RunInRed

AU vs Mizzou - Weekly Presser

Recommended Posts





All sounds good, but we will see.

I don't buy that putting a <100% KP as the only running back against Mercer was "just how the game unfolded." It's a head scratcher for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CircleDrill said:

All sounds good, but we will see.

I don't buy that putting a <100% KP as the only running back against Mercer was "just how the game unfolded." It's a head scratcher for sure.

I think he/they get caught up in the current drive and game thinkin ok we'll get KP a couole TDs and 100yds. Make sure he gets a good rythm for where to run, whos blocking well, etc. but then when we kept giving it away they felt they had to put him out there to get those numbers and lead. Just couldnt ever get where they wanted. 

I dont agree with it but...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Auburn's Gus Malzahn said receiver Ryan Davis will get some practice time at quarterback, as he did last season. He was a high school QB.

and 

Malzahn says walk-on QB Devin Adams can run base offense. Would be an option if Stidham's helmet comes off & need a QB for a play.

Looks like Gus is going to stick to his plan to red shirt MW.  The man is consistent if nothing else.  Hope the only reason to replace JS is because he loses his helmet as the season goes on.  What else could go wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Auburn's Gus Malzahn said receiver Ryan Davis will get some practice time at quarterback, as he did last season. He was a high school QB.

and 

Malzahn says walk-on QB Devin Adams can run base offense. Would be an option if Stidham's helmet comes off & need a QB for a play.

Looks like Gus is going to stick to his plan to red shirt MW.  The man is consistent if nothing else.  Hope the only reason to replace JS is because he loses his helmet as the season goes on.  What else could go wrong?

Burn Willis' redshirt now!!! Why would he use Davis or Adams over Willis?!?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 1856 said:

Burn Willis' redshirt now!!! Why would he use Davis or Adams over Willis?!?

Because that's the plan and Gus always sticks to the plan, there is no other plan except the plan.  If plan A doesn't work, plan B is refer to plan A.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of what he says, I think if JS goes down for more than a week it's all MW from there on out. I would be okay with a Ryan Davis package in the wildcat. At least there's a threat of something other than a run right there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Regardless of what he says, I think if JS goes down for more than a week it's all MW from there on out. I would be okay with a Ryan Davis package in the wildcat. At least there's a threat of something other than a run right there.

The bolded part says it all concerning Gus' press confereces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

He wasn't holding anything back on Cowart. No coachspeak on that topic. Sounded mad. 

Bout time, refreshing to not hear the coach speak crap. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carlson has been lights out for 3 years, this off season Gus says he is gonna spend much more time with special teams.......................special teams have been less than stellar

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, 1856 said:

Burn Willis' redshirt now!!! Why would he use Davis or Adams over Willis?!?

He is going to play Adams if Stidham goes out for a play or two, or if we ever get a big enough lead on anyone he will play in mop up duty. Pray Stidham doesn't actually get injured, and we have to throw a true freshman in a tight game who has never taken a live snap in a college game. More genius roster management there Gus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Auburn's Gus Malzahn said receiver Ryan Davis will get some practice time at quarterback, as he did last season. He was a high school QB.

and 

Malzahn says walk-on QB Devin Adams can run base offense. Would be an option if Stidham's helmet comes off & need a QB for a play.

Looks like Gus is going to stick to his plan to red shirt MW.  The man is consistent if nothing else.  Hope the only reason to replace JS is because he loses his helmet as the season goes on.  What else could go wrong?

Sure. Why burn MWs redshirt to play mop up?  I understand it may help him get ready to play if needed, but that's Chips job in practice, right?  If it's just for a play here and there, keep the RS. Let Adams play in mop up. If Stidham gets so much as a sore thumb though, burn the shirt. I can see both sides of the argument. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Sure. Why burn MWs redshirt to play mop up?  I understand it may help him get ready to play if needed, but that's Chips job in practice, right?  If it's just for a play here and there, keep the RS. Let Adams play in mop up. If Stidham gets so much as a sore thumb though, burn the shirt. I can see both sides of the argument. 

