Offense and Defense....What would you rather have?

CountStandya

Over the last two coaches here at Auburn, we seem to have to choose between bad defense and bad offense.

If you had to choose one of the two which would you choose.

Now that I have seen both in action, I would choose a good offense.

I choose better offense for the following reason's

1) It's a lot more fun to watch

2) Even if your D is bad the opposing offense can screw themselves up...fumble, INT....incomplete pass...fall down...penalty.

3) It gives your team more hype and attention

4) You always have hope that you can "come back" even when your behind a good bit.

I agree. This day and age it has to be offense. The other offenses are too good it's too much to ask a D to hold the opponent to under a few scores with an anemic offense.

I mean when we are losing 14-6 to Clemson and 13-7 to UGA and games like that I feel absolutely hopeless during the game that we will be able to overcome the deficit. Those leads felt like 20 points in the moment because we couldn't even get a damn 1st down. Did anyone think as the  Clemson game unfolded that even if we were going to somehow score we'd also be able to make a 2 point conversion??? Crossing the goal line twice in that game seemed like a pipe dream lol.

Now, when we had a great offense I never felt like we were out of it no matter how many points our D gave up because we could score a lot and in a hurry. And on D all it takes is one big play to swing things. But when our O has looked so bad you pretty much know we aren't going to magically string together a good drive after an entire game of looking clueless.

I guess it depends on what defense you're talking about.    If it's a defense that's good but doesn't get turnovers, then I'm for a great offense.    If it's a defense that scores points and doesn't let the other team score, I'm for a great defense 

In the past, I would've said a great defense. With the way things are now, I, unfortunately, will have to say a great offense.

Tough question.  I would almost say defense though because I remember how frustrating it was to have a lead or to have just scored and then watch the opposing offense march right down the field and score on us.  It became tiresome and you almost dreaded having a lead at all.  At least a good defense gives you a chance even if its remote.  I mean even with how horrid our offense was against Clemson it would have take just ONE deep pass or once tipped ball for a pick six to have us right there so I guess I would go defense. 

I want and expect BOTH also. I don't even like entertaining the mindset of having to chose one or the other. I believe we have the talent and athletes on the roster right now to have Both.

I have always accepted that to win championships one must have a stellar defense, good special teams and a good enough offense. What I don't understand is why the lights go out on offense when we finally get a stellar defense? Three years ago I never would have believed that we would become so one dimensional on offense and can't score in the red zone. Scoring a point a minute, all we needed was a stellar defense. Why can't we retain this up and down the field offense AND have a stellar defense? Back to the question: Defense.

16 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Defense. A great offense with no defense will never win a championship. On the other hand, I've seen a few above average (not great) offenses win championships will a stellar defense. 

Almost won in 2013 with a great offense and an average defense. Complete opposite this season of course. Really does seem like we're cursed.

Archived