Worth Replacing Gus?

ToomersStreet

20 minutes ago, keesler said:

No disrespect, and I hope I'm not being a jackass ....BUT, what the hell does Nick Saban have to do with Gus' inability to field a decent, productive offense?  What impact does Saban have on Auburn's player development, fundamental training plan, roster management, offensive scheme, and game prep or play-calling?  What influence has he had on Herb Hand putting a half-way decent oline on the field that can execute, protect the QB and do their freaking job?  

Auburn's "issues" aren't Saban and just because he retires won't mean Gus will lead AU to miraculously solve the equation and be able to take the upper hand in the SEC West, beat a highly ranked P5 opponent (Clemson/Oklahoma/Wisconsin), or kick UGA's ass on the reg.>:(

I keep seeing this s*** about waiting till Saban retires, stick with a mediocre HC that is more than likely in over his freaking head in addition to being stubborn as a Missouri mule.  When the issues with the program, the attention to detail, the willingness to evolve and adjust have absolutely nothing to do with Saban being employed across the state.

Do people think Gus is so frightened and shell shocked under the tremendous pressure that his ass has is tighter than a snare drum and he can't make his team better all because of Saban?

So, and i can only speak for myself, but IMO the "Saban Problem" I THINK really affects Jacobs and the Boosters thinking.  Not Gus.  I think that the people that have the money and the people who make  the decisions, their judgment is directly affected by Saban.  Really I think Auburns biggest problem is Jay Jacobs an his Love for Auburn.  I believe it gets in his way to make good decisions.  

And I think Gus will never be able to  get over  himself and his offense for more than a game or two.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, keesler said:

New AD's usually don't make drastic/quick decisions about coaches when they're new to the job.  They have to get a feel for the program, assess the inner workings and administrative systems in place in the entire department and AU has a huge Athletic Department from a personnel standpoint, huge.  IMHO, replacing the head football coach will not be the first item on a new AD's agenda, he'll have to do his own audit, assessment, and evaluation of every program and coach on staff.  Firing/hiring a head football coach at any P5 program is serious stuff that can't be made on a whim.  And to expect a new AD to make those decisions right off the bat is expecting too much.

IMHO, "if" Jacobs retires (Auburn rarely just flat out fires people - too much negativity) and a new AD is hired, then CGM will be at the helm for another full season.  It'd be hard to terminate a football coach that wins 8 games a year and gets his team to bowl games & the revenue they generate when you barely know the man.

@keesler for the record I agree 100% with this. 

39 minutes ago, keesler said:

No disrespect, and I hope I'm not being a jackass ....BUT, what the hell does Nick Saban have to do with Gus' inability to field a decent, productive offense?  What impact does Saban have on Auburn's player development, fundamental training plan, roster management, offensive scheme, and game prep or play-calling?  What influence has he had on Herb Hand putting a half-way decent oline on the field that can execute, protect the QB and do their freaking job?  

Auburn's "issues" aren't Saban and just because he retires won't mean Gus will lead AU to miraculously solve the equation and be able to take the upper hand in the SEC West, beat a highly ranked P5 opponent (Clemson/Oklahoma/Wisconsin), or kick UGA's ass on the reg.>:(

I keep seeing this s*** about waiting till Saban retires, stick with a mediocre HC that is more than likely in over his freaking head in addition to being stubborn as a Missouri mule.  When the issues with the program, the attention to detail, the willingness to evolve and adjust have absolutely nothing to do with Saban being employed across the state.

Do people think Gus is so frightened and shell shocked under the tremendous pressure that his ass has is tighter than a snare drum and he can't make his team better all because of Saban?

Nothing . Saban has absolutely nothing to do with it . Just little brother syndrome . And no, being consistently 8-4 should not and will not be acceptable by the the guys who spending the money. Just my 02 cents.

57 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

That is really what I am thinking.  Gus Malzhan is not the answer, but he can be a place holder until Saban leaves Jacobs "Retires" and the next great coach emerges say Neil Brown in 3 to 4 more years.

