown up that he was the best recruit in the nation, to realizing he could not even get past our walk-on offensive lineman, to being on the third string his junior year.  If RG can't get him together, no one can. I hate to see anyone transfer, but if he is going to be a coward and bail during the season on us, it is hard for me to feel bad for him to be honest.  And I was really pulling for him too.

There is an article interviewing RG a year ago when he was saying, when Byron got here, he was going up against the walk-on linemen, they would walk away asking "He is a 5*?"  Guys were lining up to go against him.  Every year we have freshmen jumping ahead of him.  If he was going to do this, it is better for us to open up that scholarship spot now for RG to recruit another top notch guy.

I agree with your second paragraph.  But your first paragraph?  Coward? Really? Good grief ...

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Sure the DL has excelled. But the offense (which is why we hired him) sure isn't. You just don't have redshirt freshmen leaving before the season, now someone basically quitting during the season. At what point do these things get laid at the feet of the HC? 

Tell me again how this pertains to the willingness of a backup DT staying on the team?

2 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I agree with your second paragraph.  But your first paragraph?  Coward? Really? Good grief ...

I was raised that if you commit to something you need to follow through and be a man of your word.  Bailing on your team in the middle of the season because you don't like how things are going is essentially pitching a fit and taking the cowards way out and not finishing your job.  Why not transfer in the summer to give the guy under him more reps for if he is needed?  It only hurts the team when kids act this way.  

giphy.gif                                    

In all seriousness though, I wish him the best. 

13 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I was raised that if you commit to something you need to follow through and be a man of your word.  Bailing on your team in the middle of the season because you don't like how things are going is essentially pitching a fit and taking the cowards way out and not finishing your job.  Why not transfer in the summer to give the guy under him more reps for if he is needed?  It only hurts the team when kids act this way.  

I agree with everything you've written.  I was raised the same way and I would have seen it through till December.  BUT, if he sees himself as having only 1.5 years left (and incorrectly sees himself in the NFL) then this may have been a business decision.  I simply took exception to the cowardous reference.  I don't think it applies here.

i like to look at other out of the box possibilities ... he should have transferred pre-season ... he was moved to different position in the spring.  Makes me wonder if the coaches got him to give it a go at DT and if he didn't increase his playing time then they'd give him his release.

dont y'all think he got his release awfully fast? 

Btw, if I recall on signing day it was a really bizarre situation.  Ultimately his HS coach (maybe?) made a comment to the effect that Byron was mature/tough/ready because he'd been coddled- or something like that.  The coach was ridiculed pretty bad as having sour grapes.  HS coach was right.

I don't know the situation that has caused him to want to transfer mid-season, but I hope it is not serious and that he does well in life. 

Funny/sad how all of the rumors that come out lately with bad news for AU are turning out to be true:

*JF3 will transfer

* Cowart will transfer

* Players will be suspended week 1

I hope we don't have any more rumors come out. 

8 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I don't know the situation that has caused him to want to transfer mid-season, but I hope it is not serious and that he does well in life. 

Funny/sad how all of the rumors that come out lately with bad news for AU are turning out to be true:

*JF3 will transfer

* Cowart will transfer

* Players will be suspended week 1

I hope we don't have any more rumors come out. 

Here's the next one- Auburn wins out to the iron bowl.

That'll be true too 

5 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

That'll be true too 

Some of these haters here won't handle that very well!

6 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

That'll be true too 

This is a rumor I like. Your source?  Please tell me it's not Gus.  :jump:

11 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

This is a rumor I like. Your source?  Please tell me it's not Gus.  :jump:

al.com.  Specifically the Crepea.

I wish him well. If he thinks he can better himself go for it.  The team needs to be rid of those who do not want to be or need to be here Gus or no Gus.  This is Auburn and we are an elite school and need to do what we have to do to stay this way for now and the long term.

Just now, doc4aday said:

I wish him well. If he thinks he can better himself go for it.  The team needs to be rid of those who do not want to be or need to be here Gus or no Gus.  This is Auburn and we are an elite school.

Kid has personal issues. I haven't read one thread here but I say give the kid a break on this one. No one is at fault here, not even the offensive guru head coach. 

I've been critical on Malzahn, but this was a failure on the recruiting services. 

Who wouldn't have taken him? Even for the publicity. 

According to an interview with Crepea at AL.com, he's transferring because of a lack of playing time and because of an ongoing health issue with his mom right now.  He's going to transfer to a school close by to finish this semester academically and then look at other options for playing football next year.  He's been released to any school outside the SEC except for those on Auburn's 2018 schedule (Washington, Southern Miss, Liberty and Alabama State).

4 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Seems like there could have been a way to fix that....

How?  Play him instead of better players so he doesn't leave?  And people are calling for Gus's head now...just imagine if that was his philosophy.  Unless you're saying there is some other way to "fix that" (and I see zero ways possible) then I whole heartedly disagree. 

This article says he "plans to turn his attention towards trying to play the game professionally". Alrighty then! I'm sure there are lots of NFL teams just itching to sign a backup DT who quit 3 games into the season!!

http://scout.com/college/auburn/Article/Defensive-Tackle-Byron-Cowart-Quits-Auburn-Football-Team-107657885

"Auburn, Ala.--Backup defensive lineman Byron Cowarthas requested his release from the Auburn football team and plans to turn his attention towards trying to play the game professionally, Inside the Auburn Tigers has learned. Cowart plans to continue to take classes at AU this semester."

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

According to an interview with Crepea at AL.com, he's transferring because of a lack of playing time and because of an ongoing health issue with his mom right now.  He's going to transfer to a school close by to finish this semester academically and then look at other options for playing football next year.  He's been released to any school outside the SEC except for those on Auburn's 2018 schedule (Washington, Southern Miss, Liberty and Alabama State).

Wish him the best. He never gelled with  Coach Rod. I applaud him for sticking it out this long. Just wish he never played this year as it just cost him a year of eligibility. 

Archived