New softball assistant coach-es (Updated 9/21/17)

Looks like no holdovers from previous staff.

Probably good 'cause in my view at least,  all of them have a bit of smudge on them ...even if not directly involved with the issues or allegations.

A new day...

Not meant to reflect on her ability to be an asset to AU softball .....she was not rehired after the 2017 season at Georgia Southern.  Her position at LSU was assisting in some of their camps.  She did have some good years at Georgia Southern as a head coach and clearly has experience as an assistant at a couple of SEC schools and respected enough to help with one of the professional teams. Coach Dean does not strike me as someone who would make a hire if he did not feel it would benefit his program.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:44 PM, AU64 said:

Umps are not good enough or consistent enough to be sure about what might be called  a  strike....especially for the third one.

The vast majority of umpires at the travel ball, high school and collegiate levels are much more competent than fans will ever acknowledge.  Speaking from experience the game is much different behind the plate than it is as an observer.  Even the pitch trackers on television are suspect in my opinion.  Every umpire has a slightly unique zone.  All teams and fans should expect is for an umpire to be consistent for both teams within a game.  If that goal is met then everyone should be satisfied, and pitchers and hitters will adjust accordingly.

21 minutes ago, jimpecht said:

The vast majority of umpires at the travel ball, high school and collegiate levels are much more competent than fans will ever acknowledge.  Speaking from experience the game is much different behind the plate than it is as an observer.  Even the pitch trackers on television are suspect in my opinion.  Every umpire has a slightly unique zone.  All teams and fans should expect is for an umpire to be consistent for both teams within a game.  If that goal is met then everyone should be satisfied, and pitchers and hitters will adjust accordingly.

Appreciate your view but to a great extent I respect the ability of our players to recognize what is a strike.

"unique" strike zone?   .....you can't be serious...and a hitter is supposed to figure that out in the heat of a ball game?

I accept the difficulty of the job but in general the consistency of SEC officiating is not that good.JMO

Nice.  It also gives the girls a female on the coaching staff to confide in if they so choose.  Not saying that is why she was hired, but a good thing nonetheless.  I love Auburn Softball is put into such high regard from outsiders.  Now let's finish this thing off and beat the Sooners. 

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Nice.  It also gives the girls a female on the coaching staff to confide in if they so choose.  Not saying that is why she was hired, but a good thing nonetheless.  I love Auburn Softball is put into such high regard from outsiders.  Now let's finish this thing off and beat the Sooners. 

A reminder that the director of softball operations is female....and in some trouble perhaps for not handling some things correctly with some players.

As everyone is well aware now...I hope...you can't take anything for granted.   Looks like CMD has a first class staff.

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Appreciate your view but to a great extent I respect the ability of our players to recognize what is a strike.

"unique" strike zone?   .....you can't be serious...and a hitter is supposed to figure that out in the heat of a ball game?

I accept the difficulty of the job but in general the consistency of SEC officiating is not that good.JMO

I'm totally serious.  No umpire calls a text book strike zone.  It's not humanly possible.  Differences in perspective and judgment between umpires leads to minor differences in strike zones.  Why do you think that in the major leagues some umpires are known as pitcher's umpires while others don't tend to call pitches on the black or in the high or low edges of the zone?  How does a player figure out the zone during the game?  Simple.  Because a good umpire will be consistent within the entire game.  For example a pitch at the knees with the edge of the ball catching the black is called a strike in the 1st inning, 2nd inning, 3rd, inning etc.  The problem occurs when strike zones are inconsistent within games, and it's even worse if one team is getting the benefit of a certain pitch within the zone but the other team isn't.  This is what leads to arguments and ejections. 

The other interesting thing is that even the rulebooks don't specify strike zones that are applied within games.  For instance the USA Softball (formerly ASA) rulebook specifies the fast pitch strike zone as being from the top of the batter's knees to their armpits.  Some umpires may get away with that zone in low level youth ball.  But in any competitive game calling strikes at the armpits would result in serious issues in game management. 

Jimp....good explanations...but in the SEC inconsistent strike zones are a way of life and hitters need to be more aggressive in defending the plate.

AU batters took far too many called strikes...looking for a walk or looking for a perfect pitch.

I expect umps are scouted too...but still, their strike zones are often not consistent from one pitch to the next...much less from one time at bat to the next.

18 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Not meant to reflect on her ability to be an asset to AU softball .....she was not rehired after the 2017 season at Georgia Southern.  Her position at LSU was assisting in some of their camps.  She did have some good years at Georgia Southern as a head coach and clearly has experience as an assistant at a couple of SEC schools and respected enough to help with one of the professional teams. Coach Dean does not strike me as someone who would make a hire if he did not feel it would benefit his program.

Part of not being retained at GSU probably has a lot to do with the University of Ga system combined Armstrong St with Georgia Southern starting this year. They had two successful programs and one had to be eliminated. I would imagine it was cheaper to keep a coach coming over from a DII school versus Smith. 

19 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Any information/guess as to who coaches catchers and infielders?

Logic would dictate one of Glasco or Smith would coach the outfielder & the other coach the infielders. Not sure if Dean will do a 3rd volunteer coach like Clint did.

21 minutes ago, warladytigers said:

If true, would seem to me to be discriminatory hiring practice.  IMO trying to use the reason for non-selection of a candidate based on sex is a no-no!

I expect that someone would have to complain about not getting hired to make that an offense....:dunno:

Meanwhile...Looks like an impressive staff.

Not very smart to ask or publicize the fact.  I am not a lawyer but asking a player their preference would not violate any EEOC laws, I wouldn't think.  This does not mean the selection process was limited to males.  I am sure anybody who applied for the position would have been considered.  The players are not involved in making a hire. 

Thanks A4E....everyone around AU is ...or should be gun shy about anything that even hints of something like this....but guess I can also see the point about asking players after the Corey affair.   JMO but as noted above.....expect AU was going to hire the best person they could get no matter what but maybe wanted to know if there would be any resistance. 

Meanwhile....things have been awfully quiet on the media front as regards the Title IX allegations.....looks like ESPN has moved along to other more important things.....like the President's problems with several  professional athletes. :)   Thank goodness.

5 hours ago, around4ever said:

Not very smart to ask or publicize the fact.  I am not a lawyer but asking a player their preference would not violate any EEOC laws, I wouldn't think.  This does not mean the selection process was limited to males.  I am sure anybody who applied for the position would have been considered.  The players are not involved in making a hire. 

What asking does, is open the door for accusations of sex being considered as a factor in the decision making process. I have been through a bunch of training on this and have been a close observer of several cases. Things that sound nit-picky out in the world can turn into huge problems in a hearing setting.

It's starting to look like we might have dodged the first bullet. Now we're in jeopardy again.

On 9/22/2017 at 3:01 PM, AU9377 said:

removed content

FTR this must be tempered a bit by remembering Phillip is JJ's mouth piece quite often. The above could be true but it also could just be something JJ told Phillip to write. Also, in the future @AU9377 please don't post stuff from Phillip's For Your Eyes Only pieces onto AU Family. That is a VIP service article for AUC subscribers. It's against their & our rules to post VIP content here. If you happen to got the info somewhere else that is public please always post the link.

Good individual podcast with both new assistants linked via the Auburn Athletics Softball twitter page.  Glasco talks about his hitting philosophy which had some interesting aspects.  Listing to Annie Smith, it seems that they are all currently involved in recruiting.  Both are worth a listen IMO.

Archived