Trump’s Attack On Black Athletes May Bring a League to Its Feet

Auburn85

2 hours ago, japantiger said:

This is why we can't have nice things...discussing anything with you guys is like talking about Brawndo...read the words dude....I don't care what they are doing to a symbol...they could be protesting the chafing that the tag in the back of their jock causes...I don't care what it is they're protesting....I just want it away from the game....... 

I don't think they are interested in hearing your personal limits for when protesting injustice is acceptable.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/27/2017 at 10:40 AM, TitanTiger said:

I did.  And I heard him say this:

"Unfortunately, I threw (my teammates) under the bus, unintentionally," he said. "Every single time I see that picture of me standing by myself, I feel embarrassed."

It's not as you wish to portray it.  

But....he kept standing there. bet his jersey sales are up

I Just Wish NFL Players Could Find A Way To Protest Without Starting A National Dialogue

Like so many Americans, I was shocked and disgusted when I first saw San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick sitting down for the playing of our national anthem as a protest against social injustice. In the weeks since, it seems like every time I turn on my TV to watch football, there are more and more NFL players sitting, kneeling, or raising their fists during “The Star-Spangled Banner.” And while I certainly respect the right of these players to protest, I just wish they could find a different way to do so that doesn’t start any kind of national dialogue.

Before I go any further, I want to make one thing clear: I completely understand that as African Americans, these players are frustrated with what they perceive as targeted police brutality against minorities. I realize that they are directly affected by racially motivated discrimination, unfair treatment, and institutional oppression. Believe me, I get it. But the bottom line is that there are other forms of demonstration that can draw attention to these issues without sparking a substantive and meaningful discourse across the country. Would that really be so hard?

Part of what makes America so great is that our citizens have the freedom of speech. I’m all for these players—or anyone else, for that matter—expressing their opinions, but once they start shifting the nation’s focus to serious and pressing matters facing millions of people, that’s where I draw the line. I’m sorry, but I don’t believe in any so-called “protest” if it involves raising awareness of systemic problems within our society.

Nobody wants that. As a proud American, I know I don’t.

No, America is not perfect, and yes, there are challenges facing us as a nation that need to be addressed. But a big public spectacle that inspires collective self-reflection and a thoughtful examination of the country’s morals is not the solution. Nor, I might add, is using fame and notoriety to start a conversation that tries to widen the perspectives of people from all different walks of life.

Instead of going down on one knee or raising a fist during the anthem, can’t these players stand up for what they believe in without creating a platform for the free exchange of ideas and differing points of view? I mean, isn’t that—and not an environment of honesty and empathy—what we should be striving for?

Though I admire their intentions, I hope that going forward, these men choose a different forum for their actions, ideally one that is totally out of the public eye and garners no national media coverage whatsoever. A sporting event is, frankly, not the time or place for anyone—least of all a bunch of millionaire professional athletes—to be making political statements, especially if those statements cause people to engage in introspection or mindful discussion.

So to all the players around the NFL who have joined one another in protest, I would just say this: Do what you feel is right. But please try to remember that when you make your point in front of that red, white, and blue flag, you’re also forcing me—as well as so many of your fellow Americans—to think, consider the feelings of others, and act like a human being.

Maybe Colin Kaepernick should think about that before deciding to kneel at the 49ers’ next game.

http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/i-just-wish-nfl-players-could-find-a-way-to-protes-53971

2 hours ago, japantiger said:

This is why we can't have nice things...discussing anything with you guys is like talking about Brawndo...read the words dude....I don't care what they are doing to a symbol...they could be protesting the chafing that the tag in the back of their jock causes...I don't care what it is they're protesting....I just want it away from the game.......

I am never surprised when leftist disrespect the flag; or any institution, it's their MO...just do it somewhere I'm not paying for entertainment....how about this, do it during Grey's Anatomy....that way it would be a bunch of people that give a s*** all having a big love fest and commiserating how awful their millionaire lives are...#justplaythedamngame #stopyourmillionairewhining #itswhyilovehighschoolandcollegefootball

Great post.

On 9/27/2017 at 4:52 PM, TitanTiger said:

Eric Reid, teammate of Colin Kaepernick, on why they chose to kneel as their protest:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/opinion/colin-kaepernick-football-protests.html

Great article that took a year to write. Colin is doing great things now. An American Icon.

http://codeblackreport.com/posts/5-little-known-things-colin-kaepernick-has-done-for-the-black-community

21 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I wish they could find another way to protest Titan.This thing is not working.  First and foremost are sandals. A proper peaceful protester requires the protester to wear sandals. It is on the Berkeley entrance requirement list. One can not play football at the expected level of pro football in sandals.    

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't think they are interested in hearing your personal limits for when protesting injustice is acceptable.