If Gus does remain and everything is status quo for a few years can it be done realistically without giving him any contract extensions? I mean if 8-4 is it with him then the current contract should not be rolled over in my opinion. If that makes him look elsewhere then so be it. If he wins double digits games in back to back years then you could look at the extension. 

32 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

If you were replying to me, you missed the point of my post. The point is that in the short term, it may be hard/impossible for us to improve on the W-L record or recruiting, and if we miss, which has been consistently shown to be more likely than not by many schools with equivalent or better resources, we run the greater long term risk to the program of missing a shot to rise again to sustained success the way we did in the 1980s. If you weren't replying to me, then never mind! :cool:

I wasn't replying to you specifically, just this notion that when Saban retires all will be well with Auburn football.  We will be able to get over the hump, string together multiple 10+ win seasons, consistently compete for hardware,  we'll finally reach those lofty expectations we've all hoped for, etc.

Auburn has had 4 (FOUR) dozen losses since Saban took that job, Saban accounts for only 7 of those losses.  Auburn's problems are NOT Nick Saban and once folks #1 Stop comparing every damn thing we do and our coach to him, #2 Own up to the fact that Auburn shouldn't strive to measure up to their level and instead focus on kicking every other teams ass the better Auburn will be.

19 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I'd take Kevin Steele as the HC today. Hire a hot shot OC and kee the defensive staff together. 

Kevin Steele was 9-36 in four years at Bayor so NO N NO NO NO NO NO  NO NO

14 minutes ago, keesler said:

I wasn't replying to you specifically, just this notion that when Saban retires all will be well with Auburn football.  We will be able to get over the hump, string together multiple 10+ win seasons, consistently compete for hardware,  we'll finally reach those lofty expectations we've all hoped for, etc.

Auburn has had 4 (FOUR) dozen losses since Saban took that job, Saban accounts for only 7 of those losses.  Auburn's problems are NOT Nick Saban and once folks #1 Stop comparing every damn thing we do and our coach to him, #2 Own up to the fact that Auburn shouldn't strive to measure up to their level and instead focus on kicking every other teams ass the better Auburn will be.

You can drop the mic  now @keesler

I doubt JJ is the AD this time next year and I don't think it will have anything to do with football. Even though we have made a fresh start and a great hire the softball issue will come back to bite him hard. I have the feeling there are more issues that will come to light with some NCAA involvement and that will be the end of him. 

I am hoping Gus can keep the wheels from falling off this season so a new AD can have a year to evaluate the program and make the right decision.

8 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

I doubt JJ is the AD this time next year and I don't think it will have anything to do with football. Even though we have made a fresh start and a great hire the softball issue will come back to bite him hard. I have the feeling there are more issues that will come to light with some NCAA involvement and that will be the end of him. 

I am hoping Gus can keep the wheels from falling off this season so a new AD can have a year to evaluate the program and make the right decision.

Just curious but the majority of your few posts have been on the Softball forum. Is this possible further issue with JJ just wishful thinking or do you know for a fact there is more to it than has already surfaced? You said you have a feeling more will come to light. 

36 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Kevin Steele was 9-36 in four years at Bayor so NO N NO NO NO NO NO  NO NO

That's bad even by Barfield standards. 

Good grief.

Wewon't fire Malzahn in the next 12 months unless he only wins 4 or 5 games. (And he'll win at least 8, so that's not happening)

If Jacobs resigns, retires, whatever- it'll be 12 months before a new coach will be considered by the AD, ergo at least another 2 years of Gus.

I'll echo a sentiment- Looking around the country, there are MAYBE 5 premier head coaches and none of them are leaving. I'll add that Chip Kelly isn't premier and he wouldn't gel with anything at Auburn, at all.

Gus REALLY isn't that bad of a coach and we won't do any better next time if we make a change right now.

