New softball assistant coach-es (Updated 9/21/17)

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/091917aak.html

Sept. 19, 2017

AUBURN, Ala.Gerry Glasco has been named an assistant coach for the Auburn softball program, head coach Mickey Dean announced Tuesday. Glasco spent the previous three seasons as an associate head coach at Texas A&M.

“I am extremely excited that Gerry is joining our staff,” Dean said. “I think he’s one of the top hitting coaches in the country and he will be a tremendous asset to our staff and to our program.”

A 10-year Southeastern Conference coaching veteran, Glasco has produced 11 All-Americans, 29 All-SEC honorees and 31 All-Region selections. Glasco’s teams have made 10 NCAA Tournament appearances, seven NCAA Super Regionals and have appeared in the Women’s College World Series three times.

“I am so excited to join one of the top softball programs in the country, in the best softball conference in the nation,” Glasco said. “Auburn is a school with tremendous recent softball success and historic, long-term athletic success overall.”

In three seasons at Texas A&M, Glasco was crucial to the offensive attack as the Aggies produced a slash line of .300/.400/.500. His clubs tallied 465 extra-base hits, including 213 home runs and scored 6.1 runs per game over that span.

Like Coach Dean, Glasco shares experience coaching at the professional level.

In the summer of 2014, Glasco led the USSSA Florida Pride as head coach to both a National Pro Fastpitch (NPF) regular season championship title and NPF Tournament championship title for the first time in Pride history. He also won the championship in 2017 with the Scrap Yard Dawgs with former Auburn player Kasey Cooper.

“I am excited to work under and learn from Coach Dean, who is absolutely one of the brightest minds in softball and an incredibly hard worker, who runs his program with both discipline and great integrity,” Glasco said. “Together, with the tremendous resources of Auburn Athletics, I have no doubt that we will compete for a national championship.”

Glasco joined the Aggies from the University of Georgia, where he spent three seasons as an assistant coach before being promoted to associate head coach after the 2011 season.

The Crab Orchard, Ill. native helped the Bulldogs to a 277-92 mark as the team hovered near the top of NCAA and SEC rankings in almost all offensive categories and set over 20 team offensive records. In 2014, the Bulldogs captured their first SEC Tournament Championship in program history.

His impact was immediately felt as the Bulldogs hit 26 home runs in 2008 before hitting 85 in 2009, his first season.

Glasco spent seven seasons as the assistant softball coach at Johnston City (Illinois) High School before taking his first collegiate job at Georgia, 1999-2004 and 2006-2008.

During his time at JCHS, Glasco founded the Illinois Southern Force Softball organization and served as the head coach of the Southern Force Gold from 2001-08.

Glasco graduated from Crab Orchard High School in 1976 where he lettered in baseball and basketball. He graduated from the University of Illinois with a degree in agricultural economics in 1980.

Glasco and his wife, Vickie, have three daughters, Tara, Erin and Geri Ann.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/092117aac.html