Well at least you're being honest and confirming that they're not interested in a "dialogue". So  would you quit peddling that  nonsense about starting a dialogue when even you know it's not true? They want a "dialogue" on their terms, anyone that disagrees is just being divisive in their view......

We're not getting a dialogue. What we're getting is indoctrination by a sports league that has shown time and again they aren't consistent or interested in both sides. When the NFL fines players for wearing special cleats or eye black for a cause they're invested in, yet turn around and full throatily support players for doing something to bring attention to another cause without even a slap on the wrist, it shows the blatant hypocrisy in what the NFL deems appropriate. There's multiple layers to object to with the NFL's stance.

Even though I strongly disagree with Colin  Kaepernick's rhetoric about cops and the U.S. flag, what does it say about the NFL allowing all the protests now but still haven't accepted Kaepernick back in the NFL? .....The NFL's stances on players freedom of expression is warped. 

When an Army ranger apologizes for standing for the national anthem, then a dialogue doesn't seem like it's going to amount to anything. If an Army ranger feels the need to apologize, then I have to wonder about the locker room environment and how much support there really is for those who have chosen to stand? You hear tepid support from other players when they talk about those who chose to stand. It's pretty discouraging that someone that served their country  is apologizing for standing for the national anthem. 

When someone's rights are being infringed upon under he guise of doing things as a team by staying in the locker room or not standing for the anthem, then that's the definition of coercion. Pittsburgh's Alejandro Villanueva was put in a bad situation by his teammates. His team and coach should have apologized to him for putting him in that situation when he wasn't comfortable with it. They knew his military background but still wanted 100% participation as a team. That just shows how one sided and  intolerant they are of those that don't go along with them.

Those coaches and players that want to do things as a team are being just as divisive as those they condemn for wanting them to stand. They're trying to apply a moral litmus test by coercing other players into joining them for the sake of the team and unity.

5 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Well at least you're being honest and confirming that they're not interested in a "dialogue"

And yet ironically, you're dishonestly mischaracterizing what I said.  They are interested in a dialogue.  They are not interested in hearing once again when a white people think it's ok for black people to protest.

Snipped the rest as it flowed logically, but erroneously from the above premise.

The methods black people have used to protest, frankly, have never been popular.  Gallup poll numbers from 1961 as the Civil Rights movement protests were ramping up:

2300-galluppoll1961-1024x983.jpg&w=1484

That is why they are uninterested in hearing white people tell them when protesting is ok.  Because history tells them that those who don't want to hear it never think it's ok.  It inconveniences them, annoys them, offends them, forces them to see/hear/think about something they would rather not.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

The methods black people have used to protest, frankly, have never been popular.

The “protest” toward a SOB comment would’ve been ill received if white players were the ones stirring the pot as well.

The National Anthem Protests -- Do Facts Matter?

Kaepernick said, "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. ... There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder." According to the Centers for Disease Control, since 1968 police killings of blacks have declined nearly 75 percent. According to The Washington Post, almost 500 whites were killed by cops in 2015, an average of more than one a day. Two hundred fifty-nine blacks were killed by the police. Most suspects killed by police had a weapon.

Now for some perspective.

Do you know anyone who has been struck by lightning? Neither do most people. Yet each year an average of about 300 Americans are killed or injured by lightning. That's approximately 40 more than the number of blacks killed by the police in 2015. Is there an "epidemic" of Americans being struck and injured by lightning? We don't know the number of black men injured by lightning every year, but let's assume the number is 7 percent of the total people struck by lightning, mirroring the percentage of the black male population in America. That brings the average number of black men injured by lightning to about 21.

Out of the 965 people killed by the police in 2015 (as of Dec. 24), the Post reported (on Dec. 26) that "less than 4 percent" involved an unarmed black man and a white cop, the fact pattern most commonly referred to by anti-police activists like Black Lives Matter. Last year, The Washington Post put the number of unarmed black men killed by the police at 17, less than the number of blacks likely struck by lightning. Twenty-two unarmed whites were killed by the police. Any death that results from police misconduct is one death too many, but the point is that police killing of a suspect is rare, no matter the race of the suspect or the cop. And a police shooting of an unarmed black male is still more rare.

But blacks are routinely and disproportionately being stopped, pulled over and/or arrested due to police misconduct, right?

No, not according to numerous studies, many by the government. Take traffic stops. In 2013, the National Institute of Justice, the research and evaluation agency of the Department of Justice, published a study of whether the police, as a result of racial bias, stop blacks more than other drivers. The conclusion? Any racial disparity in traffic stops is due to "differences in offending" in addition to "differences in exposure to the police" and "differences in driving patterns."