(But sign up for that Purdue coach if he's open to the job. When that happens)

I haven't read all the thread on this but plenty of JJ bashing in here.  I am not a "fan" of JJ nor am I a "hater of JJ.  But folks, be realistic.  You may not like the football coaching hires he has made ( and I think what Chizik got paid to not coach was a horrible deal) but what do you think the AD is judged on.  AU sports overall is in the black and if I am not mistaken after the 2016 season, one of very few major programs to be in the black.  Just saw an article that WSJ has AU as a #10 in overall program worth which is pretty impressive.  I know we may not have a #1 football team right now (and I do think Gus has to answer for what he has done with the talent he has been given) but to think the lack of success of the football coach will get JJ fired is a stretch to me.

Great hire in Bruce Pearl, great hire in Mickey Dean (previously a great hire in Myers, granted if JJ was involved in cover-up in the softball issue, he should be fired for that), I believe great hire at baseball.  Other sports are doing well (Softball to super regional last year, Soccer won SEC tournament 2 years ago, Equestrian always contending for SEC/National title, womens tennis reached a high mark last year, Men/Women golf has been successful, swimming and diving is down from their historic run but still very competetive; gymnastics is making regionals each year, womens basketball made NIT last year).  So I see a lot of athletic success (maybe not national championships in every sport but success) across the programs.  I do believe AU is exceeding goals for graduation rates and academic success among its athletes.  Also, no major program violations with NCAA.  And although we have had a few issues with student-athletes acting like college kids, overall not a lot of bad press for our athletes on the private side.

So I ask you, what do you think makes a successful AD?  How does JJ stack up against that criteria?  if your only criteria is a football program with 10 wins each year, you have a legitimate gripe (but that should probably be part of the football coach criteria).  But I think if you look at the overall sports program, AU has a lot going for it either because of or despite JJ.  Doesn't mean it couldn't be better, but tell me where there is failure to fire him.

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

Just curious but the majority of your few posts have been on the Softball forum. Is this possible further issue with JJ just wishful thinking or do you know for a fact there is more to it than has already surfaced? You said you have a feeling more will come to light. 

It's definitely not wishful thinking and as the dad of two girls I hate that something like this crap even happened so I hope it isn't worse than what we have heard. I just have a feeling with the Title IX complaint and investigations into that complaint we will learn more about how things have been ran with the program. I would never post names on a board like this but there are people that have been around the program I really don't trust and don't like the way they do things. I also have no more inside information than any normal fan just my gut telling me something else will come to light. 

Having my first few posts on the softball board is just coincidence. I had lurked here a while and the board has really grown while the one I used to follow has gone to crap. The softball changes happened about the time I came on board. 

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Good grief.

Wewon't fire Malzahn in the next 12 months unless he only wins 4 or 5 games. (And he'll win at least 8, so that's not happening)

If Jacobs resigns, retires, whatever- it'll be 12 months before a new coach will be considered by the AD, ergo at least another 2 years of Gus.

I'll echo a sentiment- Looking around the country, there are MAYBE 5 premier head coaches and none of them are leaving. I'll add that Chip Kelly isn't premier and he wouldn't gel with anything at Auburn, at all.

Gus REALLY isn't that bad of a coach and we won't do any better next time if we make a change right now.

(But sign up for that Purdue coach if he's open to the job. When that happens)

We can get 8 wins a LOT cheaper. Average coaches are a dime a dozen, so if we're conceding 8 wins a season as not that bad, then let's stop paying for top level results. 

"Gus REALLY isn't that bad of a coach and we won't do any better next time if we make a change right now."

this can't be serious!!!!  Unless it comes out that Gus is having an affair or killed someone, he is not getting fired during the season.   

Now, after the season if it's warranted, yes.   To say that there aren't better coaches and he isn't really that bad, you don't know football.   Just about everything he does comes into question.    Name one thing that doesn't.   

IMO, I believe this softball mess may just do in Jay Jacobs. Surely Pat Dye and others on the BOT's won't jump to JJ's side and help him cover it up even more then what JJ has turned his back on the young ladies as they told Jay what happened and when it happened but Jacobs did nothing about it. The ladies said that in an interview that I saw.

