Pat Dye: As of right now, 4 more losses ...

RunInRed

11 hours ago, CR said:

Hard to argue otherwise. Quite a drop from saying this was the most talented team AU has had.
Of course talent wise he could be correct.

It's not a drop really.  Most talented team he has scene is just not performing.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Well, this can be interpreted two ways.  A call to action for the team and Gus to start improving as Dye mentioned earlier in the year that this was the most talented team Auburn has ever seen; or a signal of the PTB distancing themselves from the current staff.  Time will tell.

It's both

28 minutes ago, G8orH8or said:

I love Coach Dye but, I wish he'd divest himself of Auburn Football and keep his opinions to himself. His meddling in and around the program has not been helpful

I'm fine with him having his opinions, but I've heard he's still at the complex a lot. This doesn't seem to be in any way helpful to the current staff or players. I don't see the purpose of him saying this right now with the current access he has. If he had distanced himself from the program and was just giving his opinion, that would be one thing. But if he's around these coaches and players as much as I've heard he still is, it seems wrong unless he's saying the same things to them when he's interacting with them.

6 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

It's Dye. May as well be asking a zebra to put away its stripes.  That said, I hate hearing this.  Dye isn't in control of AU football, but with him saying this I feel for the first time that rumblings from those who matter where Malzahn is concerned are truly underway.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Dye had more talented teams than this one. The '04 team was more talented than this one. For the most talented ever, you'd have to give that to the '57 national champs. I didn't see them play but reading about them and seeing who those players were gives the "most talented" cup to them hands down.

This. Dye has seen more talented teams than we have this year. Now we have loads of talent and should be undefeated but Dye has never been a fan of Gus and this is not the most talented team he has seen at Auburn. Like Mikey said the 04 team had 4 1st round picks. We are missing talent or have unexperienced talent at key positions. We need a reliable wr that will catch the ball and get open at key moments. If we could go back and get Darvin Adams and Greg Robinson we would be set. I could also make an argument as for a RT, but we need a player to step up at WR and our LT to start performing like he is capable. I think Darius Slayton is capable of stepping up at wr and Kyle Davis and NCM have major talent they are just young and coaching is an issue for the wr position. As for Dye I want him to be around the program as much as possible. He only wants what is best for Auburn and has proven that over the years. 

As most of you know, I'm no on the Gus Bus but....Former Coach Dye needs to stick with growing his Japanese Maples and drinking his whiskey.

Sounds to me like Dye is trying to hang Gus himself.

Saying that this is the most talented football team he's ever seen did no favors to Gus given that Dye's seen more than one undefeated seasons at Auburn. And then saying that we are not good enough to beat four other teams right now after saying Auburn has the most talented team he's seen is basically burying Gus. 

Gus, don't send that man a Christmas card. 

8 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

This. Dye has seen more talented teams than we have this year. Now we have loads of talent and should be undefeated but Dye has never been a fan of Gus and this is not the most talented team he has seen at Auburn. Like Mikey said the 04 team had 4 1st round picks. We are missing talent or have unexperienced talent at key positions. We need a reliable wr that will catch the ball and get open at key moments. If we could go back and get Darvin Adams and Greg Robinson we would be set. I could also make an argument as for a RT, but we need a player to step up at WR and our LT to start performing like he is capable. I think Darius Slayton is capable of stepping up at wr and Kyle Davis and NCM have major talent they are just young and coaching is an issue for the wr position. As for Dye I want him to be around the program as much as possible. He only wants what is best for Auburn and has proven that over the years. 

23, You're pretty close to the team/players.....Is it true Coach Dye hangs out in the facilities, around the coaches & players on a regular basis?  

I have my doubts about that, I think his age, health and pre-occupation with his farm would prevent him from being a fixture around the football complex.  

And honestly, I don't know how he could walk the halls and not poke his head in a coaches office and ask him what the hell they were thinking when they failed to make adjustments in the play calling, alignments, etc. in the Clemson game.  He's pretty out spoken, I doubt he's mellowed to the point that he wouldn't call a coach to the carpet out of frustration.

2 hours ago, CountStandya said:

I very much respect what our "ole ball coach" has to say.....right now we probably wouldn't beat UGA....but later on I think we can. Neither LSU or UGA has looked impressive to me.

Also I was talking to my brother about Miss St early this year and I predicted them to be a great team....won money off the LSU game..They will also beat UGA this weekend. AND>........Vandy is gonna give Bama fits.

Vandy may shut down a few Bama drives throughout the game but by the 4th  will be pummelled into submission.

36 minutes ago, selias said:

As most of you know, I'm no on the Gus Bus but....Former Coach Dye needs to stick with growing his Japanese Maples and drinking his whiskey.

I  wish that was my life.

People on here want to bang on coach dye and yet they trash this team a lot worse than coach dye ever thought of doing. Dye might be trying to fire the team up unlike others on here that trash the team....often to the point I think they enjoy it.

How much failure or standard shrinking is due to two-a-days being cut, and other things that empower students and players more than ever before? It seems like most coaches have down periods of 3-6 years between good QB's. Auburn is as good as Ohio State, and if they were in the Big Ten would go 10-2. I think 8-4 but second in the West is decent. Do you really want a restart? 

17 minutes ago, WarPigSooie said:

How much failure or standard shrinking is due to two-a-days being cut, and other things that empower students and players more than ever before? It seems like most coaches have down periods of 3-6 years between good QB's. Auburn is as good as Ohio State, and if they were in the Big Ten would go 10-2. I think 8-4 but second in the West is decent. Do you really want a restart? 

8-4 is not acceptable.

25 minutes ago, WarPigSooie said:

8-4 in a 12 game regular season is NOT considered decent at Auburn.

Auburn is not as good as Ohio State, there's a wide margin between the quality of coaching alone.

I personally do not want a restart with the entire coaching staff.  It's ALL on Gus though  - he has his staff, his players, his QB staff, and he finally has a defense to pull it's share of the load....there are no excuses left in the bag, just get it done!

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

I personally do not want a restart with the entire coaching staff.  It's ALL on Gus though  - he has his staff, his players, his QB staff, and he finally has a defense to pull it's share of the load....there are no excuses left in the bag, just get it done!

This is how I feel. Let the season play out and let's see what happens. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

I don't get the joke. You mean 20/20?

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Hindsight is 50/50

Young whipper snappers. Flies over their heads.  Pat Dye is the Yogi Berra of Auburn.  Two google searches now or ask Golf, the old school google.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

I don't get the joke. You mean 20/20?

That's a direct quote from Dye after one of his losses, I think one of those bad ones to UTenn back in the day

6 minutes ago, fredst said:

That's a direct quote from Dye after one of his losses, I think one of those bad ones to UTenn back in the day

Oh gotcha. Yeah, I don't know Dye's quotes any more than Dye knows where he left his pants. 

37 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Oh gotcha. Yeah, I don't know Dye's quotes any more than Dye knows where he left his pants. 

Pants.jpg

13 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

And this is a problem. 

We should NEVER accept being average or a 2nd rate program. We have far to talented of a roster for that.

Yep...I was almost certain that this year would change all of this but was wrong... Again. It's like we have the Gus curse and won't be rid of it until he's gone and that just seems like it will never happen...I know it will but it just seems like it won't. This team should be doing big things.I'm afraid as long he's the coach we might as well accept it.

Archived