AU vs Mizzou - Weekly Presser

RunInRed

27 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

To be clear, Adams isn't the next man up.  Gus specifically called it out as he would come in if JS was out for a play or two.  If JS gets knocked out the first quarter and can't return, you can bet your bottom dollar that MW is coming in.  MW will be receiving back-up reps in practice and preparing like a starter, just as SW would have done had he still been on the team.

It is ludicrous to keep the redshirt until he is needed in game when Stidham gets hurt.  He needs to play in a game while we have Stidham healthy so that he has experience if and when his number gets called, as opposed to bringing him in under emergency situation (Stidham getting hurt)...

2 hours ago, 1856 said:

Burn Willis' redshirt now!!! Why would he use Davis or Adams over Willis?!?

Because it's one play. You don't burn a shirt to run a couple plays in a year. I'd like to see Willis but if they want to shirt him, that's not a good reason to burn it 

Mop up duty for us is handing the ball off, so if MW does not get to practice passing then there is no point to playing him. 

Also, Malzahn definitely used a strong word in describing Byron Cowart, saying he "quit". A little uncharacteristic from CGM.

5 hours ago, djg0017 said:

Regardless of what he says, I think if JS goes down for more than a week it's all MW from there on out. I would be okay with a Ryan Davis package in the wildcat. At least there's a threat of something other than a run right there.

I agree. I think we may all be shocked if JS goes out....or shocked if he doesn't go out at all this season! 

5 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Carlson has been lights out for 3 years, this off season Gus says he is gonna spend much more time with special teams.......................special teams have been less than stellar

He got engaged during the off season so I'm blaming that. 

If it is truly a one play type of thing where Stidham's helmet comes off, then sure, bring in the walk on.  But in meaningfull mop up duty like against GA Southern and I hope a few more times this season, it should have been or should be Willis.

wde

16 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

"If we keep improving" 

where exactly has there been improvement outside of Jarrett Stidham? 

I dont see where your concern is. Malzahn said we're improving, it must be happening. Take his word for it. You know, like when he said everybody will be available to play against Ga southern.

Although, if you watch this press conference it's the most honest and straight forward he's been since i can remember. It was shocking. He gave more info about a players status (kerryon) than he's done in a while and he was more specific about Byron leaving than I could believe I was hearing coming out of Malzahns mouth.

16 hours ago, alexava said:

You must give Willis as much mop up duty as possible now. SO HE WILL BE READY"AS SOON AS HE IS NEEDED".  Don't wait for JS to break his leg. 

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to Brandon Marcello (sp?) on Finescum yesterday, he believes MW will get in this week if we have a decent enough lead and get some meaningful snaps.  He also said that he did not see MW getting to actually RS because he would need some playing time in case JS gets hurt.

Speaking on the running game Gus talked about Kam Martin and Malik Mller. According to Gus and I quote, "Martin is a guy who we know can go in there and do some things and Malik Miller is a guy we've got a lot trust in too." Malzahn should have added, of course we don't ever intend to play them. I just hope KJ is actually healthy enough to return this weekend.

Archived