Byron Cowart

au_bsci_04

Byron Cowart did a lot for Auburn!!! Because of him we got Jeff Holland, J Davis and Ryan Davis!!! 2 of those 3 are major contributors for us this year and the other has been solid so far (minus the fumbling issues). So because of that I will always be grateful to ol Byron.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Will Muschamp did a lot for Auburn!!! Because of him we got Jeff Holland, J Davis and Ryan Davis!!!

FIFY.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2619064-how-will-muschamps-brief-stint-at-auburn-could-benefit-tigers-d-in-long-term.amp.html

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

FIFY.

BOOM AS WELL!!! WOOOOO!!!! If him and T Rob stayed one more year we would of finally got our first 5 star cornerback was my prediction........ But alas the drought goes on and my heart is hurt! lol

• 2 months later...

BREAKING: Byron Cowart is a Terp

Maryland has officially landed Auburn transfer Byron Cowart. The 6-foot-4, 250-pound prospect will enroll in January and has two years of eligibility remaining.

(What's the next big story at Maryland? Before you finish reading, take five seconds NOW to sign up for our FREE Terps newsletter. We'll deliver the latest big news to you!)

When news broke on Sept. 19 that the former five-star would leave Auburn, wide receiver coach Chris Beatty pounced on the opportunity for Maryland to add a pass-rusher to a defense line that struggled a season ago. 

Cowart visited Maryland as a high school senior, when he was rated the No. 1 recruit in the country by some services, thanks to then-offensive coordinator Mike Locksley's connections in Florida. But the Terps faded as his attention shifted to both Florida and Auburn. Cowart followed then-Florida head coach Will Muschamp to Auburn when the Gators let Muschamp go.

Under head coach DJ Durkin, Maryland’s interest eventually led to a November 10th official visit to College Park, where Cowart made the trip with his mentor throughout the recruiting process. After 48 hours on campus, the Terps left an impression for Cowart to come in and start day one for an ailing defensive line. With the addition of Cowart, Maryland could receive big news if senior defensive end Jesse Aniebonam returns for another year due to a medical waiver.

Cowart is currently enrolled at Hillsborough Community College (Fla.) but did not play football this fall. Out of high school, Cowart was ranked the seventh-best prospect in the country by 247Sports, third-best in Florida and the nation’s best strong-side defensive end.

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

How does he have two years remaining?

Interesting comments from the Terps notice....guess he did not play this year for AU at all.....and then took the same Juco route that Stidham did....got the academic work but did not play football so this year did not count and the year is his "sit out"......guess Md got the NCAA approval on that possibility before signing him and making the announcement the he was in position to start immediately.    

Hope it works out for him....and guess when Muschamp left AU that was it for Cowart's career on the plains?  

I wish it worked out for Cowart at AU but he brought Ryan Davis and Jeff Holland with him so I'll always be thankful for that

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Interesting comments from the Terps notice....guess he did not play this year for AU at all.....and then took the same Juco route that Stidham did....got the academic work but did not play football so this year did not count and the year is his "sit out"......guess Md got the NCAA approval on that possibility before signing him and making the announcement the he was in position to start immediately.    

Hope it works out for him....and guess when Muschamp left AU that was it for Cowart's career on the plains?  

But he did play for Auburn. Georgia Southern and Mercer games.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/byron-cowart-1.html

6 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

But he did play for Auburn. Georgia Southern and Mercer games.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/byron-cowart-1.html

Thanks...see his career was 14 games.....that's about one season isn't it...:-\

Well, this is disappointing. I guess all that story about needing to be near his mom was not necessarily true, huh? I guess he just wasn't the best fit for Auburn. Hope he's happy in Maryland. 

not sure why some people act surprised. We already knew he was transferring after the first week of the season. I would've liked to see what he could do at Troy or South Alabama. But I guess he thinks he's too good for a non P5 conference 

I'm more interested in seeing if he can do well at another p5 school not some mid major where he's physically bigger and faster than everyone like in HS. 

2 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Well, this is disappointing. I guess all that story about needing to be near his mom was not necessarily true, huh? I guess he just wasn't the best fit for Auburn. Hope he's happy in Maryland. 

Maybe his family moved to Maryland...................I kid I kid

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

Their site is incorrect. Cowart has one year of eligibility left. He probably has to sit next year, but maybe that can go as a calendar year and he could play after mid-September, I'm not certain about that.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Their site is incorrect. Cowart has one year of eligibility left. He probably has to sit next year, but maybe that can go as a calendar year and he could play after mid-September, I'm not certain about that.

He doesn’t have to sit out at all next year. This fact has already been cited by numerous news outlets.

Anyone can make a mistake but I'm thinking that Maryland checked this out pretty closely before making an offer . Still, it looks like they are counting on him to be on the field in 2018.  Taking a guy who could only play one year and even that, not play until 2019 seem to be a waste of a scholarship. :-\

7 hours ago, DAG said:

He doesn’t have to sit out at all next year. This fact has already been cited by numerous news outlets.

That leaves us with three possibilities:

1)  (The Most likely) The news outlets are wrong.

2) The transfer rule is an annual rule and he will be eligible one year after the date he last played for Auburn. That's as I stated above.

3) (Least likely) He got an NCAA waiver of the transfer rule.

If you can find out how it is that he's not going to have to sit out at all, please let me know by posting here. It would be an interesting thing to learn.

Archived