au_bsci_04

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, McLoofus said:

We're #1!!!

glad we are number 1 at something this year! lol

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

We may have signed a 5-star guy back in 2015, but the guy who left was not 5-star.

No he was rated as a 5 star coming in. whether he deserved the ranking is to be decided. Fellow 5* failures were   Roc Thomas, Duke williams, Jovon Robinson 

Just now, auskip07 said:

No he was rated as a 5 star coming in. whether he deserved the ranking is to be decided. Fellow 5* failures were   Roc Thomas, Duke williams, Jovon Robinson 

Jovon and Duke were behavioral problems.  Ratings aren't relevant.

Roc Thomas has had some moments on the FCS level but nothing that would suggest he was all his rating said he was.

Byron...I don't really think the jury is out on him anymore.  Part of being a 5-star in those ratings systems is that you will walk in and be a factor year one.  That didn't happen.  Year two rolled around - that didn't happen.  Year three came and while other younger and even lower rated players have become significant contributors or stars, still hasn't happened.  Cowart, no matter what he was the day we signed him, is not now a 5-star talent.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Roc Thomas has had some moments on the FCS level but nothing that would suggest he was all his rating said he was.

Byron...I don't really think the jury is out on him anymore.  Part of being a 5-star in those ratings systems is that you will walk in and be a factor year one.  That didn't happen.  Year two rolled around - that didn't happen.  Year three came and while other younger and even lower rated players have become significant contributors or stars, still hasn't happened.  Cowart, no matter what he was the day we signed him, is not now a 5-star talent.

DUDE , I dont care what the circumstances are.   Its about 5* on the team seem to have an issue staying with the team for the longevity of their college career.  You can make excuses all day for each individual case but the trend is there 

This is one of those expectation vs reality situations. Byron fully expected he would be a super star DE by now, a marquee position. However the reality was instead of being a super star DE,  he was passed over by Freshmen DEs and switched to DT.  This meant he would have to give up on the expectations he had for himself whether they were realistic or not or even based on his actual ability. He was not ready to accept this new reality, so here we are. 

32 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Ouch, not a great recruiting stat right there.

An easy way to overcome that ammo is just tell kids straight,  look if you don't work hard, put in the time, dedicate yourself to your job and team...you can easily be a bust. We've got plenty to show you. Lol!

Just now, auskip07 said:

DUDE , I dont care what the circumstances are.   Its about 5* on the team seem to have an issue staying with the team for the longevity of their college career.  You can make excuses all day for each individual case but the trend is there 

DUDE, take a Xanax or something.  We're talking here.  Getting your undies in a wad is silly.

So what "trend" is it?  And if the "trend" exists at other schools does it really mean anything?  Big time kids with ratings and egos to match wash out all the time in major college sports.  Alabama lost two five-star QBs and a 4 or 5-star running back last season.  Saban has lost five 4 or 5-star QBs early to transferring out since he got to Alabama.  So what?

Looking at a list of 5-stars that have been signed out of high school since Malzahn came, overall they've done just fine.  That list consists of:

Montravious Adams
Carl Lawson
Roc Thomas
Tre Williams
Byron Cowart
Derrick Brown
Calvin Ashley

Duke and Jovon were JUCO guys and had issues already.  That we didn't manage to solve them isn't necessarily an indictment on anyone but Duke and Jovon.  What you dismiss as excuses, reasonable people not prone to kneejerk hot takes see as reasons and facts.

8 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

If a 5* plays like a 2*-3*, they often transfer because they get passed on the depth chart.  Recruiting rankings aren't an exact science.  It's an educated guess, but a guess nonetheless.  There are 5* busts every year around the country.

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

DUDE, take a Xanax or something.  We're talking here.  Getting your undies in a wad is silly.

So what "trend" is it?  And if the "trend" exists at other schools does it really mean anything?  Big time kids with ratings and egos to match wash out all the time in major college sports.  Alabama lost two five-star QBs and a 4 or 5-star running back last season.  Saban has lost five 4 or 5-star QBs early to transferring out since he got to Alabama.  So what?