AUBURN, Ala. – Annie Smith has joined the Auburn softball program as an assistant coach, head coach Mickey Dean announced Thursday. Smith was most recently on the staff at LSU. “We’re excited to have Annie join our program,” Dean said. “She’s had the experience of coaching in the Southeastern Conference. She’s had experience as a head coach and was the coach of the year in her conference multiple times. I think she is a coach that the players will find it easy to relate to.” Smith comes to Auburn after stints at LSU, Georgia Southern, Mississippi State and Missouri where she coached seven All-Americans, 49 All-Conference selections and 36 All-Region honorees. Smith’s squads have been equally as impressive in the classroom, garnering 123 NFCA Academic Scholar-Athlete honors. “I am very excited for this opportunity to work with Coach Dean and Auburn University,” Smith said. “He has a great vision for the program. Auburn is a great university with a great softball program and in the best softball conference in the country.” Smith also boasts professional experience, as she was an assistant coach for the Chicago Bandits of the National Pro Fastpitch (NPF) league this past summer, where she guided former Auburn standout Emily Carosone. Before her brief stint with LSU, Smith served as the head coach at Georgia Southern, where she complied 176 wins and reached the NCAA Tournament twice. Smith and the Eagles captured the Southern Conference title in 2012 and in 2014. The Eagles also won the conference tournament in 2012 and 2013. For her efforts, Smith was honored as the conference’s coach of the year in 2012 and 2014. Smith currently stands as the quickest coach in Georgia Southern history to 100 wins, while her teams rewrote the record books for home runs, doubles and fielding percentage. She was instrumental in the development of the three-time conference pitcher of the year and the two-time freshman of the year in the league. Smith joined the Eagles from Mississippi State, where she spent five seasons as an assistant coach before being promoted to associate head coach following the 2007 season. The Manhattan, Kan. native helped the Bulldogs to 295 victories and six NCAA Regional appearances. She worked with three USA Softball National Team members and the back-to-back SEC Player of the Year in 2003 and 2004. Smith’s duties at Mississippi State primarily focused on offense and the outfield while also acting as the recruiting coordinator. Smith began her coaching career at Missouri where she started as a graduate assistant in 1996 before being elevated to assistant coach in 1999. While with the Tigers, she and the team made two NCAA Tournament appearances and won the Big 12 Conference title in 1997. Smith received her bachelor’s degree in history and psychology from Grinnell College where she was a captain on the softball team. She went on to earn a master’s degree from Missouri in health and exercise science with an emphasis in sports psychology.

Wow....interesting that a guy like CMD from out of the region could snag a guy from TAMU so quickly.   I like the looks of his resume.....we needed to beef up the hitting and seems he might be the guy to do it.

One of the the best pitching coaches as head coach, combined with one of the best hitting coaches in the country with the talent of that roster is a good thing. 

11 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

One of the the best pitching coaches as head coach, combined with one of the best hitting coaches in the country with the talent of that roster is a good thing. 

Yep.  This just keeps getting better and better.

Gerry teaches his hitters to be aggressive. The UGA teams in '09, '10, and '11 that he was on staff for could smash (think of a stacked lineup like the Carosone, Cooper, Rhodes lineups we had). Our hitters probably won't draw as many walks as they used to, but look for them to have the potential to crush pitches outside the zone. 

1 hour ago, all4AU said:

Gerry teaches his hitters to be aggressive. The UGA teams in '09, '10, and '11 that he was on staff for could smash (think of a stacked lineup like the Carosone, Cooper, Rhodes lineups we had). Our hitters probably won't draw as many walks as they used to, but look for them to have the potential to crush pitches outside the zone. 

Don't rule that out just yet. aTm was 3rd in walks in the SEC last year even with all the homers & extra base hits they got. Sounds like he teaches the girls to be aggressive as you said, specifically aggressive to pitches in their wheelhouse. Not passing on good ones like our girls did quite a bit last year. However not wildly aggressive as stereotyped for power hitters either.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Don't rule that out just yet. aTm was 3rd in walks in the SEC last year even with all the homers & extra base hits they got. Sounds like he teaches the girls to be aggressive as you said, specifically aggressive to pitches in their wheelhouse. Not passing on good ones like our girls did quite a bit last year. However not wildly aggressive as stereotyped for power hitters either.

Thanks...I think that with Clint, our ladies have been a bit picky about what was a strike..  While looking for walks, they took a lot of good pitches and were behind in the count quite a bit....and thus suffered a lot of strikeouts in the process.  

Clint had his style of play which was hard to argue with if you look at his success but sounding like the AU team this season will have a different style on offense.   Hoping the D is just as good however.

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks...I think that with Clint, our ladies have been a bit picky about what was a strike..  While looking for walks, they took a lot of good pitches and were behind in the count quite a bit....and thus suffered a lot of strikeouts in the process.  

Clint had his style of play which was hard to argue with if you look at his success but sounding like the AU team this season will have a different style on offense.   Hoping the D is just as good however.

In one of the interviews posted, Coach MD said defense would be the priority of practice.

6 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

In one of the interviews posted, Coach MD said defense would be the priority of practice.

tenor.gif

Top pitching coach (HC), top hitting coach and still has one more staff position to fill out correct? If so, one could guess a top defense assistant coach? Trifecta!!!