I think we have to assume JS will get scuffed up for parts of games at least. It has never not happened. Gotta play Willis. No question. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Sure. Why burn MWs redshirt to play mop up?  I understand it may help him get ready to play if needed, but that's Chips job in practice, right?  If it's just for a play here and there, keep the RS. Let Adams play in mop up. If Stidham gets so much as a sore thumb though, burn the shirt. I can see both sides of the argument. 

There are several reasons for Gus to burn the red shirt, IMO.  The biggest being quality depth at the position.  We don't have it and how do we get it if he won't play his best back up (see the RB situation)?  Last year quality depth was a concern and Chip came from a school that lost it's top two QBs in the first few weeks of the season last year.  There was an article in which Chip mentioned he learned from that and would not repeat the mistake.  Hmmmm, who is running the offense with regards to personnel?  Mop up duty doesn't have to be unproductive.  Contrary to common believe, you can actually develop a QB during those periods in the game.  Your not running up the score, you are developing your talent for the future.

Another reason to burn MW's red shirt is if we don't, next year we are going to start the season with JS and nobody else that has taken a snap in a college game.  All I want from Gus is a little forethought.  If we get who is our target at QB for 2018, wouldn't it be nice to red shirt him and let MW play in a mop up role next year?

You mentioned practice; how many snaps in practice is MW going to get if Adams is the next man up and Davis is getting snaps too?  I really don't know the answer to this, but I'm guessing not many.  I can't read Gus' coach speak, he's all over the place, really can't believe a word he says and I find out what he is going to do on game day.  Ah, the life of a fan with Gus as our coach.

JMO, Gus will do what Gus will do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You mentioned practice; how many snaps in practice is MW going to get if Adams is the next man up and Davis is getting snaps too?  I really don't know the answer to this, but I'm guessing not many.  I can't read Gus' coach speak, he's all over the place, really can't believe a word he says and I find out what he is going to do on game day.  Ah, the life of a fan with Gus as our coach.

JMO, Gus will do what Gus will do.  

To be clear, Adams isn't the next man up.  Gus specifically called it out as he would come in if JS was out for a play or two.  If JS gets knocked out the first quarter and can't return, you can bet your bottom dollar that MW is coming in.  MW will be receiving back-up reps in practice and preparing like a starter, just as SW would have done had he still been on the team.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure you all actually watched the video - you should. MW is our #2 QB and will be a starter for our offense should anything happen to JS. There is no plan to redshirt him now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

To be clear, Adams isn't the next man up.  Gus specifically called it out as he would come in if JS was out for a play or two.  If JS gets knocked out the first quarter and can't return, you can bet your bottom dollar that MW is coming in.  MW will be receiving back-up reps in practice and preparing like a starter, just as SW would have done had he still been on the team.

I hope your right, the Missouri game would be the perfect game to do this if JS is out for awhile.  On the other hand, it would be a perfect game for MW to get some playing time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Linayus said:

Not sure you all actually watched the video - you should. MW is our #2 QB and will be a starter for our offense should anything happen to JS. There is no plan to redshirt him now.

Thanks for the advise, but I can't bring myself to listen to the man.  What do you want to bet, if JS isn't hurt, MW gets any playing time this year in preparation for next year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Thanks for the advise, but I can't bring myself to listen to the man.  What do you want to bet, if JS isn't hurt, MW gets any playing time this year in preparation for next year?

I can't say. I'm torn on the situation myself. I'd like to have MW here for 4 more years but I'd also like someone with experience. Can't really have both. lol

Edit: I say watch the video because their little blurbs are misleading a lot of times. I can understand not wanting to listen to the same ol' lines. :)

Edited by Linayus
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, djg0017 said:

Regardless of what he says, I think if JS goes down for more than a week it's all MW from there on out. I would be okay with a Ryan Davis package in the wildcat. At least there's a threat of something other than a run right there.

No.  Not the wildcat.  I absolutely loathe the wildcat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 1856 said:

No.  Not the wildcat.  I absolutely loathe the wildcat.

Me too. But mostly because of the way it's been utilized. I actually like the Tebow-jump-pass out of the wildcat on the goal line. But I wouldn't be offended if we totally scrapped it from the playbook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now