Looking at a list of 5-stars that have been signed out of high school since Malzahn came, overall they've done just fine.  That list consists of:

Montravious Adams
Carl Lawson
Roc Thomas
Tre Williams
Byron Cowart
Derrick Brown
Calvin Ashley

Duke and Jovon were JUCO guys and had issues already.  That we didn't manage to solve them isn't necessarily an indictment on anyone but Duke and Jovon.  What you dismiss as excuses, reasonable people not prone to kneejerk hot takes see as reasons and facts.

I agree with your point, but Elijah Daniel was a 5*.  

16 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Does anyone have an opposite type list? Three stars that ended up playing like five stars. Was dee ford a three star?

3 star linebacker turned into NFL DE.  Tuberville gets a little credit for that one, though...he found him.  

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Montravious Adams
Carl Lawson
Roc Thomas
Tre Williams
Byron Cowart
Derrick Brown
Calvin Ashley

1 hour ago, auskip07 said:

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

If a 5* plays like a 2*-3*, they often transfer because they get passed on the depth chart.  Recruiting rankings aren't an exact science.  It's an educated guess, but a guess nonetheless.  There are 5* busts every year around the country.

To clarify, people expect ratings out of high school to directly translate to impact, when in reality, the more ACCURATE descriptor for ratings would be that they're simply assessments of the "TOOLS" that a player has. Size, Speed, Instincts, Strength, etc.

A player can come out of high school with all the tools in the world, however, if they don't learn how to develop and utilize their tools, while they've got the 5 star tools, they don't produce 5 star impact. It's like hiring a big name fancy repairman with all sorts of unique and useful equipment, however, he is inefficient at his job because he doesn't use the correct tool for the correct job, or he isn't skillful at using it. It has nothing to do with longevity or impact. If those tools aren't used correctly in the scheme they're selected to be used in, the job won't get done. Also, I'm not sure there's any sort of way to predict longevity with a team based on conduct except for reviewing history, however, there as many 5-stars as there have been to drop off of this team due to conduct, there have been WAAAAAAAY more 2-4 stars.

The inverse is also true of those rated very low, and with fewer tools, who learn to make the best with what they have, or acquire more throughout their career.....

Hopefully this analogy was not wasted.

59 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I agree with your point, but Elijah Daniel was a 5*.  

I just went with a list 24/7 compiled.  I'm sure it would change depending on the rankings you use.

4 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

To clarify, people expect ratings out of high school to directly translate to impact, when in reality, the more ACCURATE descriptor for ratings would be that they're simply assessments of the "TOOLS" that a player has. Size, Speed, Instincts, Strength, etc.

A player can come out of high school with all the tools in the world, however, if they don't learn how to develop and utilize their tools, while they've got the 5 star tools, they don't produce 5 star impact. It's like hiring a big name fancy repairman with all sorts of unique and useful equipment, however, he is inefficient at his job because he doesn't use the correct tool for the correct job, or he isn't skillful at using it. It has nothing to do with longevity or impact. If those tools aren't used correctly in the scheme they're selected to be used in, the job won't get done.

The inverse is also true of those rated very low, and with fewer tools, who learn to make the best with what they have, or acquire more throughout their career.....

Hopefully this analogy was not wasted.

Simply put, potential. You know what they say about potential ?