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

Wow....interesting that a guy like CMD from out of the region could snag a guy from TAMU so quickly.   I like the looks of his resume.....we needed to beef up the hitting and seems he might be the guy to do it.

I just wonder how MD got him to leave A&M

I'm excited by the hire of coach Dean and Gerry, as well as the recent baseball pitching coach. It appears we're doing good things in some offseason sports ie. Softball, Baseball, and Basketball ?. 

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I just wonder how MD got him to leave A&M

Just gave the vision for the program perhaps......but a change like that does make one wonder.  I'm guessing he was looking for a change...name had to be out there ???

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

As you say, it was hard to argue with his success, but the way our hitters took so many strikes drove me crazy.  If you're going to teach selectivity in the strike zone, you also better teach how to fight off pitches.  We took way too many called third strikes.

Out of the ashes rises...AU Softball. And quickly. Nice hire for sure.

2 hours ago, saminbama said:

As you say, it was hard to argue with his success, but the way our hitters took so many strikes drove me crazy.  If you're going to teach selectivity in the strike zone, you also better teach how to fight off pitches.  We took way too many called third strikes.

Umps are not good enough or consistent enough to be sure about what might be called  a  strike....especially for the third one.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Just gave the vision for the program perhaps......but a change like that does make one wonder.  I'm guessing he was looking for a change...name had to be out there ???

He doesn't exactly have a track record for staying in one place very long either.  Although he was at Georgia for 7 years prior to going to Texas A&M

On 9/19/2017 at 8:25 PM, AU64 said:

Resources and Reputation make that possible.

AUBURN, Ala. – Annie Smith has joined the Auburn softball program as an assistant coach, head coach Mickey Dean announced Thursday. Smith was most recently on the staff at LSU.

“We’re excited to have Annie join our program,” Dean said. “She’s had the experience of coaching in the Southeastern Conference. She’s had experience as a head coach and was the coach of the year in her conference multiple times. I think she is a coach that the players will find it easy to relate to.”

Smith comes to Auburn after stints at LSU, Georgia Southern, Mississippi State and Missouri where she coached seven All-Americans, 49 All-Conference selections and 36 All-Region honorees. Smith’s squads have been equally as impressive in the classroom, garnering 123 NFCA Academic Scholar-Athlete honors.

“I am very excited for this opportunity to work with Coach Dean and Auburn University,” Smith said. “He has a great vision for the program. Auburn is a great university with a great softball program and in the best softball conference in the country.”

Smith also boasts professional experience, as she was an assistant coach for the Chicago Bandits of the National Pro Fastpitch (NPF) league this past summer, where she guided former Auburn standout Emily Carosone.

Before her brief stint with LSU, Smith served as the head coach at Georgia Southern, where she complied 176 wins and reached the NCAA Tournament twice. Smith and the Eagles captured the Southern Conference title in 2012 and in 2014. The Eagles also won the conference tournament in 2012 and 2013.

For her efforts, Smith was honored as the conference’s coach of the year in 2012 and 2014.

Smith currently stands as the quickest coach in Georgia Southern history to 100 wins, while her teams rewrote the record books for home runs, doubles and fielding percentage. She was instrumental in the development of the three-time conference pitcher of the year and the two-time freshman of the year in the league.

Smith joined the Eagles from Mississippi State, where she spent five seasons as an assistant coach before being promoted to associate head coach following the 2007 season.

The Manhattan, Kan. native helped the Bulldogs to 295 victories and six NCAA Regional appearances. She worked with three USA Softball National Team members and the back-to-back SEC Player of the Year in 2003 and 2004.

Smith’s duties at Mississippi State primarily focused on offense and the outfield while also acting as the recruiting coordinator.

Smith began her coaching career at Missouri where she started as a graduate assistant in 1996 before being elevated to assistant coach in 1999.

While with the Tigers, she and the team made two NCAA Tournament appearances and won the Big 12 Conference title in 1997.

Smith received her bachelor’s degree in history and psychology from Grinnell College where she was a captain on the softball team. She went on to earn a master’s degree from Missouri in health and exercise science with an emphasis in sports psychology. 

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/092117aac.html

Archived