According to Philippe Lemoine, writing in National Review, a white person is, on average, more likely to have interactions with the police in any year than a black person, 20.7 percent vs. 17.5 percent. It is true that a black person is more likely to have multiple contacts with the police. But according to the data, multiple contacts with the police are rare, as well. Lemoine writes that 1.2 percent of white men have more than three contacts with the police in a year versus 1.5 percent of black men.

But what about the experience of a black person with the police versus that of a white person? The DOJ's Bureau of Justice Statistics regularly studies this, too. Every year, the BJS surveys a representative sample of 70,000 people. Among the questions, the survey asks whether respondents had contact with the police in the last 12 months. If the answer is "yes," the survey asks a number of follow-up questions, including about use of force.

Let's concentrate on cases involving use of force.

Lemoine writes: "Only 0.6 percent of black men experience physical force by the police in any given year, while approximately 0.2 percent of white men do. ... Moreover, keep in mind that these tallies of police violence include violence that is legally justified." And keep in mind the much higher levels of crime by mostly black males. It is estimated that half of all homicides are committed by, and mostly against, black males.

In 1995, the federal government looked at 42,500 defendants in the nation's 75 largest counties. A government statistician, Patrick A. Langan, found "no evidence that, in the places where blacks in the United States have most of their contacts with the justice system, that system treats them more harshly than whites." So much for the so-called "institutional racism" in the criminal justice system.

Recently, in Illinois, in a kids' 8-and-under football league, the entire team, which appeared to be all black, including the coach, took a knee during the national anthem. Asked why, one third-grade player parroted Kaepernick, saying, according to the coach, "Because black people are getting killed, and nobody's going to jail."

Facts don't matter. The coach, presented with a teachable moment, fumbled it away.

This is bringing out the best and the worst.....Cam now making stupid statements....quoted in Charlotte paper that Kapernick "made the ultimate sacrifice" ....with his protest.  

Cam better stick to trying to regain his QB form and leave politics...and history to others.  JMO

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

This is bringing out the best and the worst.....Cam now making stupid statements....quoted in Charlotte paper that Kapernick "made the ultimate sacrifice" ....with his protest.  

Cam better stick to trying to regain his QB form and leave politics...and history to others.  JMO

Cam was straying the other way last year and caught a lot of flak for it.

Black Atlanta railed into him and other popular sites named him in their list of biggest Uncle Toms. Even if you ain't the type person to let petty BS get under your skin, ... that's gotta sting a bit.

16 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Cam was straying the other way last year and caught a lot of flak for it.

Black Atlanta railed into him and other popular sites named him in their list of biggest Uncle Toms. Even if you ain't the type person to let petty BS get under your skin, ... that's gotta sting a bit.

I understand...he's in a real box and I hate that follow black players expect him be "more black" or whatever they are expecting.     He's a good guy and is getting pushed in a direction he is not prepared to go I expect. . 

This whole damn thing is embarrassing. The crybaby bs coming from the right is embarrassing. All because some people simply, quietly, peacefully kneeling for two minutes once a week. This comes from a guy that thinks the "injustice or oppression " is more imagined than real. 

44 minutes ago, alexava said:

This whole damn thing is embarrassing. The crybaby bs coming from the right is embarrassing. All because some people simply, quietly, peacefully kneeling for two minutes once a week. This comes from a guy that thinks the "injustice or oppression " is more imagined than real. 

From the right? You got it backwards,junior. 

If NFL fanatics that buy NFL Ticket, are dropping the ticket like it’s hot, that’s called “putting the money where your mouth is. “ And this was in response to a year long  “protest” in a non-political arena involving Kaepernick alongside his comments comparing our cops to modern day slave patrols. 

Dont forget, Kaep would’ve been on the Ravens roster by now if it wasn’t for his GF( who is smart enough to know what she did was stupid.) So let’s stop the martyr act as well. https://www.google.com/amp/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baltimore-sports-blog/bs-sp-ravens-ray-lewis-colin-kaepernick-20170905-story,amp.html

10 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

And yet ironically, you're dishonestly mischaracterizing what I said.  They are interested in a dialogue.  They are not interested in hearing once again when a white people think it's ok for black people to protest.

Snipped the rest as it flowed logically, but erroneously from the above premise.

But that's what dialogue is for. They aren't winning on ideas so they resort to labeling folks who disagree with how they're going about this as being divisive. You can still support their right to protest without having to take a knee with them but some of the coaches and players would rather it be done as a team. That's not ok........  No one should have to be coerced into joining them. 

They don't want to hear any criticism with how they've gone about doing this. Instead of being reasonable and respectful in carrying out the protest, they only want free speech and expression for themselves. Anyone that disagrees with them needs to just shut up because they don't want to hear what they have to say. 

Archived