1 hour ago, auskip07 said:

Here's a list of 247's top 20 players for Auburn:

1.  Byron Cowart, DE (2015)  (#3) (transferred)

2.  Michael Dyer, RB (2010)  (#8) (transferred)

3. Derrick Brown, DT (2016) (#9)

4.  Christian Westerman, OT (2011) (#10)  (transferred)

5.  Montravius Adams, DT (2013) (#10) (3rd rnd pick)

6.  Carl Lawson, DE (2013) (#21) (4th rnd pick)

7.  Roc Thomas, RB (2014) (#23) (transferred)

8.  Trovon Reed, ATH (2010) (#24) (transferred)

9.  Calvin Ashley, OT (2017) (#27)

10. Tre Williams, LB (2014) (#29)

11.  Jovon Robinson, RB (2012, 2015) (#1 Juco) (dismissed)

12.  Jarrett Stidham, QB (2017) (#1 Juco)

13.  Duke Williamsm, WR (2014) (#1 Juco) (dismissed)

14.  Cam Newton, QB (2010) (#3 Juco) (#1 overall pick)

15.  Marlon Davidson, DE (2016) (#31)

16.  Kerryone Johnson, ATH (2015) (#43)

17.  Nate Craig-Myers, ATH (2016) (#46)

18.  Elijah Daniel, DE (2013) (#49) (dismissed)

19.  Kiehl Frazier, QB (2011) (#51) (transferred)

20.  Antwuan Jackson, Jr, DT (2016) (#51) (transferred)

Is 50/50 on your program's top 20 recruits considered mediocre, sub par, or decent when compared to the competition in our league?:dunno:

23 minutes ago, keesler said:

Here's a list of 247's top 20 players for Auburn:

1.  Byron Cowart, DE (2015)  (#3) (transferred)

2.  Michael Dyer, RB (2010)  (#8) (transferred)

3. Derrick Brown, DT (2016) (#9)

4.  Christian Westerman, OT (2011) (#10)  (transferred)

5.  Montravius Adams, DT (2013) (#10) (3rd rnd pick)

6.  Carl Lawson, DE (2013) (#21) (4th rnd pick)

7.  Roc Thomas, RB (2014) (#23) (transferred)

8.  Trovon Reed, ATH (2010) (#24) (transferred)

9.  Calvin Ashley, OT (2017) (#27)

10. Tre Williams, LB (2014) (#29)

11.  Jovon Robinson, RB (2012, 2015) (#1 Juco) (dismissed)

12.  Jarrett Stidham, QB (2017) (#1 Juco)

13.  Duke Williamsm, WR (2014) (#1 Juco) (dismissed)

14.  Cam Newton, QB (2010) (#3 Juco) (#1 overall pick)

15.  Marlon Davidson, DE (2016) (#31)

16.  Kerryone Johnson, ATH (2015) (#43)

17.  Nate Craig-Myers, ATH (2016) (#46)

18.  Elijah Daniel, DE (2013) (#49) (dismissed)

19.  Kiehl Frazier, QB (2011) (#51) (transferred)

20.  Antwuan Jackson, Jr, DT (2016) (#51) (transferred)

Is 50/50 on your program's top 20 recruits considered mediocre, sub par, or decent when compared to the competition in our league?:dunno:

GREAT question @StatTiger

Often times in high school sports being a great player is not the best thing for the player.  Does that make sense?  OK.  High school coaches who have a great player, a 5*, do not coach them up or teach them the proper techniques because they are already dominating.  Many coaches don't want to confuse them or make them think too much. They rely on the player to use his natural talent and be good or even the best on the high school level.  The problem then is that when he gets to college he does not have the work ethic required to get better or compete at the next level.  They dont know how to be coached up because they never had to be.  I don't know what Byron's issues were with the college level but I think this may have something to do with it.  I wish him the best and hope he has learned a few things at Auburn. 

This. Now I don't know how BC was so good in high school but he was getting beat out by walk on at AU. Our dline is best in SEC so it is not a coaching problem. BC high school coach said something to the effect about effort being a problem when we signed him I believe. I do know he couldn't handle RG coaching as a freshman and couldn't break the rotation as a sophmore or junior.

An article I just read on al.com said Cowart would get his you know what handed to him by supposedly lesser talented players in one on one drills. I hate it. I also read he really wanted to play for Muschamp. He did play for Muschamp one season and didn't produce. I know he was a true freshman, but MD didn't have any trouble showing his stuff as a true freshman. I wish him well unless he plays against Auburn.

Archived