4 hours ago, GBAU83 said:

I haven't read all the thread on this but plenty of JJ bashing in here.  I am not a "fan" of JJ nor am I a "hater of JJ.  But folks, be realistic.  You may not like the football coaching hires he has made ( and I think what Chizik got paid to not coach was a horrible deal) but what do you think the AD is judged on.  AU sports overall is in the black and if I am not mistaken after the 2016 season, one of very few major programs to be in the black.  Just saw an article that WSJ has AU as a #10 in overall program worth which is pretty impressive.  I know we may not have a #1 football team right now (and I do think Gus has to answer for what he has done with the talent he has been given) but to think the lack of success of the football coach will get JJ fired is a stretch to me.

Great hire in Bruce Pearl, great hire in Mickey Dean (previously a great hire in Myers, granted if JJ was involved in cover-up in the softball issue, he should be fired for that), I believe great hire at baseball.  Other sports are doing well (Softball to super regional last year, Soccer won SEC tournament 2 years ago, Equestrian always contending for SEC/National title, womens tennis reached a high mark last year, Men/Women golf has been successful, swimming and diving is down from their historic run but still very competetive; gymnastics is making regionals each year, womens basketball made NIT last year).  So I see a lot of athletic success (maybe not national championships in every sport but success) across the programs.  I do believe AU is exceeding goals for graduation rates and academic success among its athletes.  Also, no major program violations with NCAA.  And although we have had a few issues with student-athletes acting like college kids, overall not a lot of bad press for our athletes on the private side.

So I ask you, what do you think makes a successful AD?  How does JJ stack up against that criteria?  if your only criteria is a football program with 10 wins each year, you have a legitimate gripe (but that should probably be part of the football coach criteria).  But I think if you look at the overall sports program, AU has a lot going for it either because of or despite JJ.  Doesn't mean it couldn't be better, but tell me where there is failure to fire him.

Well if you going to use actual facts as a basis for your argument then you can't participate. ;) The thing that bothers me about JJ is that while all of those accomplishments are very admirable and positive for Auburn the bread and butter of the Auburn athletics is football and always will be. He has hired two head coaches, one with little HC success and one with little HC experience. Maybe that's the best he could do but that is not what we expect. I'll paraphrase Pat Dye's line and say that it should not be a question of "if Auburn is going to be good" but "how good is Auburn going to be?". We've had too many ifs the past several years. JJ seems to be doing well on the majority of things made public. Football fans on this board want to win football games. I think most of us feel like as long as he is the AD then we will see more of the same. I am as guilty as anyone in being critical of the results we see. My question is how does Auburn get over this hump? Something needs to change. Gus is a good coach and a good guy but I want to see great results, not good results. 

My biggest problem with this hypothetical is the (8-4). I don't believe anyone will be hitting the road with that record.

It'll take at least a 6-6 record and the PTB having a guy they are absolutely in love with.

I would throw all of my money at Chris Peterson even though it would never happen. Washington has no business being as good as they are. He's done more with much less than what we currently have.

Mike Leach at Washington State is another name often tossed around and dismissed here.

Rocky Long at San Diego State is apart of a program that's run first and overachieving.

Philip Montgomery could be interesting.

Well, if Auburn does, in fact, can Gus and goes after a new head coach, then I hope they break the bank and go after a home run hire. Just who that would be is beyond me. All I ask is don't come back with another Bowden, Chizik, or Gus. 

Arkansas was mentioned in the coaching search.  They may very well fire Butthead after this season, but they are not in the same league as Auburn when it comes to finding a replacement. Arkansas has a major geography problem and will always be fighting over the kids that AU, LSU, UAT, ATM and Texas didn't have a spot for.  They'll have a signature win or two every year, but will generally be a smoldering dumpster through no fault of their own. 

As for us, Auburn's biggest problem is Auburn.  There is a way to live the Creed and still whoop ass, we just seem reluctant to find it. 

20 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

That is really what I am thinking.  Gus Malzhan is not the answer, but he can be a place holder until Saban leaves Jacobs "Retires" and the next great coach emerges say Neil Brown in 3 to 4 more years.

Malzahn has been a placeholder for the last 4 years.    It is sad that  Gus has  reduced us to accepting him as a placeholder.  Time to get rid of him before he puts us further behind.   We are Auburn,  and we deserve better.

Archived