Some thoughts on Mizzou......

JMR

50 minutes ago, JMR said:

Their top running back has struggled in the early season with an injury. Although he's played, he hasn't been nearly as effective as expected. Not sure when he's supposed to be fully healthy, but I can't think of any injury that "just gets better" when you're grinding on it every week.

Are you sure you didn't get confused and start talking about AU here? >:D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ertrader said:

Are you sure you didn't get confused and start talking about AU here? >:D

That's gonna leave a mark!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ALTiger said:

Is this what Mercer was running on D, that gave us some trouble?

Some, not a lot. The 3-3 box is tough on the inside zone with 6 defenders vs 5 OL, unless there is a lead blocker. But it is beatable outside. I am looking forward to seeing what our plan is. 

• Like 1

Thanks Coach, enjoyed the analysis. I think KMartin and DBarrett could have lots of success against Mizzou — if they play. Also Iggy looked good running to the outside last week. I think this is a game our playmakers on both sides of the ball could dominate so I’m intrigued as to how we plan to use those guys.

• Like 1

The more i've learned about Mizzou the more worried i've gotten. Just looking at the blowouts by USCe and Purdue will get your guard down. But they're strong points match up well with our week points. They've got some guys that can get after the QB which we have struggled with and they have a QB that knows how to avoid the sacks. Should or running game continue to struggle and their QB and WR get on the same page this could be a game we could easily lose. I'm expecting we'll be able to handle them but its not as sure a thing as i was thinking earlier in the week. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JMR said:

Some, not a lot. The 3-3 box is tough on the inside zone with 6 defenders vs 5 OL, unless there is a lead blocker. But it is beatable outside. I am looking forward to seeing what our plan is. 

Me too. If I were a betting man, I would still bet on many inside zone runs. 

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

7 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Me too. If I were a betting man, I would still bet on many inside zone runs. 

As would I. 

• Facepalm 1

Thanks Coach, good stuff. This is the game our OL needs to start gelling. If they can do that the rest of it will fall into place on that side of the ball much easier. Mizzou is wounded but that is just the type of team that can get their back up.

4 hours ago, JMR said:

As would I. 

So guess we are back to that old argument....do you run the offense you want to run....or do you take what the defense gives you... :)

• Like 1

Just now, doverstutts said:

yep....mathews may be healthy enough to go...game time decision

Anyone else at the point where you just hold your breath right before every game to see who is injured or suspended? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

the game dictates Brother 64

Oh I agree with that but recall quite a few complaints that we were not imposing our will on teams and stuff like that..  As for me...hoping we know what their weaknesses are and that we exploit the dickens out of them.

Just now, OnthePlains said:

Anyone else at the point where you just hold your breath right before every game to see who is injured or suspended? 

me....i expect something every week....i really do feel hopeless concerning football

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Oh I agree with that but recall quite a few complaints that we were not imposing our will on teams and stuff like that..  As for me...hoping we know what their weaknesses are and that we exploit the dickens out of them.

Hopefully the injury bug will not get us this year. Memory serving me, we were playing as well or better than anyone in the nation  by mid season last year..

37 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Does Gus or any coach owe you a report of that nature prior to any game? Quit fooling the bookies young man......................

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

Does Gus or any coach owe you a report of that nature prior to any game? Quit fooling the bookies young man......................

What?  Go to bed Salty its late.