Byron Cowart

au_bsci_04

4 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

No player should get roasted or criticized for a decision to transfer

The fact that this needs posted on here says a million times more about some of the people on here than any of this situation says about BC. Some people need to get a grip and show some grace and humility. 

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:
cow·ard
ˈkou(ə)rd/
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.

You're such a joke

9 hours ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Tell me again how this pertains to the willingness of a backup DT staying on the team?

I'm not saying that this one incident does. But these issues are starting to add up. That's what I'm saying. That's my thinking anyway. Eventually it comes to a point you have to stop blaming the players.

8 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Kid has personal issues. I haven't read one thread here but I say give the kid a break on this one. No one is at fault here, not even the offensive guru head coach. 

I guess I came across too rough on the young man. I wish him the absolute best and hope he can revive his career at a school he is comfortable with.  I thought he was doing fine so far this season and getting more playing time than the past 2 years.

Just now, Auburn2Eugene said:

I'm not saying that this one incident does. But these issues are starting to add up. That's what I'm saying. That's my thinking anyway. Eventually it comes to a point you have to stop blaming the players.

He couldn't crack the starting DL on a D that has been very good for the past two seasons and even when he was a freshman when the D was being transformed under Muschamp.  None of that is on coaching.  Who would you have him start in front of currently on the DL based on production?

wde

I jumped off the Gus bus and ran the other way towards the beginning of 2014 (K. St game). BC leaving isn't Gus's fault. He's buried on the depth chart. He's been exposed to the same coaching as our other defensive lineman. Sometimes other people are just better. Wish him the best of luck. 

Just now, AUIH1 said:

He couldn't crack the starting DL on a D that has been very good for the past two seasons and even when he was a freshman when the D was being transformed under Muschamp.  None of that is on coaching.  Who would you have him start in front of currently on the DL based on production?

wde

I never said he should be starting. Not once. 

I am saying attrition is starting to add up. Eventually the finger has to stopped being pointed at the players. And one starts to wonder whats going on behind closed doors...

Queen never could stay healthy. Woody couldn't adjust to the college game. Jackson... well that still makes no sense to me. JF3 wanted more playing time and he didn't like being a WR (yet he transferred to another school using him as a WR.) Cowart wants more playing time. Sean...well that is unquestionably on Sean and no one else. 

I'm sure I'm leaving some out but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. 

Eventually the excuses run out and the finger has to be pointed to the coaching staff and not the players is all I'm saying.

We may could win out and be in the playoffs. We may lose every SEC game. 

Just keep this in mind... the game this weekend against MERCER was in doubt in the 4th quarer. It was 17-10 and they had the ball.... against MERCER. But anyway, this thread isn't about that. I just don't have a ton of confidence in the coaching staff anymore.

15 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I am saying attrition is starting to add up. Eventually the finger has to stopped being pointed at the players. And one starts to wonder whats going on behind closed doors...

Queen never could stay healthy. Woody couldn't adjust to the college game. Jackson... well that still makes no sense to me. JF3 wanted more playing time and he didn't like being a WR (yet he transferred to another school using him as a WR.) Cowart wants more playing time. Sean...well that is unquestionably on Sean and no one else. 

I'm sure I'm leaving some out but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. 

Eventually the excuses run out and the finger has to be pointed to the coaching staff and not the players is all I'm saying.

We may could win out and be in the playoffs. We may lose every SEC game. 

Just keep this in mind... the game this weekend against MERCER was in doubt in the 4th quarer. It was 17-10 and they had the ball.... against MERCER. But anyway, this thread isn't about that. I just don't have a ton of confidence in the coaching staff anymore.

I believe Gus should be fired unless by some miracle of God we win at least 9 regular season games and beat uga. I am just saying that for all that Gus has screwed up, Cowart leaving is not and should not even be on the radar.  Cowart not getting playing time is on Cowart.  Hell, I am the biggest Rodney Garner detractor on this board, but Cowart was a problem from signing day.

wde

19 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Queen never could stay healthy. Woody couldn't adjust to the college game. Jackson... well that still makes no sense to me. JF3 wanted more playing time and he didn't like being a WR (yet he transferred to another school using him as a WR.) Cowart wants more playing time.

Queen is definitely Malzhan's fault - after all, he was always wandering in his room after dark and hitting him with a tire iron.

And, clearly, kids that want more playing time have only the teams interest at heart, so we should just go ahead and let them play. Maybe since they're not good enough to beat out someone (or several someones), we should go ahead and ask the refs if it would be OK to run out 12 or 13 guys on the field, since clearly we need to get people playing time because they want it.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I have some eligibility left - Make it 14 on the field at one time.

