Atlanta United

McLoofus

Any other United supporters out there? Quite honestly, what we have going here is as exciting and real as any sports experience I've been part of, Auburn football included. And it's just the first season. 

Put it this way: this team made Bobby Dodd one of the best stadiums in the country.

Here's a nice little intro that MLS put out. 

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Lions baby....Purple rules ..........................all kidding aside nice video and Atl United has done very well this season.

Actually a nice and nasty little rivalry brewing already. Me likey. 

16 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Atlanta has a very solid youth soccer culture.  Will be interesting to see how the pro team affects/interacts with the youth clubs.

i assume they will have an academy program or do they already?

Yep, they do. Sending 3 kids to the U17 World Cup. Only 1 of them is currently in the youth academy but the other 2 are products, I believe (I think the YA got going before this season). 

Arthur Blank is *very* invested in growing the sport at the youth level. His son plays college ball at Elon. Uncle Arthur has been absolutely amazing. Best owner in American professional sports. 

My daughter has played against some of those kids that are starting to show up on the national teams.  Has a couple of girls she's played with that are coming over there to play on the ecnl teams.  There is some pretty good girls youth soccer here in the south.  I've enjoyed watching some of these kids.  Will know a handful of kids signing with auburn in a few months.

33 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

My daughter has played against some of those kids that are starting to show up on the national teams.  Has a couple of girls she's played with that are coming over there to play on the ecnl teams.  There is some pretty good girls youth soccer here in the south.  I've enjoyed watching some of these kids.  Will know a handful of kids signing with auburn in a few months.

That's awesome! Does she have any aspirations of continuing to play after high school?

My kid sister played with a girl out of Birmingham named Kat Reddick several years ago. She went on to play with UNC, I think, and the USWNT. I was playing indoor one night at the facility out there on 280 and heard quite a bit of noise on the other field. Went over there during a break and she was out there completely owning a field full of men. And they weren't scrubs, either. 

My sister got a scholarship to Mississippi College in Jackson. Certainly not to be confused with Ole Miss, or even Mississippi State. Suffice it to say that it wasn't really her scene and she ended up transferring.

My little girl, soon to be 3, has shown and interest and slightly more aptitude than I expected. I won't force it on her, but I'm hopeful. It's partly selfish, but I'm also a huge believer in the many positive benefits that team sports hold for girls off the field in addition to the physical aspect. And the first time I see my baby girl score a goal... well, I'll be playing with house money after that.

My daughter has gotten a lot out of it.  She was a 4 year ODP player but has simply had enough.  She's Not playing club this fall but will play her senior high school season.  We did a little bit of the recruiting scene but she never embraced it.  It was too "big" for her.  She got some interest but quite frankly she wants to go to auburn.  She'd have to work to the peak of her ability to play at a top 25 program.  (The biased dad in me thinks she could, but she doesn't have the "want to")

the 00 age group coming out of Alabama is as good or better than any age prior.  I've watched these kids go toe to toe in games with the ODP programs in Texas, Florida, Georgia and NC.  My kid never sniffed the ODP region teams, so I'm not as familiar, but I think the region 3 ODP team (which is the southeast region of the 4 national regions) has consistently been one of the top 2 within the 00 age.

my kid played with kids going all over the place and the percentage of kids that quit college soccer or transfer is pretty high.

The dynamics of college soccer reminds me a lot of college baseball.

its been fun to watch, but honestly, my interest has waned as my daughters' interest has.

alabama produces some quality players.

That circuit takes a lot out of a kid and makes it hard to have a normal life, that's for sure. 

Agreed about talent in the SE. "We" have caught up to some other regions that have focused more on the sport over the years. 

I can't wait to get back to Atlanta for good so I can participate! It's been phenomenal the past few times I've been in the city to see how many Atlanta United flags are out and about.

15 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

I can't wait to get back to Atlanta for good so I can participate! It's been phenomenal the past few times I've been in the city to see how many Atlanta United flags are out and about.

It's surreal. It's seriously like a dream. I haven't felt remotely like this since 2010, except now I live in the city where it's happening, and the entire spectrum of Atlanta is represented at the matches. The best of multiple cultures is on display and intertwined. It's so inclusive and diverse. And fun.

Best part is, the team plays a super fun brand of soccer and they're winning their asses off. 3rd in the division, knocking on the door of a bye and home field advantage. With the Falcons looking good and Auburn possibly turning a corner, it's turning into a damned fun fall. 

(We'll revisit Arsenal and my fantasy teams another time...)

Archived