Pat Dye: As of right now, 4 more losses ...

RunInRed

More from Coach Pat Dye:

• I still think we've got a chance but we're going to have to clean up the mess (on offense)
  • We need to find a way to get Stidham to run the ball on the zone-read
  • Wide Receivers talent is there
  • Offensive Line has been sporadic at best
  • Defensively, we're good enough to stay in any ball game as long as the offense is doing their part

The tape is here ... fast-forward to the 32:00 minute mark if you don't want to listen to the whole thing.

https://d2mfmz794ch99j.cloudfront.net/shows/20SEP17 Web Show.mp3

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to argue otherwise. Quite a drop from saying this was the most talented team AU has had.
Of course talent wise he could be correct.

I think this is pretty accurate.  Hopefully, our fortune will change but I wouldn't be surprised if this team goes 8-4 or 7-5 on the season. 

I tend to agree 100%.  The only one of the 4 I think we have a chance against is LSU.

Moves need to be made now at levels higher than Malzahn to change the culture of Auburn football.  Otherwise, we as fans need to accept that our future is that of a 2nd rate program.

1 hour ago, countoff said:

I tend to agree 100%.  The only one of the 4 I think we have a chance against is LSU.

Moves need to be made now at levels higher than Malzahn to change the culture of Auburn football.  Otherwise, we as fans need to accept that our future is that of a 2nd rate program.

Already have accepted it long time ago...smh

10 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Already have accepted it long time ago...smh

And this is a problem. 

We should NEVER accept being average or a 2nd rate program. We have far to talented of a roster for that.

I'm not sure I would completely agree with Coach on this one, not with this defense. But I think Coach just might be using some psychology on the guys with the terms "right now" and "expect to get better." His way of calling them out to get going on the offensive side. We'll see soon if they do just that.

3 hours ago, around4ever said:

With all due respect, shut up Coach. 

It's Dye. May as well be asking a zebra to put away its stripes.  That said, I hate hearing this.  Dye isn't in control of AU football, but with him saying this I feel for the first time that rumblings from those who matter where Malzahn is concerned are truly underway.

You have to actually listen to his comments to understand the context.  Those who have followed the Auburn program for a long time will remember that Coach Dye has always been this way.  We are in a tough division of football and the Alabama's, Georgia's, LSU's, and (this year) Miss St. will eat you up if the players and coaches do not bring their A game to the field.  We have not brought our A game to the field (God I hope that wasn't our A game).  As well as our defense is playing, you simply cannot win against those teams without some resemblance of an offense.

Coach Dye has never been afraid to say the truth.  The good coaches never are afraid to say the truth.  Can you imagine what Nick Saban would say to the players, coaches, and fans if he were the head coach of our team?  It would not be much different than Coach Dye.

Other old timers out there!!  Can any of you ever recall Coach Dye saying, "Well we had a good week of practice"?

Coach Dye is too old to coach and maybe he sometimes is a little too honest, but I miss his attitude and commitment to excellence.  It is too bad the younger crowd on this board did not experience the transition from Barfield to Dye and the coach Dye years at Auburn.

I very much respect what our "ole ball coach" has to say.....right now we probably wouldn't beat UGA....but later on I think we can. Neither LSU or UGA has looked impressive to me.

Also I was talking to my brother about Miss St early this year and I predicted them to be a great team....won money off the LSU game..They will also beat UGA this weekend. AND>........Vandy is gonna give Bama fits.

Based solely on the quote... he didn't say we'd have four losses by season's end. He said if we played each of them right now, which we're not, we'd lose. Hence the "we'll get better part." He may think that, but that's not what this statement says. Could be his honest opinion, or it could be a call-out like he did years ago by saying Georgia "wasn't man enough to beat alabama." With Dye, you never really know.

8 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

The most talented Auburn team ever...

Dye had more talented teams than this one. The '04 team was more talented than this one. For the most talented ever, you'd have to give that to the '57 national champs. I didn't see them play but reading about them and seeing who those players were gives the "most talented" cup to them hands down.

26 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Dye had more talented teams than this one. The '04 team was more talented than this one. For the most talented ever, you'd have to give that to the '57 national champs. I didn't see them play but reading about them and seeing who those players were gives the "most talented" cup to them hands down.

giphy.gif

Well, this can be interpreted two ways.  A call to action for the team and Gus to start improving as Dye mentioned earlier in the year that this was the most talented team Auburn has ever seen; or a signal of the PTB distancing themselves from the current staff.  Time will tell.

Bottom line is we don't know how this thing will play out and neither does coach Dye.  Either Gus figures this thing out quick or we end up with yet another 4 or 5 loss season and more than likely a coaching change.  No way to know at this point.  Gus's track record would indicate the latter but we can all see there is enough talent on this team that if the coaches could just figure some things out offensively its not out of the question the season could be successful.  My question is though, why do we keep having to get 3 and 4 games into a season to figure things out?  At what point do we expect our coach to have a team ready to go from game 1?  If we end up turning it around and going say 9-3 and we beat at least one of LSU, UGA and UAT is that good enough in year 5?  Do any of us really think it will be any better next year?  This is what bothers me most.  Gus may save himself once again but are we ever going to get over the hump with him?

When the high and mighty turds swore they would never play a game at auburn dye made them eat crow and whipped their ass. he won huge respect from me so if he wants to ramble I gladly give him a pass.

Archived