Totally asinine.

I wish Byron the best of luck. From the very beginning, he did not seem committed to being at Auburn University. I think that was for several reasons, not the least his belief that it was his job to take care of his mom. I don't blame him for this, and to me, it shows a great deal of character that he puts her in such high esteem. If I recall correctly, she was working 2 or 3 jobs just to support the two of them. Imagine the kid's worry when the hurricane was bearing down on Florida. They have a special bond. I wish him well and hope that he feels more comfortable somewhere else. I am guessing he will play somewhere in the state of Florida. Hopefully, his mother's health issues are not life-threatening. She didn't even tell him about her surgery, so I wonder if she's been hiding a serious health threat from him. PLEASE, let's support this kid's decision and not bash his efforts here. Regardless of whether he cracked the starting line-up, he worked hard in practice and stuck it out for 2+ years.

39 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Is there a way to compare our attrition to other schools? Seems like I saw a comparison somewhere in the last year.  

Yeah, it has come up often over the years and is always proven our attrition is basically the same as everyone else's. Folks usually freak out when a couple higher profile guys leave and seem to forget it happens with every program. For those with the time and/or knowledge, it's probably not a big deal to bring back old threads as this topic has been discussed at length. 

13 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:
cow·ard
ˈkou(ə)rd/
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/5-star-Byron-Cowart-wanted-to-leave-Auburn-twice-during-career-107680763

Read this Article. Come on, have respect for a fellow Auburn man, former or not. 

12 hours ago, keesler said:

Here's a list of 247's top 20 players for Auburn:

1.  Byron Cowart, DE (2015)  (#3) (transferred)

2.  Michael Dyer, RB (2010)  (#8) (transferred)

3. Derrick Brown, DT (2016) (#9)

4.  Christian Westerman, OT (2011) (#10)  (transferred)

5.  Montravius Adams, DT (2013) (#10) (3rd rnd pick)

6.  Carl Lawson, DE (2013) (#21) (4th rnd pick)

7.  Roc Thomas, RB (2014) (#23) (transferred)

8.  Trovon Reed, ATH (2010) (#24) (transferred)

9.  Calvin Ashley, OT (2017) (#27)

10. Tre Williams, LB (2014) (#29)

11.  Jovon Robinson, RB (2012, 2015) (#1 Juco) (dismissed)

12.  Jarrett Stidham, QB (2017) (#1 Juco)

13.  Duke Williamsm, WR (2014) (#1 Juco) (dismissed)

14.  Cam Newton, QB (2010) (#3 Juco) (#1 overall pick)

15.  Marlon Davidson, DE (2016) (#31)

16.  Kerryone Johnson, ATH (2015) (#43)

17.  Nate Craig-Myers, ATH (2016) (#46)

18.  Elijah Daniel, DE (2013) (#49) (dismissed)

19.  Kiehl Frazier, QB (2011) (#51) (transferred)

20.  Antwuan Jackson, Jr, DT (2016) (#51) (transferred)

Is 50/50 on your program's top 20 recruits considered mediocre, sub par, or decent when compared to the competition in our league?:dunno:

Oh i know.  ive been logging the outcome of our recruiting classes since 2010.  I cant compare it to other schools because i haven't been following them as closely. 

14 hours ago, keesler said:

Is 50/50 on your program's top 20 recruits considered mediocre, sub par, or decent when compared to the competition in our league?:dunno:

I'm not going to take the time to rank Alabama's recruits, but I offer this as a comparison.  It's not to compare us to Alabama so much as it is to compare to a program who is successful and ask if attrition is something that automatically is alarming.  Since 2010, Alabama's 4 and 5 star guys lost to transfers or being dismissed.  If I've missed any, feel free to add:

Philip Sims, QB - 5 star
Alfy Hill, RB - 4 star
Dee Hart, RB - 4 star
Brent Calloway, ATH - 4 star
Corey Grant, RB - 4 star
Danny Woodson, WR - 4 star
Alvin Kamara, RB - 4 star
Dee Liner, DT - 4 star
Altee Tenpenny, RB - 4 star
Cooper Bateman, QB - 4 star
David Cornwell, QB - 4 star
Blake Barnett, QB - 5 star
BJ Emmons, RB - 4 star
Adonis Thomas, LB - 4 star
Shawn Burgess-Becker, ATH - 4 star
Chris Black, WR - 4 star
Maurice Smith, DB - 4 star
Tyren Jones, RB - 4 star
Jonathan Taylor, DT - 4 star
Eddie Williams, DB - 5 star
Tyler Hayes, LB - 4 star
Charles Baldwin, OL - 5 star

