Worth Replacing Gus?

ToomersStreet

You dont keep a coach as a placeholder. You move on. If it doesnt work with the next guy then so be it. At least you gave something new a shot. Having a placeholder coach means pur boosters dont give money which means we fall further behind and other programs catch up. 

We have to find a coach who is passionate about developing players. I believe malzahn was like that at one point but as a HC he isnt. I think there are some great coordinators out there and a few (3) HC that are realistic to come to Auburn. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Well, if Auburn does, in fact, can Gus and goes after a new head coach, then I hope they break the bank and go after a home run hire. Just who that would be is beyond me. All I ask is don't come back with another Bowden, Chizik, or Gus. 

and who would that be? There aren't any available and no guarantee they would be successful.

Auburn cant afford to break the bank paying Gus 4 mill plus a new coach making at least that.

Are any ex coaches still on the payroll?

4-6

5-6

5-5-1

3-8

5-7

and of course 3-9

Last season records of our HCs since 1950.

Firing Gus in a 8-4 or 8-5 scenario just isn't gonna happen. No matter how angry you get.

5 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

4-6

5-6

5-5-1

3-8

5-7

and of course 3-9

Firing Gus in a 8-4 or 8-5 scenario just isn't gonna happen. No matter how angry you get.

I would agree but if he loses to UGA and the turds again that makes 8 in a row to those 2 teams and I think that will do it. 

1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

Unless those two teams have a rash of injuries or something along the lines of an earthquake, he will lose again

But what if we beat both 3-2 and 4-2? :)

43 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

4-6

5-6

5-5-1

3-8

5-7

and of course 3-9

Gus will be back, sorry guys

39 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I would agree but if he loses to UGA and the turds again that makes 8 in a row to those 2 teams and I think that will do it. 

46 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

4-6

5-6

5-5-1

3-8

5-7

and of course 3-9

No kidding...if Gus wins 9 or 10 games, look for a contract extension.:beer2:

59 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

No kidding...if Gus wins 9 or 10 games, look for a contract extension.:beer2:

My hope is that it would require back to back 10 win seasons to extend the contract. Just show some freaking consistency in double digits wins. Not 8-4 consistency, we have that already. 

1 hour ago, CullmanTiger said:

Gus will be back, sorry guys

You will probably be right, but it won't be because Gus earned it unless he beats either uga or bama and wins at least 9 regular season games.

wde

12 minutes ago, gr82be said:

My hope is that it would require back to back 10 win seasons to extend the contract. Just show some freaking consistency in double digits wins. Not 8-4 consistency, we have that already. 

Yep. Any coach coming in could easily win 7-8 wins with Auburn recruiting. So far Gus Buster has been consistently mediocre. 

58 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Yep. Any coach coming in could easily win 7-8 wins with Auburn recruiting. So far Gus Buster has been consistently mediocre. 

And a whole bunch of the bow tie society are just fine with that

You guys can keep throwing around win loss records and that's ok. But don't lose sight of the fact that half of his losses are direct  coaching screw-ups. Even when we're winning, or feeling warm and fuzzy in the pre-season, I think back to the last few UGA games, and my tollerence for CGM vanishes. Surely the smokey backrooms up on the hill feel the same. I don't like his chances.

Doesn't a  home run hire just mean bringing in someone that can recruit, develop talent and win a fair share of titles while keeping up with our rivals in head to head meetings? That does not mean the new coach must have already done those things as a head coach at another school or NFL.  It could be anyone that is highly successful as a coordinator or coach at a lower level.  Gene Chizik won a national title at Auburn.  We just need someone that believes in hard work and has the talent & wisdom to succeed. I didn't see Oklahoma chasing Chip Kelly and they appear to be doing just fine.

3 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

You will probably be right, but it won't be because Gus earned it unless he beats either uga or bama and wins at least 9 regular season games.

wde

If I live to be 108  I'll bring in as much money as Gus will get this year, I don't think he's earned anything close to his contract. I don't  blame him for the contract either, but Gus will be Gus and tonight against Mizzou, the old Gus would run the ball as much and as often as he could. I'll be watching, always have.

Archived