And that doesn't count a host of others such three other QBs:  Star Jackson (4 star), Philip Ely (3 star) and Alec Morris (3 star).  Or Duron Carter (3 star WR).  And I'm sure I'm missing a few.  Those were just the ones I saw at a glance.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm not going to take the time to rank Alabama's recruits, but I offer this as a comparison.  It's not to compare us to Alabama so much as it is to compare to a program who is successful and ask if attrition is something that automatically is alarming.  Since 2010, Alabama's 4 and 5 star guys lost to transfers or being dismissed.  If I've missed any, feel free to add:

Philip Sims, QB - 5 star
Alfy Hill, RB - 4 star
Dee Hart, RB - 4 star
Brent Calloway, ATH - 4 star
Corey Grant, RB - 4 star
Danny Woodson, WR - 4 star
Alvin Kamara, RB - 4 star
Dee Liner, DT - 4 star
Altee Tenpenny, RB - 4 star
Cooper Bateman, QB - 4 star
David Cornwell, QB - 4 star
Blake Barnett, QB - 5 star
BJ Emmons, RB - 4 star
Adonis Thomas, LB - 4 star
Shawn Burgess-Becker, ATH - 4 star
Chris Black, WR - 4 star
Maurice Smith, DB - 4 star
Tyren Jones, RB - 4 star
Jonathan Taylor, DT - 4 star
Eddie Williams, DB - 5 star
Tyler Hayes, LB - 4 star
Charles Baldwin, OL - 5 star

And that doesn't count a host of others such three other QBs:  Star Jackson (4 star), Philip Ely (3 star) and Alec Morris (3 star).  Or Duron Carter (3 star WR).  And I'm sure I'm missing a few.  Those were just the ones I saw at a glance.

graduate transfers count or no.

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

graduate transfers count or no.

I don't know.  I just assembled a quick list of those I knew who had left or been kicked off.  I don't think it's a significant number either way.

14 hours ago, keesler said:

Took a lot of creative license with this list.  Why are Dyer and Newton listed?  Dyer transferred before Gus became HC.  Are you lumping Gene's misfortunes with Gus'? Same with Westerman...transferred in Dec '12.  Trovon Reed never transferred, but graduated and is playing in the NFL.  So now we're down to 7 out of 20...care to stack that against bama or any other top program?

15 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't know.  I just assembled a quick list of those I knew who had left or been kicked off.  I don't think it's a significant number either way.

I was just wondering more so from the general stand point of attrition.  I would not count them personally as the obligation was filled and a degree was maintained.  I just don't believe I have seen it discussed

4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I was just wondering more so from the general stand point of attrition.  I would not count them personally as the obligation was filled and a degree was maintained.  I just don't believe I have seen it discussed

I would leave them in only because the list was supposedly a reflection of the coaching staff and "trends."  If a graduate doesn't want to stay, that could reflect on the coaches too I suppose.  Not that I agree with the logic, just following it to its natural conclusion.

God Dang Guys!

I made a freaking mistake on Reed excuse the hell outta me.

I didn't take creative license with that list, all I did was list Auburn's TOP 20 ranked players from 24/7 the list is the list so what does it matter who the coach was? And how the hell did my post lump anyone's misfortunes

I never once mentioned Bama in that entire post, so if someone chose to assemble a quick list of their attrition and divert the conversation from Auburn's it's not on me.

I really DGAS to see their top 20 list, or a list of their misfortunes.  

I simply asked if Auburn's attrition of +/-45-50% of our top 20 rated players was mediocre, sub-par, or the norm compared to the weekly competition Auburn faces every year in the SEC?

11 minutes ago, keesler said:

I never once mentioned Bama in that entire post, so if someone chose to assemble a quick list of their attrition and divert the conversation from Auburn's it's not on me.

I really DGAS to see their top 20 list, or a list of their misfortunes.  

I simply asked if Auburn's attrition of +/-45-50% of our top 20 rated players was mediocre, sub-par, or the norm compared to the weekly competition Auburn faces every year in the SEC?

And in that light, that's why I chose to list Bama's attrition in the same timeframe.  At least with one team, who is the best team in the league the last several years and is our main competition, it doesn't appear to be that out of line.  Attrition happens everywhere and Auburn isn't unusual.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

And in that light, that's why I chose to list Bama's attrition in the same timeframe.  At least with one team, who is the best team in the league the last several years and is our main competition, it doesn't appear to be that out of line.  Attrition happens everywhere and Auburn isn't unusual.

Ok, I'm glad to know that Auburn's attrition rate in our top 20 rated players is within the normal range when compared our competition.  

Archived